Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

alansmithee posted:

They're not all 100% identical, but my main point was that none of them really differentiates themselves enough to a degree that makes them viable, nor is it the early/mid 90's where the novelty of someone who actually raps well was worthy of airplay or w/e (although I guess even being around in the 90's didn't help Percee P so not even super-rapping would've guaranteed a chance). I mean most of them HAVE had the major label deal. And young chris is one big break away, but so am I and he only has a slightly higher chance of said break than I do.

yeah no doubt dude i don't think we're arguing here, the point i was making is that none of those guys really strike me as break-out artists, chris included

freeway and peedi are two of my faves on the planet, you know that, but i'm incredibly aware of their position as perpetual also-rans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

alansmithee posted:

maybe he'll actually find something to make people who aren't into just "dudes rapping" care but it'll take some work.

Yeah that's the trick haha. I do enjoy a lot of those guys' poo poo but yeah they don't really tell the stories that make artists stick in my head.

Line Em Up is still one of the best uses of a Just Blaze beat though

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Jock Mocken posted:

Yeah that's the trick haha. I do enjoy a lot of those guys' poo poo but yeah they don't really tell the stories that make artists stick in my head.

Line Em Up is still one of the best uses of a Just Blaze beat though

i will go to the mattresses for "flipside" and i don't care how many lovely movies and video games it's showed up in

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

chopper city posted:

YO Check this out Listen. For all my new NMD Rap Threadposters go ahead and check out The Boondocks television show, it'll let you know the definitions of many things we talk about in our discussions in this thread :) :) :) #wow #based

Were you the one who posted that K-DEEZY a couple weeks ago? Something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-P-qdBhXJs . He might be the gulliest cracka reppin the GUNSHINE STATE I've ever seen, I think it's funny he's beefing with Plies for some reason although I can't get behind that, since Plies is from my hometown. Still, he's got some balls being a white dude from SoFla and going against Plies.

edit: LOL @ "You ain't welcome in Fort Myers those boys'll bang you"

edit 2 aka E-DOUBLE: Just want to join in with the State Prop love. Peedi is also one of my favs and definitely has a "hook." I wish he had more solo output though. I only have heard him on Roots album, State Property, and dissing Jay.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 15, 2011

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Peedi Crakk is cool in my book. Chris and Neef are one of the most underrated duos in the past 10 years. Jay bit Chris's style straight up. The rest aren't popping. The problem with State P is that they came out at the tail end of the rapping rear end thug dude era. The Lox started the whole notion of a JV team to the label's varsity crew. But the Lox had 2 solid rappers (Kiss and Styles) that still get love. I never expected State P to be top 40's but they should have been relevant longer. Even Beans faded and let himself get caught up in the streets. Freeway was a gimmick and he rightfully fell off. All that beard swinging and whiny voice poo poo was cool for a hot second.

G-Unit surprisingly had hits but they were the swan song IMO. I dig Banks, Game, and Buck. But without 50's rise, they wouldn't be poo poo. Game has had success but without 50, he'd be Bishop Lamont.

This is pure speculation but I gotta guess plenty of those dudes are still doing dirt to make ends meet. Or they are ghostwriting. Or both. If they came from the streets, I can't see them waiting around for Puff or Dame to feed them when its time to eat. Wu talks about it all the time. They want to put people on but people are hustling backwards.

temple fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 15, 2011

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

temple posted:

This is pure speculation but I gotta guess plenty of those dudes are still doing dirt to make ends meet. Or they are ghostwriting. Or both. If they came from the streets, I can't see them waiting around for Puff or Dame to feed them when its time to eat. Wu talks about it all the time. They want to put people on but people are hustling backwards.

got a friend that swears peedi lives in a studio apartment behind a papa john's so your mileage may vary

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

serch is back posted:

Yo when you end a statement with "or w/e" you sound like a anime nerd with no dang self-confidence or swagger or any spine whatsoever and that poo poo ain't Trill and it's Indecent As Hell so check your premises, rap Houdini. I see it in a lot of Internet Posts and to me it's a red flag for an internet nerd. Stop doing that stop looking like a nerd.

The first of today's rap subjects is a long time favorite of mine, south Florida's own YOU KNOW MY VOICE YOU KNOW MY NAME: Suave Smooth.

For those who are a fan of that DMX, Waka Flocka, Onyx, sort of style of yelling real mad rap, I got a treat for you. I keep linking his poo poo but you nerds keep ignoring me so I'm gonna get real words-y.

To me Suave Smooth is a great example of South Florida "Words On Tshirts" Rap (shoutsout my boy Huggy Bear for that phrase) although his particular steez is a lot more refined than most mixtapes you'd get handed at a gas station. There's some clever rhymes hidden down in there, interlaced between the stock gunshot sound effects and area code ad-libs. Of course they don't get in the way of the testosterone and braggadacio you'd come to expect from one of your boy's A-list "get drunk and fight your homeboy" iPod playlist type gangster rappers. But it's in there for you analytical CSPAN type rap nerds.

whatcha know bout me?
i stay strapped to the teeth cause you know how it be
and i rap bout the streets cause im close to the streets
if you rap bout me you'll be below six feet

For fans of Triple J (the other guy I posted a few days ago, also from south Florida, has features on several of Suave's mixtapes), who want more of the same hard rock slingin gun pullin money countin type of music, but aren't quite ready to start trawling flea markets in the ghetto for their fix of poorly mastered audio containing, poorly photoshopped album cover havin mixtapes, Smooth is a great transition starting point for you Mainstream-To-Underground rapsexuals.

Hit up datpiff for: Who The gently caress Is Smooth, Florida Nigga and Florida Nigga V2.

shoutouts south florida public education 1-3-1 writing style

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Serch is BACK! posted:

i can't think of a much bigger platform than roc-a-fella

im a huge state prop stan but all those dudes hosed up BAD with their deals and they're paying for it, its kinda the downside of playing the major label game

I meant currently. Yea he was on the Roc but I think he's definitely improved since then and gotten from under the Young Gunz reference. It'd be nice to see him hook up with someone, whether rapper or producer, on a higher level now that he's gotten better. But I could be making myself look like a dumbass because I don't know who he's been working with.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

chopper city posted:

Yo when you end a statement with "or w/e" you sound like a anime nerd with no dang self-confidence or swagger or any spine whatsoever and that poo poo ain't Trill and it's Indecent As Hell so check your premises, rap Houdini. I see it in a lot of Internet Posts and to me it's a red flag for an internet nerd. Stop doing that stop looking like a nerd.

sweet i will make sure to take this advice or w/e

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

chopper city posted:

mixtape stuff

dammit dude I hate tryin to remember my datpiff password.

also tbh poorly-photoshopped covers would be a significant step up from most of the gas-station-hustle local cds I have. from rappers at least. DJs usually have the nice slimline cases with the tracklisting on the front

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must
Also I'm loving the new Webbie but that goes without saying. I got a choppa in the car, choppa in the car, catch you at a redlight and I pop you in your car.

e: Also I bought it at FYE or whatever CD stores are called these days.

ee: Really Really liking the new Webbie.

YOU AINT SEEN NUTTIN UNTIL YOU SEEN ME CLIMBIN OUT A TREE WITH A .223

I just have this image of Webbie rolling around in the woods with an AK like the VC or some poo poo and it's god drat hilarious.

chopper city fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 15, 2011

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Jock Mocken posted:

dammit dude I hate tryin to remember my datpiff password.

also tbh poorly-photoshopped covers would be a significant step up from most of the gas-station-hustle local cds I have. from rappers at least. DJs usually have the nice slimline cases with the tracklisting on the front

No lie I just spent 10 minutes trying to remember my datpiff password too, then 5 more minutes resetting it after I gave up and trying to remember what email address I used when I signed up. And then trying to remember THAT password. God. Damnit.

But I'm 2 for 2 on random Florida mixtapes this week, so I'm going for 3. And to chopper city, yes you have to get wordy if you want people to checkout a mixtape in this thread, I figured out the same thing. You just need to give people 1) an idea what to expect and 2) why it's worth listening to.

edit: You're right about the quality of gas-station-hustle CD-R's. I remember buying one that looked half-professional from a dude (who's name I can't remember right now) on the FIU campus. I enjoyed it, he rapped over some good original production and the Memory Lane beat from Illmatic. About 3 years later I ran into him again at a local mall (Dolphin Mall if anyone cares) and he had a new CD he was selling. It looked WAY shittier, like Sharpie on a CD-R in a blank slim jewel case lovely. I slipped him a $5 tho and let him know that I felt his style, especially his Memory Lane freestyle. He looked WAY surprised that somebody knew he was, it was funny. But it feels kinda cool supporting local artists directly like that.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 15, 2011

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

dethkon posted:

But it feels kinda cool supporting local artists directly like that.

Yeah underground music kinda rules like that. Also yeah I was the guy posting that 4 pound stuff a while back, most people feel his poo poo when I play it around here which rules. One thing I wonder about is how much music I don't even hear from SoFla just because it isn't on datpiff/I'm not searching the right terms/Isn't in the suggested videos for other SoFla poo poo on youtube. There's probably more poo poo out there ONLY on CD's that I might not even hear which is crazy to think about.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
bamma mixtapes are beneath me but i will read your recommendations choppa

been listening to 'what the game's been missing' lately. modern classic, went plat...makes you wonder what juelz could've achieved had he not taunted hova, now he's jimmy's hypeman smh.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Back Like Cooked Crack 2 > the retail poo poo imo. It had Mic Check, no loving Whistle Song, that dope beat jack of Disco Inferno

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

chopper city posted:

Yeah underground music kinda rules like that. Also yeah I was the guy posting that 4 pound stuff a while back, most people feel his poo poo when I play it around here which rules. One thing I wonder about is how much music I don't even hear from SoFla just because it isn't on datpiff/I'm not searching the right terms/Isn't in the suggested videos for other SoFla poo poo on youtube. There's probably more poo poo out there ONLY on CD's that I might not even hear which is crazy to think about.

I know what you mean. But it wouldn't be "underground" if it was easy to find. I think people were sleeping on FL tho. We've got the slang, and a lot of diverse styles since there's so many transplants from the NE and Mid-West.

Now we've got representation on the national level cause of MMG. I used to hate on RAWSE cause he's a liar and a loving CO, but he's putting on a lot of people and I'm starting to come around.

I just finished that Suave Smooth Florida N!Gga V2 tape, good lookin out. He's a beast and it's going into rotation. This is what I'm talking about with the different styles- look at all the dudes posted in the last 2-3 pages who come from basically the same tri-county area: Ross, Suave Smooth, J NiCS, Ace Hood, even 4 POUND. They all have a different cadence, rhyme patterns, all of that, but they're also all undeniably S Florida and they rep it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

re: peedi crakk and freeway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_IDRkjnMwo

awesome freestyle from like 8 years ago

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

chopper city posted:

Also I'm loving the new Webbie but that goes without saying. I got a choppa in the car, choppa in the car, catch you at a redlight and I pop you in your car.

e: Also I bought it at FYE or whatever CD stores are called these days.

ee: Really Really liking the new Webbie.

YOU AINT SEEN NUTTIN UNTIL YOU SEEN ME CLIMBIN OUT A TREE WITH A .223

I just have this image of Webbie rolling around in the woods with an AK like the VC or some poo poo and it's god drat hilarious.
ive heard of webbie plenty but ive actually never heard webbie. What do i want to look at in his line of work?

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Cobra Commander posted:

ive heard of webbie plenty but ive actually never heard webbie. What do i want to look at in his line of work?

uhhhh the stuff with Boosie (Bad Azz and Ghetto Stories) but really mostly these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdQzZDXYf6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7LYUuHhNPQ

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Cobra Commander posted:

Savage Life 1&2 and Gangsta Musik w/ Boosie. I still love his first four bars in this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_cbfu8va7M

drat I can't believe he's only 26. For anyone interested in the Dallas scene someone just posted this "DFW Cypher" on my facebook. If you can make it through the first few rappers this Double A guy is has some good punchlines. I'm too much of a dumbass at this so just click the link.

[video type="youtube"]player_embedded&v=iLVco5nRaSs#![/video]

John Brown fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 16, 2011

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

John Brown posted:

Savage Life 1&2 and Gangsta Musik w/ Boosie. I still love his first four bars in this song

Hahaha, I remember riding around to that Savage Life 2 til my subwoofers blew out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcYPycLz3oY

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt
hey dethkon how do you feel about laws? one of my homies is apparently trying to get him over one of my beats.. apparently hes big? i dont really listen to much rap anymore so i have no idea...

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
http://www.xxlmag.com/bangers/2011/11/ludacris-bada-boom/
Luda dissing Drake and Big Sean over the hastag flow. That hashtag stuff isn't hot to begin with. I loved Luda when he came out (pause) but he's really feeling himself.

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt
NEWSFLASH: rapper who is no longer relevant to young people (unless hes on a radio single) disses currently 'big' rapper(s) over ______ which he feels is (insert negative adjective)

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

temple posted:

Luda dissing Drake and Big Sean over the hastag flow. That hashtag stuff isn't hot to begin with. I loved Luda when he came out (pause) but he's really feeling himself.

Comin down the street like a Parade! MACYS

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

temple posted:

BIG BADA BOOM

Just downloaded the tape. I've never really been into Luda especially his last few albums (Battle of the Sexes was terrible) but I like what I've heard so far. Also, nice to see a Juicy J beat on there too.

Bloopsy fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 16, 2011

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I know I'm pretty much the only one that gives a poo poo, but D-Sisive's new album, "Run with the Creeps" is pretty great. He's an amazing storyteller, and this time around, his introspective songs aren't entirely depressing, which is a plus.

Give it a listen here and then maybe give pay some money for it?: http://urbnet.bandcamp.com/album/run-with-the-creeps

Check out his other stuff, especially if you like introspective, depressing songs (most of it is free downloads) here: http://d-sisive.bandcamp.com/

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
How the hell have you not been into Luda? That dude has been around for liek 13 years ON THE FUCKIN RADIO. I'm partial I guess, since he was probably the first southern rapper I supported (when I was 10? 11? too young to count, but he has stuck with me). I fuckin love his flow, weird, creative and silly, but still serious when he needs to be. I feel like he has never really fallen off, but its just been a weak album as whole that has brought him down. Like Battle of the Sexes. I loved the singles, but the album didn't do poo poo for me. 1.2 Gigwatts on the other hand was pretty good, not amazing but better than most of the poo poo I'v sat through this year. Better beats would have pushed it further but its a mixtape so what can I expect.

Gotta say the KRIT produced song was the best on there and for the first time in my life I have been underwhelmed by juiicy J

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...
That new Luda tape bangs yall. I'm not feeling 2 Chainz like a lot of people are right now but his feature on here is dope.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
fyi Yelawolf's album leaked. i've only listened to a few tracks (made in the usa is awesome) but it's really solid so far.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Professor Funk posted:

fyi Yelawolf's album leaked. i've only listened to a few tracks (made in the usa is awesome) but it's really solid so far.

http://fistintheair.com/2011/11/16/yelawolf-radioactive-full-album-stream-preorder/ legit stream here.

I have to disagree, a few solid tracks but overall way to many radio-formula songs.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

How the hell have you not been into Luda? That dude has been around for liek 13 years ON THE FUCKIN RADIO. I'm partial I guess, since he was probably the first southern rapper I supported (when I was 10? 11? too young to count, but he has stuck with me). I fuckin love his flow, weird, creative and silly, but still serious when he needs to be. I feel like he has never really fallen off, but its just been a weak album as whole that has brought him down. Like Battle of the Sexes. I loved the singles, but the album didn't do poo poo for me. 1.2 Gigwatts on the other hand was pretty good, not amazing but better than most of the poo poo I'v sat through this year. Better beats would have pushed it further but its a mixtape so what can I expect.

Gotta say the KRIT produced song was the best on there and for the first time in my life I have been underwhelmed by juiicy J

Well since Ludacris gets spins ON THE FUCKIN RADIO I guess that means i'm supposed to like him? You don't need to get your panties twisted over someone's indifference over a certain rapper.

Reverend Rath
Jul 4, 2008
What the gently caress did Yelawolf do to his album? Its poppy nonsense, WHY?! This isn't Yelawolf. I'm embarrassed to show this to my friends.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Reverend Rath posted:

What the gently caress did Yelawolf do to his album? Its poppy nonsense, WHY?! This isn't Yelawolf. I'm embarrassed to show this to my friends.

The Intro, Made in the USA, Growin Up in the Gutter, Hard White, Get Away, Let's Roll, Throw It Up (minus Em's poo poo verse), and Slumerican Shitizen (in its own rap-rock way) are all good. I will also admit that I like Hardest Love Song in the World.

I agree there is a lot of poppy crooning on it though, which I didn't expect.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Reverend Rath posted:

Wow this gave me low hopes for this album.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

His verses and the beats were fine, they just decided to have a bunch of really lovely pop hooks on a bunch of the songs. I blame Lupe for the trend but it probably goes back further. A bunch good rappers either think they need crappy choruses to sell records or they have terrible taste in singing.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Is he doing more of that weird autotune singing like on Outlaw poo poo?

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Disappointing that yelas album is poo poo. Hard white is such an awesome song and has a good video.

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
ludacris gently caress yeah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFv_ImDNuGo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASL NIGGA
Nov 26, 2009

by T. Mascis

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

since he was probably the first southern rapper I supported (when I was 10? 11? too young to count, but he has stuck with me)
Hahahah.

• Locked thread