Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marlowe can you go
Oct 13, 2011
That's what I suspected, thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
I just filtered a bunch of booze-steeped cacao nibs out of a vodka infusion - any ideas for something to make with them? Icecream, maybe?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

True, but you are at a very high level of cooking skills... when you've got a full quiver of go-to recipes, it's easy to make meals out of the best available. Most cooks need a little more planning then that.
Yeah, but there isn't just a whole hell of a lot of improv needed if you decide to buy a ny strip instead of a ribeye, or if the green beans look good today instead of the asparagus.

And really there's a lot of wiggle-room even if you're talking about deciding whether you want to get a steak or, I dunno, pork chops or something. I mean I do tend to keep in mind things like flavour pairings when I'm grocery shopping, but if you just stick to a basic meat protein, a starch, and some vegetables it's pretty tough to put together a bunch of ingredients that are inedible or wildly unpalatable together.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

So I've heard conflicting opinions about how to prepare a Turkey for Thanksgiving. On one hand I have a group of people saying that cooking it at 350F will choke the moisture out of it and you'll be gagging on dry bird. There are others who say a 24 brine soak will cure this.

Then I have another group who are adamant about a brine but then slow roasting the turkey for a really long time in the oven at around 250F.

In the end, do any goons have a really perfected technique to make the turkey moist and delicious? I don't mind long prep times or having to cook the thing for fifteen hours. The only things I'd want to avoid are an abundance of herbs, different flavorings, and frying the bird. Just a simply, moist and delicious meal.

Help?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It sounds like they all might be right.

Turkey does have a tendency to turn dry when cooked, it's huge and round, and the top (usually the breast) will get dryer than other parts of the bird because #1 it's white meat and #2 it's exposed to more heat than the rest of the turkey.

Brining introduces salt into the meat, which holds onto the water and keeps it from evaporating off as quickly.

One extra thing you can do is put the turkey in an oven bag, this is a plastic bag that can withstand up to 400° and keeps all the moisture from escaping.

As for temps, I dunno, I'd just do 350 because 250 will probably take forever.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

It sounds like they all might be right.

Turkey does have a tendency to turn dry when cooked, it's huge and round, and the top (usually the breast) will get dryer than other parts of the bird because #1 it's white meat and #2 it's exposed to more heat than the rest of the turkey.

Brining introduces salt into the meat, which holds onto the water and keeps it from evaporating off as quickly.

One extra thing you can do is put the turkey in an oven bag, this is a plastic bag that can withstand up to 400° and keeps all the moisture from escaping.

As for temps, I dunno, I'd just do 350 because 250 will probably take forever.

Never thought about using an oven bag. Mostly because I've never actually used one. It doesn't mess with the cooking time and style, does it? I've heard that you have to add flour into the bag before you add the food in order to prevent bursting? Maybe I heard wrong. I'd only be afraid of it affecting the meal in some way. If not, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Sounds like with an oven bag I can go ahead and safely do 350F with a previous 24h brine!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, a tablespoon of flour

Dunno how it affects cooking time, I just followed the recommended cooking time on the bag

http://www.reynoldsovenbags.com/turkey-central.aspx

Hmm, I guess they also recommend having a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temp is correct

edit: VVVVV Yes, you won't get a crispy skin but it wasn't gross or soggy and the bag didn't melt or anything like that, what did you do!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 18, 2011

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

If you use an oven bag the skin will be gross and soggy instead of nice and crispy, and you won't have a fond to make gravy, and the bag will melt onto the pan and split and spill juice everywhere and it's a horrible runny mess..

I just rub the turkey all over with butter, get it all in under the skin of the breast as well, like 2 sticks of it. Then drape some bacon strips over the breast to cover it. This helps keep the breast from overcooking, and also bastes the turkey for you. Remove these about 30 minutes before the bird is done. Cook it at about 350 until it's done (depends on the weight, use a thermometer). This always works fantastically for me, and there's no burning yourself on the oven over fiddly basting (because you've already been into the wine).

If you like you can make a compound butter, or add herbs or salt and pepper.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
I was thinking about picking up an electric knife for my turkey. Any sub-$20 recommendations? Most of the ones on amazon for less than $20 have a lot of poor reviews, and even the more expensive ones aren't stellar. I was thinking just spending $10 on a cheap Black and Decker.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I always brine my turkey and then cook it upside down (breast side down) in one of those bags. It comes out great every year. Good times.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Also a major mistake people make is to trust the pop-up buttons turkeys often come with in them. They're a horrible way to discern if the food is done.

Also stuff butter under the skin over the breast with your herbs of choice. good times.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OdinsBeard posted:

I was thinking about picking up an electric knife for my turkey. Any sub-$20 recommendations? Most of the ones on amazon for less than $20 have a lot of poor reviews, and even the more expensive ones aren't stellar. I was thinking just spending $10 on a cheap Black and Decker.

:catstare: No don't. Just buy a $10 victorinoix slicer and cut turkey like a real person instead of shredding through it with an electric one.

Edit: so I had this one in mind, but apparently the prize went up or amazon is overcharging. I got mine for $10 at my restaurant store in town.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 18, 2011

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Lyssavirus posted:

Also a major mistake people make is to trust the pop-up buttons turkeys often come with in them. They're a horrible way to discern if the food is done.

Also stuff butter under the skin over the breast with your herbs of choice. good times.

Yes, the button pop up thermos are pretty bad. Use a good digital probe thermometer like this. You don't need an 80 dollar thermapen, but these thin probe thermos are fast as you would ever really need them to be and can be used year round on any meats and breads that you make. The cheap analog dial thermometers are pretty horrible too.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
Hey guys, I've got a bunch of brussels sprouts. I'm not the world's biggest fan of them, but I'm trying to like them. So far I've done a few standard takes - roasted with a vinegar drizzle, baked au gratin, stir fried. Anything else interesting I can do that doesn't involve a lot of butterfat?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Shred finely and mix with a mustardy viniagrette and let chill in the fridge for a couple hours. A bit of radish and carrot and red onion is nice in it too.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Drink and Fight posted:

I just rub the turkey all over with butter, get it all in under the skin of the breast as well, like 2 sticks of it. Then drape some bacon strips over the breast to cover it. This helps keep the breast from overcooking, and also bastes the turkey for you.

:fap: this sounds delicious.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Shred finely and mix with a mustardy viniagrette and let chill in the fridge for a couple hours. A bit of radish and carrot and red onion is nice in it too.

Yes this is the new hotness -- they are little-rear end cabbages so the mustardy/appley/sagey/nutty slaw is pretty awesome.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Brussels sprouts are awesome. I'm a fan of the standard ""slice in half, fry to a char in bacon grease" method, but I'm sure other stuff is good too.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Anyone else, I would be like "you must have always had overcooked brussels sprouts if you don't like them," but you're kiteless, I'm sure you can properly cook a brussels sprout. I've actually only ever done em the way kenning posted, and I can't bring myself to try anything else yet because I LOVE em that way so much.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
this is one of my favorite things:
slice sprouts in half lengthwise so the foot holds it together, and put facedown one layer in a hot oiled pan until they start to char, deglaze with red wine and saute until the wine is reduced and the sprouts are al dente (you can cover to steam a little or add more wine if it looks like they wont be done) mount sauce with butter if desired and finish with a finely grated hard salty cheese.

variations: use duck fat, or add in sliced apples and/or duck confit, or sub balsamic for the wine

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

kiteless posted:

Hey guys, I've got a bunch of brussels sprouts. I'm not the world's biggest fan of them, but I'm trying to like them. So far I've done a few standard takes - roasted with a vinegar drizzle, baked au gratin, stir fried. Anything else interesting I can do that doesn't involve a lot of butterfat?
For sprouts I really agree with Kenning that a bacon flavor enhances them. My normal approach is to top and tail them and par boil (or steam if you can) before stir frying with diced prosciutto, at this stage they are good to eat but if you want to make them really rich turn down the heat and some blue cheese and cream and stir till the cream begins to thicken, and season to taste.

Sailor-Arrakis posted:

So I've heard conflicting opinions about how to prepare a Turkey for Thanksgiving. On one hand I have a group of people saying that cooking it at 350F will choke the moisture out of it and you'll be gagging on dry bird. There are others who say a 24 brine soak will cure this.

Then I have another group who are adamant about a brine but then slow roasting the turkey for a really long time in the oven at around 250F.

In the end, do any goons have a really perfected technique to make the turkey moist and delicious? I don't mind long prep times or having to cook the thing for fifteen hours. The only things I'd want to avoid are an abundance of herbs, different flavorings, and frying the bird. Just a simply, moist and delicious meal.

Help?

For a bit of a slightly different way of cooking you could always bake it in a salt crust dough. I have done this before with lamb and chicken and it gives a great result. The best moment is opening the cooked dough parcel in the centre of the table to reveal the perfectly cooked turkey. I have found this version for a turkey: http://www.recipelink.com/mf/21/4371

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
My oven is off being repaired for 2 weeks, and I have some haddock fillet I need to cook. Problem is, I only know how to cook fish in the oven...

I kind of have a plan, though I have no idea if this is right:

1) Put fillet in a pan with milk, a chunk of onion, a bay leaf and salt and pepper
2) Simmer for a bit (10 minutes? I have no idea. Do I need to turn it? Should I keep the pan covered?)
3) Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a separate pan, mix in a couple of table spoons of flour, then slowly add the milk from the fish to make a white sauce, which I simmer for a few minutes, then add fresh parsley.

Is this a good idea? I always feel a bit lost trying to cook fish. The haddock fillet still has the skin on one side, I don't know if this changes anything.

Also, is there anything I can add to put in some extra flavor? I'm worried it'll taste a bit bland (I know I can add dill, but I can't stand the stuff).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Oil the skin, and plonk into a hot dry pan. Leave until the skin goes crispy. About five minutes is usually fine in my experience, but it's been a while, so take that with a pinch of salt. Serve on top of something.

Possibly over a chorizo and bean stew. Or mashed potato with plenty of cream, some peas and your parsley sauce. Or whatever you fancy.

If your heart is really set on poaching it, remove the skin first.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I finally got my new wall ovens installed (that's a whole E/N thread in itself), and I cooked in one of them last night for the first time.

The ovens that were in place before were original to the house, which was built in 1971. GE built good stuff back in the day, but the heating time was taking longer and longer. It took an hour to get to 500 a couple of weeks ago - I would often call my husband before I even got to the grocery store and have him turn it on, so that by the time my shopping was done and I got home, it would be hot.

0 to 350 in four and a half minutes. It was amazing.

I roasted a whole chicken, with a bulb of garlic in the cavity and a light brushing of sesame oil on the skin. 15 minutes before the chicken was done I split and cleaned some delicata squashes and put butter, salt, and brown sugar in them. Barely lost any temperature when I opened the door to add them in. It was beautiful. I don't normally eat the skin on chicken, but I couldn't resist this stuff. No dry spots in the bird.

I was really worried about getting these in before Thanksgiving, as I have 15 people to feed and I didn't want to spend hours waiting for my oven to heat up.

I didn't think it was possible to be in love with an appliance, but it may well be...

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

RazorBunny posted:

I don't normally eat the skin on chicken,

You are an awful heathen, repent and eat all the chicken skins.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I use cast iron pots and pans for most of my cooking. I notice that I can't put them on my counter/shelves, or I get rust spots on the counter that I can't get off, and of course the oil. I've been using a mat that's meant for use under a drying rack for one, and a cleaning/drying cloth on top of a cutting board and tucked in for the other. The first one slides around, the second works rather well. What do y'all use? Any suggestions? I'm thinking about buying another cutting board and cloth.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Oil the skin, and plonk into a hot dry pan. Leave until the skin goes crispy. About five minutes is usually fine in my experience, but it's been a while, so take that with a pinch of salt. Serve on top of something.

Possibly over a chorizo and bean stew. Or mashed potato with plenty of cream, some peas and your parsley sauce. Or whatever you fancy.

Don't use a cast iron pan, though, as it will make everything taste/smell like fish for a while. (unless you have a cast iron pan designated for fish)

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

Dominoes posted:

I use cast iron pots and pans for most of my cooking. I notice that I can't put them on my counter/shelves, or I get rust spots on the counter that I can't get off, and of course the oil. I've been using a mat that's meant for use under a drying rack for one, and a cleaning/drying cloth on top of a cutting board and tucked in for the other. The first one slides around, the second works rather well. What do y'all use? Any suggestions? I'm thinking about buying another cutting board and cloth.

Would something like this work: http://www.amazon.com/TurboIon-Croc-Silicone-Proof-Curling/dp/B002YMKKSO/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1321631895&sr=1-1-catcorr

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Scientastic posted:

All of these are great, but if you really want to poach, remove the skin, make a court bouillon and turn these into paupiettes! Essentially, roll them up (fill them if you want), tie them if you need to, and then poach away!

Fish paupiettes look pretty nice, and give you a lot of options regarding various suaces, etc. I would do like a white wine and bechamel, with perhaps some hard salty cheese.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to finally contribute to Thanksgiving this year and I want to try Baked Alaska. I've been searching google for recipes but naturally everything seems to vary. I was wondering if any goons here have made it with good results and if they wouldn't mind sharing their recipe and any tips and tricks with me. I have platinum if they would prefer to discuss in private too.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Transmogrifier posted:

I'm going to finally contribute to Thanksgiving this year and I want to try Baked Alaska. I've been searching google for recipes but naturally everything seems to vary. I was wondering if any goons here have made it with good results and if they wouldn't mind sharing their recipe and any tips and tricks with me. I have platinum if they would prefer to discuss in private too.

I recently made this for a friend's birthday and it was pretty well-received.

I made a very dense brownie for the base (used this recipe - http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/01/best-cocoa-brownies/ but probably most any would do) layered chocolate and vanilla ice cream on it, and then made meringue from the following recipe -

6.5 oz of sugar
0.5 cups water
3 egg whites
a few drops of lemon juice

First separate the egg whites into the bowl, squeeze a few drops of lemon juice in, and start your mixer on low (If you don't have a stand mixer this is going to be a huge pain in the rear end). put the sugar and water over medium heat until it's coloring slightly and forming large bubbles (most of the water should be evaporated so it's fairly thick at this point.) Pop the mixer up to medium/high, and pour in the sugar-syrup in a thin, continuous stream. Mixer up to highest setting, and keep it going till it's shiny, solid, and forming peaks.

Then cover the ice cream and cake with meringue using a spatula, and stick it in the freezer till you're ready to serve.

The usual thing to do right before serving is to brown it with a culinary torch. I poured flaming alcohol over it instead, which was a lot visually cooler but also resulted in some scorched parts because it was really difficult to actually extinguish it before it had burned out (I think I probably used a little too much alcohol - I used about a cup, a half cup might have worked out better).

As long as you get the meringue right you can use just about any dense cake and ice cream combination for the interior you think would go well. When you caramelize the meringue it tastes a lot like roast marshmallow, so I think next time I do this I'm going to make layers of graham cracker crumb and chocolate ganache with ice cream, so it has kind of a smore-y effect.

Also stick the whole cake-and-ice-cream assemblage in the freezer while you're making the meringue, so it's solid while you're trying to cover it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

I'm not really sure what I want, so I'll try this. Thanks!

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

fatherdog posted:

Baked Alaska help

Thank you very much, fatherdog. I live about forty-five minutes from my parents' and with the (very small) kitchen going to be so busy on Thanksgiving, could I do the cake/ice cream bit the day before and the meringue on Thursday or should I do it all at once you think? I know I'm supposed to brown the meringue right before serving, so could that wait until Thanksgiving if I were to make it all the day before? :ohdear: Sorry for the questions and if they don't make sense. I don't want to mess this up too badly.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Was just looking at the tripe in the dinner thread.

All I know is that tripe is cow stomach... but which stomach? All of them? I know there are different kinds of tripe, but I'm most familiar with the honeycomb style.

EDIT: Duh, that was easy to look up.

Wikipedia posted:

Beef tripe

Beef tripe is usually made from only the first three chambers of a cow's stomach: the rumen (blanket/flat/smooth tripe), the reticulum (honeycomb and pocket tripe), and the omasum (book/bible/leaf tripe). Abomasum (reed) tripe is seen much less frequently, owing to its glandular tissue content.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 18, 2011

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Enentol posted:

I would do like a white wine and bechamel, with perhaps some hard salty cheese.

:stare:

I was going to say a nice beurre blanc..

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

How long will whipped cream made by whipping with a mixer stay stable? I'd like to put it on a pie a day before serving. (Or at least a few hours if it has to be that way)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Enentol posted:

All of these are great, but if you really want to poach, remove the skin, make a court bouillon and turn these into paupiettes! Essentially, roll them up (fill them if you want), tie them if you need to, and then poach away!

Fish paupiettes look pretty nice, and give you a lot of options regarding various suaces, etc. I would do like a white wine and bechamel, with perhaps some hard salty cheese.

Sorry, didn't see your post at first. Maybe I'll try this too, assuming I can figure out what all the words mean :)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gerblyn posted:

I'm not really sure what I want, so I'll try this. Thanks!

Let us know how it goes, post pictures. A good pan-fried fillet of fish is a beautiful sight to behold.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

How long will whipped cream made by whipping with a mixer stay stable? I'd like to put it on a pie a day before serving. (Or at least a few hours if it has to be that way)

It will only be at its best for 30 minutes or an hour before it needs a good stirring at the very least. You can stabilize it will a little bit of gelatin (various recipes abound on the net) if you want to make it ahead of time. But be warned, too much gelatin will have a very unpleasant effect on the texture of it.

Your easiest option is to get a whipped cream dispenser (iSi and the like). Then you can mix it in the can ahead of time and dispense a la minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Your easiest option is to get a whipped cream dispenser (iSi and the like). Then you can mix it in the can ahead of time and dispense a la minute.

Isn't the easiest option to overwhip it (slightly)? I've overwhipped cream accidentally but stopped before it was butter, and it was OK...