Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, I was really hoping that would be replaced in 1.0.
I've edited the "win.txt" in the minecraft.jar to read:

quote:

§3I see the player you mean.

§2*farts*

Much better :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
To all these people complaining about the ending: What were you expecting as an "end" to Minecraft?

Syenite fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 20, 2011

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Shukaro posted:

To all these people complaining about the ending: What were you expecting as an "end" to Minecraft?

I don't think anyone was expecting an end, because it doesn't need one, as a multiplayer sandbox game. People were expecting some big new features to kick off the retail version and when they find that weird ending instead they just :psyduck: at that awful stream of conciousness as a 'reward' for the 15 minutes they had to waste 'fighting' the dragon.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
What kind of strategies and equipment do I need to take into the slenderdragon battle so that i emerge victorious?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Shukaro posted:

A photo of Notch in a teddy.

a starwar betamax posted:

What kind of strategies and equipment do I need to take into the slenderdragon battle so that i emerge victorious?

I read a little bit about it on the wiki and my next attempt to do it I'm going to take a pumpkin, a pick (just in case), a stack or two of gravel, and fill the rest of my inventory with eggs. Maybe pack a lunch and a healie or two.

redmercer fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 20, 2011

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Shukaro posted:

I would like a bunch of panning shots of stuff I've made while chill music plays and credits scroll.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Shukaro posted:

Kill the dragon, credits roll, respawn?

There doesn't have to be any text at all. In fact, in a game without characters or a story, where all the interaction is between the player and the randomly generated world, it would make a lot more thematic sense for the ending to... not be in text form, but just be gameplay to the end.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Shukaro posted:

What were you expecting as an "end" to Minecraft?

What were we expecting as an end to a more or less completely open ended construction sandbox game? I dunno, what do you expect as an "end" to a box of legos? You forget to put it away after you're done playing and the dog eats it and has to get put down. Sometimes a game is better off without an end.

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby
I don't know what happened here:

Can fire do this now? It's not because of a texture pack.
Edit: The trees and the grass are all black. I looked up "black trees in minecraft" and I didn't get anything.

Blackbird Fly fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 21, 2011

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

To be fair, the fact that there's an end is a product of the fact that they decided to stick a fairly linear game in Minecraft. It was generally referred to as the "adventure update." That's what the nether fortresses and strongholds and The End were all about. It was to give you a nice gamey goal. The fact that there are endgame areas and end bosses is not bad at all.

I mean, were this just pure legos, it would just be creative mode. Creative mode, indeed, should not have an end.

I think when people complain about the end, they're complaining about that absolutely insane 10 minutes of pretentious rambling.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Blackbird Fly posted:

I don't know what happened here:

Can fire do this now? It's not because of a texture pack.

Do what now? Looks like regular swampland to me.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

redmercer posted:

A photo of Notch in a teddy.

I read a little bit about it on the wiki and my next attempt to do it I'm going to take a pumpkin, a pick (just in case), a stack or two of gravel, and fill the rest of my inventory with eggs. Maybe pack a lunch and a healie or two.

I'd personally bring a bunch of snow cubes and pumpkins, since snowballs hurt the dragon, and you could form your own army of snow golems to do battle. Also you can then mine their snow trails for more snowballs to throw yourself and/or craft into more golems. Plus, what's not to like about your own personal army?

In other news, I finally updated my texture pack from 1.7 to 1.0!

I wanted to do an alien world pack since most of the ones I'd found were pretty poor and just seemed more recolors than something actually different. Admittedly it's a bit quirky, but I had a lot of fun with it and it is pretty alien compared to the defaults.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Boat posted:

I'd personally bring a bunch of snow cubes and pumpkins, since snowballs hurt the dragon, and you could form your own army of snow golems to do battle. Also you can then mine their snow trails for more snowballs to throw yourself and/or craft into more golems. Plus, what's not to like about your own personal army?

I wanted to do an alien world pack since most of the ones I'd found were pretty poor and just seemed more recolors than something actually different. Admittedly it's a bit quirky, but I had a lot of fun with it and it is pretty alien compared to the defaults.

What's that yellow-and-purple stuff next to the staircase? And what's the green mesh next to the trees? Both of those things seem very uncomfortable to look at.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 21, 2011

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I haven't touched this game since Halloween - did they ever fix Endermen "stare" hitboxes? When last I played, Endermen didn't aggro in SMP unless you stared about a foot over their heads. Is this still the case?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
So if bows break now, why the gently caress can't I enchant them?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Shukaro posted:

Probably getting a rad artifact and some special building materials? I don't know, getting a loving red pick that carves out blocks in the shape of Notch's head would be a more appropriate "ending" to Minecraft.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
It should be noted that running water no longer "drips" through a single layer of glass blocks. Which is way cool, since my library now no longer has a drippy ceiling and I didn't have to go through the effort of double-glazing.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

gravyflood posted:

What's that yellow-and-purple stuff next to the staircase? And what's the green mesh next to the trees? Both of those things seem very uncomfortable to look at.

Yeah, that's minecraft's lack of antialiasing and/or mipmapping for you. Those are cacti next to the stairs and glass up at the top.

Also, if you grabbed it, grab it again, just fixed some issues with the mobs with glowing eyes. Seems between 1.7 and 1.0 the eye overlay textures changed from needing the transparent sections transparent to needing the transparent sections to be black.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm noticing Creepers don't seem to do as much damage now. Before they would totally eat a hole into the ground when they exploded and the splash damage would hurt bad. Now, they only break out a couple blocks, and you seem to take much less damage unless they're right on top of you. And I'm wearing a full iron armor set, so when they ARE right on top of me now, I only lose a heart or half a heart.

Also god drat this cave under my house is even bigger than I thought, and I thought it was loving huge before. It just keeps going, spreading further and going deeper. It's now opened into a room with a ceiling so high, I can't even see it, so I have to set up dirt towers to place torches so enemies don't spawn from the sky. Then I gotta go check out the bajillion other legs of the cave filled with rivers and lava and hopefully find some diamond.

Also maybe I should start figuring out have minecarts work.

Are they any good "instructional" playthroughs of this game on YouTube? Meaning, ones where you can see a person doing productive things to get an idea of what to do in your own game? I watched the Yogscast stuff, but they turned into a story about a thing and that's not helpful.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Are they any good "instructional" playthroughs of this game on YouTube? Meaning, ones where you can see a person doing productive things to get an idea of what to do in your own game? I watched the Yogscast stuff, but they turned into a story about a thing and that's not helpful.

This, please!

Shukaro posted:

Uh...NOT a wall of text in a game that's easy to understand with no verbal cues or dialog, how about.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

gravyflood posted:

This, please!

Uh...NOT a wall of text in a game that's easy to understand with no verbal cues or dialog, how about.

I can't believe there isn't a good one on YouTube already. If there isn't, maybe I should put one together.

TattoosAndTenacity
Jul 5, 2006
Like boots or hearts...
I just bought the retail of this game and "Paul's" tutorials which are linked on the Minecraft main site are fantastic. Went from surviving the first night all the way to me creating pimped-out mansions and spelunking through the depths of natural caverns in the hopes of the infamous Red Stone.

You can watch them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/paulsoaresjr

Really enjoying this "game" so far. I honestly, vainly maybe, thought this game was just too esoteric and a time sink to get into it. The whole survival element is just addicting as hell. I've already had a few "man, I've been mining for a while... lets see what time it is... HOLY poo poo it's dusk! Run! Forest! Run!" moments.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Boat posted:

I'm really upset I'm only seeing this for the first time now. This is incredible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jamesman posted:

It's now opened into a room with a ceiling so high, I can't even see it, so I have to set up dirt towers to place torches so enemies don't spawn from the sky.

Enemies can't spawn in thin air, aside from Ghasts in the Nether. You don't need to light the ceiling or empty air, just horizontal surfaces.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

Enemies can't spawn in thin air, aside from Ghasts in the Nether. You don't need to light the ceiling or empty air, just horizontal surfaces.

Well, until Notch decides to make a secret update to spider spawning anyway.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Can you imagine being a severe autistic, and the Minecraft ending was the closest thing to a spiritual epiphany you ever had in your life?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Danzou posted:

Can you imagine being a evere autistic, and seeing the Minecraft ending was the closest thing to a spiritual epiphany you had ever had in your life?

Spergs and crazies have had epiphanies over Sonic and Final Fantasy 7. Not too big of a stretch, since those games somehow manage to have worse writing.

In all seriousness, I hope not.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

Really? Then I have more exploring to do, because they're coming from SOMEWHERE close to this room that doesn't have any light. The ceiling is high enough that maybe somewhere, there's another little room that they're dropping down from or something. :sigh:

Maybe I'll set up stairs and a second (and third?) floor to segment this area and really chip away at it.

I'l check out Paul's videos, thanks. All the videos I ended up finding in my own searches were people with ADD, and their play style reflected as such. I just want to see how other people handle spelunking and setting up tracks and housing and productive mechanisms.

Not "I'm gonna put this rock here oh there's a tree gonna cut that wait what was I doing oh yeah gonna put some more rocks down and oh yeah I think it'd be cool if I had some lava pouring down my house hey what happens with I pour a bucket of lava and a bucket of water next to each other I'm gonna go look for some water and try it now oh wait it's night out let me finish my house and I need coal for torches because this is the first day and I have no coal I'm going to dig a hole straight down to the bottom of the map nope no coal here now I gotta fill it back up oh yeah my house man."

Also ALL these people made comments that they also had Call of Duty videos that they were taking a break from to do some Minecraft videos.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Some people on my server actually found some slimes, what a relief!

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Jamesman posted:

Really? Then I have more exploring to do, because they're coming from SOMEWHERE close to this room that doesn't have any light. The ceiling is high enough that maybe somewhere, there's another little room that they're dropping down from or something. :sigh:

If there is a ledge up there, they may be spawning on that and dropping down. If you don't feel like going crazy with the lighting, just make some half-height slab blocks and pave over the problem spots with those. Creatures don't appear to be able to spawn on them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Now that XP actually has a use I'm glad I didn't destroy those zombie spawners. I'm trying to figure out the best design to funnel them all to a single square where I can hit through through a gap in the wall and then collect the XP.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Maybe I'll set up stairs and a second (and third?) floor to segment this area and really chip away at it.

I'l check out Paul's videos, thanks. All the videos I ended up finding in my own searches were people with ADD, and their play style reflected as such. I just want to see how other people handle spelunking and setting up tracks and housing and productive mechanisms.

Not "I'm gonna put this rock here oh there's a tree gonna cut that wait what was I doing oh yeah gonna put some more rocks down and oh yeah I think it'd be cool if I had some lava pouring down my house hey what happens with I pour a bucket of lava and a bucket of water next to each other I'm gonna go look for some water and try it now oh wait it's night out let me finish my house and I need coal for torches because this is the first day and I have no coal I'm going to dig a hole straight down to the bottom of the map nope no coal here now I gotta fill it back up oh yeah my house man."

Also ALL these people made comments that they also had Call of Duty videos that they were taking a break from to do some Minecraft videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bh4EexJO4I&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SPE005D335B57338D1

They are less tutorial videos and more a newbie learning things for himself in the beginning, but he isn't obnoxious to listen to.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Beard Yawn posted:

I'm really upset I'm only seeing this for the first time now. This is incredible.

Glad you dig it. It's a real love-it-or-hate-it kind of pack. I'm going to be doing a few minor updates in the next few days, I'm still not entirely happy with how the bookcases look, the enchantment table's book could use some tweaking, and the enchanting interface needs some plates for where the text shows up on it. Not sure how I missed that one as all the other GUI elements have them.

MikeJF posted:

Now that XP actually has a use I'm glad I didn't destroy those zombie spawners. I'm trying to figure out the best design to funnel them all to a single square where I can hit through through a gap in the wall and then collect the XP.

I just found a skeleton dungeon and I'm super psyched because now I can stop farming chickens. gently caress farming chickens.

Anyhow, I found out an interesting mechanic that's great for farming XP. I set up the usual mob farm with water driving the mobs into a lava blade, but left a space by the blade so I can whack at them. Turns out, (for skeletons at least) if you hit them only once with a diamond sword, the game counts that as a kill when the lava finishes them off, and you still get the XP!

There's a ton of videos/tutorials for lava-blade mob farms, just set it up so the blade part is right near where you stand to collect the drops and you can farm XP, or just AFK and farm drops as usual.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think if you hit them even once, with anything, they'll still drop XP. Might save you uses on the diamond sword.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I ground out 20 some levels and spent 18 of them to get Knockback II on a diamond sword. Except that the creeper AI is hosed so they'll still explode sometimes, and it makes fighting skeletons the most aggravating thing on earth. It makes fighting zombies kind of annoying too, because it launches them so far away. Basically I spent 18 levels to make my sword worse.

I started just getting level 1-3 enchants on my picks/shovels and it's always durability I and speed I, sometimes together.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I love how the ending even completely broke Simon and Lewis, who give notch the benefit of the doubt in 99% of situations. And even when they don't, they don't outright go "what the gently caress is this bullshit" like they did in that video.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
So what's the best way to get a particular enchantment on any one tool? I just want a feather-touch tool with which to pick up things.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
To a certain extent I love farming mobs, the challenge of figuring out efficient designs appeals to my OCD. But on the other hand I feel like I am cheating the system and I generally stop using it pretty quickly after I create one.

Also I found enough diamond for an enchantment table and a jukebox! Its a good day :)

So as far as choosing which enchantment to go with of the three, its completely random and I should just choose whichever one has the highest number right?

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 21, 2011

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Jamesman posted:

I made a video for the LP forum to show people around what I'd built, and I was going to continue to show some survival gameplay, but there seemed to be a lack of interest there. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgDD6nECT64

If there's enough interest in carrying on, I can do that. I just assumed YouTube was full of Minecraft videos and I was just adding a drop to the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Notch is tweeting about one of the guests who dropped Fbombs (I assume on stage) and won't be getting invited back to the Con. Any idea who it is?

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 21, 2011