Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stfu
May 16, 2011

I think I just drooled on my keyboard a little bit.
I kinda understand the need to bling out characters so the in-game animation will have an appropriate level of pizzazz, but the huge bear-mauling scar and ridiculous Cruella de Vil coat might be a little overboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousThird
Jul 24, 2006
second third same as the first
Maybe their costumes represent equips they might have used in P3? It's been a while since I played it but was there some kind of red cape item available?

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Outside of the possibility of "That's just how they look", perhaps it has something to do with the arena itself? Perhaps some effect on how Mitsuru and Akihiko look? Guess I'll just wait for an actual official explanation.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
That'd be pretty sweet (and would explain a lot) if those were their shadow-selves or whatever they're called, but they don't have the yellow eyes and weird gradient thing going on so I don't think that is it.

Also, I wonder if we'll get some legit canon backstory or something in the anime or since really the two of them look more similar than the fighting game and original P4. Although since its from BB's team they might just cram everything in singleplayer modes...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't see a problem with Akihiko's scars. I mean, he spent a year going up close and personal with nightmare beasts from the beyond - that's bound to leave a mark or three.

Mitsuru is a bit... odd, but really not much more questionable than going dungeoning in a skirt and high heels to begin with. v:geno:v

Still needs more Junpei and Yukari.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Akihiko's scars might be related to the fuckoff huge knife he's carrying around. Maybe he's just not as good with blades as with his fists. :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Akihiko more like Akirahiko

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
It was mentioned in the Mayonaka thread that Akihiko's scar is from the beginning of Persona 3 when he was attacked by a Shadow.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

It was mentioned in the Mayonaka thread that Akihiko's scar is from the beginning of Persona 3 when he was attacked by a Shadow.

Yeah, I remember he mentioned that it broke a bunch of ribs, specifically.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm sure they just wanted to vary up the characters, otherwise you'd get 'guy with grey hair in school uniform' vs 'guy with orange hair in school uniform'.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

But that doesn't make any sense. He was shown shirtless a couple times in P3P and he had no scar then. Once (in girl mode) during the Lovers/Heirophant night and again at the beach when he's wearing that barely there swimsuit. He later covers up with a t-shirt though.

It doesn't make sense for a scar to appear nearly a year later.

Morpheus posted:

I'm sure they just wanted to vary up the characters, otherwise you'd get 'guy with grey hair in school uniform' vs 'guy with orange hair in school uniform'.

Akihiko wouldn't be wearing a uniform either way since he's a college man now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nessa posted:

Akihiko wouldn't be wearing a uniform either way since he's a college man now.

I was actually thinking of P4 MC, but still, the point stands. When you make a fighting game, the character design is the bread and butter, and they need to stand out a lot from each other.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Akihiko looks loving bad-rear end.

Now I don't know who to main, Kanji or him.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Nutbladder posted:

I kinda understand the need to bling out characters so the in-game animation will have an appropriate level of pizzazz, but the huge bear-mauling scar and ridiculous Cruella de Vil coat might be a little overboard.

Wouldn't wanna go overboard in the game with the robot girl and big gently caress-off gun, the sentient fursuit and the dude that fights with a folding chair. Alternate response: They both come from a game where they shoot themselves in the head to summon assorted Greek mythological figures and fight alongside a ninja puppy, because why not? It's goofy and over the top, just roll with it.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

TurnipFritter posted:

Wouldn't wanna go overboard in the game with the robot girl and big gently caress-off gun, the sentient fursuit and the dude that fights with a folding chair. Alternate response: They both come from a game where they shoot themselves in the head to summon assorted Greek mythological figures and fight alongside a ninja puppy, because why not? It's goofy and over the top, just roll with it.

If there is one thing I've learned from all things Japanese, its that there is no such thing as too over-the-top. Especially when it comes to anime/games.
Btw how many characters are left to be revealed? I was hoping they would represent all arcanas up front, but there is already some repetition so I don't know what to think anymore.

edit:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Akihiko more like Akirahiko

:lol: I thought that looked familiar for some reason.

Xlyfindel fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 18, 2011

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Xlyfindel posted:

If there is one thing I've learned from all things Japanese, its that there is no such thing as too over-the-top. Especially when it comes to anime/games.
Btw how many characters are left to be revealed? I was hoping they would represent all arcanas up front, but there is already some repetition so I don't know what to think anymore.

There aren't any Persona Users for almost half of the arcana so unless they start making new characters that won't really be possible.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

El Belmondo posted:

Christ, Akihiko looks straight out of Street Fighter or King of Fighters. Especially with that bizarre scar. I'm not sure if it's :allears: or :gay:

Can't it be both?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

gtrmp posted:

Can't it be both?

But of course!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

There aren't any Persona Users for almost half of the arcana so unless they start making new characters that won't really be possible.

There's like... Hermit, Strength, and Tower, if we're going strictly by player characters.

edit: And Temperance. I always forget Temperance.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 18, 2011

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, if they allow characters from Persona 1 and 2 as well, they could more or less cover the whole arcana:

Linked for spoilers and HUGE

Balk
Oct 15, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Well, if they allow characters from Persona 1 and 2 as well, they could more or less cover the whole arcana:

Linked for spoilers and HUGE

Gotta love the Fortune crew in that image - so hilariously awkward. And who's that standing behind the P3/P4 protagonists?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Balk posted:

Gotta love the Fortune crew in that image - so hilariously awkward. And who's that standing behind the P3/P4 protagonists?

It's the IS protagonist, isn't it?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tatsuya from Innocent Sin is hanging out with Teddie. I'm guessing it's the P1 protagonist.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

P1's Hero is in the Emperor set.

The person in back of the Fool set is The Culprit from P4.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

P1's Hero is in the Emperor set.

The person in back of the Fool set is The Culprit from P4.

I thought it was Kandori at first, but that makes more sense.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Balk posted:

I thought it was Kandori at first, but that makes more sense.

Kandori's on down the line underneath the Tower.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Before anyone asks, the Temperance crew is the Kanzato family from Trinity Soul.

The only ones I'm unsure about are the two chilling with Kandori underneath Devil and Tower. I THINK the one on the left is Reiji from P1, and the fat guy is wearing a St. Hermellin uniform so I guess he'd be... that Snow Queen quest miniboss? Of all people.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Snot Man posted:

Before anyone asks, the Temperance crew is the Kanzato family from Trinity Soul.

The only ones I'm unsure about are the two chilling with Kandori underneath Devil and Tower. I THINK the one on the left is Reiji from P1, and the fat guy is wearing a St. Hermellin uniform so I guess he'd be... that Snow Queen quest miniboss? Of all people.

Yep, that's Reiji and Toro. Toro's Persona is never labeled or named anywhere, but P2 says that it makes him a better salesman so fans infer that it's probably the Devil arcana.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
Kandori is Tower? Wow, the hat and glasses make make it hard to tell that's him. He does have the mirror, but I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't been looking for it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Balk posted:

Kandori is Tower? Wow, the hat and glasses make make it hard to tell that's him. He does have the mirror, but I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't been looking for it.

It's his P2 design, so those are actually those Chinese balls you roll around in your hand. And yeah, he's Tower, or at least Nyarlathotep is.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What is the Arcana that all of the Velvet Room people are under? It's labeled XX but that's not the same design as the other Judgement card.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
That is a funny picture. The far right corner might be the best.
Demonee-hoo!

edit^It's The World. Rather fitting.

Ice Cream Social
Nov 11, 2007
audi alteram partem
I believe it's the Aeon arcana. Doesn't really make sense since it only appeared in P3FES and it was for Aigis, but whatever. The World is XXI, which is above the protagonists along with the Fool.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ice Cream Social posted:

I believe it's the Aeon arcana. Doesn't really make sense since it only appeared in P3FES and it was for Aigis, but whatever. The World is XXI, which is above the protagonists along with the Fool.

Based on the Roman numerals, I'd say it's the Judgment, actually.

Ice Cream Social
Nov 11, 2007
audi alteram partem
Looks like Aeon to me. Aeon also happens to be the only arcana that has appeared with a gold card instead of a blue card, at least to my knowledge.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ice Cream Social posted:

Looks like Aeon to me. Aeon also happens to be the only arcana that has appeared with a gold card instead of a blue card, at least to my knowledge.

Oh, huh. Looks like Judgment is over with Maya and Teddie and them. Yeah, that's Aeon.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

TurnipFritter posted:

Yep, that's Reiji and Toro. Toro's Persona is never labeled or named anywhere, but P2 says that it makes him a better salesman so fans infer that it's probably the Devil arcana.

Huh. I thought I read on an old IS fansite that it's Mara. :cthulhu: :awesome:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Wow. Mitsuru is looking pretty awesome. Here's hoping we still see Yukari added to the roster. "I just want to see her again." :ohdear:

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Yeah, I'm a little perplexed by her not being announced yet. Maybe I had a strange take on things but she seemed like she had the most focus of any P3 NPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Yeah, I'm a little perplexed by her not being announced yet. Maybe I had a strange take on things but she seemed like she had the most focus of any P3 NPC.

I think that really just depends on how you play. I never finished Yukari's link, so Akihiko and Junpei felt like more important characters to me. I never finished Mitsuru either cause hers is just a pain to finish.