Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

The Triumphant posted:

That's literally the experience that made me into a religious bourbon drinker. Hangin with my roommate who'd been watching a lot of Mad Men adn he asked if I knew how to make an Old Fashioned. I said I'd do my best and six months later we've got five empty Maker's bottles around the apartment.

Don Draper uses Old Overholt Rye (made by Jim Beam I think)

There are shitloads of Rye's out there now....they are drier and spicier but perfect for manhattan's or sazerac's.

You should be able to at least find the Bulleitt Rye (even their regular bottling has a high percentage of rye), and Russel's Reserve.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Keyser S0ze posted:

Don Draper uses Old Overholt Rye (made by Jim Beam I think)

There are shitloads of Rye's out there now....they are drier and spicier but perfect for manhattan's or sazerac's.

You should be able to at least find the Bulleitt Rye (even their regular bottling has a high percentage of rye), and Russel's Reserve.

As a Mad Men aficionado , I must interject. While Joan tells Peggy, "Mr. Draper Don drinks 'rye,'" this is only partially true -- Don almost always pours himself Canadian Club.

As for his preference in Old Fashioned cocktails, he usually orders them in bars and restaurants. It's an assumption, but the standard spirit in the drink is bourbon, so that's probably what he gets. He uses Old Overholt at Roger's Kentucky Derby party, but that's only because everyone has drunk all the bourbon.

Here's a good article on the brands and spirits used in Mad Men. I think the show has done a lot to revive interest in cocktails and the hard stuff, and it's cool the series pays so much attention to detail.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

DasNeonLicht posted:

He uses Old Overholt at Roger's Kentucky Derby party, but that's only because everyone has drunk all the bourbon.

For sure there, as it was memorable since he jumps over the bar and mixes them up for himself and Hilton. I could have sworn I've seen some OO in his and/or Roger's office at some point and ordered it in LA. I'm probably wrong.

But yeah, for the most part he's hitting the bottle of CC in his office.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.
I managed to convince one of the bartenders at Anvil of Houston, TX to provide me with their recipe for the Golden Gate Swizzle which is one of my favorite drinks:

1.5oz Fernet Branca
0.75oz Orgeat
1oz Lemon Juice
2 Barspoons JDT Falernum
6 Dashes Angostura Orange
4 Dashes Angostura

Combine and swizzle w/ crushed ice in Collins glass.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am in Chicago for work and the hotel I am staying in has a very decent cocktail bar.

I am currently drinking a "Tart and Smokey", which is mescal, sambuca, maraschino liquor, and grapefruit juice.

It is really really good, so much more so the I expected. They have about 6 other house cocktails and I fear my per diem will be spent on trying them all.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Wompa164 posted:

I managed to convince one of the bartenders at Anvil of Houston, TX to provide me with their recipe for the Golden Gate Swizzle which is one of my favorite drinks:

1.5oz Fernet Branca
0.75oz Orgeat
1oz Lemon Juice
2 Barspoons JDT Falernum
6 Dashes Angostura Orange
4 Dashes Angostura

Combine and swizzle w/ crushed ice in Collins glass.

Totally making this as a hangover remedy once I get to work.

Also, Canadian whiskey, specifically Canadian Club, has a high proportion of rye in the mash bill because it grows well in the frigid north. It was also very popular midcentury owing to the fact that it was in production during prohibition.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Let's talk cool cocktail bars...

For people in SE MI:

https://www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany The Oakland Art Novelty Co., Ferndale

They're my favorite cocktail bar I've ever been to. Their menu changes about once a week it seems, and the bartenders are all very knowledgeable and very cool. The decor is straight out of the 1930s(they have this crazy giant chandelier and old school couches and leather chairs, very neat) and the employees all wear kind of period-inspired clothing.

Drinks are all $9 -- with the exception of the ultra-high shelf cocktails -- and made, of course, with high quality ingredients. They make their own ginger beer for use in Dark & Stormys, make some of their own bitters, and marinate their own maraschino cherries. Great place. Oh, and they do that thing where they squeeze the lemon peel and light the oils over your drink. How cool is that poo poo?

They just started serving beer and wine. They actually had a very good cocktail made with New Holland Dragon Milk beer, chicory-infused bitters, and... I forgot. Some dark brown booze of some sort(I THINK it was bourbon...), and they put an egg-white foam on top of it that they drizzled the chicory bitters on. So good.

http://www.alleybarannarbor.com/ The Alley Bar, Ann Arbor

I've only been here once but it was good. Small place, had kind of a dive-bar atmosphere to it, lots of hipsters and lesbians. Drinks were pretty good but I hosed up and ordered a Sazerac for my second drink, not knowing it had absinthe in it(which I hate). Bleh. The rye Manhattan I had was very good, though.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 12, 2011

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Wompa164 posted:

Golden Gate Swizzle

Just made this a little while ago, thanks so much for posting it.

I do not like Fernet that much. While I don't think I will ever get into drinking it straight, I've been looking for drinks that use it. This is the first one I've enjoyed, and I will be making it again in the future.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.

Klauser posted:

Just made this a little while ago, thanks so much for posting it.

I do not like Fernet that much. While I don't think I will ever get into drinking it straight, I've been looking for drinks that use it. This is the first one I've enjoyed, and I will be making it again in the future.

You're welcome, just trying to share the wealth!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Amazon is having some sales on kitchen schtuff. One of the things that piqued my interest were these large ice cube trays:

http://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-80-5521-Jumbo-Size-Silicone-Ice-Cube/dp/B00395FHRO/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1321292449&sr=1-7

I've been looking to get larger cubes for my cocktails, but how necessary are they? Does the decreased surface area really make a huge difference worth spending some money for?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I have that exact ice tray and can say it's definitely worth it. It will make any drink that's supposed to be served over a large rock way better than if you used regular cubes. The huge cube is a completely different feel in the glass, and yeah, it melts slower.

One of my favs that gets served over a large cube:

Easy Does It

1oz gin
.5oz Aperol
.25oz Campari
1oz grapefruit juice
.5oz simple syrup

Shake/Strain. The garnish is 3 raspberries, but I would say it's optional. I make it w/o the garnish all the time.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I have that tray and those cubes are loving boss. They're also good for frothing the living gently caress out of a Ramos Gin Fizz.

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
Been playing around with Aviations (sans Violette), and saw online a few recipes made with a 2 : 0.5 : 0.5 ratio of gin/lemon juice/maraschino. I am using Luxardo Maraschino and finding it overpowering all the gins I have used. Has anyone found the same and what ratios do you use?

Kenning posted:

I have that tray and those cubes are loving boss. They're also good for frothing the living gently caress out of a Ramos Gin Fizz.

I too use those cubes for the Ramos Fizz (and anything that uses egg in it) and it works out a lot better... I was just wondering, is it worth it use them in stuff that only has some juice an whatnot or would using regular cubes yield the same result in that case?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've done Aviations at 2 : .75 : 1 with Luxardo and they are awesome, but I'm a maraschino fiend.

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering

Kenning posted:

I've done Aviations at 2 : .75 : 1 with Luxardo and they are awesome, but I'm a maraschino fiend.

Actually, just tried the aviation with the same ratios and beefeater and enjoyed it a lot more (had used tanq 10 and sapphire before). Just curious, what is your gin of preference for this cocktail?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

betamax posted:

Actually, just tried the aviation with the same ratios and beefeater and enjoyed it a lot more (had used tanq 10 and sapphire before). Just curious, what is your gin of preference for this cocktail?
I like a 1.5 oz Plymouth gin, 3/4 oz Luxardo, and 1 oz lemon juice. The only Aviations I've had are the ones I've made, but I really like it. The lemon flavor really comes through, which may or may not be your thing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

betamax posted:

Tanq 10 and Bombay Sapphire are pussy gins, frankly. They were designed with non-gin drinkers in mind, so they mute the juniper and use more delicate botanicals which can be nice on the rocks I guess but which get muscled out by strong flavors like maraschino (god I love maraschino). I'm not a Tanqueray fan in general, honestly, but Bombay Original has good, robust flavor and excellent price mark that makes it my workhorse gin. Beefeater is totally workable, a bit more citrusy than Bombay. I also like Boodles, again for a citrusy gin, and Broker's, which is more similar to Bombay. Citadelle is also a good one, but not one of my standards. Finally, if you wanna make some excellent martinis, Anchor Junipero has a lush juniper flavor that is off the hook.

I like gin a lot.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.
What are your favorite gins?

I just picked up a bottle of Bluecoat (750mL for $23), a bottle of Hayman's Old Tom (was thinking about Ransom but I think Hayman's will be more versatile for mixing) and a bottle of Dry Fly. DrinkupNY won't ship to TX, but luckily I have a friend in NY that will forward the package to me :)

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
I really don't know anything about cocktails so I'm finding this thread pretty interesting. I can't watch a dramatic movie without some spirits though, in the past I've always gone for bourbon + ginger ale + lime on rocks. Simple enough for a liquor illiterate like myself to make and damned good, but I'll def try out some of these others.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Wompa164 posted:

I just picked up a bottle of Bluecoat (750mL for $23), a bottle of Hayman's Old Tom (was thinking about Ransom but I think Hayman's will be more versatile for mixing) and a bottle of Dry Fly. DrinkupNY won't ship to TX, but luckily I have a friend in NY that will forward the package to me :)

I really love Hendricks.

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering

Kenning posted:

Tanq 10 and Bombay Sapphire are pussy gins, frankly. They were designed with non-gin drinkers in mind, so they mute the juniper and use more delicate botanicals which can be nice on the rocks I guess but which get muscled out by strong flavors like maraschino (god I love maraschino). I'm not a Tanqueray fan in general, honestly, but Bombay Original has good, robust flavor and excellent price mark that makes it my workhorse gin. Beefeater is totally workable, a bit more citrusy than Bombay. I also like Boodles, again for a citrusy gin, and Broker's, which is more similar to Bombay. Citadelle is also a good one, but not one of my standards. Finally, if you wanna make some excellent martinis, Anchor Junipero has a lush juniper flavor that is off the hook.

I like gin a lot.

I find am tending to agree with you, and have found I like gin with a stronger juniper profile in most cocktails. Would you believe me if I tell you that regular Bombay is not available in Ontario, though? As far as I know no Boodles either. I have to say I really enjoy Plymouth as well.

Have you tried/heard of Victoria gin? It's a small batch gin made in British Columbia and I really like that one as well but given the price I've been using it less often than tanq or beefeater.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Wompa164 posted:

Bombay London Dry.

Some friends and I had a gin tasting party many years ago (so this excludes many of the newer gins to hit the market) and of the 7-8 or so types we tried good old BLD came out on top in all three (Martini, G&T, and Pink Gin) categories.

I will say that we did discover that most people cant tell the difference between any of the different brands in a G&T. The tonic water used seems to be much more important then the gin.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Bombay London Dry.

:hfive:

Bombay really rocks. Actually, a Bombay rocks with an olive – almond stuffed – and the tiniest (like a single drop or two) of brine is incredibly refreshing and tasty. Highly recommended.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I figure this would be the best place to ask. I'm off for Thanksgiving AND Black Friday this year, so I want to make a good solid eggnog, possibly with raw egg. Anyone got any preferred well tested recipes?

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

Wompa164 posted:

I've got Ransom and Dry Fly in my cabinet right now. I also make my own gin sometimes too which I keep in a Mason jar and take sips from.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.

Joe Friday posted:

I've got Ransom and Dry Fly in my cabinet right now. I also make my own gin sometimes too which I keep in a Mason jar and take sips from.

How do you like the Ransom? I'm kind of regretting not grabbing it but I can't justify having 4 different gins right now.

Also, I just picked up a bottle of Neisson Rhum Agricole and holy poo poo, holy poo poo. This r(h)um will make anyone rethink rum.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Manuel Calavera posted:

I figure this would be the best place to ask. I'm off for Thanksgiving AND Black Friday this year, so I want to make a good solid eggnog, possibly with raw egg. Anyone got any preferred well tested recipes?

I made Dale DeGroff's "Uncle Angelo's" eggnog last winter.

Ingredients (for six people)
6 eggs (separated)
1 quart milk [I used 2%]
1 pint cream [I used light cream]
1 tbsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 cup sugar
6 oz. bourbon [I used Wild Turkey 101]
6 oz. spice rum [I used Kraken]

Directions
Beat egg yolks until white, adding half a cup of sugar as you beat. Add milk, cream and liquor to finished yolks. Then beat egg whites until they peak. [I used an automatic egg beater -- it seems like hard work otherwise] Fold whites into mixture. Grate fresh nutmeg over drink.

The recipe worked out well and was a big hit.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Wompa164 posted:

New Amsterdam is very good for the price.

Other than that, I drink Bombay Sapphire, Beefeaters, and Tanqueray. Depends on the price of the handle when I'm shopping

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Wompa164 posted:

How do you like the Ransom? I'm kind of regretting not grabbing it but I can't justify having 4 different gins right now.

Also, I just picked up a bottle of Neisson Rhum Agricole and holy poo poo, holy poo poo. This r(h)um will make anyone rethink rum.

If you want to rethink rum you need to get your hands on some Smith and Cross. If I could only drink one spirit for the rest of my life, that would be it.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Kenning posted:

If you want to rethink rum you need to get your hands on some Smith and Cross. If I could only drink one spirit for the rest of my life, that would be it.

Straight up. I drank my way through a bottle of Smith and Cross way faster than I thought I would, given that I always have a new spirit neat first and it obviously completely blasted out my tastebuds when I did that. It makes perfect painkillers and I really got to enjoying it as an old fashioned with xocolatl mole bitters. One of my favorite spirits; I need a new bottle.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, it's a beast neat but with a little turbinado or demerara syrup, a dash or two of Angostura, and some ice it goes down niiiiiice and smooth. My roommate described that drink like, "You take a sip and then kerbloooooooshkhss...flavor explosion."

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
I submit that there is no better drink than a dry martini, and my skill in making them is such that a bartender once complimented me on it. Still, it's curious to give someone props for making a drink with only two ingredients (one if you are Winston Churchill).

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

llama_arse posted:

I submit that there is no better drink than a dry martini, and my skill in making them is such that a bartender once complimented me on it. Still, it's curious to give someone props for making a drink with only two ingredients (one if you are Winston Churchill).

I've never really understood why the Classic Martini is such a big deal. To me, they've always seemed like a struggle to drink a glass full of vodka/gin before it gets warm and gross.

Somebody please, explain.

Oh, and ATTN- betamax, and any other Ontario goons: LCBO must have read this article:

http://www.thegridto.com/life/food-drink/hoarding-alert-lillet-blanc/

Because they are very well stocked in Lillet Blanc as of yesterday. Just got back with my bottle. Finally going to try a Vesper.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

First of all, the glass is probably too big. It shouldn't be any more than 4.5 ounces (as I mentioned earlier in this thread). Secondly, it shouldn't be made with vodka. Third, the vermouth should be fresh. Fourth, it should actually be stirred with ice, rather than just lazily sloshed in the mixing glass. Fifth, there is such a thing as too dry – if your gin : vermouth ratio is exceeding 6 : 1 you should just call a spade a spade and say you're drinking gin up. Finally, a couple dashes of orange bitters and a lemon twist makes it all sing.

The reason that no one actually likes Martinis is that few places actually serve martinis. They serve vaguely cool gin/vodka faintly tainted with sour vermouth. And that's terrible.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Tripping the light fantastic

Kenning posted:

First of all, the glass is probably too big. It shouldn't be any more than 4.5 ounces (as I mentioned earlier in this thread). Secondly, it shouldn't be made with vodka. Third, the vermouth should be fresh. Fourth, it should actually be stirred with ice, rather than just lazily sloshed in the mixing glass. Fifth, there is such a thing as too dry – if your gin : vermouth ratio is exceeding 6 : 1 you should just call a spade a spade and say you're drinking gin up. Finally, a couple dashes of orange bitters and a lemon twist makes it all sing.

The reason that no one actually likes Martinis is that few places actually serve martinis. They serve vaguely cool gin/vodka faintly tainted with sour vermouth. And that's terrible.

Was going to post exactly this. A properly made martini is one of the most delicious things out there.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
6pm PST I will have a Sapphire (out of Hendricks) Martini with some Cinzano vermouth and two big rear end spanish olives.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Kenning posted:

Sweet, thanks for the tips. I just got some Orange Bitters so I'll give this a try.

It's funny how people don't know about vermouth going bad. I guess most people (myself included, until recently) just assume everything in the liquor cabinet is okay to just sit there forever. My girlfriend thought I was crazy when I started pouring the months old, unrefrigerated stuff down the sink.

Thread Content: The Leatherneck (from Ted Haigh's Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails):

2 oz. blended whisky
3/4 oz. blue curacao
1/2 oz. lime juice

Shake on ice, pour into a chilled cocktail glass, garnish with a lime wheel.

This drink is alright. Nothing special, but has a funky greenish blue colour which I guess is it's redeeming quality.

Ernest Hemingway fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 19, 2011

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
So, am wanting to start playing around with Brandy/Cognac... should I start with something like a cheap brandy (have an unopened bottle of St Remy VSOP)? Or should I actually get some cognac? The cognac most widely available here are Remy Martin, Courvoisier and Hennesy...

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Oh, and ATTN- betamax, and any other Ontario goons: LCBO must have read this article:

http://www.thegridto.com/life/food-drink/hoarding-alert-lillet-blanc/

Because they are very well stocked in Lillet Blanc as of yesterday. Just got back with my bottle. Finally going to try a Vesper.
Thanks for the heads up but I already got some. There is also Lillet Rouge now as well, and in two weeks there will be Licor 43 which I don't think has been stocked before by the LCBO. If you are into Bourbon George T Stagg will also be available, although in very limited quantities.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

All this, but I'd also add that:
a. chill the glass thoroughly by filling it with ice for a while before the Maritinis is poured into it
b.I had a great martini once that was served in basically a bowl full of ice that the stemless cocktail cone sat in and that was awesome
b. failing b.,you kind of need to be a drinker to down a martini before it gets warm. I enjoy my Martinis the most in the evening, outside, in the late fall or early Spring in New England when I go outside for a smoke and look at the stars. Everything stays nicely chilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's easier to chill glasses by just sticking them in the freezer.