Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I'm hoping for High on Fire on Roadburn something fierce, that'd make this already stellar line-up otherwordly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
Church of Misery, Jesu and Pelican all playing on same day.
That is an amazing lineup.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Crimson Sox posted:

Church of Misery, Jesu and Pelican all playing on same day.
That is an amazing lineup.
Black Cobra are now on the bill, as well as Yob playing 2 sets; all of the unreal never lived on Friday and then all of Catharsis on afterburner. Plus a few other cool bands. Jeez roadburn, you're going to be amazing, WE GET IT.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
Have you guys listened to The Heavy Eyes? I haven't seen them discussed here. I don't know whether to explain them a bluesy Truckfighters or a fuzzy Radio Moscow. Either way, enjoy! I am giving them my five dollars.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Silber posted:

Have you guys listened to The Heavy Eyes? I haven't seen them discussed here. I don't know whether to explain them a bluesy Truckfighters or a fuzzy Radio Moscow. Either way, enjoy! I am giving them my five dollars.

I've actually posted about them a few times.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

About to go see Boris, I'm really excited for it.

Chest3r
Dec 8, 2003
nutsack.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Me too Orlando buddy!

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Friends Are Evil posted:

Would love to hear what their set-list is like, i'll be seeing them in New Orleans or Austin this weekend.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Well, saw them about 3 weeks ago, and as I recall the first half focused on the three new ones, and some from the first Heavy Rocks and Pink in the second half. Pretty much what you'd expect, although it's been a little while. Very good show.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Gils posted:

Well, saw them about 3 weeks ago, and as I recall the first half focused on the three new ones, and some from the first Heavy Rocks and Pink in the second half. Pretty much what you'd expect, although it's been a little while. Very good show.
Yeah, a lot of their set list seemed to focus on their older stuff. Even though I know it never would have happened, it would have been great if they maybe threw some stuff in from their dronier albums like Amplifier Worship.

Great show otherwise, though.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Nice, I really had no idea what to expect but that is definitely good to hear, thanks.

Also thanks to everyone who recommended Celeste here a while ago, I finally got around to listening to their stuff over last month and I liked it a lot. A whole lot.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

New stuff from Wino (St. Vitus, Shrinebuilder)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKx3H3pbOyI

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Yeah, a lot of their set list seemed to focus on their older stuff. Even though I know it never would have happened, it would have been great if they maybe threw some stuff in from their dronier albums like Amplifier Worship.

I haven't seen them in a couple years, but last time in Toronto they definitely played "Huge". Pretty much made my night.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Silber posted:

This is exactly the sort of stuff I am looking for right now. Basically my list now is consisting of

Radio Moscow
The Heavy Eyes
Truckfighters
Graveyard
The Sword

Graveyard is especially my favorite, Hisingen Blues is loving incredible. Is there any other recommnded sabbath throwback fuzz bands that I should be listening to?

E: Youtube recommnded Egypt off The Heavy Eyes, they are pretty bitchin.

Myrmidongs fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 8, 2011

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Myrmidongs posted:

This is exactly the sort of stuff I am looking for right now. Basically my list now is consisting of

Radio Moscow
The Heavy Eyes
Truckfighters
Graveyard
The Sword

Graveyard is especially my favorite, Hisingen Blues is loving incredible. Is there any other recommnded sabbath throwback fuzz bands that I should be listening to?

Dead Meadow, newer Electric Wizard, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I really enjoy Bardo Pond's self-titled; I was pretty gutted to miss them opening for Circle recently. Any suggestions for which ones to listen to next?

Slabdragger tomorrow!

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Myrmidongs posted:

Radio Moscow
The Heavy Eyes
Truckfighters
Graveyard
The Sword

Danava, maybe? They have a new one out that's kind of in that vein.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Clutch fans - Neil Fallon was interviewed in Aisha Tyler's Girl on Guide podcast on the 7th:

http://www.girlonguy.net/girl_on_guy_with_aisha_tyler/girl_on_guy_with_aisha_tyler.html

NuclearGuru
Jan 4, 2011

Crackerman posted:

Clutch fans - Neil Fallon was interviewed in Aisha Tyler's Girl on Guide podcast on the 7th:

http://www.girlonguy.net/girl_on_guy_with_aisha_tyler/girl_on_guy_with_aisha_tyler.html

This is awesome, thanks for posting. Neil is the man.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I think she talked more during that interview than Neil.

Can't wait to see Clutch in a few weeks. First time for me and they're like the best band ever. :allears:

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

NuclearGuru posted:

This is awesome, thanks for posting. Neil is the man.

Yeah, he's really laid back and there's no nonsense or "frontman" thing about him he's just a guy.

Metanaut posted:

I think she talked more during that interview than Neil.

She's terrible for this in all of them. She doesn't stop in the Jon Benjamin interview and I just want to hear his lovely voice.

Clutch are supporting Thin Lizzy in Cardiff in February and I would love to see them again because they are fantastic live but I have zero interest in Thin Lizzy.

Neil says some stuff about Black Sabbath at the end involving Rick Rubin and "new material" that is pretty interesting considering this countdown and the recent rumours that were stirred up about another reunion (although Iommi staunchly denied it.)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I admit to not reading the entire thread, so sorry if it has been up, but is anyone into Conan? Horseback Battle Hammer sounds like a really decent album from the tunes I've heard, and I will probably go see them when they hit Copenhagen april next year.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Crackerman posted:

Neil says some stuff about Black Sabbath at the end involving Rick Rubin and "new material" that is pretty interesting considering this countdown and the recent rumours that were stirred up about another reunion (although Iommi staunchly denied it.)

Well I guess everyone knows by now (and it probably might merit its own thread in the near future when more details emerge) but if you take a look at blacksabbath.com and black-sabbath.com it looks like a 2012 reunion/record/tour is imminent. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't totally eager to here a new Sabbath record, even though the two new songs on the Reunion record weren't that great. Surely they can at the very least top Never Say Die?

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Silver Brushes posted:

Surely they can at the very least top Never Say Die?

The major problem with Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die is that they are extremely overwrought albums. Too much fuss, too much production and too much work. The first three are classic because they're so bare and stripped down and raw sounding. There's a simplicity that makes so many of the songs so memorable. They lost that a bit from Vol. 4 on, but they struck a good balance between flamboyance and straight rock and roll until Technical Ecstasy, but it all got out of hand after that.

Heavan and Hell's The Devil You Know was decent because it stripped everything down again. It was a bit too slow for me and I got boring, but it showed there's still potential there for basic heavy rock.

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006

Tias posted:

I admit to not reading the entire thread, so sorry if it has been up, but is anyone into Conan? Horseback Battle Hammer sounds like a really decent album from the tunes I've heard, and I will probably go see them when they hit Copenhagen april next year.

I'm a big fan of their split with Slomatics. Nice guys, too.

There's an early mix of a tune from the new Colour Haze album floating about (with the blessing of the band): http://youtu.be/RvwAfeURuwY

Wasn't sure what I thought at first, but I've been unable to get it out of my head for a week or more now, so I guess it must be good.

treetheheavy
Mar 28, 2005

About to go see Red Fang again, I wish I could catch them sometime when they weren't just playing a half hour set. I really hope Mastodon doesn't have a lovely mix like the last time I saw them either.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

treetheheavy posted:

About to go see Red Fang again, I wish I could catch them sometime when they weren't just playing a half hour set. I really hope Mastodon doesn't have a lovely mix like the last time I saw them either.

I saw Mastodon at The Docks (in Toronto) opening for Dethklok (which is obviously a comedy bill, but Mastodon took it very seriously) and despite the fact that it's renowned for lovely mixing, and I've seen many poorly mixed shows there myself, speaking from a purely technical standpoint it was actually one of the best sounding shows I've attended. They played for about an hour and a half, too. I wish that type of Mastodon live experience upon you.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Alright, my bands new ep is up: http://woodrue.bandcamp.com/album/blood-bile-black-bones

Go check it out!

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 15, 2011

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dyna Soar posted:

Alright, my bands new ep is up: http://woodrue.bandcamp.com/album/blood-bile-black-bones

Go check it out!

I like it, lots of potential, but the drums sound a bit weird and ambiguous in the mix. Snare has no crack/snap to it and the kick would benefit immensely if it ducked some portion of the wall of guitar/bass fuzz sound you have going on. Truckfighters has this technique perfected to a fine science; the snare and kick each duck the guitar and bass at the same time with a med/slow attack and slow release, giving the drums more space to breath in the mix and giving the listener something to attach themselves to outside of a relentless steamroller wall of fuzzed out guitar and bass. Ask your current/next producer/recorder/engineer guy about it.

That being said, is Church of Misery a huge influence on you guys? Part of 'Misery' reminds me of 'Spahn Ranch', not to mention the sound clips you guys use. Overall, keep it up. :devil:

edit: durr, your song 'misery' sounds like church of misery... if that isn't a dead giveaway i dont know what is. i'm slow as hell today.

Also, what's your role in the band?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 15, 2011

Winston Chill
Aug 24, 2008

Fine and dandy.

Dyna Soar posted:

Go check it out!

I'm really liking your stuff, even with the lousy mixing. Too bad you're only releasing a cassette. I'm not sure if I liked the songs on your demo better though.

Can't wait to see you guys opening for Chuch of Misery.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Handen posted:

I like it, lots of potential, but the drums sound a bit weird and ambiguous in the mix. Snare has no crack/snap to it and the kick would benefit immensely if it ducked some portion of the wall of guitar/bass fuzz sound you have going on. Truckfighters has this technique perfected to a fine science; the snare and kick each duck the guitar and bass at the same time with a med/slow attack and slow release, giving the drums more space to breath in the mix and giving the listener something to attach themselves to outside of a relentless steamroller wall of fuzzed out guitar and bass. Ask your current/next producer/recorder/engineer guy about it.

Thanks for the input. Both our demos have been DIY efforts through and through. We recorded this playing live at our practice space with 8 mics, 1 for each guitar, 1 for bass, 2 overheads and 3 for drums (kick, toms and snare iirc) with minimal production (mostly just that all instruments are audible, we didn't really pay too much or maybe enough attention to separate instruments). This is more of a second demo than a real release, or thats how we treat it anyway. Next time we're going to a studio it will be more of a pro thing and it'll definitely have better production values.

Handen posted:

That being said, is Church of Misery a huge influence on you guys? Part of 'Misery' reminds me of 'Spahn Ranch', not to mention the sound clips you guys use. Overall, keep it up. :devil:

Not really, no. I've made most of the riffs but songwriting as a whole is a group effort for us and half of the band hadn't heard CoM before we got asked to play with them. That said I personally love CoM and Tatsu is def an influence on my playing style.

Handen posted:

Also, what's your role in the band?

I play bass, make riffs & do the artwork and write some lyrics.

Winston Chill posted:

I'm really liking your stuff, even with the lousy mixing. Too bad you're only releasing a cassette. I'm not sure if I liked the songs on your demo better though.

Can't wait to see you guys opening for Chuch of Misery.

Heh, thanks. We're re-recording everything and we've got a few new songs lines up for our possible LP that's possibly coming next year. Possibly :).

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Bloody Panda’s New Remix Album: Another Awesome Name Your Price Download.

Anyone given this a listen yet?

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

http://www.roadburn.com/2011/11/saturnalia-temple-and-year-of-the-goat-confirmed-for-roadburn-2012/

^^^ That thing? Oh, that's just the announcement for our gig at Roadburn next year.

HELL. loving. YEAH.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

saigon_15 posted:

http://www.roadburn.com/2011/11/saturnalia-temple-and-year-of-the-goat-confirmed-for-roadburn-2012/

^^^ That thing? Oh, that's just the announcement for our gig at Roadburn next year.

HELL. loving. YEAH.

AWESOME. I was just going to post about your newfirst album UR (I had no idea a goon was in that band). I was listening to it on the bus this morning on my way to work. It's really good.

Congrats!

EDIT - Both albums are good, go get them everyone!

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 17, 2011

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Polegrinder posted:

AWESOME. I was just going to post about your new album UR (I had no idea a goon was in that band). I was listening to it on the bus this morning on my way to work. It's really good.

Congrats!

EDIT - Both albums are good, go get them everyone!

Aion of Drakon is the new album. And I've been meaning to get it but no money and all that. Where would be a good place to get it on vinyl?

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Frank Caskelot posted:

Aion of Drakon is the new album. And I've been meaning to get it but no money and all that. Where would be a good place to get it on vinyl?

Hmm, looks like the vinyl is sold out from both the American and European label... So either come see us live or hunt on ebay, I guess.

And yes, UR is 4 or 5 years old, just to keep the record straight.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

saigon_15 posted:

Hmm, looks like the vinyl is sold out from both the American and European label... So either come see us live or hunt on ebay, I guess.

Haha sorry... I don't know why I thought it was the newest one. Either way, they are both good albums.

EDIT - The only vinyl on Ebay - Aion of Drakon

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 17, 2011

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

saigon_15 posted:

Turns out Doomentia Records still had some, so I ordered it just now. I'll still want to see you live though. Any plans of coming to Finland again? We might even do some shows together.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Polegrinder posted:

Haha sorry... I don't know why I thought it was the newest one. Either way, they are both good albums.

Thanks! Incidentally, UR is still available on vinyl from Monumentum records

EDIT: We're trying to get some new Finnish dates done, but we're far from anything solid yet. I'll keep the thread informed!
EDIT: Also, thank you for buying the record!

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm late to the game on Dopethrone. Goddamn. They've got a pretty righteous Weedeater/Electric Wizard thing going for themselves.