Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

NOTCH.

I am awaiting your eventual decision to emulate Dwarf Fortress once more and add War Animal Training.

I will be Ranger Ganondorf, goddamn you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So, is this release stable enough to upgrade our SA server? I guess I expected people to be complaining more, or 1.0.1 to be announced to be coming soon if that was the point.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?
I built a portal in the nether, passed through it back into the normal world, and found myself standing in the portal, which is floating miles above the ocean. :(

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
So are portals still wonky as heck in this, the FINISHED RELEASED version?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

a starwar betamax posted:

So are portals still wonky as heck in this, the FINISHED RELEASED version?

You still have to build them far apart bro, that's just the way the math works.

Edit: Am I the only one to notice vastly decreased memory usage compared to 1.8.1? I have it set up to use a max of 3 GB of RAM, in 1.8.1 it usually stuck around 1.5 or 2 GB of ram in use, but in 1.0.0 it hangs out below 512 MB all the time!

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 19, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Install Gentoo posted:

You still have to build them far apart bro, that's just the way the math works.

Lining them up exactly works, too.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Is it wrong that right now what I really want is Indev islands and world types, just with all the new features?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Cephalocidal posted:

Is it wrong that right now what I really want is Indev islands and world types, just with all the new features?
Honestly I would love being able to use indev size maps for smp, as a lot of people who play on my server just end up building about a mile away from everyone else. you never see them and they never do anything with anyone else, turning it into a glorified singleplayer.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

It's kinda nasty looking at ground level. I wouldn't mind if it had real transitions, but as it is...

You could always replace the default biome texture with something not awful, like say, one of Painterly's 5 or so options.

If you really really like the other vanilla textures for some crazy reason, you could even just replace ONLY the biome grass texture.

Also hopping on the "runs way better uses far less memory" bandwagon. Even with the annoying beds, this update is worth it for that alone.

I guess the other "content" was spoiled for me by running all the 1.9 Pre versions. :shobon:

Tengames posted:

Honestly I would love being able to use indev size maps for smp, as a lot of people who play on my server just end up building about a mile away from everyone else. you never see them and they never do anything with anyone else, turning it into a glorified singleplayer.

I think that's the eventual fate of most servers, sadly.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Boat posted:

You could always replace the default biome texture with something not awful, like say, one of Painterly's 5 or so options.

If you really really like the other vanilla textures for some crazy reason, you could even just replace ONLY the biome grass texture.

Also hopping on the "runs way better uses far less memory" bandwagon. Even with the annoying beds, this update is worth it for that alone.

I guess the other "content" was spoiled for me by running all the 1.9 Pre versions. :shobon:

I think that's the eventual fate of most servers, sadly.

Replacing the biome triangles won't do jack - the swamp stuff is all hard-coded.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

I've done some testing, and you can go to sleep if the head of the bed is 9 or more blocks away from a monster (the monster was a zombie and it knew I was there, and was staring at me while I slept).

This means you'll just have to put your bed in the middle of a large room/house, or build fences and put torches outside. Or have an emergency bunker in your basement if a spider climbs the wall, or an Enderman teleports past it.

I usually fence my house and put torches on it anyway, just to make it easier to get home at night.

That sucks because it means you can't build small shelters while exploring anymore. :(

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
Is there any way to get the old sounds back? The new squeaky-hinge sound on the doors is seriously doing my head in, and I keep nearly jumping out of my skin every time a pick breaks on me.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Best new sound: Cracking gristle\snapping bones EVERY loving TIME you take damage.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

StealthArcher posted:

NOTCH.

I am awaiting your eventual decision to emulate Dwarf Fortress once more and add War Animal Training.

I will be Ranger Ganondorf, goddamn you!

It's like a parade of ducklings following their mother. :3:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

arhra posted:

Is there any way to get the old sounds back? The new squeaky-hinge sound on the doors is seriously doing my head in, and I keep nearly jumping out of my skin every time a pick breaks on me.

Just an FYI, you can now repair picks by placing any two of the same pick into your crafting grid anywhere.

It's cheaper than making a new pick, since repairing two picks gives more health for the resultant pick than the sum of its starting picks. This bonus goes up as the pick type goes up.

Generally I bring 2 picks along, work each one down into the red, combine, and only then make a new pick, repeating ad infinitum.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Item_Repair

a starwar betamax posted:

Best new sound: Cracking gristle\snapping bones EVERY loving TIME you take damage.

Yeah, first hearing that noise while taking drowning damage really confused me.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Is anyone running an active 1.0 server? I've gone through a few of the servers in the Private Games forum and they all seem to be holding at 1.8 (for bukkit). I'd like to get my build on with some goons, even if it is vanilla.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

Tengames posted:

I believe there's a bukkit plugin that does this, I've seen servers where generating new chunks is turned off beyond a certain distance from spawn. Maybe someone else knows the name, or you can scour their plugins directory.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Boat posted:

Just an FYI, you can now repair picks by placing any two of the same pick into your crafting grid anywhere.

It's cheaper than making a new pick, since repairing two picks gives more health for the resultant pick than the sum of its starting picks. This bonus goes up as the pick type goes up.

Generally I bring 2 picks along, work each one down into the red, combine, and only then make a new pick, repeating ad infinitum.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Item_Repair

Yeah, do this. You can craft together two tools at 1/3 durability and get a brand-new tool, that's how much extra you get.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's been in since 1.9pre3??? I've never heard of it before, and I don't remember anyone talking about it!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Personally, in terms of a "finite" world, I'd love it if there were an island or continent option where it only created so much land (however much you wanted- huge yet finite continents would be pretty cool) and surrounded that with infinite oceans. I'd never play anything else if that were an option. Worlds going on and on forever, without meaningful variation or larger structure, are really boring. The new biomes made the variation and structure a lot larger, and therefore a lot more compelling, but what would be most compelling is something like what we have now that you could complete- a continent where you could conceivably explore the entire thing.

And heck, if you like the fact that the world is limitless, a setting that generated an infinite number of these continents, separate from each other of course, would be great too.

... Basically, I've been mapping the coast of the server I play on for months now and it's frustrating that I'll never finish, and no larger structure will ever appear.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

iceslice posted:

Is anyone running an active 1.0 server? I've gone through a few of the servers in the Private Games forum and they all seem to be holding at 1.8 (for bukkit). I'd like to get my build on with some goons, even if it is vanilla.

That Goonscape server seems to be up, although my connection is poo poo right now so I haven't been able to stay connected for more than a few minutes at a time.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
Yogscast interview Notch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeqODZQCKyI

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

kas posted:

Replacing the biome triangles won't do jack - the swamp stuff is all hard-coded.

That's dumb as gently caress. Is there any rhyme or reason to where in the biome triangle swamps appear or do they just pop in at random? If there's a pattern, at least then somebody could make a biome shader that causes it to blend a little better.

Drox posted:

That's been in since 1.9pre3??? I've never heard of it before, and I don't remember anyone talking about it!

Yeah, I only found out about it by stumbling on it in the wiki after blowing through a diamond sword before crafting another one. I was kind of annoyed.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

JuHoZ posted:

Yogscast interview Notch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeqODZQCKyI

Jesus. I kept waiting for the interview to start. Then 5 minutes had gone by and I turned the video off.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Oggumogoggum posted:

Jesus. I kept waiting for the interview to start. Then 5 minutes had gone by and I turned the video off.

It's less an interview and more three people hanging out and chatting. The problem being that Simon and Lewis are entertaining and have social skills, while Notch is boring and kind of awkward. Their Blizzcon interviews are a lot more entertaining.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Boat posted:

That's dumb as gently caress. Is there any rhyme or reason to where in the biome triangle swamps appear or do they just pop in at random? If there's a pattern, at least then somebody could make a biome shader that causes it to blend a little better.

I'm pretty sure the swamp colours aren't pulled from the biome textures at all. When kas said they were hard-coded, he meant that in the most literal way possible.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What do you need to get optimal enchantments? Does the picture show the maximum books possible?

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
^^^ I do believe that is as efficient is it comes.

So I will be rolling the map on my SMP server. I am looking for anyone who is interested in playing to jump onboard and help me decide which map will permanently be our map.
Check out the server Reticulated Splines in PGS if you're interested.

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 19, 2011

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

-249106992406047440 is still a very nice seed, even after the changes from 1.8

It has mountains for building on, but it's not too mountainous that you can't get around and has some nice flat open spaces too. The land feels varied, which a lot of seeds lack.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Elysiume posted:

What do you need to get optimal enchantments? Does the picture show the maximum books possible?

Not quite. You need to close off the opening and make a ladder or something to get in there.

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.
Anyone know a way to get tons of XP quickly on creative mode? I want to try out some high level enchants!

Edit: Holy gently caress enderman noises are frightening

bout it flautist fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 20, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

PalmTreeFun posted:

Not quite. You need to close off the opening and make a ladder or something to get in there.
So you do need to layer at the same level and then one at the +1 level? Would have a ladder on the inside, along the bookshelves impede it?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
^^ No, I mean that you can't have a 'door' into the room. It has to be completely surrounded, with the only entrances at the top or bottom. It has to be surrounded by 32 total books, you currently have 30.

bout it flautist posted:

Anyone know a way to get tons of XP quickly on creative mode? I want to try out some high level enchants!

Go to the ender and kill the dragon. It dumps an insane amount of XP, pretty much enough to level you up to 50 instantly.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

PalmTreeFun posted:

No, 30 is the max it counts, they coded it like that so you could have a reasonable door. And if you did surround it and put ladders on the bookcases, the ladders would just negate the bookcases you put them on anyway.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
After I login to minecraft it goes to a black screen and I can't do anything. I have the current version of java installed. I have redownloaded the minecraft files twice. What is going on?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
That wasn't my picture (I've found a whopping 0 diamonds), but 30 bookcases it is. Thanks!

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Pretentious Turtle posted:

No, 30 is the max it counts, they coded it like that so you could have a reasonable door. And if you did surround it and put ladders on the bookcases, the ladders would just negate the bookcases you put them on anyway.

Oh, well I think it was 32 at one point in the prereleases. Do torches negate the bookcases like ladders do?

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUFKMd14Okw

The doors are teaching each other sentience! Quickly, tear them from their hinges and retreat back to your caves! :supaburn::supaburn:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wow is that really the new door noise? How awful.

Also why is that video's suggested videos full of minecraft dubstep stuff :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Does the latest version of Painterly work for 1.0.0? It sounds like no new textures have been added between the prerelease and the official release.