Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sockser posted:

http://youtu.be/95kgMvE6-co

This is awesome :)

That is pretty awesome indeed! (that said, oh hello there creepy comments)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burgerbaron
Aug 25, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I hope that, somewhere down the line, the reference to Bernie Lomax from Weekend at Bernies pays off with a new planet that uses Lomax as its contracted name. So it'd be Land of M____ and X____

I'm hoping for someone moving like Bernie.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

creationist believer posted:

Land of Mummies and... X-Rays?

Ham and Eggs, dummy.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Land of Marimbas and Xylophones. You know how John's associated with the piano, Rose with the violin, etc.? Jake is all about idiophones.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I watched Weekend at Bernies 2 as a kid and thought throughout the whole movie that Bernie was played by Burt Reynolds because he was the only man I knew in Hollywood who had facial hair and I thought that everyone in every movie who had facial hair was Burt Reynolds.

Like, Hollywood was only allowed to have one guy with a mustache at a time.

And Burt inherited his role as Hollywood's sole mustache from previous mustached star, Tom Selleck.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saw this a while back, it's still scary.

Dominic White posted:

Impressive! I especially like the note of 'southern evangelical preacher' in Gamzee's second voice. It fits.

Huh. That... you're right.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can feel it, it's a Bro botherlog coming up soon.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Nate RFB posted:

I can feel it, it's a Bro botherlog coming up soon.

Remember, we only get his auto-responder. Which I bet is "HEE HEE HOO HOO HAA HAA."

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Strider demands a rooftop ninja fight before he can even think of helping anyone, that probably makes things problematic for Jake.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well it has been a while since the last strife.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
I love the idea that uranium is a magical energy battery source that you suck electricity out of.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Eox posted:

Although one possible issue might be that this session can't scratch, because Jade left the Beat Mesa behind. They only get one shot.

Well, she took both Dave's planet and Skaia with her, so she should have the Beat Mesa somewhere.

It's probably a limited-use item, though, since, under normal circumstances, you'd never be able to use it a second time.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
She took the battlefield, not the entirety of Skaia. She left the Beat Mesa behind, we saw it still ascending into Skaia while she was getting the fourth wall ready.

JingleJunction
Jul 24, 2011

It was me!
Who the gently caress is paying a hundred dollars right now for that banner advertisement.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

She took the battlefield, not the entirety of Skaia. She left the Beat Mesa behind, we saw it still ascending into Skaia while she was getting the fourth wall ready.

Wait, isn't the Battlefield and Skaia the same thing?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Not exactly. What Jade took was just the little chessboard planet in the middle. Everything else remained behind.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but saw a chain of tumblr links about it:

Lexxy is currently campaigning a petition against Gaia Online for unlawfully plagarizing Homestuck in the form of purchasable in-game items that are near-exact copies of the kids' logos and the trolls' horn designs. If you are/were a player of Gaia Online and feel strongly about it, you can find the petition on their forums here.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 20, 2011

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CidGregor posted:

Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but saw a chain of tumblr links about it:

Lexxy is currently campaigning a petition against Gaia Online for unlawfully plagarizing Homestuck in the form of purchasable in-game items tat are near-exact copies of the kids' logos and the trolls' horn designs. If you are/were a player of Gaia Online and feel strongly about it, you can find the petition here.

Ahaha, Gaia.

Pretty sure they've been ripping off various anime, games, and comics for their items for ages now. Would be nice to see them taken down a peg, though.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

JingleJunction posted:

Who the gently caress is paying a hundred dollars right now for that banner advertisement.

$100/day if I understand PW correctly. The price has gone back down, so it was probably up for an hour or so (thus costing about $4.13 :v:).

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

CidGregor posted:

Lexxy is currently campaigning a petition against Gaia Online for unlawfully plagarizing Homestuck in the form of purchasable in-game items that are near-exact copies of the kids' logos and the trolls' horn designs. If you are/were a player of Gaia Online and feel strongly about it, you can find the petition on their forums here.

I've never been to Gaia so I don't know how it works. Is it like a MMO that you play in browser? And you can dress your player up in anime (and Homestuck) gear?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I've never been to Gaia so I don't know how it works. Is it like a MMO that you play in browser? And you can dress your player up in anime (and Homestuck) gear?
I think it's basically a forum with a bunch of stupid crap built into it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
As I was doing other things, thinking about how great Jake is, I had a bit of a horrifying thought.

"Gee willickers, that Jake chap's hobbies and to a lesser degree personality almost resemble some sort of mish mash of John and Vriskaaaaaaauuuuugggggh :frogsiren:"

The horror is not based on any belief that this is more than coincidence. No, it's about what the fans who come to the same realization will do with it :(

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hmmmm, I'm actually a little curious how this is going to go. On one hand, Homestuck fans tore down Newgrounds in under fifteen minutes. On the other hand, Gaia is a shambling monstrosity of a forum that averages a million posts a day, most of them presumably terrible.
:munch:

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Eh, I'm not sure it'll really go anywhere. They could just claim it's a parody and that's that, unless they're using RMT for those items. Then they may be sue-able.

We need an attorney in this thread, stat.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mr_Ham97 posted:

Eh, I'm not sure it'll really go anywhere. They could just claim it's a parody and that's that, unless they're using RMT for those items. Then they may be sue-able.

We need an attorney in this thread, stat.

IANAL yet, but I am in law school and have taken Copyrights. This is not qualified legal advice, and should not be taken as a substitute for consultation with an actual qualified attorney who specializes in this field.

As far as the bubbles go, the items in question are not parody, because they are not a commentary on the original work. Nor would they be considered "transformative" such that they would be considered a fair use. Whether the original works qualify as sufficiently original is a jury question, but one I'd expect Hussie to win, particularly because of the reproduction of the exact colors and the existence of the icons as a set. I think that he has a valid prima facie case, and that fair use does not apply (commercial use, non-transformative, the substance of the offending item is entirely composed of protected expression). However, I do wonder about whether a jury would be sympathetic; I don't have a great sense for how juries tend to break in this sort of case.

The horns are a tougher case, because I'm not sure that an element of a character taken in isolation is sufficiently delineated to qualify as copyrightable.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

The horns are a tougher case, because I'm not sure that an element of a character taken in isolation is sufficiently delineated to qualify as copyrightable.

If they sold Mario's hat with the trademark M on it it's sue-able. Most likely twelve candy-corn horns in the identical shape of twelve characters from the same comic they've already ripped off counts too.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is this thing in Jake's modus that takes up so much space, I wonder? Also, this modus looks fun.

ALSO UPDATE.

VVVVV: No, that's much smaller. Look a little more carefully.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 20, 2011

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Tollymain posted:

This modus looks fun.

It's basically the Diablo modus.

Also, it looks like he has some sort of Sburb/Ectobiology console.

EDIT: Whatever the huge thing is, there's basically no way it isn't getting prototyped.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 20, 2011

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm a weird person in that I actually really like inventory Tetris, so that modus is pretty much amazing.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008
I'm thinking more along the lines of the Resident Evil 4 inventory system.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tw1tchy posted:

If they sold Mario's hat with the trademark M on it it's sue-able. Most likely twelve candy-corn horns in the identical shape of twelve characters from the same comic they've already ripped off counts too.

Right, but "orangish gradient horns" is less distinctive than Mario's hat, and there were differences in the horns as compared to the trolls', while the bubbles were straight-up copying. I don't think Hussie has a copyright on all orangish gradient horns.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Is it the green sun? Please let it be the green sun.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

Captain Oblivious posted:

As I was doing other things, thinking about how great Jake is, I had a bit of a horrifying thought.

"Gee willickers, that Jake chap's hobbies and to a lesser degree personality almost resemble some sort of mish mash of John and Vriskaaaaaaauuuuugggggh :frogsiren:"

The horror is not based on any belief that this is more than coincidence. No, it's about what the fans who come to the same realization will do with it :(

I'm not seeing any Vriska in Jake, care to enlighten me? :shobon:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I was thinking Balder's Gate / Neverwinter Nights but Re4 works too. I think the huge object is gonna be something from the Frog Temple. Like a giant rock with hieroglyphs or something.

Crazy Option: Catchpalogued the Green Sun

Comedy Option: Catchpalogued Hussie's Ego :smug:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Modus shenanigans! Oh how I've missed you so. :unsmith:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Because he said that he didn't want to be caught with his pants down, I'm guessing it's the world's biggest belt.

Seriously though, maybe it's the planets that Jade had from the pre-scratch session and she gave them to Jake for some reason?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That is a big freaking card and a huge freaking inventory. I bet Jade could use that really efficiently.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So they arent living in the 20th century either. Neat. (well, neither are we, I guess!)

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
I'm betting that the huge object is going to be one of those flower-pods that opens up when the timer hits zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SynthOrange posted:

So they arent living in the 20th century either. Neat. (well, neither are we, I guess!)

Well, we know it's 11/11/11 in the post-Scratch universe.