Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Yeah, good job on the classy and understated styling there Lincoln. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
Haha, wow, I remember hearing that the auto journos who had been given a look at the new Lincoln styling a few months ago said it was a big improvement. I guess it's a little more curvaceous and styled but I really thought they'd lose the baleen grille. Maybe they can do the opposite of what BMW does and progressively shrink it until it becomes vestigial. I'm also surprised they kept the whole monobrow taillight on the rear of the MKT, which I always found hideous.

I suppose it was never destined to be an internet car snob darling, and it'll probably wear better with time like Cadillac's Art and Science styling. They definitely look less like Fords now, at least.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

MATLAB 1988 posted:

The hood crease going to/from the Lincoln badge :psyduck: Thanks, brand managers.

yeah it looks like a giant lincoln-headed sperm got caught on the hood

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mr. Pither posted:

I suppose it was never destined to be an internet car snob darling, and it'll probably wear better with time like Cadillac's Art and Science styling. They definitely look less like Fords now, at least.

With A&S, you have to remember that the first A&S car was the original CTS, and that thing still looks loving ugly and weird to me. Then they revised it a bit, actually toned down some of the cues and now it looks pretty drat good. But initially, it was way strange. I imagine the same happening with the new Lincoln design language, and it kind of happened with Acura - the TL facelift looks a bit more cohesive even with the shield grille than the original shield grille.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

oRenj9 posted:

Yeah, good job on the classy and understated styling there Lincoln. :thumbsup:

Seriously. I really don't understand what they were trying to do with these. Those grills are absolutely atrocious.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

With the introduction of the ZL-1, the Camaro is already edging dangerously close to the Corvette in terms of pricing and power/prestige. Given that situation, logically you would want to further separate the two cars to avoid competing against yourself. Making the more expensive of the two cars (which is still selling well and has received few complaints about its styling) look more like the cheaper one is really pretty pointless. If anything, you would want to take the car further upscale since the only way to get people to buy a base Corvette instead of the ZL-1 Camaro is to accentuate the sharper styling and smaller size from being a true two-seater sports car instead of a muscle car/pony car. Making it look fatter and more like the $25k Camaro makes no sense.

Camaro Base - $24k
Camaro ZL1 - 580 hp, $55k

Corvette Coupe - 430 hp, $50k

By making the Corvette look like the Camaro, they are re-framing it from the other fast Chevrolet to the aspirational upgrade from the Camaro. Same style, same powertrain (?), but more elite since it's more expensive and less practical. If they can get somebody who wants a Corvette but can't make the case for it into a Camaro instead of a Mustang or Challenger due to the consistent identity, that's a win.

They aren't trying to make two distinct sporty cars that individually make lots of money, they're trying to build a brand (Chevrolet) that makes lots of money on sports cars, no matter the size. Making the Corvette look like the Camaro fits in to that; they're not making it look like the Mustang or Challenger.

:iiaca: reversal of fortune: it's the same reason Apple redesigned the iMac lines in 2009 to use the same design language as the 2008 MacBook, and why the iPod Mini got discontinued in favor of the iPod Nano. The brand and the company as a whole are more important than the products.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

DogDodger posted:

Worked for the European B7 RS 4...

Only because VAG can't make a window regulator to save their lives.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
[meatpimp jalopnik repost disclaimer]
Haha, someone mentioned it when the C-series Black coupe came out, but it's much closer than I'd thought when presented like this:

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
If you think that Lincoln is bad, perhaps you've yet to see the BMW i8.

At first I was like Oooh, then I was like Ughhh...

I'm still convinced my next new car will be all electric.. apparently just not a BMW.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BonzoESC posted:

By making the Corvette look like the Camaro, they are re-framing it from the other fast Chevrolet to the aspirational upgrade from the Camaro. Same style, same powertrain (?), but more elite since it's more expensive and less practical. If they can get somebody who wants a Corvette but can't make the case for it into a Camaro instead of a Mustang or Challenger due to the consistent identity, that's a win.

They aren't trying to make two distinct sporty cars that individually make lots of money, they're trying to build a brand (Chevrolet) that makes lots of money on sports cars, no matter the size. Making the Corvette look like the Camaro fits in to that; they're not making it look like the Mustang or Challenger.

:iiaca: reversal of fortune: it's the same reason Apple redesigned the iMac lines in 2009 to use the same design language as the 2008 MacBook, and why the iPod Mini got discontinued in favor of the iPod Nano. The brand and the company as a whole are more important than the products.

Except the Corvette has always been the halo car of the Chevrolet lineup, and there is no reason to make it look uglier. I still think my Ford analogy works better.

The problem that comes back to bite GM in particular again and again is not focusing on their products. There is nothing more important than the product.

Similarly, the Apple analogy doesn't really illustrate a company sacrificing a product "for the good of the brand." The redesign of the iMac line in 2009 was a minor refresh of the major redesign from 2007, which switched from the white polycarbonate enclosure to an aluminum one. Except that also wasn't really an example of "sacrifice" either since the overall design was similar, and it was arguably an upgrade from a plastic case to a metal one.

The replacement of the iPod mini by the iPod nano was 100% due to changes in technology. The iPod mini used a microdrive, whereas the nano used flash memory. They had similar amounts of available memory capacity and capabilities. Indeed, the second-generation iPod nano was basically a scaled down copy of the iPod mini, using an almost identical looking wraparound aluminum case. How is this an example of a product being made worse simply to keep some stupid idea of "brand identity"?

Making the Corvette look fatter isn't "growing the brand." It's just a bad styling move.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mr.Peabody posted:

If you think that Lincoln is bad, perhaps you've yet to see the BMW i8.

At first I was like Oooh, then I was like Ughhh...

I'm still convinced my next new car will be all electric.. apparently just not a BMW.

Dunno, if you take away the dumb two-tone paint, it doesn't look bad at all.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
See, this is what the new Corvette should use as a styling concept:
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/corvette-dpg3-runs-at-daytona/

There's been rumblings of a mid-engine Corvette replacement for neigh-on a decade. I know it would never happen, but just imagine...

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 18, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In the US, wouldn't that have to be a single seater? :btroll:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
That just looks like every single mid engined car ever, what radical design cue am I looking at?

Also mid engined cars are ugly and anathema to the entire Corvette brand.

Edmunds has photos of the Aventador's suspension.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/09/2012-lamborghini-aventador-suspension-walkaround.html

High quality fasteners.

Rear wheel vs front wheel.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 18, 2011

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

When I watch the video of it in motion, all I keep seeing is a trapezoid.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

SouthLAnd posted:

The thing I love about this is that the car had been wrecked 3 weeks earlier, and the NHTSA just ignored the huge 435lb Li-Ion battery in the middle of the car. Hell, even GM recommends that the battery be drained after a major collision to avoid fires. The only headline that should come from this story is "NHTSA Retarded: Wrecked cars can (still) catch fire".

http://www.green.autoblog.com/2011/11/11/chevy-volt-battery-catches-fire-in-nhtsa-lab/

Or "NHTSA Retarded for not Following Unwritten and Unreleased Safety Protocols."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

That just looks like every single mid engined car ever, what radical design cue am I looking at?

Well the class that it's in was basically a spec car since it's inception, and it's the first of the new generation cars to come out, IIRC. It totally has Corvette on the front body panel, in the headlights, side grilles, and the split window.

It's not radical, but it's pretty and a fresh look to an American racing series.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

Split rear bubble window.

I mean it's a prototype-class race car. They all more or less look the same. They're also pretty aerodynamically sound.

Also, just in case you really wanted a Mercedes R-class, but feel that the grille isn't big enough, then Infiniti has a new car for you!

See? America doesn't have a monopoly on dumb chrome grilles on giant lumpy crossovers!

Since we saw the new Escape, compare it to the new CRV:

Not horrible, but not exactly good looking either.

Finally, the new Trailblazer is out. Hope you like Malibu styling on your trucks, as with both the new Blazer and the global Colorado seem to use it...

This has been your lumpy crossover update. Please return to your regular car news.

For me, this means looking at pictures of the Subaru BRZ and desperately figuring out how I might be able to fit one into my life before the styling gets ruined by a refresh. Given the price, I do not want to buy one used 5 years down the line.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cream_Filling posted:

See? America doesn't have a monopoly on dumb chrome grilles on giant lumpy crossovers!

It kind of does though - Infiniti SUVs are very much designed for/aimed at the US market.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Especially the QX56, which somehow manages to be so tacky it makes the Escalade look restrained and classy.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

sanchez posted:

Especially the QX56, which somehow manages to be so tacky it makes the Escalade look restrained and classy.

It's also oddly bulbous. It's basically the enormous fake tits trophy wife of SUVs, as opposed to the Escalade, which is more like the toothy bottle-blonde pageant queen of SUVs.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

Except the Corvette has always been the halo car of the Chevrolet lineup, and there is no reason to make it look uglier. I still think my Ford analogy works better.

Making the Corvette look fatter isn't "growing the brand." It's just a bad styling move.

Making the Corvette look like the Camaro helps it build the brand as a halo car. I'm sorry you don't like the way it looks!

xxn1927
Mar 5, 2001

Cream_Filling posted:

It's a much better looking car in person. The interior is especially nice. They use this weird matte finish plastic that looks like foam around the door trim, and the interior is all leather and glass. Getting into the front seat is a bitch, though.

i8:

i3:

I think the idea of coach doors on the i3 is great. The interior has the same design language but a much more open feel. The roof is made of glass with asymmetric structural elements beneath it. Seat-belts are integrated into the seats to prevent obstructions when entering the vehicle. I wonder if they will be able to get that much leg room for the rear-seats in the production version.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dear god how wide do they think parking spaces are? Is that a concept or a pre-production jobbie?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Goddamn. Now that is certainly an interesting twist right there. Shame on GM then. I still see nothing surprising about a hybrid with a huge fuckoff li-ion battery catching fire after it's been wrecked. You would think some crash scientist at the NHTSA would have thought "Hey! Maybe we shouldn't park this thing next to the Jetta and Hyundai since we just creamed it during a side impact test".

Good find though.

Also: The rear three quarter view of the new Honda CR-V bothers me in ways I can't quite explain.

Around the D-pillar, tail lights, rear most window and the stray body line on the bumper that's shooting off into space, it just looks like a jumbled mess. It's got nothing on the new Escape, especially since it's using the same driveline as the previous model.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 18, 2011

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Dear god how wide do they think parking spaces are? Is that a concept or a pre-production jobbie?

Unless there's a price tag attached, assume it's just a concept developed at great expense that will never be produced. There's less disappointment that way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, just in case you really wanted a Mercedes R-class, but feel that the grille isn't big enough, then Infiniti has a new car for you!

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

1) I'm surprised Mercedes even bother making commercials for the Black series. How expensive are those again? And don't they sell in really low volume? Almost seems like a Rolls commercial to me.

2) Why can't Lincoln go back to making nice-looking sport sedans like the LS?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
There's some business lingo for it but I think it's really just to enchance the Mercedes name across the whole lineup. Some chump will see the ads, become enamored, and lease a C240 just because.

Not dissimilar to the huge billboard on I-95 that says "HEY FORT LAUDERDALE, SOMEONE IN YOUR TOWN BOUGHT AN AUDI R-8"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Definitely worth grooming the brand image. The 1-min ad Peabody linked is long, so it'll probably just get put on the internet. Mercedes needs sporty credibility, so it might help a little.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrKatharsis posted:

There's some business lingo for it but I think it's really just to enchance the Mercedes name across the whole lineup. Some chump will see the ads, become enamored, and lease a C240 just because.

Not dissimilar to the huge billboard on I-95 that says "HEY FORT LAUDERDALE, SOMEONE IN YOUR TOWN BOUGHT AN AUDI R-8"

There was a Lexus LF-A billboard above I-95 near the I-395 intersection in downtown Miami for a while; somebody in town probably has one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

MrSaturn posted:

Jesus Christ, Lincoln.

2013 Lincoln MKS evolves new nose, bigger brakes

Looks like a goddamned baleen whale.

e: looks like they designed its mom, too...

2013 Lincoln MKT shows its toothier grin

Does this count as an improvement? it's less whale and more....split Chrysler?

2013 MKZ (and future Lincoln design language) preview?

From Autoblog

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

SouthLAnd posted:

Also: The rear three quarter view of the new Honda CR-V bothers me in ways I can't quite explain.

Is that because it's a poo poo copy of the Volvo XC60 concept ?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Spatule posted:

Is that because it's a poo poo copy of the Volvo XC60 concept ?

Concept? Those things have ben out a year or so now. I want one, but the fact a £40k suv can be had for £16k at 9 months old suggests they may have issues.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BonzoESC posted:

Making the Corvette look like the Camaro helps it build the brand as a halo car. I'm sorry you don't like the way it looks!

If the Corvette has been enormously successful as Chevrolet's halo car for quite some time now, why take it downmarket to the Camaro's level? Why not add Corvette styling cues to the Camaro to make it aspirational instead?

All I see in the new Corvette design is ugly pastiche that's obscuring a great concept

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 19, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Despite the super strong wording, I still have trouble believing that thing is real.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Concept? Those things have ben out a year or so now. I want one, but the fact a £40k suv can be had for £16k at 9 months old suggests they may have issues.

I meant that it looks more like the concept than the production xc60.

xxn1927
Mar 5, 2001

SouthLAnd posted:

Goddamn. Now that is certainly an interesting twist right there. Shame on GM then. I still see nothing surprising about a hybrid with a huge fuckoff li-ion battery catching fire after it's been wrecked. You would think some crash scientist at the NHTSA would have thought "Hey! Maybe we shouldn't park this thing next to the Jetta and Hyundai since we just creamed it during a side impact test".

Good find though.

Around the D-pillar, tail lights, rear most window and the stray body line on the bumper that's shooting off into space, it just looks like a jumbled mess. It's got nothing on the new Escape, especially since it's using the same driveline as the previous model.

When talking to some guys at Honda, they had mentioned this thing was designed in 2007 in the middle of the financial crises, and that Honda literally stopped spending money on design and R&D (explains the Civic as well).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
While talking to some guys at Ferrari, they told me I'm super cool and get mega babes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Since we saw the new Escape, compare it to the new CRV:

Not horrible, but not exactly good looking either.

Finally, the new Trailblazer is out. Hope you like Malibu styling on your trucks, as with both the new Blazer and the global Colorado seem to use it...

This has been your lumpy crossover update. Please return to your regular car news.

The Trailblazer is not a crossover, but an actual SUV, body plopped onto a truck frame and all that. Also, it doesn't look half bad, especially compared to the tumorous CR-V and just-drove-really-fast-through-a-fire Infiniti.