Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
It starts off great, hits a lull when it middles, then when Idi Amin comes on screen it explodes from then onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but as there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to recommending shows, this'll have to do. So, over the past couple of years I've been binging on a variety of series; most notably The Wire, The Shield, Lost, Burn Notice, Firefly, Heroes (although the first series were by far the best; I only really watched the following seasons just to see what happens to the characters in the end) and even 24. (...Yeah, sometimes I wonder why I spent quite that much money on that series)

Anyway, so what I'm wondering is, can anyone suggest a good series for me to watch? Preferably one with more of an over-arching plot, as opposed to a new plot/sub-plot (which is what the main focus is, sort of thing) each episode? (I'm more referring to stuff like Burn Notice with that. It's good, but I just don't feel like that sort of story, at the moment. I suppose in terms of plot format that I'm looking for, Lost would probably be best-suited)

Doesn't have to be any of the genres that those are part of; I'm pretty flexible when it comes to genres; I like a bit of everything, as opposed to sticking to just one. I'm currently thinking of getting Band of Brothers, but that's just a miniseries, so it won't be long for me to be back on the hunt for something new. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated, as I haven't spend the vast majority of a day binging on a TV series for a long time!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Major Isoor posted:

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but as there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to recommending shows, this'll have to do. So, over the past couple of years I've been binging on a variety of series; most notably The Wire, The Shield, Lost, Burn Notice, Firefly, Heroes (although the first series were by far the best; I only really watched the following seasons just to see what happens to the characters in the end) and even 24. (...Yeah, sometimes I wonder why I spent quite that much money on that series)

Anyway, so what I'm wondering is, can anyone suggest a good series for me to watch? Preferably one with more of an over-arching plot, as opposed to a new plot/sub-plot (which is what the main focus is, sort of thing) each episode? (I'm more referring to stuff like Burn Notice with that. It's good, but I just don't feel like that sort of story, at the moment. I suppose in terms of plot format that I'm looking for, Lost would probably be best-suited)

Doesn't have to be any of the genres that those are part of; I'm pretty flexible when it comes to genres; I like a bit of everything, as opposed to sticking to just one. I'm currently thinking of getting Band of Brothers, but that's just a miniseries, so it won't be long for me to be back on the hunt for something new. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated, as I haven't spend the vast majority of a day binging on a TV series for a long time!

Farscape, Babylon 5, Homicide, Cougar Town, Kings, Deadwood, Carnivale, I Claidius, Rome, Fringe, Spartacus, Mad Men, Misfits, Life on Mars, Being Human, Ashes to Ashes

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

recommending shows

Breaking Bad fits right in with the other stuff you've mentioned, if you haven't seen it. It can be episodic at points but it's mostly big arcs over the seasons. The recent season just ended (wrapping up without any aggravating cliffhangers) so you're at a good spot to binge through.

It's on Netflix streaming.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Farscape, Babylon 5, Homicide, Cougar Town, Kings, Deadwood, Carnivale, I Claidius, Rome, Fringe, Spartacus, Mad Men, Misfits, Life on Mars, Being Human, Ashes to Ashes

Whoops! Completely forgot Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes! But yeah, I've heard of a few of those, and a preview on TV for Misfits did pique my interest, so I may need to check up on that! (I'll also look up the others when I get home, too) Thanks

Piano posted:

Breaking Bad fits right in with the other stuff you've mentioned, if you haven't seen it. It can be episodic at points but it's mostly big arcs over the seasons. The recent season just ended (wrapping up without any aggravating cliffhangers) so you're at a good spot to binge through.

Ah, yeah a few people I know seem to enjoy that show. It's of a science/chem teacher creating/dealing meth etc, or something, isn't it? Well, at the moment I'm kind of "full" in terms of police/criminal shows, (from The Wire and The Shield. 24 wore me down a bit, too) but I'll have to keep an eye out for it, later on! (I'm Australian too, by the way - so new seasons/shows arrive way later on DVD, and I've got a rubbish broadband deal, so I can't really afford to stream, sadly. I probably should've mentioned everything in this paragraph earlier, sorry!)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 14, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Misfits is Heroes done right

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Misfits is Heroes done right

I reckon that's about sealed the deal! :D So, is it essentially Heroes season 1 for each three seasons, (has the third one actually been done yet? It said 2011 on Wikipedia) or even better/not-as-good-as-S1-but-better-than-S2-to-S4?

Seems to be a trend with Brit shows that are similar to US ones :D

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

I reckon that's about sealed the deal! :D So, is it essentially Heroes season 1 for each three seasons, (has the third one actually been done yet? It said 2011 on Wikipedia) or even better/not-as-good-as-S1-but-better-than-S2-to-S4?

Seems to be a trend with Brit shows that are similar to US ones :D

Its "super heroes" but they are all criminals. It is on its third season and it has lost a cast member but it has the same quality.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Its "super heroes" but they are all criminals. It is on its third season and it has lost a cast member but it has the same quality.

Alright cool, I guess my current plan is to go for the first two seasons, (season 1 is supposedly only $15, which is always nice) then maybe Band of Brothers or something, while I wait for the third season to eventually be released down here. Should be quicker than US shows coming out in Aus, at least.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Band of Brothers is excellent. One of the best things HBO has done. I don't think I've seen a show as many times through as that one. I must watch the complete thing through once a year.

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

I'm Australian too, by the way - so new seasons/shows arrive way later on DVD

Amazon ships to Australia, and it usually ends up a lot cheaper than buying locally. Just make sure your DVD player is region-free (most DVD players sold in Australia are).

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

If you like Band of Brothers you should give The Pacific a go, even though it doesn't quite work as well as Band of Brothers because it follows a few different stories so the narrative is a bit all over the place. It's worth it just for the episodes about Eugene Slege, especially the episodes in Peleliu and Okinawa.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Band of Brothers is excellent. One of the best things HBO has done. I don't think I've seen a show as many times through as that one. I must watch the complete thing through once a year.

Definitely agree with this. BoB is the best thing I've ever watched. Movie, TV show, anything.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I think I go through either Sports Night, Band of Brothers, or West Wing every few years. I've memorized most of the lines by now so I can just leave them on in the background while doing other things.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
How is The West Wing? I've always wanted to get into a cool drama about American politics, but it looked boring as hell to my 13-18 yr old eyes :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought it looked boring too and only started watching it in college when Bravo did some re-runs. It's a fantastic show for seasons 1-4. 5 sucks. And then 6-7 are really drat good but not really the same West Wing from the earlier ones. When I re-watch West Wing it's usually just 1 through 4.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Having watched The West Wing over the last year, I can say it's definitely one of the best shows on the air at the time. A ton of the stuff they discuss is still totally relevant (there's even a showdown between the speaker of the house and the president over the debt ceiling!) but the characters are what win you over.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I finished the first three seasons of Breaking Bad on Netflix a couple days ago and anxiously awaiting season four to show up on there hopefully in the near future. Thanks to this show, I can't watch one of the episodes of Seinfeld where Bryan Cranston guest starred as Tim Watley (the dentist who converted to Judaism just to tell Jewish jokes) without thinking of him as Walt. That shows how great of an actor he is.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.

Piano posted:

Seconding Breaking Bad. By the second episode I was hooked, very good episodes and character development. I highly recommend it. I started watching it due to all of the people talking about it on the Halloween thread. I'm almost done with Season 3, in about 3 weeks binging on Netflix streaming. What other shows would you all suggest?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Holy poo poo. I just got to "Peter" in Fringe season 2, and that is some A+ television right there.

If season 3 has episodes this good...

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Pron on VHS posted:

How is The West Wing? I've always wanted to get into a cool drama about American politics, but it looked boring as hell to my 13-18 yr old eyes :(

It's great. I was a similar age when it was actually on TV but I rewatched it later and it's one of my favorites. You get so incredibly attached to the characters and it can get a little cheesy once in a while, especially early in the series, but I was far too charmed with it to care. It's a nice balance of humor and drama as well.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I just started the second and final season of Stargate: Universe, and I am surprised at how good the show actually is. It sucks that it just couldn't draw the ratings, because it has some really interesting characters and stories. I know people were turned off by its switch to a more Battlestar Galactica tone and look, but it works considering the situation.

And the Stargate feel is still there, its just not apparent early on.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Major Isoor posted:

shows

Go watch Breaking Bad right now. Best show on TV, incredibly tense throughout.

Also, you would definitely like:
Terriers - 12 episodes and wraps up real nice from the creator of The Shield: two low-rent private investigators get involved in a larger conspiracy, things go wrong.
Homeland - From the creators of 24, but much more focused on character interaction and mystery. Currently a shoe-in for best new show of the season.
Game of Thrones - Perhaps not as quality as the aforementioned, but a fun, intriguing show to watch even without any knowledge of the books. I went in cold and ended up really enjoying it.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

DFu4ever posted:

I just started the second and final season of Stargate: Universe, and I am surprised at how good the show actually is. It sucks that it just couldn't draw the ratings, because it has some really interesting characters and stories. I know people were turned off by its switch to a more Battlestar Galactica tone and look, but it works considering the situation.

And the Stargate feel is still there, its just not apparent early on.

Same for me too. I'm a little over half-way through season 1 and I'm digging it far more than I thought I would.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Cart posted:

Terriers - 12 episodes and wraps up real nice from the creator of The Shield: two low-rent private investigators get involved in a larger conspiracy, things go wrong.

Game of Thrones - Perhaps not as quality as the aforementioned, but a fun, intriguing show to watch even without any knowledge of the books. I went in cold and ended up really enjoying it.

I have to say I'd rather give my stamp of quality for Game of Thrones than Terriers. I loved every second of GoT. Terriers had couple really bad episodes. Donal Logue was the reason I kept watching after horribly boring second episode (might have been third episode, can't remember), but on a whole it was pretty entertaining show.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Okay guys, this is really funny.

So about a year ago, I started watching Battlestar Galactica. I think it's really awesome and well done and fascinating, and get into it, but take my time because it's intense stuff and I don't really want to rush through it. I make it through season 1, and then most of season 2 before my pace really began to slow. At some point close to the end of season 2, I just got distracted and took a break, and for whatever reason I unintentionally wound up not getting back to it for quite a while.

Until recently! Just a few weeks ago, my interest in the show newly renewed, I gave it another shot, but I had to start all the way back at the beginning because there was no other way for me to really properly get it into the flow of it. BSG is so involved, it's like a deeply complex novel. You can't put it down for a year and then pick up right where you left off.

Now, I finally just caught up to where I left off and (BSG spoilers through to the end Season 2 follow)It is SO loving hilarious and ironic where I left off during my first attempt at watching it! I loving somehow wound up stopping literally right before the season 2 finale, after watching the episode Lay Down Your Burdens (part 1). To refresh your memory, that is the episode *directly before* the big "1 YEAR LATER" jump. I just find this so hilarious, somehow. It's almost perfect, like I experienced that 1 year of lost time in my own life right along with the characters in some strange way. Ah well.

Anyway, I'm happy I picked it up again and I'm enjoying the frak out of it again, especially now that I'm caught up and finally watching new episodes. I admit that I'm slightly worried that seasons 3 and 4 won't be quite as good as seasons 1 and 2. Can anyone give me a general sense of whether there's a drop in quality without spoiling anything?

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm going through Psych right now and I'm loving every second of it. I'm almost done with the second season and I'm super excited that I'm not even half way through it yet. And once I get all caught up with Psych I think I feel another Carnivale rewatch coming.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Regarding BSG: There is a drop in quality, but I'd say it's not bad throughout. People were VERY divided about the finale.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Chamberk posted:

Regarding BSG: There is a drop in quality, but I'd say it's not bad throughout. People were VERY divided about the finale.

Yeah, the first two seasons were so good that I think it would be a bit unfair to expect them to keep up with that kind of quality (think Lost, but dial it back a few notches). On my first time through I didn't really notice much of a dip in quality. There are some really good plot arcs in the last couple seasons though. There really are only a few specific things in seasons 3 and 4 that bothered me, the people who have seen it could probably guess what at least two of them are. Just keep watching and form your own opinion, I'd be surprised if you finished the series completely disappointed besides maybe having a bad taste in your mouth from the finale.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jingleheimer posted:

Yeah, the first two seasons were so good that I think it would be a bit unfair to expect them to keep up with that kind of quality (think Lost, but dial it back a few notches). On my first time through I didn't really notice much of a dip in quality. There are some really good plot arcs in the last couple seasons though. There really are only a few specific things in seasons 3 and 4 that bothered me, the people who have seen it could probably guess what at least two of them are. Just keep watching and form your own opinion, I'd be surprised if you finished the series completely disappointed besides maybe having a bad taste in your mouth from the finale.

Does one of them start with a W and K?

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Looks like the Justified thread has been archived so I am posting this here.

FX is showing back to back reruns starting with season 1 every week late Wednesday nights. I missed the first few episodes but I think it is still early in the season.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Justified only gets better and better.

BSG is hit and miss after season 2, so don't stop watching. There are individual events that make the show, like the Adama Maneuver for example.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
The first few episodes of Season 3 of BSG are some of the best in the show; and even though I consistently felt disappointed watching the last season and a half of the show, I'm willing to bet that some of the "worst" episodes would have been wayyyyy less disappointing had I not waited so long for them. Plus there are also the highlights here and there.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I'm one of the few who really liked that boxing episode.

suction
Jul 17, 2009

Obeast posted:

I finished the first three seasons of Breaking Bad on Netflix a couple days ago and anxiously awaiting season four to show up on there hopefully in the near future. Thanks to this show, I can't watch one of the episodes of Seinfeld where Bryan Cranston guest starred as Tim Watley (the dentist who converted to Judaism just to tell Jewish jokes) without thinking of him as Walt. That shows how great of an actor he is.

Did you see Skyler & Saul on Seinfeld as well?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Nate RFB posted:

Going through Parks and Recreation and currently in the middle of season 2, and drat is it good. I was never really that big of a fan of the US version of The Office even during its best days, but I'm loving this. The characters are just so much fun. I did skip season 1 outright due to a lot of advice said on this forum (just read up an episode-by-episode synopsis), so far I haven't really missed a beat.

What? I thought the first season was good, you should watch it. The show definitely gets WAY better in season 2, but there's no reason to avoid Season 1. I's funny - not so funny you'll piss yourself, but still chuckleworthy, and contains the backbone of what later becomes a fantastic show. Plus, the first season starts a lot of jokes that get carried throughout the series, and sets up for a lot of stuff like the raccoon problem, the mayor's dog Rufus, Leslie's addiction to sweets and whipped cream, etc.

EDIT: The travel pillow joke, that starts in season 1. In season 1, Leslie injures her neck falling into the pit herself, and duct tapes a travel pillow around her head. Later on (in Season 2 I think) Andy gets the dirt dumped on his head because he was sleeping in the pit, and we see him wearing the pillowbrace. I'm pretty sure it's popped up a few more times too, like in the hunting trip ep, etc. Stuff like that - there's a lot of repeating imagery jokes in Parks & Rec that are never pointed out, and most of them started in season 1. END EDIT

Parks & Rec is a good show because it's not afraid to constantly re-invent characters and change their roles, as well as get rid of characters who no longer seem useful. Hell, they're not even afraid to change the entire main plot of the show if it gets stale. The pit basically just sort of disappears. It works really well because they don't drag their feet, they make the change and move on.

EDIT 2:
Also, Season 1 is worth watching because Andy becomes one of the most redeemed characters in the show. Andy is season 1 is a diiiiiick. Seriously, huge manchild, they pretty much craft him to be charming & funny but easy to hate. They start season 2 with him being a total creeper to Anne, but then he becomes friends with April and the rest of the Parks & Rec crew and begins to change, and actually makes sincere and good efforts to impress people - until by the end of the 3rd season he's one of the most likable characters.

\/\/\/ Haha, I know, right? They just quietly tuck it away. They call back to it a few times later, but nothing overt, just a quick little, "Oh well, we can't because X" and then move on.

God drat, I sound like a nerd about this show - I watched it earlier this year and now it's one of my favorites to put on while doing chores around the house, so I've seen it through a few times.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 17, 2011

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Holy crap, I'm like 16 episodes into Season 2 and would have never noticed the pit plot disappearing if it weren't for the above post. What an entertaining and funny show.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

The reason we tell people not to watch season 1 is that there are tons of people who give up on the show after watching season 1. It's not BAD, but it's certainly underwhelming if you're expecting comedic brilliance.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Yeah, I watched the first episode when it aired, and thought it was awful. However, much later, I caught this episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrIeP798hiQ
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I loved how when he went to a strip club he was more excited by the breakfast buffet than the girls.

Also this. I hate everything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTTARq6V48M