Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Update on my $12 optibay.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FM4UGE

Upsides:
$12, how can you possibly go wrong?
It works perfectly.
It fits using two of the three stock mounting points.

Downsides:
No instructions,not really a big deal since you can find them online easily enough.
Need to trim one of the tabs about a millimeter, so not too bad. In the first picture it's the tab on the bottom left that needs to be trimmed.
Can't change drives without removing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's with your dusty-rear end fan

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's been a dusty few months here in Arizona.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So work is going to buy me a mac for troubleshooting purposes, since more and more macs are creeping in and i'm the desktop admin guy. Would a 13" Air or 15" MBP be a better choice, keeping in mind that I already have a monster Lenovo W520 workstation laptop that I'm not giving up. I'm leaning towards the Air, but being able to easily virtualize anything with horsepower to spare is tempting. How is the current Air on virtualization performance with Fusion?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

How is the current Air on virtualization performance with Fusion?
Plenty fast.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I have a 1TB SATA hard drive that I've been using for about nine months with my Mac Pro. It's been plugged in via an external USB enclosure (This one), and it has stopped working as of a couple of weeks ago. I came into my office to find it lying on its side on a stack of envelopes (normally it's positioned vertically by means of a stand), and it no longer mounts. So clearly it's fallen over, but I wouldn't think that such a short fall would kill it.

What I've done is stick the drive into my extra drive bay on the Mac, and open up Disk Utility. The drive appears greyed out in the list of drives, and a verify/repair process comes out saying, "The volume Big Bertha appears to be OK." However, I'm unable to mount the drive. Whenever I try, I get a message saying, "The disk "Big Bertha" could not be mounted. Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting." Like I said, though, First Aid shows that the drive is fine.

The only thing on this drive is my iTunes library, which is quite large, and it would be a huge pain to lose all of this, especially for such a loving retarded reason (tipping over onto a stack of paper.) Anyone have any ideas of what I can do? I'm at a loss.
Open up Console and see what it spits out when you try mounting. I ran into something similar a while back, my problem ended up being a corrupt journal, the console message was something like "journal magic has failed". There's a trick to fix it but I don't know it right now, I'll post it once I find it if that is the problem you're seeing.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I've had luck taking such drives to other computers, then mounting/first aid and then bringing it back to the main machine. I dunno why but sometimes when a disk that was usually mounted on the main computer would get disconnected, it just wouldn't re-mount until I took it to another machine and ran first aid, then brought it back.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

devmd01 posted:

How is the current Air on virtualization performance with Fusion?

I'm only using VirtualBox with a virtualization of XP Pro SP3, but it runs stuff pretty snappy. Even .NET updates don't take too long, but YMMV, and I'm on a 4 GB RAM / 128 GB SSD 2010 unit with the nVidia GeForce 320m graphics.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

HDD issues

try Data Rescue 3 or there are also a number of command line utilities you should take a look at:
ddrescue, testdisk, photorec

OS X also comes with a command line version of diskutility called diskutil. It's more verbose/helpful than the graphical version so I suggest you use it. It sounds like an issue caused by yanking the USB cord out without ejecting the drive first.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anandtech has a review up of the late-2011 15" MBP

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5113/apple-15inch-macbook-pro-late-2011-review

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

japtor posted:

Open up Console and see what it spits out when you try mounting. I ran into something similar a while back, my problem ended up being a corrupt journal, the console message was something like "journal magic has failed". There's a trick to fix it but I don't know it right now, I'll post it once I find it if that is the problem you're seeing.
Looks like that's it. Here's the exact string that Console is showing:

code:
11/18/11 2:28:19 PM	kernel	jnl: disk1s3: open: journal magic is bad (0x12345678 != 0x4a4e4c78)
Fuckin magic, dude.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Looks like that's it. Here's the exact string that Console is showing:

code:
11/18/11 2:28:19 PM	kernel	jnl: disk1s3: open: journal magic is bad (0x12345678 != 0x4a4e4c78)
Fuckin magic, dude.
Yay, found my post about it, whole bunch of :words:, skip the first two paragraphs for a possible solution:

japtor posted:

And speaking of drive issues I ran into a fun one a few weeks ago. I had a drive unmount randomly while I was away (perhaps something to do with power, it was bus powered and system running full tilt) and it wouldn't mount back up again. Disk Utility could check it and say it was fine, yet couldn't mount it. I checked it out from a rescue CD and it mounted, all data apparently still in tact. I tested it on my Windows Mac and mounted and read fine. Pretty much anything but the Mac could mount it :argh:.

I checked through the logs and found something about the journal magic being bad :confused:. Apparently if the journal is hosed up the Mac can't read it, while everything else ignores the journal and mounts no problem. And to disable the journal on the Mac...you need to mount the volume :downs:.

But there's a trick I found somewhere!: "sudo mount_hfs -j DEVICENODE MOUNTDIR" apparently forces mounting without journaling.

DEVICENODE being the disk identifier, this can be found while in the Terminal with "diskutil list". MOUNTDIR is wherever it's going to mount. I did this at /Volumes (cause /Volumes/drivename didn't work) which a gently caress up cause it mounted the drive right as /Volumes and unmounted everything else that was there. Not sure what the hell the proper method is but I'd try making a folder in there, then mounting at that folder. Then from there you can use Disk Utility (or stay in the command line) to disable journaling and do a disk check to make sure it's not hosed up, then reenable journaling.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

iTunes 10.5.1.

I finally got my tunes back after putting a new 1TB HD in my ancient iMac before the computer went tango uniform. Got a brand new Mac Mini, threw that new HD in an external case and I'm rockin' and rollin' once again. Thing is, there is a metric shitton of music I really don't want anymore, and I really don't mind tossing it permanently. I pruned one album the old-fashioned way before something struck me as odd. I had iTunes 9.whatever on my old computer, and deleting songs/albums always brought up the prompt to delete from the list and move the actual file to the trash; now it just deletes from the list, and there are no mp3s/aacs et al. in the trash to get rid of.

Is this normal for 10? Does it just delete everything at once and skips the trash now? Oh boy, it's going to be a simple answer, huh?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

You Are A Elf posted:

iTunes 10.5.1.

I finally got my tunes back after putting a new 1TB HD in my ancient iMac before the computer went tango uniform. Got a brand new Mac Mini, threw that new HD in an external case and I'm rockin' and rollin' once again. Thing is, there is a metric shitton of music I really don't want anymore, and I really don't mind tossing it permanently. I pruned one album the old-fashioned way before something struck me as odd. I had iTunes 9.whatever on my old computer, and deleting songs/albums always brought up the prompt to delete from the list and move the actual file to the trash; now it just deletes from the list, and there are no mp3s/aacs et al. in the trash to get rid of.

Is this normal for 10? Does it just delete everything at once and skips the trash now? Oh boy, it's going to be a simple answer, huh?

I am pretty sure the first time you delete something from the library it asks you. It then remembers your preference. I am sure there is a setting hiding somewhere where you can change your mind though.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I think if you hold down option+ delete that sends it right to the trash. It might be cmd+delete if option doesn't work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You Are A Elf posted:

iTunes 10.5.1.

iTunes thread

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

japtor posted:

Yay, found my post about it, whole bunch of :words:, skip the first two paragraphs for a possible solution:

I tried this a bunch of different ways and couldn't get it to recognize any of the locations I wanted to mount the disk to. So I went with zalmoxes idea of using Data Rescue 3, and that's doing the trick. My only hope now is that I can eventually get the drive working again. Thanks for the help, guys!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So my late 2010 Macbook Air's initial warranty is about to expire. I'm considering getting Apple Care for it, but am not sure if it's worth it. I'm thinking that since there are fewer moving parts in these and thus i'm less likely to need warranty service. Any thoughts?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Better safe than sorry.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're planning to use it for at least another year I'd get the applecare. Any repairs on that thing is expensive.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I really wish OWC had a native OSX way of updating the firmware on their SSD's. Their options are a Linux boot disk for a small handful of machines, or a Windows updater. I guess I'll make a bootcamp partition on my Mini after all.

I really need to see whether the latest firmware update fixes this stupid hanging that's been happening on mine, before I start taking more drastic measures.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey, I have a mid-2007 MBP that works great for all my current needs, so I am not planning to replace it any time soon (nor could I afford to right now, being a poor grad student), but the keyboard's not working right (several keys not responding at all) and I want to replace it.

I've seen various replacement keyboards on eBay in the $30-40 range, but they're all shipping from China and I'm a little wary of them. iFixit has one for $100, and I see one new on Amazon for $85 and a refurbished one for $70. Which of these would be the best option, in your opinion/experience, and is there a better option I haven't found?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I really wish OWC had a native OSX way of updating the firmware on their SSD's. Their options are a Linux boot disk for a small handful of machines, or a Windows updater. I guess I'll make a bootcamp partition on my Mini after all.

I really need to see whether the latest firmware update fixes this stupid hanging that's been happening on mine, before I start taking more drastic measures.
OWC simply resells SSDs. Blame the manufacturers.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
One of the rubber feet fell off of my Macbook. The same thing happened to my iBook years back and they had spares at the Apple Store, anyone know if they'll still hook me up?

Also, looking at where the foot fell off, it seems like there's a pressure sensitive button underneath. What's it do?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's probably not a button, it's probably something inside the machine. I lost a foot on my MBP and left it alone until I realized it was leaking dust into the computer.

Ended up taping it from the inside and gluing the foot back on.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

It's probably not a button, it's probably something inside the machine. I lost a foot on my MBP and left it alone until I realized it was leaking dust into the computer.

Ended up taping it from the inside and gluing the foot back on.

What kind of glue did you use? My MBP has lost 3 of the 4 feet, and right now they are being held on by tape since they are covering holes in the case.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ShadeofBlue posted:

What kind of glue did you use? My MBP has lost 3 of the 4 feet, and right now they are being held on by tape since they are covering holes in the case.

Probably something like rubber cement since most glues won't stick to metal. Clean both surfaces with rubbing alcohol first.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wolffenstein posted:

OWC simply resells SSDs. Blame the manufacturers.
They make their own SF based drives.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

japtor posted:

They make their own SF based drives.

They sure do, and in the USA as well.

Between this updating bullshit and the freezing I'll never second guess paying the Apple tax on an SSD again. How can OWC of all people release a product that requires Windows to update?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Latest rumour from the 10.7.3 betas is that we'll be getting Radeon 7970s at some point. Device IDs in the GPU kexts and all that.
Then again, the long-purported 6970 support never arrived... here's to hoping.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
QUESTION TIME TIME FOR QUESTION!

So I am not very happy with how my 2011 iMac performs with games, just the base one but it's hard to get 30 fps in most-anything. I was toying with the idea of building a i5-2500k w/ a radeon 9770 but then I came across http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Video-Card-AMD-Radeon-HD-6970M-2GB-for-iMac-27-Mid-2011-661-5969---NEW-p-40083.html

How is the 6970M in the iMac? It'd be half the cost of building a secondary box just to play BF3/Skyrim/Diablo 3 and I could actually use the 27" monitor rather than my 23" 1080p monitors for the games. Is the fps in the 6970M significantly better? My iMac has the 512MB 6770M and it just blows.

Edit: according to anandtech you can't get 60FPS on ultra w/ native res on SC2 and Diablo 3 is really what I'm wanting to play so I guess that answers what I need to do.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 20, 2011

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

How can OWC of all people release a product that requires Windows to update?

None of the drives prior to the SSDs used in-house software (they just used Oxford's reference software—if they didn't just go straight for the chipsets with hardware switches), and SandForce will build your firmware for you, so I'm guessing the answer is "because SandForce doesn't know how to write an updater for Mac OS X."

Why the hell OWC doesn't pay someone who does, I don't know.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

flyboi posted:

So I am not very happy with how my 2011 iMac performs with games, just the base one but it's hard to get 30 fps in most-anything. I was toying with the idea of building a i5-2500k w/ a radeon 9770 but then I came across http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Video-Card-AMD-Radeon-HD-6970M-2GB-for-iMac-27-Mid-2011-661-5969---NEW-p-40083.html

How is the 6970M in the iMac? It'd be half the cost of building a secondary box just to play BF3/Skyrim/Diablo 3 and I could actually use the 27" monitor rather than my 23" 1080p monitors for the games. Is the fps in the 6970M significantly better? My iMac has the 512MB 6770M and it just blows.

Edit: according to anandtech you can't get 60FPS on ultra w/ native res on SC2 and Diablo 3 is really what I'm wanting to play so I guess that answers what I need to do.
You could bump the resolution to 1920x1080 and probably gain back that desired FPS. That's what I did for BF3 on my former 2010 iMac.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

flyboi posted:

According to http://www.barefeats.com/images10/imac11_por.gif
The 6970 is double the speed of the 6770 which in itself is actually worse than the 5770 in the 2010 iMacs.

But yeah a PC and/or Hackintosh is always going to be better for game performance.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
I can't put CDs in my iMac superdrive anymore. There is nothing in there and it feels like I'm hitting strong resistance. I can't insert the cd more than halfway. I've tried ejecting/unmounting a million different ways. Has anyone had a problem like this? Disk utility says there is no media inside.

I looked it up on Apple and the only post that related was where someone said it fixed itself.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

passionate dongs posted:

I can't put CDs in my iMac superdrive anymore. There is nothing in there and it feels like I'm hitting strong resistance. I can't insert the cd more than halfway. I've tried ejecting/unmounting a million different ways. Has anyone had a problem like this? Disk utility says there is no media inside.

I looked it up on Apple and the only post that related was where someone said it fixed itself.

Apple's optical drives are junk.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Had to tear apart my Mini and disconnect the second hard drive in order for boot camp to install. :stonk: Fortunately I'm at the point where I can do a complete teardown in about five minutes, but it's still ridiculous.

What happened for those of you with two hard drives from the factory? I can't imagine having to resort to doing that on an iMac.

Oh well, SSD firmware is updated and so far, so good.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

Matshita optical drives are junk.

Fixed.

Apple uses Matshita and LG because they're some of the only vendors who produce 9.5 mm thick CD/DVD drives. In my experience the LG drives are only marginally better than Matshitas.

From the damage I see them take I get the feeling if they'd only use a slighty better alloy on some of their internal mechanisms they wouldn't be as troublesome, but of course that would raise the price of the drive by 8 cents and give every Apple supply manager everywhere in the world an instant aneurism and drive the price of the MacBook Pro into the stratosphere.

Hyperdermic Needle
Oct 24, 2010
Weird question... does anyone know if I can use a Macbook Air as an external display for a desktop?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Apollodorus posted:

Hey, I have a mid-2007 MBP that works great for all my current needs, so I am not planning to replace it any time soon (nor could I afford to right now, being a poor grad student), but the keyboard's not working right (several keys not responding at all) and I want to replace it.

I've seen various replacement keyboards on eBay in the $30-40 range, but they're all shipping from China and I'm a little wary of them. iFixit has one for $100, and I see one new on Amazon for $85 and a refurbished one for $70. Which of these would be the best option, in your opinion/experience, and is there a better option I haven't found?

Just wanted to bump this so it doesn't get lost.