Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

jamal posted:

I thought the problem with those wheels was that they decided to put the spokes in compression

Its even worse than that: they designed the wheels to use both compression and tension. As the wheel spins, the spokes on the bottom were in compression and the spokes on the top were in tension. Oh and they also only did tension quality checks on the spokes, with no testing of their ability to hold a compressive load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006
And I thought the big bubble in the middle of the tread I got in the China junk tire on my Grand Prix was bad. I treated it like it was an active bomb and it was nothing like the one on that Honda.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptBubba posted:

Its even worse than that: they designed the wheels to use both compression and tension. As the wheel spins, the spokes on the bottom were in compression and the spokes on the top were in tension. Oh and they also only did tension quality checks on the spokes, with no testing of their ability to hold a compressive load.

Just looking at that makes me wonder what they could possibly be thinking. Sure, they reduce the number of spokes, but they are demonstrably bigger - seems like aerodynamically and weight wise it would be a wash.

On a similar note, how do they "tune" those solid wheels? With spokes, you tighten or loosen them to get it perfectly flat - and my guess is that any anomaly in the tire or tube that might pull it out of true gets fixed when you tune it. How do those solid wheels work?

Edit: Please don't say "magnets"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Truing involves adjustment to the spoke tension at the hub, followed soon afterwards by a letter from Mavic denying any responsibility for the resulting failure.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CaptBubba posted:

Truing involves adjustment to the spoke tension at the hub, followed soon afterwards by the last spoke you attempt to tighten snapping off just as you think you're done.
loving 30+ year old motorcycles :argh:

The nice thing about metal spokes is you can actually tune them by ear like you would a guitar. Tap spoke wrench against the spoke and try to match the tones all the way around. THEN you get out the runout gauge.
I've attempted to true rims using just the runout gauge and it takes at least twice as long and never comes out quite right.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
When I worked on the Wilson bridge project I heard some guy there was severely injured by an exploding tire on the 100 ton travelift. I heard it flipped him over and blew out an eardrum. This was before I started but the tires were about 6 feet tall and routinely had leaks from the jobsite.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

JD Brickmeister posted:

Just looking at that makes me wonder what they could possibly be thinking. Sure, they reduce the number of spokes, but they are demonstrably bigger - seems like aerodynamically and weight wise it would be a wash.

On a similar note, how do they "tune" those solid wheels? With spokes, you tighten or loosen them to get it perfectly flat - and my guess is that any anomaly in the tire or tube that might pull it out of true gets fixed when you tune it. How do those solid wheels work?

Edit: Please don't say "magnets"

I don't think you can true most (all?) solid carbon fiber wheels. They'll probably snap before they lose their shape anyway.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mercury Ballistic posted:

When I worked on the Wilson bridge project I heard some guy there was severely injured by an exploding tire on the 100 ton travelift. I heard it flipped him over and blew out an eardrum. This was before I started but the tires were about 6 feet tall and routinely had leaks from the jobsite.
I was in the navy on a carrier. They inflated the aircraft wheels in a cage because they had some insanely high pressure. One exploded when I was two offices away from the hangar bay (so that's like three bulkheads I guess) and it literally sounded like a bomb went off. I kept waiting to hear a general quarters alert because it was clear there had been a catastrophe of some sort. Nope, just a tire. A year or so later the nose wheel on an F-18 blew when it landed - I was a good 100 feet away and got pelted with all kinds of debris and the guy standing next to me caught something in his knee that sent him to medical to get it pulled out. Shut the flight deck down for 20-30 minutes while me and 300 other people went over the whole thing picking all that poo poo up.

So yeah - tires.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Longinus00 posted:

I don't think you can true most (all?) solid carbon fiber wheels. They'll probably snap before they lose their shape anyway.

You couldn't true the Spin wheels I had briefly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

JD Brickmeister posted:

So yeah - tires.

Yeah, tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQbKCd3ezrA

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I really want to punch the engineer that okayed those wheels. They were either increbily stupid or just didn't care at all.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Heard a motorcycle tire explode once from overinflation, I couldn't believe how loud it was. Sounded like a 12 gauge.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Heard a motorcycle tire explode once from overinflation, I couldn't believe how loud it was. Sounded like a 12 gauge.

I was driving back home one night on I-95, about 2 in the morning, and was passing an 18-wheeler just as it had a blowout. It sounded like someone put a 12-gauge next to my ear and fired it. Scared the poo poo out of me until I looked over at the truck and saw the trail of sparks from the shredded tire, and even then it took probably about 10 minutes for the adrenaline to metabolize.

Tires exploding following a rejected takeoff test of the A340 (basically a worst-case test: maximum TOGW, worn-out brakes, speed at V1):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzWp67PIMw

Edit: Here's a 747-8 version of the same test:

http://www.boeing.com/Features/2011/05/bca_747-8_RTO_05_04_11.html

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 19, 2011

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phanatic posted:

Tires exploding following a rejected takeoff test of the A340 (basically a worst-case test: maximum TOGW, worn-out brakes, speed at V1):

So the Boeing handled that a lot better than the Airbus. Hopefully the Airbus folks learned a few things about tires from their expensive looking test failure (presumably they did since the airplane was certified).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Locator posted:

Hopefully the Airbus folks learned a few things about tires from their expensive looking test failure (presumably they did since the airplane was certified).

The worst thing about that Airbus test was the bad communication with the fire crew. It's okay for the test aircraft to be damaged, that's why you're doing the test, to see what goes wrong if anything and then correct the design. But that poo poo could have gotten someone killed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Locator posted:

So the Boeing handled that a lot better than the Airbus. Hopefully the Airbus folks learned a few things about tires from their expensive looking test failure (presumably they did since the airplane was certified).

I read that in that test some thermal relief plugs failed to work right. They are supposed to deflate the tires in a controlled manner if the temperature gets near where the tires could burst. Obviously they didn't in that video.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Phanatic posted:

I was driving back home one night on I-95, about 2 in the morning, and was passing an 18-wheeler just as it had a blowout. It sounded like someone put a 12-gauge next to my ear and fired it. Scared the poo poo out of me until I looked over at the truck and saw the trail of sparks from the shredded tire, and even then it took probably about 10 minutes for the adrenaline to metabolize.

That's pretty awesome how the 747-8 automatically deflates the tires to prevent a blowout.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

CaptBubba posted:

I read that in that test some thermal relief plugs failed to work right. They are supposed to deflate the tires in a controlled manner if the temperature gets near where the tires could burst. Obviously they didn't in that video.

They didn't, but the tires actually performed to spec. The Goodrich-Messier *wheels* were the failure point.

It's the Michelin NZG (Near-Zero-Growth) tire that was designed for the Concorde. It's pretty impressive when the tire can withstand greater pressures than the wheel its mounted on can.

Bonus 777 test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXpjBxD0Rhg

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Just got replacing the motor mounts on my wife's 2002 Mazda Protege... Let me just say that this one was the worst offender..

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Both from the same truck:

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Shroomie posted:

Both from the same truck:

What is this and why is there hair in it?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Muffler, fiberglass.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Paul Boz_ posted:

Just got replacing the motor mounts on my wife's 2002 Mazda Protege... Let me just say that this one was the worst offender..

I did the mounts on my 99 Altima about this time last year; one looked just like that.

And now it's vibrating again. Same mount that looked like that last time is in bad shape again. Can Duralast make ANYTHING right? :argh: Though at least that mount is the easiest one to replace..

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
A cool way to fix your tire is by using duct tape
[img-I_forgot_to_take_a_picture_with_the_tape_still_on.jpg]

to cover up the wood glue

thats holding the wadded up duct tape sticking through the hole in the sidewall.

After going through all these steps you will still need to buy a new tire and let everybody at the shop laugh at you behind your back.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Paul Boz_ posted:

Ouch, I've got an 03 Mazdaspeed, I've been in that boat. Did you have fun with the rear mount?

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Fucknag posted:

Ouch, I've got an 03 Mazdaspeed, I've been in that boat. Did you have fun with the rear mount?

gently caress you. About as much fun as punching myself in the dick.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Bang Me Please posted:

A cool way to fix your tire is by using duct tape
A neighbor did this on his '89 Grand Marquis a couple years back:

It held for a long time, not just to the tire shop. Pretty sure he drove it like that for a couple weeks.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Paul Boz_ posted:

gently caress you. About as much fun as punching myself in the dick.

what did you end up using to raise the engine?

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Since we seem to be on the subject of tires.

Here's a spectacular tire blow out at 180 mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TxR7VaukwIU

From another angle with bonus 911 lift off oversteer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7KtblpNXE1w

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Its amazing he didnt put that in to the wall...

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Left Ventricle posted:

A neighbor did this on his '89 Grand Marquis a couple years back:

It held for a long time, not just to the tire shop. Pretty sure he drove it like that for a couple weeks.

Hey that's that fiberglass stranded adhesion tape. I may or may not have used that stuff to replace rotted out sections of the windscreen frame lip on my beetle.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Aurune posted:

From another angle with bonus 911 lift off oversteer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7KtblpNXE1w

Am I seeing the change in air pressure suck the windscreen out in this one?

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Heres something that just happened.

Helicopter crashes on a live camera feed.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/raw-video-helicopter-crashes-in-viaduct-4561143

It was lucky there was a newscrew recording it, no one was injured thankfully.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jammyozzy posted:

Am I seeing the change in air pressure suck the windscreen out in this one?

Yep. :eek:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wibbleman posted:

HOLY poo poo.
why is there a loose cable just flopping around near the rotors?
why is the pilot not wearing a harness or helmet?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Wibbleman posted:

This was deleted for some reason. Here's an updated link to a shorter video.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Wibbleman posted:

Anyone have any insight into what cause the large bang and the tail/rotor to fall off?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I'm not sure if he caught a cable or just tried to lift something too heavy. The entire airframe seems to have failed though, so my bet is on too heavy.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Its hard to say from just the video, it was actually zoomed in a little too much. I can vaguely see what looks like a steel cable somehow get wound up in the main rotor, which promptly rips the engine free of its mounts, which the broke the shaft that runs the tail rotor. The uncontrolled shaft probably broke the tail off. My guess is that one of the securing lines from the tower piece he just lifted came loose from the wash of the heli, and whipped into the main rotor.

Edit: One further review, you can see the unsecured cable waving around the tower before the rotor grabs it, just in the first play though, not the slow motion one.

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The pilot seemed to be looking at it (or at least aware of hazards in that direction).