Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Not to hate on merchchat but I don't really get buying shirts online. I only get 'em at shows. I figure it's kind of like a medal, like "Yeah, I've seen them". If you're wearing a shirt you ordered online, it's not saying anything other than "This is a band I like" which, who cares? At least with the show-bought shirt you have a story to go with it.

Sovietski posted:

Gentlemen!

Allow me to direct your attention to RED FANG.
It's my humble opinion that Red Fang is taking metal in the greatest possible direction and NOW THIS

Say what you will about Mastodon, but it's easily a worthy show just for Red Fang.

(Shameless self-promotion) I went to this the other night. I wrote a thing about it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Not to hate on merchchat but I don't really get buying shirts online. I only get 'em at shows. I figure it's kind of like a medal, like "Yeah, I've seen them". If you're wearing a shirt you ordered online, it's not saying anything other than "This is a band I like" which, who cares? At least with the show-bought shirt you have a story to go with it.

Why wear anything but 5 for a dollar wal-mart t-shirts then?

Also they are definitely conversation starters.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bruce Boxliker posted:

What about bands that don't play shows? Or that just never come within 400 miles?

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Yeah, if I only bought shirts from shows, I'd own nothing but Cannibal Corpse and Nile shirts. That's what living in Orlando is like.

Buying shirts from distros online or at fests, at least I know the band will get some cut of it, and it's still a cool story. Like "Oh, I found this cool vendor at MDF and they had this totally rare shirt blah blah blah."

For real, if I only bought shirts from shows, I'd own about 5. And I wouldn't have my sweet collection of Dissection shirts, and that would be lame.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, I kind of doubt I'll ever get to see a Bathory show for quite a few reasons.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I used to have this attitude towards merch, but over the years I have lost count of the amount of times I've either not had enough money for a shirt/hoodie or been too drunk to remember to get one. I've left LPs, EPs, demos and merch I've been given for free in venues, fields and pubs across the world as well.

The other thing about buying merch at a show specifically is that quite often the selection is quite low and I'm picky about the backprints on t-shirts (read as: if I can avoid them I can, they're mostly idiotic). The one good thing about it is, barring a lot of fests, the money goes straight from your pocket to the bands'.

Speaking of, if the band you want merch from is fairly underground, but you have contact details, it's often worth emailing them to see if you can get it directly, or if they know who handles distro for your continent.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
If it's something like Bathory you have no chance of seeing then yeah, ordering is your only option. I guess I have enough shows coming through that I can rep a fair variety of shirts. I tend to not wear metal shirts that often though, I'm not a huge fan of the "traditional" metal shirt (black, band name up top, picture of some metal thing happening).

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I bought an Obscura hoodie when I saw them last week and the zipper is already broken :argh:

The way I see it buying band merch is as much about giving the band you like money as getting something to wear, buying it at a show is the best way to make sure they get the money from it.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

dxt posted:

The way I see it buying band merch is as much about giving the band you like money as getting something to wear, buying it at a show is the best way to make sure they get the money from it.

Yeah, and to reiterate I'm all for whatever methods help out the bands, that's what it's about at the end of the day after all.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to acquire a "Tales from Topographic Oceans" shirt when Yes doesn't even tour anymore. :(

I usually buy shirts at the concert, but lately I've been just purchasing the tour shirts off eBay or something after seeing the band. It's hard to justify a $45 Heritage shirt in a small when I could get the same thing a few months later for $20.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

IRQ posted:

Their shirts run a bit on the small side, which is worth bearing in mind, but yeah their stuff is quality. I have a Blood Fire Death shirt from them and it's got sparkly stuff in the gold ink for gently caress's sake.

That's funny you say that because I've found they're one of the only 2xl shirt places made for tall instead of fat.

But yeah they ABSOLUTELY put top effort into their shirts. My Emperor shirt has the gold glittery lettering, sleeve emblems, a sweet faded in cover on the back. I got a Death/Leprosy shirt too that is unreal, and no other place sells it.

Vargatron posted:

I usually buy shirts at the concert, but lately I've been just purchasing the tour shirts off eBay or something after seeing the band. It's hard to justify a $45 Heritage shirt in a small when I could get the same thing a few months later for $20.

It's easy to justify it when it's the band getting that money, not some internet slob.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 17, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I agree with what thepitgoddess said, but I do have one exception. I won't buy tour/fest shirts unless I was at the said tour/fest. That just seems silly.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Yeah, and to reiterate I'm all for whatever methods help out the bands, that's what it's about at the end of the day after all.

I like to think i put my $40 into Lemmy's video poker machine :patriot:

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to acquire a "Tales from Topographic Oceans" shirt when Yes doesn't even tour anymore. :(

I think Yes still tours, they came through town a few months ago.

And where are you/what shows are you going to with $45 shirts? Most expensive I recall seeing off the top of my head is around $25.

With all these replies I'm starting to think where I live is an anomaly.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
In Canada, big fests and the like sometimes charge 40 bucks for their shirts and don't let artists undercut it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

The only time I've seen it above $40 was at the Heaven and Hell show (Dio Black Sabbath) and last time I saw Maiden. Both were arena shows. At shows for a shirt I think $15 is a good deal, $20 about normal, $25 is a little steep and if it's $30+ it better be something other than a tshirt.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Feast of Burden posted:

I don't know if this has made the rounds here yet, but I'll be damned if this isn't hilarious on so many levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQin6rnTzYQ

RIP Chris Barnes' career.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
11 new Agoraphobic Nosebleed are on soundcloud, they're also on the Decibel flexi vinyl series. A bit noisier and grindier than usual, but good.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
My girlfriend won't let me wear metal shirts in public anymore.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Time for a new girlfriend

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

DEAR RICHARD posted:

In all fairness, most metal t-shirts are embarrassing. If the designs aren't cringe-inducing, the slogans on the back usually are. There's always diamonds in the rough though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I really wish bands would stop putting poo poo on the back of their shirts.

So many potentially good shirts are ruined by some horrible design or text on the back.

An equal number of long sleeved shirts are ruined by terribly designs going down the sleeves.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The worst longsleeve designs are repeating band names/logos. Whoever the hell came up with than needs shot. I did used to have an awesome black Grave longsleeve that was dark red logo print on the front with the tour dates in tiny silver lettering on one sleeve around the bicep and no backprint. More bands need longsleeves like that.

[edit] Looked exactly like this. Obviously it's really dark in person since the seller has over-exposed massively to get the print to show (it's a deep ruby red).

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 18, 2011

Jacquismo
Dec 1, 2003
~~HEY GUYS I'M ON THE RHINOCEROS I MEAN INTERNET~~

Sovietski posted:

Gentlemen!

Allow me to direct your attention to RED FANG.
It's my humble opinion that Red Fang is taking metal in the greatest possible direction and NOW THIS

I'm a day late, but I can verify that Red Fang is loving awesome. Their bassist/singer was sick when I saw them, so they did it as a threesome and still kicked rear end (but now my shirt only has three signatures). Putting cash into their Beer Fund cup was the best money I've ever spent.

Murder the Mountains hasn't gotten much attention, but it's a great album.. It's like Black Sabbath had a baby with Queens of the Stone Age and it was adopted by The Sword.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Morbid Florist posted:

That's funny you say that because I've found they're one of the only 2xl shirt places made for tall instead of fat.

But yeah they ABSOLUTELY put top effort into their shirts. My Emperor shirt has the gold glittery lettering, sleeve emblems, a sweet faded in cover on the back. I got a Death/Leprosy shirt too that is unreal, and no other place sells it.

If only I was tall...

MrBling posted:

I really wish bands would stop putting poo poo on the back of their shirts.

So many potentially good shirts are ruined by some horrible design or text on the back.

An equal number of long sleeved shirts are ruined by terribly designs going down the sleeves.

Check out Primordial's newest batch of shirts. Sleeve prints all over the place. On short sleeves.

I realize we're a cut above average around here, but why do bands keep thinking this is a good thing to do?

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Maybe it's just me and the bf, but I love shirts with print on the front and back. I love full color shirts. I love long sleeves with sleeve prints. I am not really a fan of just plain logo shirts, unless there's something totally cool about the shirt. I like non-black t-shirts.

Don't get me wrong, I have my share of one color, front only prints, but if I buy something, I want to love it and I want it to be pretty, drat it.

I guess I'm in the minority here. It's not like I wear them to work or to fancy occasions, although if I'm not working, I'm almost always in jeans and a metal T shirt.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I just dislike walking about with "extreme music for extreme people" (to cite a well-known and stupid slogan) plastered all over my back - or even worse, the dreaded band photo. Lyrics are a two-way street, you either look stupid or you offend people and look stupid. I have more than a few t-shirts that would have the Bundespolizei thinking about fines purely because of a backprint and/or loving runes down the sleeves.

Primordial's t-shirts aren't actually that bad, in the sense, yes there's sleeve prints, but they're not repeated, and the backprint isn't . Nemty himself isn't much of a fan of the repeated prints as far as I can remember, but seeing as he cuts the sleeves off of just about every short sleeve he owns...

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
MERCHCHAT

Went to see Insomnium the other day. It was the only UK date of their European tour (I think) so they had done that AWFUL AWFUL thing of crossing out the € signs, and replacing them with £ signs. This really fucks me off - and there is no way I would pay £20 for a t-shirt. Haha what.

Buying girly t-shirts is always a bit of a crapshoot which is why I prefer to buy them at gigs, when you can at least hold them up and see how long they are. I mean, I bought a Moonsorrow girly tee online, and it stops just above my belly button, so I always have to wear a vest underneath, which is kind of a pain. But my Kampfar tee (with tasteful backprint) is nice and long, so I wear it all the time.

My bf has a Sólstafir t-shirt with the backprint "Anti-Christian Icelandic Heathen Bastards" which is fine for shows, less so for walking around town :) it's slightly more tasteful than his Benediction shirt, which has "THEY MUST DIE SCREAMING" in bloody red letters across the back. He's usually too embarrassed to wear that one.

On a kind of related note, Bolt Thrower have announced a 25th anniversary special show in April next year. I'm totally going, as even though I don't listen to them that much, they put on an amazing show. Early heads up to Londoners to get tickets as soon as, since I am willing to bet it sells out.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
On the topic of shirts with dumb stuff on the back, I bought a Death shirt while in Japan a few years back and discovered it had "100% PURE ORGANIC METAL" on the back. I usually wear it with a zip up sweatshirt so I don't have to show the back but I just wear it on its own once in a while, since it's more goofy than offensive.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Speaking of bootleg shirts, I just stumbled across this:

http://tshirtslayer.com/item/worst-bootleg-metal-shirts-ever

These are all amazing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

These are all amazing.

Ahahaha is that Dani Filth on that Behemoth shirt?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

These are all amazing.

I completely lost it at the Mayhem/Satyricon one. They weren't even trying.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I'm in a municipal waste shirt at work, in a corporate office right now. I can't believe this many of you are this worried about fashion statements and the perceptions of strangers.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

WOW.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm in a municipal waste shirt at work, in a corporate office right now. I can't believe this many of you are this worried about fashion statements and the perceptions of strangers.

WOW.

Toxic Holocaust shirt at my government IT job right now, what's up :hfive:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

WOW.
A lot of offices would at least file a complaint if you wore a GOATWHORE shirt or something

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

A lot of offices would at least file a complaint if you wore a GOATWHORE shirt or something

Yeah, I tend to only where my Goatwhore shirt during the winter because I can throw a hoodie over it... I live in the bible belt and don't feel like dealing with people :kiddo:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Morbid Florist posted:

Hell yeah. I've rocked Portal, Bathory, Misery Index shirts at work and nobody gives a poo poo.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Morbid Florist posted:

Sounds like I need to get a start getting shirts from them when I need some more. I have a ton of shirts from MerchNow since they had a bunch of shirts for metalcore bands that were sized for scene kids to wear down to their knees. I'm a giant so they fit just right.

Gr31lly posted:

I just dislike walking about with "extreme music for extreme people" (to cite a well-known and stupid slogan) plastered all over my back - or even worse, the dreaded band photo. Lyrics are a two-way street, you either look stupid or you offend people and look stupid. I have more than a few t-shirts that would have the Bundespolizei thinking about fines purely because of a backprint and/or loving runes down the sleeves.

Primordial's t-shirts aren't actually that bad, in the sense, yes there's sleeve prints, but they're not repeated, and the backprint isn't . Nemty himself isn't much of a fan of the repeated prints as far as I can remember, but seeing as he cuts the sleeves off of just about every short sleeve he owns...

I completely agree with you on this. I have hilariously hideous Sodom and Symphony X shirts with awful pictures of the band on the back.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I get more compliments than anything when I wear shirts out. Every time that happens we end up BSing about shows and albums and poo poo. It's like a secret brotherhood.

Sometimes you run into dumbasses too. I remember I was checking out at Publix wearing a Corpse shirt and the cashier said "Awesome Corpse shirt, do you like Of Mice and Men too?" I was like "uhh the book? Never read it."

As for work, when I worked on the space shuttle I'd have a few that I'd wear. I stayed away from wearing anything super blasphemous or violent (didn't want to get called into HR).

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

These are all amazing.

That's awesome, there should be a whole blog dedicated to that. Weirdest one I've seen was a Sadistik Exekution shirt my friend bought. On the front it it was the SE band logo and some image and on the back it had a Nifelheim logo and image. It's like you could reverse the shirt depending on what band you wanted to show. Makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Haggins posted:

I get more compliments than anything when I wear shirts out. Every time that happens we end up BSing about shows and albums and poo poo. It's like a secret brotherhood.

It's nice to be able to fly a flag and maybe someone will recognize it, and at the same time be dismissed by people who frown on "that sort of thing", all without any effort. Saves time and aggravation.