Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
I can't imagine why they would feel it necessary to give her the test unless her blood came back RH negative. I'm RH negative and I told them that upfront, which they confirmed by testing my blood, then they had my husband go and get tested at his GP so we would know whether or not I needed the Rhogam. Sure enough, he is RH positive, so they scheduled me for the shot. I felt the risks of not having it far outweighed the risks otherwise, especially after hearing the stories of what my mom went through with her pregnancies (she's RH negative and doctors didn't think to give her Rhogam shots until she'd had several complications), so it was a no-brainer for me. I would definitely talk to your wife's OB and find out what they know and why they are giving it to her - They should have explained it all to you by now including a pamphlet or some information on RH sensitivity. If they're actually trying to do it without knowing what her blood type is, then yeah, I'd raise hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

yawnie posted:

I can't imagine why they would feel it necessary to give her the test unless her blood came back RH negative. I'm RH negative and I told them that upfront, which they confirmed by testing my blood, then they had my husband go and get tested at his GP so we would know whether or not I needed the Rhogam. Sure enough, he is RH positive, so they scheduled me for the shot. I felt the risks of not having it far outweighed the risks otherwise, especially after hearing the stories of what my mom went through with her pregnancies (she's RH negative and doctors didn't think to give her Rhogam shots until she'd had several complications), so it was a no-brainer for me. I would definitely talk to your wife's OB and find out what they know and why they are giving it to her - They should have explained it all to you by now including a pamphlet or some information on RH sensitivity. If they're actually trying to do it without knowing what her blood type is, then yeah, I'd raise hell.

It's Canada and the doctor has dealt with her for many years, she may have simply felt it better for my wife to not worry her too much about it. From my understanding around here the RhoGAM shot is given or suggested for all Rh- mothers no matter what the father is.

They didn't check my blood type yet but I'll be asking them to do so tomorrow morning before agreeing to the shot. Hopefully testing for Rh+ is a quick check.

So my understanding is correct then? If I'm Rh- then there's no reason for her to have the shot?

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
Assuming she IS Rh-negative, it's pretty unlikely that you're also Rh-negative. The frequency is, at maximum, 15% if you're Caucasian, even less if you aren't. If you ARE both Rh-negative, no, the shot is not necessary. Rh-incompatibility is VERY risky, however. Get tested if you want to, but know she'll probably need it if she is Rh-negative. The risks of getting the shot are seriously minimal, in any case.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

Melraidin posted:

So my understanding is correct then? If I'm Rh- then there's no reason for her to have the shot?

Yes, that is correct. You are most likely going to be Rh+ as being Rh- is fairly rare in any race, but it would be nice to get checked, just to be certain your wife needs the shot. She is most likely going to have to get it again after she delivers, and again for every subsequent pregnancy, so knowing with 100% certainty that it's necessary when the test for you is relatively simple and cheap is worth it, IMO.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

Beichan posted:

Assuming she IS Rh-negative, it's pretty unlikely that you're also Rh-negative. The frequency is, at maximum, 15% if you're Caucasian, even less if you aren't. If you ARE both Rh-negative, no, the shot is not necessary. Rh-incompatibility is VERY risky, however. Get tested if you want to, but know she'll probably need it if she is Rh-negative. The risks of getting the shot are seriously minimal, in any case.

Ah, good point about the likelihood of my being Rh+. I'll let her know beforehand just so she doesn't get her hopes up about not needing a shot.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet
This has sparked my interest to I've been searching the internets for risks of getting the RhoGAM shot but I haven't found anything that strikes me as a risk to the baby. The only things I've read against it are due to using thimerosal as a preservative but then I've also read that no company making the shot has used that since before 2001. Are there others I'm not finding?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

yawnie posted:

Yes, that is correct. You are most likely going to be Rh+ as being Rh- is fairly rare in any race, but it would be nice to get checked, just to be certain your wife needs the shot. She is most likely going to have to get it again after she delivers, and again for every subsequent pregnancy, so knowing with 100% certainty that it's necessary when the test for you is relatively simple and cheap is worth it, IMO.
I totally agree with this. I had to have the rhogam shot twice during this pregnancy bc of unexpected bleeding, and I was going to have to have it a third time, bc the people at the clinic thought it was dumb not to just get it instead of testing my husband. It turned out we're both O-, so I never have to worry about again. Totally worth it.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I have a tooth filling that has gotten really, really sensitive out of the blue. I've never had a problem with it, but now anything that I drink hurts when it touches that tooth. Is this one of those weird pregnancy things, or do I need to go see my dentist? I don't want to go to the dentist unnecessarily (because I'm a giant baby who hates the dentist).

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.

Mnemosyne posted:

I have a tooth filling that has gotten really, really sensitive out of the blue. I've never had a problem with it, but now anything that I drink hurts when it touches that tooth. Is this one of those weird pregnancy things, or do I need to go see my dentist? I don't want to go to the dentist unnecessarily (because I'm a giant baby who hates the dentist).

I had the same thing a couple weeks ago and finally went to the dentist last week. She replaced the filling and I feel LOADS better. Your teeth are more sensitive in pregnancy but I would recommend going to the dentist to make sure it's not a problem.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
Does gingivitis make sensitivity worse? Because there is specific pregnancy gingivitis. My gums were bleeding quite a bit until I started flossing more.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Well, our little one is here. I'm now the proud dad of a 9 pound, 7 ounce baby girl. She super cute and definitely has a great set of lungs that's she's more than happy to show off whenever she's not happy.

Baby and mom are doing great and we should be able to go home tomorrow.

So happy and proud right now :hellyeah:

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Congratulations! Those first few days are really something. So scary at first but it's such an awesome feeling when it finally hits you that yes, you CAN sustain this little person's life all on your own.

Oh, and an update on my preeclampsia nervousness, it turns out that my blood pressure is NOT, in fact, through the roof. The cuff I got to monitor myself at home was malfunctioning. Everything came up fine at the doctor's, BP is holding steady same as it's been ever since they put me on the medication. For some reason my cuff decided it wanted to put up numbers about 10-20 higher than it really is, on both sides, so that was pretty scary, but what a relief. Only nine more weeks to go, thank god, and really only like 5 weeks til I don't have to worry about it so much, if she has to come out at that point, it'll be alright.

Also being almost 8 months pregnant, and sick, and having a sick four-year-old is not a pleasant time. :sigh: And the husband has the nerve to complain that we better get well quickly because we're annoying him and keeping HIM up at night with our hacking and sniffling.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Mnemosyne posted:

Definitely go. I had to go last week because I had a tooth that was hurting pretty badly, and it turned out the nerve was dying and a little infected and I had to have a root canal :(

(I hate the dentist :smith:)

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
Had a midwife appointment today and during the exam part she said "you are having Braxton-Hicks contractions" (note I am at 33 weeks). My response was "really? Because I don't feel anything".

So now I am wondering, is it weird that I don't feel the contractions? I also have never felt this kid hiccup like so many other pregnant ladies mention. I do feel lots of regular movement and punching/kicking though so I know the kid is fine. Am I just a cold, heartless person who can only feel the sad flailing of her child? I am "out of touch with my body" or some hippy-answer?

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

Had a midwife appointment today and during the exam part she said "you are having Braxton-Hicks contractions" (note I am at 33 weeks). My response was "really? Because I don't feel anything".

So now I am wondering, is it weird that I don't feel the contractions? I also have never felt this kid hiccup like so many other pregnant ladies mention. I do feel lots of regular movement and punching/kicking though so I know the kid is fine. Am I just a cold, heartless person who can only feel the sad flailing of her child? I am "out of touch with my body" or some hippy-answer?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I laughed at "heartless person who only feels the sad flailing of her child". Count me in as another heartless person, I only also ever feel the sad flailing of my child. If I'm having braxton hicks at 34 weeks, I don't know it.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

I have Braxton Hicks all the time and most of the time I can only tell if I happen to put my hand on my belly. The worst I've heard people describe them as is 'uncomfortable'. So, no, you're not weird for not feeling them.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Prolonged Shame posted:

I have Braxton Hicks all the time and most of the time I can only tell if I happen to put my hand on my belly. The worst I've heard people describe them as is 'uncomfortable'. So, no, you're not weird for not feeling them.

Basically same as this. When I was in labor I didn't even realize it, either. I AM A MONSTER.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

At my last appointment the doctor asked if I was feeling any braxton-hicks contractions. I said that I didn't really know how they felt and she said "oh it's fine if you don't know, one less thing to worry about."

And I'm hoping that easy births are hereditary - I'm the firstborn and when my mom was pregnant with me, she left work thinking she was in labor, went home to sleep, woke up, went to the hospital and was 8 cm dilated. She delivered me easily and was out of the hospital in 4 hours. It's also been the only nice story I've heard. I've had to listen to my mother-in-law's stories about c-sections way too many times.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

I think I have the opposite problem. I'll suddenly get really crampy or feel a definite tightness in my abdomen, but when I put my hand to my belly, I just feel my usual soft tummy. Maybe I'm feeling way too low or something.

Also, the first time I felt her hiccup was around 35 weeks. I was sitting in a (casual, thankfully) presentation at work and suddenly jumped up, quickly excused myself to the staff room, and blurted, "My butt is pulsating!" People were bugging me about it before that and I was wondering if she was hiccuping and I just didn't know it. But I'm 38 1/2 weeks now and she definitely hiccups at least once a day. It feels exactly like hiccups but in my lower abdomen and butt.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
The reason I realized I was having BH is because one of them got "stuck" and my stomach stayed rock-hard for 2 hours. I was diagnosed with an irritable uterus. That is literally the medical term they gave it.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

That's exactly how I learned I was having Braxton-Hicks, too. I almost always get them when I go up or down the stairs, but most of the time, I can only tell that I'm having a BH because my belly feels firm like a soccer ball vs. squishy like normal. I also have trouble getting a full, deep breath while I'm having one, but I'm also ginormous and ready to pop at any moment, so that's kinda become normal these days.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
In the last week or so I've been having sudden, sharp, stabbing pains in the cervix region, mainly when I'm standing but today I'm having some while sitting. From what I'm reading this just means that kiddo is head-down and getting ready to launch. But is this any kind of indication that I might deliver early? I'm only 31 weeks along, but I have a scary feeling (which is probably just paranoia/hormones/knowing that I don't have everything done) that this kid isn't going to wait for his due date. Trying to breathe deep and relax, but I feel like I've been in a panic attack for the last couple days :(

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!
More Vision Q's.

I have been nearsighted pretty much my whole life. I have worn glasses then contacts since I was 8. My vision has not changed since I was 16 (I am 33 now)

Now I do know pregnant women can experience worsening vision that 9 times out of 10 corrects once baby is born, and I have experienced my vision worsening a bit. So of course I am waiting til well after baby comes to worry about that.

However... I am now finding that I am unable to see close up reading paperwork and books. Since I AM 33 and both of my parents have developed farsightedness right around their mid 30's, I am definitely wondering if this is also pregnancy related or if I'm just engaging in that wonderful thing called getting older.

I DO have a visit with my eye doctor next week to repair my glasses and a contact refill so I am definitely asking him but I like stories to hit me with them.

And since I know next to nothing about reading glasses... Should I pick up a cheap drugstore pair to hold me over til the baby is born? If so should I get one based on me wearing my contacts or nothing?? Or stfu and wait til next Monday and my visit with doctor eyeballs?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Doom Catcher posted:

And since I know next to nothing about reading glasses... Should I pick up a cheap drugstore pair to hold me over til the baby is born?

If you can find a pair that you're comfortable with, go for it, but they've always been not close enough for me. I have a really mild prescription, and drugstore glasses are never quite right and make me dizzy. Dizzy is the last thing you need right now.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!

Amykinz posted:

If you can find a pair that you're comfortable with, go for it, but they've always been not close enough for me. I have a really mild prescription, and drugstore glasses are never quite right and make me dizzy. Dizzy is the last thing you need right now.

Thanks! They're cheap so I guess I can try them out and no big loss if they stink or make me dizzy.

It was suggested elsewhere that I try the close up stuff without my contacts or glasses, but it didnt help. I had hope for a second!

Fake Edit: while I was typing, my eye doc returned my call (miracle!!!) so I asked him. He told me it could be the pregnancy or just deteriorating vision and then pretty much exactly what you said.. And to worry about a "real" pair or bifocals from him after baby settles into breastfeeding for a few months. He is also going to let me know if the drugstore glasses will work and what strength to try :)

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

MoCookies posted:

That's exactly how I learned I was having Braxton-Hicks, too. I almost always get them when I go up or down the stairs, but most of the time, I can only tell that I'm having a BH because my belly feels firm like a soccer ball vs. squishy like normal. I also have trouble getting a full, deep breath while I'm having one, but I'm also ginormous and ready to pop at any moment, so that's kinda become normal these days.

Today I learned that I apparently am also having BH because I notice this all the time. I didn't realize that's what it was.

I'm sick as a dog and I've gone from thinking, "gee I hope I don't have bronchitis or something" to thinking I loving hope this is bronchitis so I have a reason why I feel this way and nothing helps and they can give me some real medicine and make it go away. I'm at the doctor tomorrow and if they tell me to put on the humidifier and drink some loving tea I may lose it. I keep getting coughing and/or sneezing fits so bad that I piss myself. I can't sleep at night because I'm hacking up horrible things. This poo poo is ridiculous.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I've had Braxton Hicks since 20 weeks and I wish they were unnoticeable. Unfortunately they get uncomfortable and my belly gets rock hard all over. Now I'm having actual for real contractions and I'm wishing they were BH because at least they wouldn't hurt. The hiccups were super adorable when I started feeling them a few weeks ago but now they're not so much. Especially when I'm sitting and I can feel them in my cervix.

The doctor put me on meds for the contractions and bumped me down to part time at work to try and sort this new contraction business out. I noticed I'm still getting BH (mostly when I stand up and walk) but not as many real ones. However, I am getting some major swelling in my feet and I do believe that wearing flip flops to work will be happening very shortly.

Chicken McNobody, I have no idea about the sharp pain in the cervix thing but I'm just a day away from 31 weeks and I seriously don't think this kid is going to hold out to my due date. Someone mentioned today they thought she was going to be a Christmas baby and my response was "WTF, man! That's only a month away! I need the two I had planned on!". I think they might be onto something though. I swear she's going to claw her way out of my uterus sooner than later.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Chicken McNobody posted:

In the last week or so I've been having sudden, sharp, stabbing pains in the cervix region, mainly when I'm standing but today I'm having some while sitting. From what I'm reading this just means that kiddo is head-down and getting ready to launch. But is this any kind of indication that I might deliver early? I'm only 31 weeks along, but I have a scary feeling (which is probably just paranoia/hormones/knowing that I don't have everything done) that this kid isn't going to wait for his due date. Trying to breathe deep and relax, but I feel like I've been in a panic attack for the last couple days :(

You could be starting to efface, or the kiddo could be jabbing his bony little fingers into it. I know my son liked torturing me like that and even when it was nice and plugged up my cervix hurt like hell.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I went to a breastfeeding class last night and found it helpful and educational. Among other things, the lady taught us how to manually express milk from our breasts, which seems like it could be useful. So this morning I thought I would practice. I'm only 34 weeks, it's not like I'm expecting anything to come out. Silly me, one squeeze and I'm pretty sure I could have fed a baby! Squirt squirt colostrum everywhere. I'm not sure if I'm fascinated by or terrified of this new ability I have discovered.

Also, my baby stabs me in the cervix on a regular basis as well.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Thanks ladies for the backup, but especially bamzilla for making me spit water at my monitor and Seahag for reminding me that medicine is sometimes completely ridiculous.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Having my daughter sleep in my arms is :krad:

Before she was born I was all :stonk: because I'd never handled a newborn before or even been around them but it took me all of 5 minutes to get over that.

Now that I've held, snuggled, changed, fed and comforted her to sleep I can't believe how nervous I was.

Being a dad owns.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I had my baby, and he is awesome. Meet Nolan:

My husband keeps saying, "He's so little!" and I keep saying, "He's enormous! I can't believe I pushed that entire thing out of my lady parts."

The birth itself was WAY harder than I was expecting. I got to 8 cm fairly easily, but I ended up having to push for hours and hours. My midwives and husband were supportive and awesome, and eventually the little nugget came out. I had no idea I could physically work that hard or be in that much pain without just giving up or passing out. The rush of hormones immediately after Nolan was born was magnificent, though. All of a sudden, felt like a million bucks, and couldn't have cared less about how miserable I had been for the previous 18 hours. I'm still feeling pretty awesome, actually. :)

And for what it's worth, learning to hand express has been priceless. We've been having a hard time getting Nolan to breastfeed properly, so being able to feed him regardless of his sleepiness/laziness has been really nice.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

MoCookies posted:

I had my baby, and he is awesome. Meet Nolan:

My husband keeps saying, "He's so little!" and I keep saying, "He's enormous! I can't believe I pushed that entire thing out of my lady parts."

The birth itself was WAY harder than I was expecting. I got to 8 cm fairly easily, but I ended up having to push for hours and hours. My midwives and husband were supportive and awesome, and eventually the little nugget came out. I had no idea I could physically work that hard or be in that much pain without just giving up or passing out. The rush of hormones immediately after Nolan was born was magnificent, though. All of a sudden, felt like a million bucks, and couldn't have cared less about how miserable I had been for the previous 18 hours. I'm still feeling pretty awesome, actually. :)

And for what it's worth, learning to hand express has been priceless. We've been having a hard time getting Nolan to breastfeed properly, so being able to feed him regardless of his sleepiness/laziness has been really nice.

Congrats, he's adorable! :) Love the name. Haha, I thought the excact same thing when people said "aaw he's so tiny". For something that just came out of a vagina newborns are pretty big

And I hear you on the pain thing. Took me by surprise too. I remember thinking "surely it's not possible to be in this much pain without passing out?". :smith:

And high five, hand expressing buddy! I hand expressed for 4-5 days before my baby would suck properly. I hope you get good help and that he figures out latching soon. For what it's worth, mine was nursing like a champ by 2 weeks. Good luck!

e: be careful with bottles though - ideally you want to cup or spoon feed him the expressed milk. some babies manage to transition from bottle to boob, but some don't because it's easier to drink from a bottle. Babies are lazy.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Congrats! He's a handsome boy!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Congrats, MoCookies and family!

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Congrats!

Did you do anything that helped even a little with the pain? Like massages or changing positions? I'm hoping those kind of things will help a little at least.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Congratulations! He is so adorable! What was his weight and size.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Congrats, MoCookies! Look at those wide-open eyes!

I wanted to report that I also had my little dude, on November 9th! The great news is that he is very strong and healthy and awesome. Unfortunately, I had a very rough labor and delivery which did not work out anything like I'd planned. This involved:

- Hospital birth instead of birth center (went in for non-stress tests at 41 weeks + 1 day and amniotic fluid was was low)
- Induction instead of natural
- 24 hours of Cervadil
- 7 hours of Pitocin, but no cervical change
- Waters broken by my midwife
- Being hooked up to an IV, contraction monitor and fetal heart monitor the entire time I labored
- 9 hours of crazy Pitocin-fueled superlabor, then 45 minutes of pushing
- Episiotomy
- Hemorrhaging and bleeding out
- Suffered a rare complication during childbirth and separated my pelvic ring
- 5 days total of hospital stay (9am Monday the 7th - 8pm Friday the 11th)
- Unable to stand or walk for several days, gradually progressing from bedridden to wheelchair to using a walker, which I was finally able to do at 6 days postpartum and am still using now. Full recovery time was quoted at 3 months but upgraded to 1 month a few days ago after a doc visit
- Baby wasn't gaining weight, probably because of low milk production due to my pain and physical condition, and the fact that he's big and just needed more. Had to supplement with a little formula and now he's doing fine
- Breastfeeding extremely painful, nipples sore and cracked probably due to bad latching. Have been pumping milk while they heal. Lactation appointment tomorrow

BUT HEY, healthy baby, amirite? LOL. Despite the induction, I still had no pain meds or epidural, and all my postpartum requests were followed to the letter.

I just can't wait to be able to carry him around. :( It sucks to awkwardly care for him from the couch, although I'm more mobile every day, the pain is subsiding and I have come up with a lot of creative solutions. He's really cute, wonderfully calm and seems very smart (sorry, I'm not allowed to post pics). November 9th, 2011, 6:39AM, 9 pounds 11 ounces, 22 inches in length.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

The Young Marge posted:

I wanted to report that I also had my little dude, on November 9th! The great news is that he is very strong and healthy and awesome.

Congrats!

The Young Marge posted:

Despite the induction, I still had no pain meds or epidural

Ouch, jesus christ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Well, congrats to you Young Marge! I'm sorry it was such a long, scary sounding labor, but I'm really glad you're getting better and your little one is doing good.