Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Really? They tell me to do the same things. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Amazing Iron Golem breakdancing glitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EgVg9NNd4M

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
God damnit, the one thing I've forever sucked rear end at in these games is parrying and the last boss in the damned game relies on it :mad:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

Morrowind owns

I don't think that anyone's responded specifically to you so I'm gonna.

From everything I've read Skyrim is basically more like Morrowind than Oblivion, exploration wise. I don't own the game so I can't tell you my experiences, but that's what I hear from my friends. Whether that's good enough on it's own who knows, but maybe you should give the game a shot.

As far as the whole Dark Souls/Skyrim debate...I would honestly go to each game for different things. Now if you could combine the unadulterated content and exploration of Skyrim with the plotting, combat, and bosses of Dark Souls.......

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Skyrim is very much more like Morrowind, yes. I have trouble giving a poo poo about anything Elder Scrolls after Oblivion, but Shivering Isles was pretty good and Skyrim is much improved.
Its action really can't compare to Dark Souls, though.

Murodese posted:

God damnit, the one thing I've forever sucked rear end at in these games is parrying and the last boss in the damned game relies on it :mad:

You can drop Gwyn without parrying; I did. Try a spear or halberd and just keep your shield up, for example. I used a claymore's quick thrust R2 when he did his grab or kick and just played keepaway with my BK shield up.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I found it was really fun to fight Gwyn Demon's Souls style by just trying not to get hit period. That leaping attack almost seems to home in, though.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I agree! I really was pleased to find you can safely roll under most of his attacks, with the right angle in mind. And of course, if you stay on him, he won't leap.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
When fighting Nito (pronounced neat-o) do you still have to use the divine sword? I'm outside his fog door now.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

It'll keep his pet skeletons from respawning, but Nito himself is very weak to fire. And, obviously, once he dies they do too.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

doomfunk posted:

It'll keep his pet skeletons from respawning, but Nito himself is very weak to fire. And, obviously, once he dies they do too.

Is this the place where the baby skeletons drop humanity? I haven't seen no babies.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

casual poster posted:

Is this the place where the baby skeletons drop humanity? I haven't seen no babies.

They should be in the watery area just before his fog door.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Shanty posted:

They should be in the watery area just before his fog door.

There were a bunch of wheel skeletons, no babies. poo poo. Plus, theres a brick wall where the blacksmith is supposed to be, it looks like something is supposed to smash through it but I can't trigger anything. I tried hitting it, nothing.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Oh you're before Pinwheel, not Nito. Don't sweat a divine weapon vs Pinwheel, just run in and kill.

For the blacksmith you'll have to drop very carefully down into his area from above - there was a spiral staircase up top that seemed to drop off into darkness. With some careful drops you can bounce between a few ledges and then fall down to where he is without dying. (It is easy to die there.)

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

I found it was really fun to fight Gwyn Demon's Souls style by just trying not to get hit period. That leaping attack almost seems to home in, though.

First time I fought him he ran and did the leaping attack. I parried it with the zweihander double over/chop you in the neck reposte animation. I felt like such a badass. Unfortunately, I kind of underestimated his speed after and got wailed on while I flailed my shield around. Looking forward to the next go 'round though. Too bad I to go to sleep soon.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

For extra fun, play hit and run with him while wearing the dark wood grain ring, and then try not to dodge until the last possible second. It'll go from being just a tank-til-you-or-Gwyn-die fight to one of the most fun fights in the game.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

casual poster posted:

There were a bunch of wheel skeletons, no babies. poo poo. Plus, theres a brick wall where the blacksmith is supposed to be, it looks like something is supposed to smash through it but I can't trigger anything. I tried hitting it, nothing.

Ahaha oh yeah no babies there, but have fun fighting THE GRAVELORD! Also there's another way to get behind that wall, explore around a bit.

Hilk
Apr 21, 2010

And as your boss, I order you to arm wrestle me.
So I have played the absolute crap out of dark souls.

I traded my xbox for a ps3 today, so I could play Demon Souls.

Just finished Demon Souls in one sitting, I am definately going to say it's because I learnt so much from Dark Souls, but most bosses/enemies/areas were so simple.

Melee mostly, apart from flamelurker and old god, I used a bow and just danced around them.

Nothing will ever compare to soloing Ornstein and Smough as melee.

Now for a dual cestus only run of Dark Souls.......

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Hilk posted:

So I have played the absolute crap out of dark souls.

I traded my xbox for a ps3 today, so I could play Demon Souls.

Just finished Demon Souls in one sitting, I am definately going to say it's because I learnt so much from Dark Souls, but most bosses/enemies/areas were so simple.

Melee mostly, apart from flamelurker and old god, I used a bow and just danced around them.

Nothing will ever compare to soloing Ornstein and Smough as melee.

Now for a dual cestus only run of Dark Souls.......

Yeah, while the bosses of Dark Souls might have petered out near the end (Though Gwyn was cool), Ornstein and Smough are probably the highlight of the game for me. Nothing else makes you feel so badass.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

HondaCivet posted:

Looks like Amazon has the Dark Souls CE back in stock somehow, possibly through voodoo magic. Since I kind of already own a normal retail copy I was thinking of buying it and then selling the wrapped game inside on SA Mart or whatever. However I heard that a lot of people who got the CE for free weren't even that thrilled with it so would I be wasting my time and money?

Yeah but you know goons, we'll overexaggurate and complain about even free stuff.

Just get it before it goes up in price again and sell your copy quick because it'll probably be discounted a lot after the end of the year, and the black friday sales won't help. If you don't do it now while the chance presents itself, you'll likely regret it.

The box is much better looking that the cover of the regular game, so if anything, that's worth it the most.

Also, it's loving dark souls, think of it as supporting the developers, and helping even in the tiniest way to get us a third Souls game.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Nickoten posted:

Yeah, while the bosses of Dark Souls might have petered out near the end (Though Gwyn was cool), Ornstein and Smough are probably the highlight of the game for me. Nothing else makes you feel so badass.

I liked them and all (although I couldn't beat them by myself) but Quelaag is definitely my favorite boss in the game.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

NESguerilla posted:

How is this even possible not to notice after so many hours? Doesn't the tutorial explain that? I know it did in Demon's.

No, it didn't explain this in the tutorial. You don't even get access to bows until the undead merchant, and the first 'logical' place to equip any secondary weapon would be 2nd slot on the right hand. Also, even if you are holding a weapon in your left hand and nothing in your right, if you press [Y or triangle] to two-hand a weapon, you get a two handed grip of the nothing that is in your right hand.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Megalixir posted:

Amazing Iron Golem breakdancing glitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EgVg9NNd4M
What weapon is that white phantom using at the end of the video?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Spiffo posted:

I liked them and all (although I couldn't beat them by myself) but Quelaag is definitely my favorite boss in the game.
My favorite part of Quelaag is how she constantly changes the terrain of the arena. Her attacks are all rather fair, too. Iron Golem sort of changes the terrain just due to his massive knockback, so if you don't keep scuttling around you're liable to get launched to your death.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Macksy posted:

What weapon is that white phantom using at the end of the video?

It's Grant which you should get from killing Invader Leroy in the Tomb of Giants.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.
If the Mimic in Sen's fell down the elevator shaft, is there no chance I can get the Lightning Spear?

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
What would be better, Fire or Chaos Uchigatana? I'm also considering putting my Dark Sword to Chaos, but lightning seems just too powerful.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sumixam posted:

If the Mimic in Sen's fell down the elevator shaft, is there no chance I can get the Lightning Spear?
Unfortunately, yes. You can just make one once you get to Anor Londo, though.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Subbz posted:

What would be better, Fire or Chaos Uchigatana? I'm also considering putting my Dark Sword to Chaos, but lightning seems just too powerful.
Chaos scales with humanity, which means that Fire +10 is way stronger than Chaos +5 with no humanity. I think at 10 humanity they might be comparable? Fire is probably a safer bet.

edit: Oh whoops doublepost

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.

Elysiume posted:

Unfortunately, yes. You can just make one once you get to Anor Londo, though.

God that's bullshit. I wasn't even near it either.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Where exactly do I need to go to reach the Moonlight Butterfly? I somehow managed to completely skip that fight, and instead ended up fighting Sif (who was almost shockingly easy).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Psycho Mantits posted:

Where exactly do I need to go to reach the Moonlight Butterfly? I somehow managed to completely skip that fight, and instead ended up fighting Sif (who was almost shockingly easy).

Just follow the path to the right of Artorias' door. Mind the stone knights!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Kinda beaten, but to clarify there's a path immediately next to the big stone doors that lead to the forest bandits. You follow it down and eventually find a ruined tower that leads there.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Psycho Mantits posted:

From right before the door that takes the Crest of Artorias, take a right. There'll be a soul on your right surrounded by bush monsters; it's not really worth it. Pass through the fog door. Towards your right, mixed in among some stone giants and bush monsters is the Elite Knight armor. To the left, there are some ruins (and more stone giants). Go in them. On the first floor, Beatrice's sigil is under some bushes. Go up, through the fog door, and fight the butterfly. Once it's dead, fully cross the bridge and go up more for the divine ember.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Elysiume posted:

From right before the door that takes the Crest of Artorias, take a right. There'll be a soul on your right surrounded by bush monsters; it's not really worth it. Pass through the fog door. Towards your right, mixed in among some stone giants and bush monsters is the Elite Knight armor. To the left, there are some ruins (and more stone giants). Go in them. On the first floor, Beatrice's sigil is under some bushes. Go up, through the fog door, and fight the butterfly. Once it's dead, fully cross the bridge and go up more for the divine ember.

The bush monsters surrounding the soul will pretty much go after you anyway. Best to just deal with them, really.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Ah, so that's what's in the rest of that area. I got the Elite Knight set some time ago but got killed pretty much instantly by the stone knights. Looks like it's time for payback! :black101:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

gravyflood posted:

The bush monsters surrounding the soul will pretty much go after you anyway. Best to just deal with them, really.
Not if you don't go over there! I think if you grab the soul, they're all aggro all the time. I guess there's no reason to pass through there after you get EK and beat the butterfly, but I leave them undisturbed anyway.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I want to think Dark Souls goes like this for a first timer from Demon's Souls:

Asylum Demon: This isn't so bad, dodge his swings and get away when he buttstomps.
Taurus Demon: Okay so I can just hug his crotch and roll if I feel uncomfortable, also kill the archers, got it.
Bell Gargoyles: Okay, this was actually kinda difficult, but basically I just summon Solaire and cut off the dudes tail, kill him, dodge fire, simple enough.
Capra Demon: gently caress, gently caress, gently caress.
Gaping Dragon: This fight is awes-gently caress HE JUST ATE ME HE loving ATE ME.
Blighttown: Man, it can't possibly get worse than this.
Queelag: Hey this is a pretty cool fight!
Iron Golem: I can shank his legs and he falls over! This is a pretty cool fight just for atmosphere alone.
Ornstein and Smourgh: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!
Moonlight Butterfly: Pyromancy makes you easy mode, sir.
Sif: Casting in general makes you hard, sir.
Pinwheel: It's Fool's Idol on easy mode!
Crossbreed Priscilla: This boss has a cool gimmick and makes me depressed when I actually read the lore. :negative:
Stray Demon: It's Asylum Demon with with magic.
Firesage Demon: It's Stray Demon with fire that actually does magic damage.
Centipede Demon: gently caress THIS G-Oh hey he dropped a ring that lets me walk on lava, cool.
Lost Izalith: I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I SAID ABOUT BLIGHTTOWN.
Bed of Chaos: I love puzzle bosses on fire.
Gravelord Nito: Jesus Christ how Nito.jpg, atmospherically he's an awesome boss, gameplay wise, Divine weapon, just like the rest of this graveyard shithole.
Seath the Scaleless: I couldn't even kill that fu- oh, I'm supposed to die...
Seath the Scaleless REDUX: Hugging dragoncrotch all day, where's my cursebite ring?
Four Kings: I'm about to flatline.
Gwyn, Lord of Cinder: This is a pretty depressing fig-did he just explode me with his fist?

Also, does anybody have the Jesus Christ how Horrifying image starring Nito?

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

What weapons has everyone seen usable in PvP? There seems to be a surprisingly good variety that are viable.

Shotel for ignoring sheilds.
Bandits dagger for bleed/backstab, although this seems to get beaten by heavy weapons.
Black Knight Greataxe can break any guard if you keep swinging, and tends to tag people trying to run around for a stab.

All of the 'behind a shield' attacking weapons seem viable, if you have the Great shield of the doggy.

Zweihander of course. But usually seems to lose to Black knight axe.
Large Club sadly ONLY R2 or backstab or parry. Not really as good as BKG but I've killed people with it.

The moonlight sword of course.
The dragon? great hammer, or whatever hammer has the special R2 AoE, if you combine with poise, the R2 AoE does a LOT of damage

Iron golem axe for ranged knockdown and OK damage. Decent attack set also but damage is low.

The ultra big stuff is useless, just because of terrible movesets that only have straight line slams. Its fine for PvE but you cant use any of them for PvP.
All of the medium/small weapons seem OK but I don't see why you wouldn't just use the fastest you can get since those weapons all fall into the category of playing hit and run Vs someone who has one of the Big and Good weapons, so probably the bandit's dagger or the dagger that can attack from behind a shield are the best.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I had a divine flamberge for a while before I switched to the Artorias GS. The bleed effect kicked in on dudes that were buff enough to withstand a few hits, it had good speed for the damage and nice swings against foggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spiking posted:

What weapons has everyone seen usable in PvP? There seems to be a surprisingly good variety that are viable.

The Furysword, anything with lightning damage.

Havel's Shield has a special ability that boosts your poise.

Lifehunt Scythe + Bloodbite Ring equates to shitons of bleed on the target regardless of blocking.

The Dark Root Grain Ring lets you wear heavier armor and be able to move if you were wearing light.

Havel's Ring is obviously a great ring.

Almost every Black Knight weapon is a good choice, the shield makes Pyromancers piss their pants.

The ring that boosts your counterattack damage might be good once 1.05 comes to us.

• Locked thread