Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

EC posted:

Astraweb is going to be similar. Spend some cash on a backup server that isn't reselling the same service and you should be fine. I use Astraweb and Blocknews and it seems to be working fine.

I also use astraweb with blocknews and it seems to be a great combo. I can't remember the last time I had something fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Anyone else running SAB on a router/NAS/low powered device? I created a thread on the SAB forums here looking for tips

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I could have sworn there was a way to set priority of the unrar.exe process in the Windows build. When it runs now, it runs as Low, which can sometimes hangup the extraction process on my server for a couple of hours. Is there a way to change that? I swear I've looked at every menu item ever.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

EC posted:

I could have sworn there was a way to set priority of the unrar.exe process in the Windows build. When it runs now, it runs as Low, which can sometimes hangup the extraction process on my server for a couple of hours. Is there a way to change that? I swear I've looked at every menu item ever.
In Windows it isn't in the app, you have to go into task manager while unrar is running, and set the priority of rar.exe.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

inpheaux posted:

In Windows it isn't in the app, you have to go into task manager while unrar is running, and set the priority of rar.exe.

Yep, but it doesn't set it permanently. But no big deal, I need to figure out the runaway process on my server first, I guess.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

If you are running Microsoft Security Essentials you should start there. I have found that it hates big files.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm pretty sure it's demigrator.exe running away on my WHS box again. Pretty sure I'm gonna switch servers next year.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Did astraweb just die?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

maniacripper posted:

Did astraweb just die?

Seems to work for me on the east coast, though I freaked out when you said that. As easy as it may be to switch from one provider to another, there's still a bit of inertia that makes it hard to just jump ship on a whim.

Strat
Nov 6, 2004
For anyone that did the newsdemon trick of signing up to trial and then cancelling to get the full plan @ $8, you may want to check your credit card bill. I did this but got charged the full $20.

Just raised a ticket so will see what comes of it and will let you all know.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Whenever I restart my computer SABnzbd doesn't start up itself despite being in my startup folder. And then when I start it up manually, it changes port, which is annoying because it doesn't let me change it back, then I have to reconfigure SickBeard. :argh:

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

tomm posted:

Whenever I restart my computer SABnzbd doesn't start up itself despite being in my startup folder. And then when I start it up manually, it changes port, which is annoying because it doesn't let me change it back, then I have to reconfigure SickBeard. :argh:
Don't use the startup folder. Reinstall sabnzbd using the installer build and tell it to automatically start.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

inpheaux posted:

Don't use the startup folder. Reinstall sabnzbd using the installer build and tell it to automatically start.

Guess I'll do that then.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004

Softcox posted:

Anyone else running SAB on a router/NAS/low powered device? I created a thread on the SAB forums here looking for tips

I tried to get it to run with dd-wrt on a linksys e3000. it worked, but slow enough that it made sense to go over to nzbget + web front end, which is great. also running rtorrent with rutrrent front end on another port and the reliable. new contents that doesn't require unparring is best as unparring and verifying takes a long, long time.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

maniacripper posted:

Did astraweb just die?

The Modern Leper posted:

Seems to work for me on the east coast, though I freaked out when you said that. As easy as it may be to switch from one provider to another, there's still a bit of inertia that makes it hard to just jump ship on a whim.

Also on the east coast. Also working fine here.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Nask26 posted:

What should I do if they start throttling 443 also?

Complain that your web browser stopped working, because port 443 is also used for secure http ([url]https://[/url] urls). It's also encrypted, so there is no way of an outside party knowing what data you're fetching.

Theoretically they could just throttle traffic to known usenet datacenters but I haven't heard of any ISP ever doing that. Switching to port 443 should be fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone else get a bunch of

quote:

Authentication missing, please enter username/password from Config->General into your 3rd party program:

errors? I have a few things that connect to SAB (sick beard, mynzb on my phone etc) but nothing I think that's missing the auth details. My only guess is possibly people port scanning, triggering the auth request and then not getting it right?

Newtie
Dec 4, 2008

The pHo posted:

Does anyone else get a bunch of

errors? I have a few things that connect to SAB (sick beard, mynzb on my phone etc) but nothing I think that's missing the auth details. My only guess is possibly people port scanning, triggering the auth request and then not getting it right?

I got this error for days once & couldn't figure out what was causing it. It turned out to be an NZB import extension for Chrome on another network PC that had been missing the SAB API key, triggering the error.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Just kind of randomly came across this thread the other day and stuck my head in. It's everything I didn't know I needed, once I beat all associated programs into submission.

The only sad thing is that I share my internet connection with family, so I need to self-throttle if I don't want them to kill me. But, man, letting it go at full speed before they started getting up this morning was a thing of sheer beauty.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Newtie posted:

I got this error for days once & couldn't figure out what was causing it. It turned out to be an NZB import extension for Chrome on another network PC that had been missing the SAB API key, triggering the error.

Really can't think what's causing it, just realised they're all 30 minutes apart too. Sickbeard is keyed up fine or it wouldn't be working, and my laptop is a fresh install with nothing that accesses it (beyond me in a web browser, but that's working fine too). Hmph.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

neongrey posted:

The only sad thing is that I share my internet connection with family, so I need to self-throttle if I don't want them to kill me. But, man, letting it go at full speed before they started getting up this morning was a thing of sheer beauty.
In SABnzbd, Config -> Scheduling, set up a throttle Speedlimit Limit/Unlimit or Queue Pause/Resume cycle.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Or if you know you just need to pause it for up to 6 hours, use the button in the top right of the queue list. It's one of my favorite features for when I get a bunch of items queued up during the day, then decide to play a game or something.

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005
I've heard that there are going to have good service plans coming up this Black Friday. Anyone know which companies did this in the past, and what is considered a good buy?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Atreus posted:

I've heard that there are going to have good service plans coming up this Black Friday. Anyone know which companies did this in the past, and what is considered a good buy?

The highwinds resellers and none of them.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

duz posted:

The highwinds resellers and none of them.

Disagree. I've been with Newsdemon for a year at $6 a month and I've had very few incompletes. Even if you get a chunk of Blocknews as a backup, it's still cheaper in the long run. It's not like Supernews doesn't have incompletes also.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep as mentioned before, my newshosting runs great these days. Grabbed 900 day old files with no issues (my blocknews account has barely been touched). They have a bad rep but seem to have done what's necessary to sort themselves out.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone have experience with the ios app to control SABNZBD? All I really want to do is check my queue when I'm not at home.

Right now I'm thinking about just accessing the web interface remotely, but I'm not totally sure the best way to do that. I'm guessing setting up an account with DYNDNS and having that point to the system that I'm running SABNZBD on. Any other ideas?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
MyNZB will do everything you want, and probably more.

Putka
Apr 11, 2007
Jailhouse rock!
I just bought an account on supernews and man was it fast, 20mb/s down nonstop without a problem. Well too good to be true, now I can only get down 4.9-5.1mb/s on my 200mb connection which is pretty lovely. I didn't touch any settings, but I just got an error that I'm trying to use too many connections? Using sabnzbd.
I used to get more speed with my old lightning usenet account which had retention of complete poo poo and only 12 connections.
Using SSL with a 563 port, 30 connections, 1086 days retention etc. What could be the cause behind this?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Putka posted:

I just bought an account on supernews and man was it fast, 20mb/s down nonstop without a problem. Well too good to be true, now I can only get down 4.9-5.1mb/s on my 200mb connection which is pretty lovely. I didn't touch any settings, but I just got an error that I'm trying to use too many connections? Using sabnzbd.
I used to get more speed with my old lightning usenet account which had retention of complete poo poo and only 12 connections.
Using SSL with a 563 port, 30 connections, 1086 days retention etc. What could be the cause behind this?

I'll ask the obvious question: have you tried using less connections?

p.s. I want to punch your mouth for saying 5 mb/s is lovely.

Putka
Apr 11, 2007
Jailhouse rock!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'll ask the obvious question: have you tried using less connections?

p.s. I want to punch your mouth for saying 5 mb/s is lovely.

Sorry I didn't realise to answer to this, but yeah I've tried everything between from 1-30, if I go under 30 it just slows the speed down even further.
Also just to make you want to punch me in the mouth even more, I pay 30 bucks for it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Try it without SSL.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

EC posted:

Seconding this. Well worth the $2 or whatever it costs. You can add to your que, pause, delete and search on most popular sites. It loads super fast even on 3G also.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

EC posted:

Drizzt01 posted:

Seconding this. Well worth the $2 or whatever it costs. You can add to your que, pause, delete and search on most popular sites. It loads super fast even on 3G also.

OK, you guys sold me on it. Any way to access sickbeard remotely?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

diremonk posted:

OK, you guys sold me on it. Any way to access sickbeard remotely?

Open up the port it uses and type in your external IP and port number in a browser. Works fine, looks fine.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
Has anyone had issues with sickbeard corrupting its SQLite database? I used to run sickbeard on OSX and it ran flawlessly, but since I've moved to a Linux box the database has become corrupt three times now, and I keep having to reimport my shows.

Not sure what to try now!

Newtie
Dec 4, 2008

The pHo posted:

Really can't think what's causing it, just realised they're all 30 minutes apart too. Sickbeard is keyed up fine or it wouldn't be working, and my laptop is a fresh install with nothing that accesses it (beyond me in a web browser, but that's working fine too). Hmph.

Did you find out the cause yet? One other thing I might suggest is to see if you can get a log of what IP addresses are trying to connect on your SAB port every 30 minutes & work backwards from there. Your firewall software might keep that sort of info, depending on which you use.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Welp. Now I can't connect to Astraweb on the East Coast. SABnzbd's "Test Server" option is just spinning, and the download is listed as "waiting".

Not sure why it hasn't just switched to my blocknews backup (which I can connect to).

EDIT: Seems to have resolved. Not sure what the hiccup was, but I'll leave this up since it seems to corroborate what someone else was saying before. Other than this, I've had 0 problems with Astraweb, and don't even mind that I'm paying a couple dollars more a month (kept the $11 Kleverig special, though I think that $9/mo is the new standard pricing for unlimited accounts).

EDIT: Sorry, don't mean to give a real-time account of my experience. Speed's dropped to 1 K/s, and now the whole thing's shut down again. I'll wait until things are actually resolved before I post again.

EDIT: Next day. Switched the port back from 443 to 563 (had switched to 443 after experiencing what I thought was throttling last week). Download jumped back, but I was only grabbing one file so I can't say it's "fixed." What's the new hotness when it comes to unlimited downloads?

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 16, 2011

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I think its been Supernews for awhile now in terms of price and retention. $10 for 1000+ days, and they're a Giganews reseller.

I've also had that problem, where I had no/minimal connection until switching SSL ports. My guess is its ISP related but I can't prove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Atreus posted:

Usenetnow / Blocknews started newsgroup black friday like a year ago and then the others followed suit. I cant remember what the prices are though. Newbs will be all over highwinds poo poo service but it will be worth paying a dollar or two more for something better and more reliable.