Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

spe posted:

Sorry mate, none of them are doing it for me, its a bit too punk. My favourite black metal tune so far is probably that song dunlop linked, "Jesus' Tod (cos he's got no friends)". I listened to tons of punk for years and those tunes sound like proper bog standard punk tunes with black metal screeching on top, I like it a bit faster and I especially like how repetitive and simplistic that burzum song is.

Repetition is probably the most brutal technique in music, play the most technical & heavy thing in the world and it still won't hold a candle to the same riff being played for 8 minutes solid.

Dunno what brought that up, but its probably true!

Here's some more cool ugly poo poo

Urfaust - Vom Gesicht und Rätsel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbfcHoZvF8U
Peste Noire - La Mesniee Mordrissoire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d48amP2HONE
Katharsis - Eden Belovv http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBPzmM9zluk
Deströyer 666 - A Breed Apart http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3wj6Ao-LmM
Abruptum - Calibus Frontem Tumeo Acidus Abcessus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfTh_7j0xlw
Aura Noir - Hades Rise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZUfHLiI5DU
Cultes de Ghoules - Scholomance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj0Z_FT_mNY
Forest - By the Roar of Hammers Call http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA-R-hSnNDI
VON - Christ Fire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5HY0Q680vs
Vlad Tepes - In Holocaust to the Natural Darkness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiRPc254dGE
Bone Awl - Without Hate We Have Nothing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKdiTzPCtdI
Spear of Longinus - Neutron Hammer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvxHZ9_nXCI
Grand Belial's Key - Vultures of Misfortune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTOUJhVvzFQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
That first Negative Plane album is so loving great. I'm not really involved in the "metal scene" any more and don't have any particular desire to find good new metal, so I have pretty ridiculously exacting standards in terms of what I'll listen to. I probably downloaded that record a couple of years ago, but only listened to it recently. It totally took me by surprise, especially given, as far as I can tell from the periphery, their status as a scene-trendy band akin to Drudkh, Deathspell Omega and Blut Aus Nord circa 2004 (all of whom have definitely lost varying degrees of lustre since the novelty has worn off). Total old-school madness. Apparently the new one sucks? I hear stuff about "prog influences" which definitely sets alarm bells ringing.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 29, 2011

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
No. The new one is probably the album of the year so far. Although I may be slightly biased in that department having seen them live 3x over the summer.

[edit] Annnnd Gospel of the Horns will be recording something fairly soon! I think the mayans might have been right, this is a sign of the end times if there ever was one.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 29, 2011

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

spe posted:

Sorry mate, none of them are doing it for me, its a bit too punk. My favourite black metal tune so far is probably that song dunlop linked, "Jesus' Tod (cos he's got no friends)". I listened to tons of punk for years and those tunes sound like proper bog standard punk tunes with black metal screeching on top, I like it a bit faster and I especially like how repetitive and simplistic that burzum song is.

Repetition is probably the most brutal technique in music, play the most technical & heavy thing in the world and it still won't hold a candle to the same riff being played for 8 minutes solid.

Dunno what brought that up, but its probably true!

Try Into Oblivion's Album, Creation Of A Monolith or Midnight Odyssey's Funerals From The Astral Sphere. The Midnight Odyssey album is the best that will be released this year (unless the new Demoncy album actually surfaces) and is one of the very few bands that carry on the Burzum style of Black Metal where you don't end up wondering why you just didn't listen to Burzum in the first place.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Went to see a few bands last night. Fen and Primitive Graven Image were great as ever (although we had to run before the end of Fen's set to catch the last tube home :().

Discovery of the night was Rosicrucian (UK). Very Fen-influenced, and I know there are a few Fen fans lurking around this thread. Here's a video of them performing live (surprisingly good quality).

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
What's everyone's opinion on the last Sargeist record, "Let the Devil In"? One of the best black metal albums of recent times for me.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

spe posted:

Trelldom ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bjW0QoFB1c

Marblebog ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP_ZEAtWRTE

Arckanum ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StNX3PwktJA

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 5, 2011

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I think Mammal by Altar of Plagues is definitely going to be on my top 10 of the year. That's overall, not just metal or anything.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Funeral Mist posted:

What's everyone's opinion on the last Sargeist record, "Let the Devil In"? One of the best black metal albums of recent times for me.

I thought it was absolutely fantastic, that album stayed in my rotation for almost a year. They and Horna are both playing at MDF this year, I'm really excited to see them.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Hm, Watain any good live?

Missed out on WITTR yesterday but Watain is playing tonight, feel like I should go downtown and try to snag a ticket.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Hm, Watain any good live?

Missed out on WITTR yesterday but Watain is playing tonight, feel like I should go downtown and try to snag a ticket.

Watain live is an experience.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

QPZIL posted:

I'm still trying to get the stench of death out of my hoodie from last year's show.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

fozzie dunlop posted:

I'm still trying to get the stench of death out of my hoodie from last year's show.

I missed their last tour, and have never seen them :(

But I've heard stories.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Didn't catch this before I left but, yup, they were great. No blood or poo poo like that but plenty of flames and banging on a huge drum with bones. Very atmospheric.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

No blood or poo poo like that

What? :(

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

QPZIL posted:

What? :(

BYOB

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
New Leviathan is good

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
How much of a joke is "The True" Mayhem these days? They're coming next week, and I might go just for novelty sake.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

DEAR RICHARD posted:

How much of a joke is "The True" Mayhem these days? They're coming next week, and I might go just for novelty sake.

We went to see them last December (mainly because Anaal Nathrakh were supporting). AN had to cancel because of snow, so we waited for a couple of hours for Mayhem. Then, when they finally came on, we stayed for three songs before leaving, it was that bad. They'd had all the time in the world to do a sound check, so the appalling mix was unforgivable. Stage presence was zero, the guitars were nearly inaudible... it was dreadful all round, and a terrible waste of money.

So I suppose I'm saying, er, don't bother. :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I love Attila as a vocalist, but when the rest of the band is just standing there playing their instruments looking bored, you NEED to be a better frontman. His whole "evil priest" or whatever getup is cool, but he just kind of meanders around the stage looking bored, kind of playing with his rubber knife or plastic skull sometimes.

Ugh it actually made me MAD that a band like Mayhem could be THAT boring on stage. I stayed to hear Freezing Moon and My Death and left.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Mayhem are terrible. I have turned down at least four opportunities to see them for nothing in the past few years. I've been subjected to them at festivals where they were "only going to play old songs" and still managed to ruin their own material. You can stand all night hoping for freezing moon or funeral fog, and if you're lucky enough that they play them, you're probably going to be in for the treat of seeing them gently caress the opening riffs up.

Save your money for a band that deserves it.

[edit] Was listening to War earlier (the polish and best one), and was reminded how great they were - Everyone else should too.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 10, 2011

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
Could you guys recommend me something that sounds like early Marduk?

You know, like the stuff in the Those of the Unlight and Opus Nocturne era, when they had Af Grafv on vocals and Dan Swanö producing them. They have quickly grown to be some of my favorite BM albums and I still can't quite find something that sounds like them.

Oh, and about Mayhem, I saw them earlier this year, with Taake. Went only because they were playing literally 5 blocks away from my apartment. Bored me to tears, but they did get a laugh out of me when Attila sang into the cross he was holding instead of the mic. :downs: Also, his voice couldn't keep his BM shrieks for the whole gig and after a while he started singing in a weird cleaner shouting voice instead.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Welsh BM - Order of Tepes
Scottish BM - Nexion

Arthur Bowlsworth fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 12, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Weaponized Cum posted:

New Leviathan is good

Just listened to it. God drat Wrest is pissed off about something :ohdear:

(just kidding, it's his dumb ex-wife or ex-girlfriend or whatever)

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Could you guys recommend me something that sounds like early Marduk?

You know, like the stuff in the Those of the Unlight and Opus Nocturne era, when they had Af Grafv on vocals and Dan Swanö producing them. They have quickly grown to be some of my favorite BM albums and I still can't quite find something that sounds like them.

Honestly, the one thing that's always struck me about that stuff (especially those of the Unlight) is that you can actually, you know, hear the loving bass. They've still got massive death metal influences there too, but Swano's raw, trebly production masks them in a way. Other than that, it's just what's now seen as traditional black metal.

I'd recommend fellow swedes the massively underrated Svartsyn, Dawn's first album shares the death/black atmosphere, but is slightly more melodic. Speaking of melodic, early Mork Gryning. In all honesty Arckanum from the early 90s will probably do the job, as will most swedish releases during the early 90s.

I'd also say check out Nastrond, if for no other reason that they rule, but they sound like no others. I'm also going to hold back vomit and suggest that Dark Funeral's very first release (the self titled EP) may be worth tracking down, produced by Swano it's pretty similar in sound.

Try Lja from norway too, early Ulver Nattens-madrigal like riffs with a raw production and treble out the rear end.

And gently caress it, listen to Inquisition, because everyone should. Same goes for Nox Intempesta.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 11, 2011

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

QPZIL posted:

Just listened to it. God drat Wrest is pissed off about something :ohdear:

(just kidding, it's his dumb ex-wife or ex-girlfriend or whatever)

He should stick something in that bitch imo

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Weaponized Cum posted:

He should stick something in that bitch imo

wait a minute.....

hey guys, remember when helheim fuckin ruled?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Figured I'd just drop a few bands that I've been listening to lately and which people might not know about.

Bewitched is a Chilean black metal band with some very strong Mercyful Fate influence. Not to be confused with the swedish black metal rockers also called Bewitched.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWKxi_EvsQA

Then there's Crucifier who I guess is notable for being an actual good US black metal band. They've been around forever and somehow only managed a single full length album although that could partly be due to Cazz Grant spending the time with his main band Grand Belial's Key until they parted company.
Anyway, they're a more death'y black metal band but they're really good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuOwgsBLbNE

The last one for this time is a dutch band called Unlord. They aren't really anything special, they're just really really good at playing very fast black metal and somehow still having everything audible in the mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TUxnopz5uw

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
I need some new material, can someone suggest some Darkthule / Hate Forest type projects to check out ? Frostkreig didn't really do it for me.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Can someone help me find a BM band that was, I'm pretty sure, posted in this thread a while back? I remember they were Canadian and focused on wolf-related themes. I specifically recall a music video with the band members wearing wolf pelts, with someone in the comments bitching them out for supporting wolf murder, followed by an explanation from the band that they borrowed the skins from a museum.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
Been listening to Goatmoon a lot recently...they have a new album out this year that's really loving good called Varjot. They're from Finland and have some definite finnish folk influences in their music. Check out Finnish Steel Storm and Varjot for a taste of them!

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Cobweb Heart posted:

Can someone help me find a BM band that was, I'm pretty sure, posted in this thread a while back? I remember they were Canadian and focused on wolf-related themes. I specifically recall a music video with the band members wearing wolf pelts, with someone in the comments bitching them out for supporting wolf murder, followed by an explanation from the band that they borrowed the skins from a museum.

Wolven Ancestry?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

ElectricWizard posted:

Wolven Ancestry?

You are a god. Thank you!

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Well I thought I heard it all, and I just discovered there is a genre called Christian Funeral Doom Metal

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
If you can't beat em, co-opt em!

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Gr31lly posted:

Honestly, the one thing that's always struck me about that stuff (especially those of the Unlight) is that you can actually, you know, hear the loving bass. They've still got massive death metal influences there too, but Swano's raw, trebly production masks them in a way. Other than that, it's just what's now seen as traditional black metal.

I'd recommend fellow swedes the massively underrated Svartsyn, Dawn's first album shares the death/black atmosphere, but is slightly more melodic. Speaking of melodic, early Mork Gryning. In all honesty Arckanum from the early 90s will probably do the job, as will most swedish releases during the early 90s.

I'd also say check out Nastrond, if for no other reason that they rule, but they sound like no others. I'm also going to hold back vomit and suggest that Dark Funeral's very first release (the self titled EP) may be worth tracking down, produced by Swano it's pretty similar in sound.

Try Lja from norway too, early Ulver Nattens-madrigal like riffs with a raw production and treble out the rear end.

And gently caress it, listen to Inquisition, because everyone should. Same goes for Nox Intempesta.

I know it's a little late, but I wanted to thank you for the recommendations. You nailed it. So far, I'm really enjoying Mork Gryning and Svartsyn.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Shockingly enough, that Burzum greatest hits album is not very good or interesting! With the modern Burzum production values, all the soul and improvisational feeling is stripped away, which really does a number on a lot of the songs. Spell Of Destruction sounds like a crushing Doom Metal song, but not much else is interesting here. The standout songs are the interlude noise tracks. Varg has a knack for that kind of composing and I wish he'd explore that further.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power

MrBling posted:

Then there's Crucifier who I guess is notable for being an actual good US black metal band. They've been around forever and somehow only managed a single full length album although that could partly be due to Cazz Grant spending the time with his main band Grand Belial's Key until they parted company.
Anyway, they're a more death'y black metal band but they're really good.

I believe that Crucifer is starting Rehearsals to play some shows in 2012.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Fans of Agalloch/WITTR/Nechochwen/Petrychor etc should check out Waldgeflüster from Germany. Their ambient, neo-folky bits sound like Ildjarn, which is always a good thing.

Trailer for their new album, Femundsmarka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Fans of Agalloch/WITTR/Nechochwen/Petrychor etc should check out Waldgeflüster from Germany. Their ambient, neo-folky bits sound like Ildjarn, which is always a good thing.

Trailer for their new album, Femundsmarka.

Not fans of any of what you mentioned but I like the sound of this.