Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Boat posted:

Probably because left-click is attack/mine and right-click is use/place.

It works out fine if you're holding a torch & a sword, left-click attack with sword, right-click place torch. But what if you're holding a sword and a pick? How about dirt in one hand and gravel in the other?

Or what about dual wielding picks? That would be pretty cool/useful. They could always separate the use key from the place key. So you hit enter to activate things and left click while holding a block to place it. I don't know what sort of firestorm that'd set off if they changed the key bindings though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I think it would be totally fine to just have a seperate button for blocking with a shield or whatever it is your other hand would do. I wouldn't mind having a key near wasd just to do that.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Boat posted:

How about dirt in one hand and gravel in the other?

Well, just like in skyrim, you'll dual-cast and shoot out a x2 dirtgravel block

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

If there's anybody here going to MineCon, could they please ask Notch or any of the Mojang programmers one simple question for me: Why the hell can't Redstone wires go up walls?

One of the only worthwhile things I've read on reddit is an excuse for this: it won't go up walls because it is redstone dust, and so it would fall apart.

Iacen posted:

Looking at the Minecon schedule, I hope lots of people attend Creating Compelling Videos (Jasmine ABEF). That would ideally tell people to stop making videos where you can't see poo poo, where your entire bid for fame is a stupid gimmick (Gamechap) or whatever.

That poo poo is obnoxious and I hope it stops. I remember wanting to find an efficient way to mine obsidian out of a lava lake so I could build in it or something, and I had to sift through at least 3 or 4 videos before I found one that was nothing but the guy with like some annotations over his video telling you what to do while some nice music played. His was like 2 minutes and the others were all 6 to 10 minutes, full of lovely microphones, annoying voices, terrible framerates, half-minute intros of a still image and all-around poor judgement.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 18, 2011

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!
Those are the ones that annoy me the most, where the first two to three minutes of the video is the person talking while doing absolutely nothing. You can explain your video while you do whatever it is the video is supposed to be about. Almost every single minecraft youtube video is like this.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I guess I'm curious what would be discussed in the API and modding panels as I haven't seen much chatter about how modding will be handled for some time.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

If you want a great tutorial channel that actually does interesting and clever things in Minecraft, view Ethoslab.

I thought he hadn't even started with the API and modding? Honestly if it's just bukkit that would be totally fine with me.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Devoyniche posted:

One of the only worthwhile things I've read on reddit is an excuse for this: it won't go up walls because it is redstone dust, and so it would fall apart.

I bloody said this on the previous page and I've never looked at Reddit in my life. :colbert:

Also, as I suggested, you could mix it with slime or water.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

chippy posted:

I bloody said this on the previous page and I've never looked at Reddit in my life. :colbert:

Now for the hard one: explain why ivy can't grow on two walls kitty-corner to each other.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Now for the hard one: explain why ivy can't grow on two walls kitty-corner to each other.
Because ivy is considered a 'block' and two blocks can't exist in the same space.

Oh, wait, you want a "real world" answer? Umm ... I've got nothing.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

fondue posted:

Because ivy is considered a 'block' and two blocks can't exist in the same space.

You'd think that since it's a single block touching 2 blocks that it'd just check to see which/how many of those surfaces can support ivy. Sorta the way that fences can snap-to blocks now.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Kem Rixen posted:

Those are the ones that annoy me the most, where the first two to three minutes of the video is the person talking while doing absolutely nothing. You can explain your video while you do whatever it is the video is supposed to be about. Almost every single minecraft youtube video is like this.

It's well known that people with Aspergers usually find multitasking extremely difficult.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Rack posted:

You'd think that since it's a single block touching 2 blocks that it'd just check to see which/how many of those surfaces can support ivy. Sorta the way that fences can snap-to blocks now.

Was just thinking this myself. It'd at least be easier to make that change than redstone going up blocks.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Rack posted:

Or fire, yeah.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rack posted:

The weird thing is that I'm pretty sure it can spread that way by itself; you just can't place it yourself.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The weird thing is that I'm pretty sure it can spread that way by itself; you just can't place it yourself.

That's right. You can even get it along all 4 "walls" of the cube by building a ring of blocks above it and placing ivy on an inner "wall",it will eventually spread down and around to give an air cube stack ringed with ivy.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

chippy posted:

Sorry, I was so eager to take what you said and blame it on reddit that I didn't read the rest of the page. That "why cant redstone go up walls" has been brought up countless times before though. Maybe it wasn't reddit, but here, that I read it. I havent looked at reddit in a long time, since it became nothing but circlejerking about when you bought the game. I tried to tell someone there that minecraft was never a hard game because you could always just hide in a hole in the ground, and they refused to listen because "Obviously you are a player since beds were added and don't remember 'surviving the first night'." Reddit is loving stupid.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
I stop any Minecraft video that starts with "Oh hey guys".

Frogmarched
Jul 11, 2011
Wait, isn't the game still quite unfinished? NPC's, Levelling, etc.

I mean if the game remained in like a forever beta I'd understand, but I couldn't really recommend buying minecraft as a 'finished game'.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Frogmarched posted:

Wait, isn't the game still quite unfinished? NPC's, Levelling, etc.

I mean if the game remained in like a forever beta I'd understand, but I couldn't really recommend buying minecraft as a 'finished game'.

Leveling is functional at the moment, since you can trade levels to enchant items. The only real feature that isn't complete is NPC AI so they do more than stare at you or wander off. Most of the bugs have been corrected and it even has an official "ending" now. While it's obvious Notch hasn't implemented everything he wants to, the game is at a point where it can be officially released.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are we getting a new thread tonight/tomorrow after release?

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

For those wondering how dual wielding could possibly work, it might just be something as simple as holding "Ctrl" uses the left hand (knowing Notch, he'll add an option in the settings menu to let you choose which hand is default and which is "Ctrl"-accessed). So, for example, holding "Ctrl" and scrolling selects the item to be in your left hand, holding "Ctrl" and clicking uses it, etc.

Hadlock posted:

Are we getting a new thread tonight/tomorrow after release?

It'd probably make the most sense to start a new thread after attendees' trip reports get posted rather than starting a new thread with them.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Willie Trombone posted:

For those wondering how dual wielding could possibly work, it might just be something as simple as holding "Ctrl" uses the left hand (knowing Notch, he'll add an option in the settings menu to let you choose which hand is default and which is "Ctrl"-accessed). So, for example, holding "Ctrl" and scrolling selects the item to be in your left hand, holding "Ctrl" and clicking uses it, etc.

It'd probably make the most sense to start a new thread after attendees' trip reports get posted rather than starting a new thread with them.

Well, there's the Minecon thread, so I don't see why those wouldn't just fit in there.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

chippy posted:

From a Minecraft canon point of view, surely the reason redstone can't be placed on walls is because it's a dust and needs something to sit on? Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to make it sticky by mixing it with slime or water or something.

Devoyniche posted:

Oh really

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Kassoon posted:

Oh really

Are... are you a wizard? :ohdear:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wait, so is Minecraft out yet or not? :confused:

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Stuhlmajor posted:

Well, there's the Minecon thread, so I don't see why those wouldn't just fit in there.

Well, I've read every post in this thread and haven't seen any links to a Minecon thread, and I've just looked for a link in the OP and also through the first few pages of Games and not seen it there either... so unless someone links to that thread here and forbids Minecon posts here like was done for Minecraft mods, I'm guessing that we're gonna get them whether they can fit elsewhere or not.

gravyflood posted:

Wait, so is Minecraft out yet or not? :confused:

It'll most likely be released in about three hours.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

redmercer posted:

Are... are you a wizard? :ohdear:

That's not actually redstone going up a wall, sadly, just redstone on top of a block automatically hooking up to redstone on the floor.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Minecraft: Pocket Edition was released for iPhone and iPad yesterday. Same deal as the Android version right now: $7 US, Creative only, 40-something block types, and a virtual d-pad for movement. Meh.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Kassoon posted:

Oh really

Hmmm. A fair point.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

I don't know if any of you are watching the Minecon livestream, but I'm about to close it after hearing this horrible fan music video... honestly I don't know what else I was expecting.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I just tuned in and who the hell is this moderating chick? Anyone of relevance in the minecraft world?

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009

Stuhlmajor posted:

I just tuned in and who the hell is this moderating chick? Anyone of relevance in the minecraft world?

Isnt that Minecraftchick? http://www.minecraftchick.com/

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Stuhlmajor posted:

Minecraft chick. Her claim to fame in my eyes is taking 41(?) episodes to find a single diamond.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
Oh my god. This Minecraft 360 trailer is so bad.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

JuHoZ posted:

I forgot about Minecraft for the 360. Are they still going ahead with Kinect support for some stupid loving reason?

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
What the hell. Im using http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1212578p1.html as a stream from there but the video just became really fast. What gives :(

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Vertigus posted:

I forgot about Minecraft for the 360. Are they still going ahead with Kinect support for some stupid loving reason?

You don't want to scan your real, actual dick into Minecraft blocks?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

JuHoZ posted:

My stream shat itself halfway through, but the intro was awkward enough following the "Hey guys, IT'S HERE!", so I don't feel like I've missed to much.

Also: 50 minutes till the release, do I have that figured out correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

JuHoZ posted:

What the hell. Im using http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1212578p1.html as a stream from there but the video just became really fast. What gives :(

Up the quality to 720+.