Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
You keep using phrases that suggest something that perhaps you don't mean.

What you are saying now is that you don't think there is an age war and I agree. I think you continue to say "older" when you mean wealthier. It is not an issue about the number of years on the planet.

Ageism absolutely exists. What if I wanted to be a programmer. How many programmers do you know over 40, over 45, over 50. This is rhetorical so you don't have to answer :)

I think all I am trying to say is that there is a definite separations based on age but it is not a fault of either of the two groups. It just the way things are.

Don't look to the future with such grim thoughts. Now is the time for you to fight for yours. The goal should be to be able to retire at 60, to lower the age, not raise it. Fight for it by being active and sticking up for all.

Obviously, if we just fix our tax rates and increase our income we won't have many of these problems. Fight the power!

(oh and if he was a veteran, it is possible he is going because of a disability - that is free for him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

LuisX posted:

I agree with this. I am a bit perplexed that you are the only who voiced this point in this forum so far though. Maybe it is analogous to the representation of the 35k STEM graduates versus the 80k art graduates?

I'm a psychology major. So I guess I'm literally in the between?

Wooty posted:

Why is this?

Because most of the jobs in which are required to expand and move a nation forward deal heavily with math and to a lesser extent science.

Grand Fromage posted:

Nobody ever talks about the quality of graduates though. I've been working in education in Asia for a bit, and from my perspective any time you see a statistic about how China or South Korea is doing better than the US, it's bullshit. Massive grade inflation here is standard practice. No one fails. Universities have a 98% graduation rate. Kids here become fantastic memorize-regurgitate test taking machines but are utterly helpless if you give them a problem that requires any critical thought.

I live in Hyundai's manufacturing city and know some engineers there who confirmed it works like this for them too. When Hyundai needs to design a new ship, they hire German, Norwegian, and American engineers to do it. They live here and take care of all the troubleshooting and any redesigns needed. Korean engineers are excellent at making things, but give them something that requires creativity and they're stumped, so they hire us for that.

American education is far better than the 16TH IN THE WORLD news stories lead people to believe. The cost is a problem, the quality isn't so much.

Does this apply to Japan and Singapore too?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Does this apply to Japan and Singapore too?

Japan has it too, but to a lesser extent. By American standards they're still very rote and suck at creativity, but by Asian standards they're creative. Japan invents a lot more stuff than most countries over here, and they have counterculture and stuff that Korea generally lacks. Singapore I know nothing about. My first-hand experience is in Korea, but as best as I can tell it's more or less true everywhere in East Asia, just the degree is different. Korea is probably at the bottom of the creativity scale, and they're aware of it. One Nobel prize winner, ever, and good luck finding something in the last hundred years invented in Korea. It's easy to find stuff made in Korea, but even when you live here, finding something invented here is very difficult.

It's something that's recognized as a problem by the Koreans, but they don't seem to know what to do about it. I don't either, I do my little part by forcing my students to be creative, despite all the pain it causes me.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 14, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Wooty posted:

I think all I am trying to say is that there is a definite separations based on age but it is not a fault of either of the two groups. It just the way things are.

I don't know who to blame exactly but wouldn't the older generations be more culpable than the younger? You do have to admit that the growing wealth gap between young and old isn't good right?

Wooty posted:

Don't look to the future with such grim thoughts. Now is the time for you to fight for yours. The goal should be to be able to retire at 60, to lower the age, not raise it. Fight for it by being active and sticking up for all.

Hard not to be grim these days if you read the news. I could join an occupy movement but I don't feel like getting beat down by Chicago cops.

Peace Frog
Oct 7, 2009
I'm surprised no one mentioned my favourite line of the show from Bill on Jon Huntsman:

"He's getting out of the same clown cars as the rest of them. Jon Huntsman can suck my cock."

I think he really let himself rage as it was the final episode of the year. Good panel as well. Common is one of those guys that seems pleasant enough, but I'm not cool enough to give a poo poo about his opinions.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Zogo posted:

I don't know who to blame exactly but wouldn't the older generations be more culpable than the younger? You do have to admit that the growing wealth gap between young and old isn't good right?

Hard not to be grim these days if you read the news. I could join an occupy movement but I don't feel like getting beat down by Chicago cops.

You have to make your own choices and decide if you want to participate in anything at all. There are opportunities to help the community and maybe even get paid while doing it.

I hear that if you go to college, you can become a stand up comedian and do a political show or something. Big bucks there I bet.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Peace Frog posted:

Good panel as well. Common is one of those guys that seems pleasant enough, but I'm not cool enough to give a poo poo about his opinions.

They either need to make the show 90 minutes or drop the fourth panelist. All the time spent on Common could have gone to Barney Frank or extra New Rules or something.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Peace Frog posted:

Common is one of those guys that seems pleasant enough, but I'm not cool enough to give a poo poo about his opinions.

Based on what I saw of him on the show I dont think he even has any political opinions.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I know it's the View, but it's got Maher in it so I'm posting this clip here.

Watch Elizabeth Hasselbeck give new meaning to the term passive-aggressive.

Also, why the hell would he appear on that show. I'd assume that's about as far away from his target audience as he could possibly get...

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

richardfun posted:

Also, why the hell would he appear on that show. I'd assume that's about as far away from his target audience as he could possibly get...

Probably to sell his book. That was pretty funny. I wish Hasselbeck would go on his show. There's some people on TV with an act/persona that seems fake. I can't tell if they've cultivated it or if they genuinely have neurological problems.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 17, 2011

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

richardfun posted:

I'm going to kill myself now. No really that was THAT bad.

az
Dec 2, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm going to kill myself now. No really that was THAT bad.

How is that woman on tv.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Good god that was uncomfortable to watch at times. I guess it is awkward when you have to be confronted by someone so petty and being unable to move for ten minutes. I hope that clip becomes the stuff of TV legends.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
That's not passive aggressive, that was aggressive.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

richardfun posted:

My mom told me about this poo poo and I ran right home after work to find this clip on youtube, THANK YOU.

And it was exactly what I thought it would be. Her being super uncomfortable, fidgety, on the edge and ready to explode in rage at any second, while Bill just sat there cool as a cucumber and shut her down without expending much effort- which would, of course, make her even more mad.

The best part is the only thing she was mad about that she awkwardly read to him was the comment they already went back and forth about like, what, last year or some poo poo? Jesus, let it go. You're an adult.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

richardfun posted:

Good heavens. Bill Maher and Elizabeth Hasselback need to hatefuck and get it over with.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Well it's almost that time again. Just thought I would let you guy know it looks like Herman Cain will be an interview guest tomorrow night. This should be good.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.
What, no new thread?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

sildenafil posted:

What, no new thread?

I thought about making a new OP but honestly I've never made one yet and didn't want to make a lovely one. If no one else wants to make one I can throw one together tomorrow at some point. Way too tired right now to do a decent job of it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Ehh we don't need a new thread.

I loved that last episode, I never saw a guy on a talk show so blatantly, awesomely drunk as that reporter.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ApexAftermath posted:

I thought about making a new OP but honestly I've never made one yet and didn't want to make a lovely one. If no one else wants to make one I can throw one together tomorrow at some point. Way too tired right now to do a decent job of it.

Is it even a new season? I don't think we really need one anyway, it's usually just the same half dozen or so of us anyway.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

IRQ posted:

Is it even a new season? I don't think we really need one anyway, it's usually just the same half dozen or so of us anyway.

I think it might be considered a new season, but yeah I agree with you it's such a slow thread anyways we don't need it. I didn't have time with work and everything to make a thread anyways.

So hows the episode so far guys? I'm still at work :mad:

EDIT: Well you guys suck!

EDIT 2!: loving christ Debbie Wassermann Schultz was annoying the gently caress out of me from the moment she was in total denial that the behavior of the pissing soldiers was a unavoidable outcome of sending men to war. She's in a loving fantasy land. This is what loving happens and yes it probably happens more than anyone knows so Debbie shut the gently caress up about soldiers in your district or whatever you were babbling about because for every upstanding soldier you meet I bet there are 10 behind him ready to piss in the mouth of a dead enemy combatant because "it's funny hurr hurr sandnigs AM I RIGHT HURR?" like the retard morons they generally tend to be. Yeah I get that as a congresswoman she can't really go "yeah they are a bunch of war thirsty dogs" but she should have never pushed the issue of soldiers being or not being upstanding people in the first place. It was just downhill from there. Instead of her coming off like a smart progressive she just came off like a "knows enough to be dangerous" spewing talking points politician trying to wave the flag to rep herself.

David Frum was a mix of tolerable to annoying as usual, and I have a hard time taking Rob Reiner seriously after South Park had their go at him and sorry to say but they got his number on that one I think(plus he had nothing good/new/insightful to say on the show anyways). Pelosi should have been on the panel to begin with because she was the only one saying anything good and got cut off more than anyone else tonight.

The Herman Cain interview was fun, but lame at the same time. If it was a normal "sitting across from each other" interview it would have been good but doing over vid conference was boring. I feel like maybe he wouldn't have had the wiggle room if he had been sitting across from Maher. Herman Cain stuck to his talking points. Yes he did better than ever before but that is because he got his rear end handed to him a couple months ago and found out how to deal with interviewers when you are someone who is full of poo poo. They need to get him on the panel and either destroy or get him to admit his wrongness.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 14, 2012

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, this was a powerfully weak episode, though I did approve of the flashback segment that I guess will be a regular thing for this "season" as well as the nod to Hitchens passing.

It started off so poorly that I was vocally hoping for Rob freaking Reiner to save the panel...but ultimately it just came down to Pelosi---and even she seemed to slip a bit on Overtime in some odd "Hey now, what're you doing attacking Democrats (Obama) now in the latter half versus the Republicans in the first?"

Next week should be much better though, with Bernie Sanders in the mix somehow and I want to think a few other solid folks whose names escape me at the moment---more of a "Left" crowd versus the..er...mix that was this week.

I'd presume next week will actually address SOPA/PIPA and whatnot though I'd have thought it would've at least gotten brought up last night.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Debbie Wassermann Schultz is that typical annoying rear end in a top hat liberal that's completely detached from reality. Ban her from the show and make Neil Tyson a permanent panel member.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Debbie Wassermann Schultz is that typical annoying rear end in a top hat liberal that's completely detached from reality. Ban her from the show and make Neil Tyson a permanent panel member.

What did she say on the show to make you say that?

I thought it was an average episode. The Herman Cain segment was uneventful, disappointingly. Rob Reiner was just okay and Pelosi doesn't seem right for the show.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I like the idea of Neil Tyson on permanently.

I prefer a more left panel where they don't get into pissing matches with republicans which always turns into "yes it is!" vs "no it isn't" and nothing gets resolved.

Its nice to hear different opinions of how to move things forward.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Aside from Bill Maher's stupid views on SOPA ("Everyone just wants free poo poo!" Uhm, no Bill...) This was a decent episode.

Bernie Sanders. :allears:

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I don't know how he is politically, but Buddy played a good role in this episode.

We need Tyson and Sanders on regularly. The guy who wasted part of his life writing about Sarah Palin needs to go. Seriously, what a waste of time.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

SERIOUS posted:

Aside from Bill Maher's stupid views on SOPA ("Everyone just wants free poo poo!" Uhm, no Bill...) This was a decent episode.

Bernie Sanders. :allears:

Yeah, Bill's take on SOPA was so dumb. "Waah my poor movie didn't make enough money!"

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
If there was ever a time for Michael Moore to just casually walk onstage just because he can, it would've been for the Religulous/SOPA part of things---he almost certainly could've spun Maher around on it considering.

Agreed on Sanders/Tyson, even if they didn't speak and could just give folks the death-stare when they are saying stupid things the effect would be better episodes. I'd have rather had Moyers on the panel in that Palin book guy's spot at the very least.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

ExiledTinkerer posted:

If there was ever a time for Michael Moore to just casually walk onstage just because he can, it would've been for the Religulous/SOPA part of things---he almost certainly could've spun Maher around on it considering.

Agreed on Sanders/Tyson, even if they didn't speak and could just give folks the death-stare when they are saying stupid things the effect would be better episodes. I'd have rather had Moyers on the panel in that Palin book guy's spot at the very least.

The Palin guy was completely useless. They didn't discuss his book at all, did they?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Only briefly in the sense that it was held up one time and the guy had to desperately jump in to clarify that there are 2 books out there on it---a joke book and his "serious" one, as if that is something to be proud of.

I guess his sort is always better than a Kibbe or Gilespie debacle again, but surely Bill can do better. It makes no sense to continue to feed this odd quota notion of "tea party/republican'ish inclusion" or worse still the episodes when they are allowed to utterly dominate in volume and...er...volume---bring back the real eccentrics and people generally out of this loop like Gravel and such to actually spur some discussion versus the now trite and predictable talking points. Roemer/Sanders did OK in this line of things, hence the episode actually HAD some damned energy for a change when they were able to get into it somewhat.

Also: Leave the bubble gag be, it was a cringer last season and surely something better/new can be thought up!

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I don't know why you would dedicated more than 10 minutes on Sarah Palin. He basically shamed himself without even knowing it. "I wrote a book on Sarah Palin's quotes! Isn't that awesome?"

"No. gently caress off. You've just told everyone what poor judgment you have in who you choose to spend your time on."

Can Bill get someone like Chris Hedges on? Jesus Christ that guy's smart. I watched a 3-hour interview he did recently on C-SPAN2 and not a second of it was boring. Disagree with him? Sure, that's fine.. But he's actually gone out in the world and done stuff, for real. I'm sure he hasn't wasted a breath on Palin.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Am I hallucinating or did I see that Mark Foley is going to be on next week?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Finally got around to watching this today. Much better panel than last week, except for the Sarah Palin guy. Did nobody tell him she's not even remotely relevant anymore? He was pretty useless otherwise too.

I don't know much about Roamer, but I thought he was pretty good and made good points considering he's a republican. Sanders was, as always, awesome. Only decent person in national politics by far. The governor lady was ok.

Bill was almost superfluous this episode, and I really didn't mind that.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Zogo posted:

Am I hallucinating or did I see that Mark Foley is going to be on next week?

So.....was Mark Foley on?

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

ApexAftermath posted:

So.....was Mark Foley on?
He was, and he was quite entertaining. He highlighted some of the hypocrisies involved with "small government" Republicans wanting to micro-manage the bedroom activities of every individual in the country, and called out Democrat-aligned groups that only support gay rights because they have to, because "the rest of the party does / that's the party line".

Then Bill asked him to be on the panel sometime. Like eagerly, not just the way he does with every guest interview.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So,Buddy Roemer seems pretty cool. Is what he showed on the show his true colors or was he being tame for the liberal audience?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Kennedy is the most annoying person in human history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SERIOUS posted:

Good heavens. Bill Maher and Elizabeth Hasselback need to hatefuck and get it over with.

Like in the Spartacus TV series.