Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grey Area posted:

There are Firefox 3 themes for Firefox 4+...

He could also right click the bar and reenable the menu bar and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
IE6 was good enough for me, for I fear change.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yep, I don't like where firefox is going at all but fixing the interface isn't *too* hard (harder than it should be though.)

It only takes a single addon, Status-4-Evar. Don't even have to add themes.

Here's how my FF7 looks:

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Is that *actually* XP you're running in classic mode? No offense but I'm guessing that's why you're so attached to FF of yesteryear.

You're not alone, mind you, I used to change XP to classic until I got used to the "normal" XP start menu. I'm rather fond of the Vista/7 implementation too. Couldn't imagine doing it in classic.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sergeant Rock posted:

IE6 was good enough for me, for I fear change.

You are sick. You are why the internet is a vapid wasteland.

/sarcasm

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Any further word on if Mozilla is actually serious about providing an enterprise build with slower releases with version 8? Everything I've seen is a couple months old. Figured they would announce something last week...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Any further word on if Mozilla is actually serious about providing an enterprise build with slower releases with version 8? Everything I've seen is a couple months old. Figured they would announce something last week...
Firefox 10 will be the first Extended Support Release. See the November meeting notes for the Enterprise User Working Group. If you care, you should probably at least join the mailing list, as they are finalizing the ESR plans now.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ryanbruce posted:

Is that *actually* XP you're running in classic mode? No offense but I'm guessing that's why you're so attached to FF of yesteryear.

Not sure about the other person, but i'm using win7 and i've always been inlove with the old win2000 classic style, so i pretty much don't care much for the "eye candy" win7 offers. Thus i prefer the classic style.

and i've spent time "customizing" the latest offerings from mozilla, but i just don't care for the new interface or the x,y,z new features.

while they still offer security updates etc for 3.6.* then i'll probably just stay using it.

NVB fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 15, 2011

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Well, as long as you are ok with losing desktop composition support in 7 go ahead, but that's off topic. I figure they will end 3.6 support when 10 is ready, so I wouldn't get too comfortable just yet

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Ryokurin posted:

Well, as long as you are ok with losing desktop composition support in 7 go ahead, but that's off topic. I figure they will end 3.6 support when 10 is ready, so I wouldn't get too comfortable just yet

Does that mean they lose all the Peek and taskbar preview functions too?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

For those who care, Pale Moon just updated to version 8.

The auto updater didn't work for me, said it couldn't validate the file despite multiple attempts.

Ended up downloading the installer by hand and checking the SHA-1 hash by hand. Works fine.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!
Does anyone know how to stop Firefox from running javascript that disables text selection and right clicking without disabling javascript altogether? Why the hell does any browser obey this sort of thing in the first place?

Example (please no derailing talking about the content of the link I'm posting. This is not the thread for it): http://www.michaelcrook.org/2011/11/15/ashley-billasano-did-not-defend-her-virtue/

In case anyone's wondering, Chrome and IE obey this as well.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

For the right click, in the preferences dialog, Content tab, the Advanced button next to Enable JavaScript, uncheck "Disable or replace context menus"

The text selection disabling works by blocking mouse clicks entirely, and that's not something that's configurable. Ctrl-A still works, as does View Source. You could even edit the page in question to remove the script that does it.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Prize Loser posted:

Does anyone know how to stop Firefox from running javascript that disables text selection and right clicking without disabling javascript altogether? Why the hell does any browser obey this sort of thing in the first place?

Example (please no derailing talking about the content of the link I'm posting. This is not the thread for it): http://www.michaelcrook.org/2011/11/15/ashley-billasano-did-not-defend-her-virtue/

Use noscript or the web developer tool bar https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/web-developer/ and disable javascript.

BTW,

quote:

I don’t care what did or did not happen to her. First and foremost, I don’t believe rape exists.

:stare:

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

For the right click, in the preferences dialog, Content tab, the Advanced button next to Enable JavaScript, uncheck "Disable or replace context menus"

I KNEW there was something like this in the options, I just couldn't find it for the life of me.

Mr. Fix It posted:

Use noscript or the web developer tool bar https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/web-developer/ and disable javascript.

Web developer toolbar works. Still, I'd rather the browser was able to prevent sites from doing this crap. Oh well, can't always get what you want, I suppose.

Thanks, guys. Problem solved.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Prize Loser posted:

I posted about this problem with the NY Times website a while ago. Highlighting text popped up a stupid little question mark balloon, which broke right-click on the highlighted text to search Google. I ended up tracking down the specific JS file to block on the NY Times website to prevent it, but it's not always easy to find.

It's annoying and should be easier to disable in all browsers. I don't see anything about in the Chrome settings.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ryanbruce posted:

You're not alone, mind you, I used to change XP to classic until I got used to the "normal" XP start menu. I'm rather fond of the Vista/7 implementation too. Couldn't imagine doing it in classic.

It's Win7 actually. The start bar/menu has nothing to with the desktop theme either.
The other guy is correct about losing compositing and Peek (oh no.)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Classic is ugly as hell but for some reason it feels faster, even though you're losing compositing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

clockworkjoe posted:

Gmail is hosed up for me on Firefox 8 (windows 7 pc)

The body of each message is hidden. Same with the IM window. I logged in using chrome and it worked fine. What's going on?

Quoting this because it was the successive posts that helped. I couldn't do chat inside of gmail in the new firefox. Turns out I just had to update the subscriptions in adblock plus, so thanks again, SA!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Mozilla has announced today that the Electrolysis project, which aims to make Firefox a multiprocess application, will be put in pause for the foreseeable future.

Source.

I have awful problems with Firefox responsiveness. I think Adblock Plus causes most of them though. I can't even watch YouTube anymore without pauses every few seconds.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Mozilla has announced today that the Electrolysis project, which aims to make Firefox a multiprocess application, will be put in pause for the foreseeable future.

Source.

I have awful problems with Firefox responsiveness. I think Adblock Plus causes most of them though. I can't even watch YouTube anymore without pauses every few seconds.

drat, I'm really sad to read this. I understand why, and I can't say I didn't see it coming since it hasn't been publicly discussed in well over a year, but it's still sad to see.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Source.

I don't think I've quite had the problems others have, but man, when a developer (group) decides that making their application multi-process isn't a priority... especially with the issues being seen now.. yikes.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
The biggest issue is that despite all the work they have done, most of it is so slight that most people didn't see the difference. Every update we kind of go through the same thing "What did they change? it's still slow!" if the engineers can be moved to something that people will notice, at least for a while then maybe the ideas that the only thing Firefox is doing is tweaks to catch the number up to the competition will finally die down.

Electrolysis biggest issue was that the only way the average person could see the differences was via benchmarks or checking memory, one that means nothing and the other people don't do correctly so they are still going to call Firefox bloated. If one of the side projects they can work on can mask the pauses and stutters that occur (which is similar to how other browsers deal with them) then I'm all for it. You can fix it in a way that will last later but for right now we need to deal with the problem visually.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Separate process tabs was literally the only feature I was missing in FF. It is the only change I've actually felt I needed since FF6. I'm fed up with someone's awful javascript on one page I loaded in the background tanking my whole browser. My perfect browser would be FF8+separate tab processes.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

unruly posted:

when a developer (group) decides that making their application multi-process isn't a priority... especially with the issues being seen now.. yikes.

Multi-process != multi-threaded. All of the challenges with responsiveness can be handled either way. On paper, the multi-process solution for performance is simpler - the performance issues are may be cut down by an order of magnitude or two and become negligible, or even go away entirely. The problem is, as Mozilla has clearly realized, the details of implementing the multi-process stuff to get the "free" performance boosts actually ends up being more work than just tackling the multi-threading performance solutions.

The worst part of it, is that if you think there's a lot of bitching about add-on compatibility now, Electrolysis breaks add-on compatibility in a substantial, non-trivial way. A significant portion of add-ons would require substantial changes to work at all in a multi-process Firefox.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's definitely some other extension, or possibly live bookmarks / RSS feeds refreshing if you have a ton of them. You can check out this list but I don't think it's all that exhaustive.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

pokecapn posted:

It's definitely some other extension, or possibly live bookmarks / RSS feeds refreshing if you have a ton of them. You can check out this list but I don't think it's all that exhaustive.

I don't know, when I have Adblock Plus running, Firefox freezes every few seconds. The CPU goes up to 30% and more just sitting idle. When I disable ABP, it doesn't. I'm also seeing massive RAM usage, about 50% more than in Firefox 7 (I'm on 9 beta atm).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't know, when I have Adblock Plus running, Firefox freezes every few seconds. The CPU goes up to 30% and more just sitting idle. When I disable ABP, it doesn't. I'm also seeing massive RAM usage, about 50% more than in Firefox 7 (I'm on 9 beta atm).
That definitely shouldn't be happening, try it with a clean profile. Also check for third-party plugins in the Add-Ons manager and disable or uninstall any you don't use or want, they can really hurt things and may not be removed with a clean profile. Non-Microsoft antivirus/firewall/Internet security programs are also a huge problem, so uninstall any you have and switch to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 17, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Check your filters, you might be blocking something you shouldn't by accident.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Is there a setting/extension to get private browsing mode to not read any cookies, like the ones made from non-private browsing mode?

Basically I'd like private browsing mode to act like a temporary equivalent of clearing all of my cookies

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

The Merkinman posted:

Is there a setting/extension to get private browsing mode to not read any cookies, like the ones made from non-private browsing mode?

Basically I'd like private browsing mode to act like a temporary equivalent of clearing all of my cookies
Isn't that how private browsing works now? I just tested and I wasn't logged in on any sites I visited. Are you sure you're not seeing the effects of plug-in cookies, which don't have anything to do with the browser?

Bonus Edit: Good news for testers: Add-ons will be made compatible by default on Nightly and Aurora builds, meaning no more having to mess with prefs or other extensions to get add-ons working when you update.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 17, 2011

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

The Merkinman posted:

Yeah, that's definitely how it works already.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Fangs404 posted:

Yeah, that's definitely how it works already.

Then why is it I can't see special ads more than once? Don't they store a cookie so they only show X times per Y?

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

The Merkinman posted:

Then why is it I can't see special ads more than once? Don't they store a cookie so they only show X times per Y?

Private browsing mode has its own set of cookies that it accesses. Once they're set, you have them until you leave private browsing mode, then they are deleted. The same is true of your history in private browsing mode.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I hope Firefox finally goes x64 sometime in the future, as Waterfox got updated with a new taskbar icon that looks like rear end and rapes my eyes every time I see it in a new open window.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

jeeves posted:

I hope Firefox finally goes x64 sometime in the future, as Waterfox got updated with a new taskbar icon that looks like rear end and rapes my eyes every time I see it in a new open window.

In the meantime, you could replace the new icon with the old one, or with something else entirely.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Pale Moon is also available in x64.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I found Pale Moon's x64 builds to be less reliable than official Firefox 32 bit or Waterfox 64 bit.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Toast Museum posted:

In the meantime, you could replace the new icon with the old one, or with something else entirely.

Wouldn't changing the program icon within taskbar windows (not shortcuts to it) require a bit of code tinkering within the program file itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Install Gentoo posted:

I found Pale Moon's x64 builds to be less reliable than official Firefox 32 bit or Waterfox 64 bit.
I had the opposite experience, Waterfox crashed on me all the time, but Palemoon has been stable as a rock.

Then again, I switched around version 6 or so.