Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
So, I figured how to rip the Xenoblade Chronicles iso, and over the next few hours, tried a variety of different Dolphin builds. I started with the one I already had, release 159, which didn't work so well. I went on to try filthy monkey's builds, and they seemed to perform even worse. I tried 'build 7880' that I saw a thread dedicated to the game recommend - the fps was much better but the audio was awful. I finally figured maybe I should just youtube and see if someone is playing it full speed, and sure enough I was in luck, I found a video that linked to this thread: http://www.gamespot.com/wii/rpg/monadobeginningoftheworld/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-60214038

In it there was a link, posted by Bighead_SMZ, to a build that worked perfectly, and I also learned of the 'Accurate VBeam Emulation' setting. It had a box next to it, and I changed it to a checkmark. Not sure what that did, but when I ran the game, it worked great.

What I ended up doing was I was getting slowdown more often than not - I applied the patch that let the VPS go up to 60 rather than 50, and I ended up reverting to a rip of the disk that didn't have the patch applied. It seemed to be more smooth overall. Now it's basically running at full speed constantly, rarely dipping and causing unsightly frame loss.

If anyone else has had issues getting this drat game to run well, hopefully my post was of some help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Does this have online capabilities?

jdi448hsnvb
Dec 6, 2006

asfd
A few questions:

1) In both Pikmin and MGS, there's sometimes a really annoying tearing/clipping noise. It's not always present during gameplay (except when I'm near Olimar's ship; then, it's always there) but it's always terrible during cutscenes. I tried LLE but the game runs far too slowly with it. System if it's relevant: http://www.fticomputer.com/scripts/product.asp?PRDCODE=1016-G73JH-A2&REFID=FR

2) When I start Wind Waker, it asks to format the memory card before I can play. I can't do that since I've got Pikmin saves on it. How do I get around this?

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I got the same problem using Mylek's build, so it could definitely be the game. Really have no idea what caused it, I state saved right at that moment and hadn't saved another state or done an ingame save in some time, so that was about a half hour lost.

Me too, never could figure out a way to get the controller to start working again so I always just loaded up an older save. Happened maybe 2-3 times through my play through.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have an Athlon X2 4400+ (2.30Ghz). I have no chance in hell of running this, right?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

gmq posted:

I have an Athlon X2 4400+ (2.30Ghz). I have no chance in hell of running this, right?

You might be able to run the Wii menu, that's about it.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

dammitcharlie posted:

1) In both Pikmin and MGS, there's sometimes a really annoying tearing/clipping noise. It's not always present during gameplay (except when I'm near Olimar's ship; then, it's always there) but it's always terrible during cutscenes. I tried LLE but the game runs far too slowly with it. System if it's relevant: http://www.fticomputer.com/scripts/product.asp?PRDCODE=1016-G73JH-A2&REFID=FR

I was only able to fix that by using LLE, I don't think the HLE engine is getting worked on at all anymore.

Asus is pretty good about giving you motherboard configuration options, check out how much you can overclock with that laptop.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Kirby's Return to Dreamland has been fixed in today's latest build.

Added screenshots to the OP.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
Very nice, except for the mysterious Kirby war paint. Those purple marks and the sprite corruption don't show up on my build. If you'd like some new screens, I can make a few 1600x900 shots for you.

Kirby (JIB): "I can make some new images!"
Dedede (Gyoru, thread): "..."

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

You can post screenshots if you want to share. It's encouraged, but doesn't guarantee they'll end up in the OP.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
Yeah, you've got it covered, no big deal. I took a few anyway because this game is a-goddamn-dorable, and quite pretty in some parts (blue caves, castle area).

Late-game stuff is under spoiler thumbnails, under an outtake.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I have a question: Is it not possible to use a real Wiimote, but a different button mapping? For example, say I want to play Donkey Kong Country Returns with my Classic Controller. The game itself doesn't support the CC and the Gecko code (some guy made a Gecko code to support CC on a real Wii for DKCR) doesn't seem to work on an emulator, so I figured I might as well just map the Dolphin-Emulated-Wiimote buttons to my real-Classic-Controller buttons, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that as far as I can tell. Any help?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Well you could get a program that maps Wiimote inputs to keypresses or something, though it would require messing about. Have you got any other controllers? PS3, 360, Generic USB etc?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Well I do have PS3 controllers but I'd rather use the Classic Controller Pro, to be honest. I find it pretty weird that that option doesn't exist in Dolphin.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm trying to get Dolphin to play Xenoblade from an iso. I've got it to load the splash screen that's standard for every wii game about teather the remote to yourself, but it hangs up there for a few seconds, and finally I get this error:

I'm not sure what sense to make of it. I grabbed the latest stable version of Dolphin from the link provided in the OP and configured it according to the config instructions also provided in the OP. After 3 or 4 attempts to launching the game and receiving this error, Dolphin simply stops responding when I launch the game and continues to behave this way until I delete everything and unzip the program again. Does anyone have some insight as to what this error is and if there's anything I can fiddle with to fix it?

edit: I'm using Dolphin version 3.0-201

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 6, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's possible that you have a bad rip, have you tried ripping it again?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's possible that you have a bad rip, have you tried ripping it again?

Well I've made a new iso and now I can get to the title screen of the game, it looks fine and sounds fine, but the moment I pick new game or options, Dolphin crashes hard.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rayman Origins trip report: Runs at 100% speed with no graphical glitches whatsoever, audio is good too. Perfect and fast emulation. The scaling looks fine, maybe a little bit on the blurry side, but the game itself is still gorgeous, even if it doesn't use the HD assets from the 360/PS3 version. If you don't have one of those consoles, emulate it on Dolphin, it looks and plays great. One things these screenshots can't tell is that the animation in this game is amazing.

Version of Dolphin used: 3.0-191.
Athlon X4 945 @ 3.2GHz, Radeon 6870.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I wonder if it would be possible to rip the assets from the HD version and use them with Dolphin using the texture replacer option in the GPU plugin.

firewalker
Aug 7, 2008
I'm trying to run Killer 7 on Dolphin 3.0-201, but I only get a black screen. Would anyone who had better luck be willing to share their settings?

I'm running a core-i5 2500k with a radeon 6950 2gb and 8 gb ram.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Reports slowly coming in as people configure Dolphin for Skyward Sword (released in europe).

It's looking really good.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Mido posted:

Reports slowly coming in as people configure Dolphin for Skyward Sword (released in europe).

Kind of disappointed that Skyward forces motion controls, I don't have bluetooth but I do have a Wii hooked up to a lovely 29 inch CRT. And then I hear the game has forced widescreen.

Why, Nintendo. :sigh:

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Can anyone suggest a decent bluetooth dongle that is relatively cheap and compatible with Windows 7 64-bit? I want to buy something someone else has already confirmed as good and working with Dolphin.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mido posted:

I actually don't like how that looks. The shading/paint effect looks pretty awful, and a lot less convincing than on the actual system.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mido posted:

It looks better when you turn the fog off ala wind waker.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mido posted:

That looks really strange and kind of bad compared to the game on the Wii.

I kind of think that has some filter applied to it (does Dolphin have graphics filters?), and I don't think filters ever look good.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Megalixir posted:

Kind of disappointed that Skyward forces motion controls, I don't have bluetooth but I do have a Wii hooked up to a lovely 29 inch CRT. And then I hear the game has forced widescreen.

Why, Nintendo. :sigh:

Ahem. If there was only one game (other than Xenoblade) to play on the Dolphin this is it.

^^^

BananaNutkins posted:

Can anyone suggest a decent bluetooth dongle that is relatively cheap and compatible with Windows 7 64-bit? I want to buy something someone else has already confirmed as good and working with Dolphin.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Rukus posted:

Ahem. If there was only one game (other than Xenoblade) to play on the Dolphin this is it.

^^^

Thanks! The price is amazing.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I have that same adapter and it works really well for both Wii and PS3 controllers at least. The range is really good despite its size and price, and I've never had any problems with it disconnecting or anything like that. I guess reviews say it doesn't work with headsets or music or some poo poo but I don't know about that, and even if it only works with those 2 controllers it's worth $1.22.

Actually, if you also have a PS3 controller just get 2 of them so you can dedicate one to the stupid motioninjoy driver.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 19, 2011

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Rukus posted:

^^^

Honestly, the more I see of the game on Dolphin the worse I think it looks. It just doesn't capture the painted look the game is going for at all. it feels like you're losing more than you're gaining by running it in a higher res.

Totally agree on Xenoblade, though.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Rukus posted:

^^^

Also Muramasa since it's pretty much the best Wii game.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

sethsez posted:

Honestly, the more I see of the game on Dolphin the worse I think it looks. It just doesn't capture the painted look the game is going for at all. it feels like you're losing more than you're gaining by running it in a higher res.

I agree, being rendered in standard definition actually works in the game's favour. I wouldn't mind seeing some Dolphin screenshots at native resolution with some AA applied.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Rukus posted:

^^^

Thanks - but no thanks. I don't like motion controls or being forced to play with them. I'd actually rather miss out as opposed to being forced to play with waggle controls.

As for the looks, Nintendo were obviously not thinking of lower resolutions working in their favour considering they've made the game forced widescreen. I don't actually think the game looks all that bad though, at fullscreen in 1080p I think it's rather nice.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Megalixir posted:

Thanks - but no thanks. I don't like motion controls or being forced to play with them. I'd actually rather miss out as opposed to being forced to play with waggle controls.

As for the looks, Nintendo were obviously not thinking of lower resolutions working in their favour considering they've made the game forced widescreen. I don't actually think the game looks all that bad though, at fullscreen in 1080p I think it's rather nice.

Yeah, it's a pretty game. But it hardly compares to Wind Waker, which looks absolutely gorgeous regardless of resolution. Wind Waker transcends resolution.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Megalixir posted:

This is the dumbest thing.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Not really.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

Not really.

You're right, I was being a little too defensive.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That looks really strange and kind of bad compared to the game on the Wii.

I kind of think that has some filter applied to it (does Dolphin have graphics filters?), and I don't think filters ever look good.

It's the same kind of DOF as Wind Waker, so it has to be removed in dolphin otherwise it makes everything look like that.

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

Not really.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This is sliiiiiiightly off-topic, but I'm considering getting a bluetooth adapter to use with Dolphin. BT started being an absolute bitch on my Windows Vista 64-bit install. I'm on 7 now, but I've got reservations. Does 7 play nice with bluetooth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Anybody happen to have settings/revision that work with Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes?

• Locked thread