Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Does widget locker ICS lock screen act and look the same as the one that is coming with ics? As I might just wait and save my money if it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Since moving to a non-Sense rom, I've actually been missing the "Mirror" app that was basically using the front-facing camera without the ability to take pictures.

Is there anything similar on the market? I've searched but only found gimmick apps that don't use the camera.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Krittick posted:

Since moving to a non-Sense rom, I've actually been missing the "Mirror" app that was basically using the front-facing camera without the ability to take pictures.

Is there anything similar on the market? I've searched but only found gimmick apps that don't use the camera.

The camera app should have the ability to switch to the front camera unless they don't have support for the front camera in your ROM.

Hologram
Nov 2, 2006

:chillpill:

Mega Comrade posted:

Does widget locker ICS lock screen act and look the same as the one that is coming with ics? As I might just wait and save my money if it does.

No, it does not. Source: I've used AOSP ICS on the Nexus S.

Widgetlocker is a great application for getting your lock screen to do exactly what you want.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Hologram posted:

No, it does not. Source: I've used AOSP ICS on the Nexus S.

Widgetlocker is a great application for getting your lock screen to do exactly what you want.

Awesome, thank you.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

900ftjesus posted:

The camera app should have the ability to switch to the front camera unless they don't have support for the front camera in your ROM.

Yeah it does but I'm looking for an app that specifically doesn't allow you to take a picture. With the camera app I'll end up barely touching the screen and it'll take a picture. The HTC mirror app would auto-start with the front camera, and you didn't have to worry about accidentally taking a picture. It's a small annoyance that I can't find a clone but maybe I'm just in the minority in seeing how useful the app was. Oh well. :)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Amazing thing #57493 that ES File Explorer can do that I just now found:

Long press on a file > Properties > Show Checksum > check method > Calculate

:aaaaa:

No more having to gently caress with Windows' lovely fciv sum checker

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Amazing thing #57493 that ES File Explorer can do that I just now found:

Long press on a file > Properties > Show Checksum > check method > Calculate

:aaaaa:

No more having to gently caress with Windows' lovely fciv sum checker

ES File Explorer can literally do anything (except open pdf files). I don't know if it's a brand new feature, but long pressing on the buttons on the toolbar do different things. I can't believe this is a free app.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

ES File Explorer can literally do anything (except open pdf files). I don't know if it's a brand new feature, but long pressing on the buttons on the toolbar do different things. I can't believe this is a free app.

Between the dropbox syncing and the checksum calculator I'm blown away and yeah I agree, I can't believe it's free. I would easily give them monies.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Recently I've been digging ES's music and video players.

They're dirt simple, but that's what I want. ES's music player is a very simple folder player and has replaced MortPlayer for that purpose. ES's video player, unlike stock, remembers the position of a video if I cut away for a moment, tolerates playing in any orientation (not just one), and doesn't gently caress with my backlight levels.

ES's text editor is also the only one I use on my phone and does a pretty darn good job for those cases where "I just want to edit some text" and don't need a specialized app. Hell, I guess ES is half of what I do in Android.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Two things it can't do that I wish it could: 1. Modify permissions, 2. Create a Samba share

Permissions I seldom need but sometimes do and hate to have to use Terminal just for that, and being able to make a Samba share I've never needed until I found out Lion isn't so good at doing them.

But other that that, yeah, ES is something for which I would happily pay. It's doubly nice that the dev is responsive if not quick when it comes to addressing problems.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Two things it can't do that I wish it could: 1. Modify permissions, 2. Create a Samba share

Permissions I seldom need but sometimes do and hate to have to use Terminal just for that, and being able to make a Samba share I've never needed until I found out Lion isn't so good at doing them.

But other that that, yeah, ES is something for which I would happily pay. It's doubly nice that the dev is responsive if not quick when it comes to addressing problems.

I'm curious why it can't do permissions. I think maybe I'll email the dev about that. In the meantime, Root Explorer can do permissions.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm curious why it can't do permissions. I think maybe I'll email the dev about that. In the meantime, Root Explorer can do permissions.
He's a good guy, you should ask.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
ES does permissions and has for a long time.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Oops, BMG is right, even if he didn't bother to explain it. You have to turn on Root Explorer in the settings. Tough titties if you're not rooted but why would you need to deal with permissions otherwise?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Oops, BMG is right, even if he didn't bother to explain it. You have to turn on Root Explorer in the settings. Tough titties if you're not rooted but why would you need to deal with permissions otherwise?

Ah I turned on root the second I installed it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

ES does permissions and has for a long time.
WHOA are you serious? I don't have my phone on me at the moment but if you don't mind, how do you do it? Long press a file and there's a Properties or Permissions chooser?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Long press a file and there's a Properties or Permissions chooser?

Yes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes.

My phone just got home and it's been updated since I've seen it. I found the permissions screen, and man this app gets better every time I open it.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Documents To Go is free today. Might want to grab it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Someone started back porting the ICS keyboard for use with 2.2/2.3

https://market.android.com/details?id=inputmethod.latin.ported&hl=en

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is a great keyboard, using the entire screen for suggestions was an awesome idea.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

internet celebrity posted:

This is a great keyboard, using the entire screen for suggestions was an awesome idea.

I love it and I'm super relieved they kept the punctuation suggestions after a space.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Is the Amazon store completely retarded for anyone else since the last update or so? If you have an update, you select it and it starts to download. Once it downloads you get the standard Android "Install dis poo poo" screen. After it installs, you get the other normal "Install complete" screen with the option to open the freshly installed application or dismiss the screen. Then for some reason you get prompted to install again (replace) as well as getting a notification letting you know again that the fucker was installed that says "Tap to launch." Oh, and if you decide to download something that requires wifi and you're not on it, the downloading notification is stuck there until you connect to wifi and download or clear data for the Appstore. I guess they tried to make it easier but it just throws up a bunch more poo poo that gets in the goddamn way.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I guess they tried to make it easier but it just throws up a bunch more poo poo that gets in the goddamn way.

This. It seriously irritates me to no end. I kinda felt bad about only using Amazon for the Free App of the Day but now it just seals the deal.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kind of a dumb question, but how do you reply all to a mass text? I'm using Go SMS Pro and I don't see the option anywhere. Does it reply all automatically when I reply to the sender?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is the Amazon store completely retarded for anyone else since the last update or so? If you have an update, you select it and it starts to download. Once it downloads you get the standard Android "Install dis poo poo" screen. After it installs, you get the other normal "Install complete" screen with the option to open the freshly installed application or dismiss the screen. Then for some reason you get prompted to install again (replace) as well as getting a notification letting you know again that the fucker was installed that says "Tap to launch." Oh, and if you decide to download something that requires wifi and you're not on it, the downloading notification is stuck there until you connect to wifi and download or clear data for the Appstore. I guess they tried to make it easier but it just throws up a bunch more poo poo that gets in the goddamn way.

I've had serious issues since they kind of redesigned it a bit. I've had to uninstall it numerous times, it's a piece of poo poo.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
How does licensing for the Free App of the Day work, anyway? My wife just got a Nook and she's going to want today's app down the road but she's not rooted yet so no Amazon Market. Can I sign into the Amazon Market App with multiple profiles and get multiple keys that way?

I wish we could just log in through our existing Amazon.com accounts and click a checkbox each day there's a cool app and say "add this license to my Amazon account please".

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You can modify how strong you want the vibrations, I love this keyboard for this feature alone.

However, the sound is pretty low for me when hitting a key and I can't find the developer's e-mail anywhere to let them know that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Splizwarf posted:

How does licensing for the Free App of the Day work, anyway? My wife just got a Nook and she's going to want today's app down the road but she's not rooted yet so no Amazon Market. Can I sign into the Amazon Market App with multiple profiles and get multiple keys that way?

I wish we could just log in through our existing Amazon.com accounts and click a checkbox each day there's a cool app and say "add this license to my Amazon account please".
Set http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/ref=topnav_storetab_mas?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011 as your homepage. Click "get app" everyday. Download whenever is convenient.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can modify how strong you want the vibrations, I love this keyboard for this feature alone.

However, the sound is pretty low for me when hitting a key and I can't find the developer's e-mail anywhere to let them know that.

Try his thread on XDA.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ilkhan posted:

Set http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/ref=topnav_storetab_mas?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011 as your homepage. Click "get app" everyday. Download whenever is convenient.

That's awesome. Anytime I've seen an aotd I want for later I've always installed from the phone, let it download then cancelled before it actually installs then have to delete the apk from sdcard/android/amazon... This is ever so slightly easier!

ICS kbd force closing on me within 45 seconds and the top row of keys not showing pop ups when I hit them. back to go keyboard for a while I guess. (it has customizable vibe duration too)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ilkhan posted:

:hfive:

Thanks, man!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Try his thread on XDA.

Awesome. Thanks!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

How does licensing for the Free App of the Day work, anyway?
You can use the same Amazon account on a stupid number of devices. I don't know the actual limit, if any, but it's at least five.

My wife and I share an Amazon account, so we share apps too. I'm the only one who has to "purchase" them, and they can be installed on her phone anytime thereafter.

That's the general case anyways. I'm not sure about Documents to Go since it looks like they're doing their own licensing foo.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
loving Canada, is all I have to say about the Amazon apps.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Any suggestions on the best app/widget to monitor minute usage on the phone?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ilkhan posted:

If you're a Verizon user, MyVerizon will tell you all this stuff. I'd imagine there's something similar for other carriers.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

I haven't tried the ICS keyboard, but GO Keyboard can do both of these things. I quite like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

ilkhan posted:

I use Phone Usage, which also gives you text and data-usage info as well.

edit: Apparently people have been saying that data-usage is inaccurate. :/

BathroomTile fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 22, 2011

• Locked thread