Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
So I've been watching through Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, and I'm enjoying it greatly. The increased focus on the characters and their relationships is really nice, and I like how they don't immediately resort to the monster being real to make the mysteries interesting.

Also Fred is like Dopey Batman :allears:

Speaking of:

muscles like this? posted:

And they canceled the show to do a more serious version!

This makes me so sad. Batman is always so serious in everything else that the lighthearted feel of Brave and the Bold was a nice change of pace. It was as if the 60s series had respected its audience's intelligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Rhinoceraptor posted:

This makes me so sad. Batman is always so serious in everything else that the lighthearted feel of Brave and the Bold was a nice change of pace. It was as if the 60s series had respected its audience's intelligence.

The pitch for the next series, Beware The Batman, has him teaming with Katana and a younger, rifle-toting Alfred. Because as someone who has been rabidly anti-gun for like 70 years, you want a sniper as your sidekick.

...Yeah.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
I thought you said Zatanna for a second and got excited.

:smith:

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 20, 2011

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Never mind that we've had Serious Batman in animated form for like 20 years before B&TB, and none of them have really been that good since the first series, it's about time we grimdarked everything again and made Alfred the sidekick for good measure!

Cartoon Network, where anything worth a drat gets cancelled in 4 seasons or less and all the terrible poo poo goes on for years.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Batman was way better than anyone ever gave it credit for :(

e: And Batman Beyond was great, too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sockser posted:

I wasn't even thinking of Batman Beyond because it's so far removed from classic Batman that comparing the two only serves to hurt it. But I agree that it's a great show. The Batman I can't agree with you on, though.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I haven't really seen much of Brave and the Bold but I've seen clips of Aquaman from it and I just gotta say that is the best incarnation of Aquaman ever. Although I was very disappointed in the episode with Space Ghost they did not get George Lowe :colbert:

Also seconding the Scooby Doo comment from the top of the page. The episodes I've seen were pretty fun and there's something kinda cute about the little bows in Velma's hair.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Good Listener posted:

I haven't really seen much of Brave and the Bold but I've seen clips of Aquaman from it and I just gotta say that is the best incarnation of Aquaman ever. Although I was very disappointed in the episode with Space Ghost they did not get George Lowe :colbert:

I was disappointed as well until I learned they got the original voice of Space Ghost.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sockser posted:

You know when The Batman became great? The moment it stopped caring about being in the Shadow of B:TAS and embraced itself as it's own thing and accepting that, indeed, it's perfectly OK for the concept of a man running around in a bat costume to be a tad silly. Not Nacho eating silly, mind, that's just ridiculous.

Batman doesn't eat Nachos :colbert:

Seconding Beyond being great but the one show I can never get around to seeing is Superman.
If only people would stop dicking around with the UK rights to Superman for more than five seconds I could form an opinion on that.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 20, 2011

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

THANK YOU. I've been saying this for years. Yeah, it has some dumb character designs, but if you look past that, (and ignore the first season which I will admit is pretty bad) then it's a pretty good show. People just look at Rasta Joker and write the series off immediately.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Sockser posted:

Xiaolin Showdown is a better show than anyone gives it credit for :unsmith:

Man, I really miss Xiaolin Showdown, it was light hearted but still had (as much as I hate using this word) epic storylines, like the one where Omi time travels.

quote:

CODE LYOKO TALK
You know, back when the first season started, it was a horribly formulaic show, I remember mocking it a lot with my bro and such. And then the second season happened, when they started delving into the origins of Lyoko, the supercomputer, Aelita, and all that. It was kinda LOST like in a sense, with mysteries added every other episode. I remember thinking it was legitimately well written.

BTW, I remember earlier this year on France I saw a glass free 3D TV showing some Lyoko animations, is it still running or something? I'd like to know what was the deal with Franz Hopper.

EDIT: Hey, anyone remember The Zeta Project? I suddenly want to watch it again.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

ArfJason posted:

You know, back when the first season started, it was a horribly formulaic show, I remember mocking it a lot with my bro and such. And then the second season happened, when they started delving into the origins of Lyoko, the supercomputer, Aelita, and all that. It was kinda LOST like in a sense, with mysteries added every other episode. I remember thinking it was legitimately well written.

BTW, I remember earlier this year on France I saw a glass free 3D TV showing some Lyoko animations, is it still running or something? I'd like to know what was the deal with Franz Hopper.

That's what honestly kept me watching. It started getting good, but then it got lost again, no pun intended. Like, nothing really ever came of it. And the fact that I can't remember the conclusion should probably tell you something. It has ended though. So no idea about a 3d conversion.

edit-- Speaking of French Co-productions, anyone else really like Oban Star Racers?

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Magnus Condomus posted:

edit-- Speaking of French Co-productions, anyone else really like Oban Star Racers?

Yes--but again, not a fan of the character designs.

Oh, and I also enjoyed the Zeta Project, back in the day :).

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Good Listener posted:

I basically thought the same as your first sentence but then I found out that Ambush Bug was in an episode and now I'm finding out that Space Ghost is in an episode and now I have to watch the entire show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Silentman0 posted:

I basically thought the same as your first sentence but then I found out that Ambush Bug was in an episode and now I'm finding out that Space Ghost is in an episode and now I have to watch the entire show.

They also did a musical episode with NPH as the "Music Meister" who controls people through elaborate song and dance numbers. Frankly they did some crazy stuff on the show like an adaptation of "Emperor Joker," an episode devoted to Superdickery and the surprisingly dark "Chill of the Night" where Batman finally confronted the man who killed his parents. With Kevin Conroy as The Phantom Stranger and Mark Hamill as The Specter acting respectively as Batman's conscience and desire for vengeance.

Basically, Batman: The Brave and the Bold works a lot better in practice than it sounds on paper.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So I went to find out which episode Space Ghost was in, which lead me to this. This show is amazing. :allears:

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

TwoPair posted:

THANK YOU. I've been saying this for years. Yeah, it has some dumb character designs, but if you look past that, (and ignore the first season which I will admit is pretty bad) then it's a pretty good show. People just look at Rasta Joker and write the series off immediately.

It just seems like they couldn't nail down a consistent theme, though. When they started it was all about "Batman's early solo adventures! Learning the ropes!" Then, most likely due to studio/network pressure they start bringing in the sidekicks...

And the most ironic thing being that this show was one of the causes of the infamous "Bat-Embargo" on Justice League... of course, as soon as that show was cancelled, The Batman started featuring the League in every drat episode. I guess the execs were worried that Martian Manhunter toys just wouldn't sell without a cartoon tie-in, but it betrayed what the series was supposed to be about.

:goonsay: Lotta words for a series I've barely seen, but it just didn't have a producer with a clear vision like James Tucker.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

So I went to find out which episode Space Ghost was in, which lead me to this. This show is amazing. :allears:

Shaggy, punches out, The Joker. :colbert:

Magnus Condomus posted:

Me. It's one of the few Faux-Anime that actually got that there was something beyond Big Eyes, Small Mouth to making a good cartoon with Asian aesthetics. Real shame the releases were a tad crap though.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 21, 2011

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Honestly I think my favorite part of The Batman was that it finally did something with character designs, which is kinda my biggest gripe with DC comics in general. The costumes so rarely get updated that it all feels kinda stale to me compared to Marvel where every few years the costumes get tweaked just a little bit.

Spandex Riddler was awesome, Juggalo Joker was awesome, creepy skinny Clayface was awesome

Penguin was pretty standard I guess v :) v

gently caress the haters

e: giant red Bane was awesome too.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Magnus Condomus posted:

That's what honestly kept me watching. It started getting good, but then it got lost again, no pun intended. Like, nothing really ever came of it. And the fact that I can't remember the conclusion should probably tell you something. It has ended though. So no idea about a 3d conversion.
Apparently a live action version (with the Xana stuff still being CGI) is in the works, or was at least being discussed earlier this year.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It was good to see Batman: The Brave and the Bold take the campy, humorous angle of the series. It's too bad to see it go. Also, Neil Patrick Harris as the musical villain is a must-watch episode.

In other news: this week, the '90s Are All That block is going to be showing mini-marathons starting at midnight and ending at 4 am.

Monday: Salute Your Shorts
Tuesday: Rugrats
Wednesday: Kenan and Kel
Thursday: All That
Friday: Hey Arnold!
Saturday: Kenan and Kel
Sunday: All That

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

Apparently a live action version (with the Xana stuff still being CGI) is in the works, or was at least being discussed earlier this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Lyoko posted:

On 31 May 2011, production company MoonScoop revealed on Facebook[2] that the show is returning with a fifth season Code Lyoko: Evolution, set to air in 2012. The season will be 26 episodes long and contain a mixture of live action and CGI.[3][4]

Huh. That's something. I can't say I've seen many successful CGI/live action kids shows that were good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Was there any part of that show that wasn't completely awesome?

Y-Hat posted:

It was good to see Batman: The Brave and the Bold take the campy, humorous angle of the series. It's too bad to see it go. Also, Neil Patrick Harris as the musical villain is a must-watch episode.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Real shame the releases were a tad crap though.
I was thinking of picking up Shout! Factory's release of the series, what exactly are the problems with it?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm talking about the UK one which had a bunch of edits to stutter frames to prevent the poor kiddywinks from epilepsy or something (This is annoyingly consistent across all of Disney XD/Jetix's DVD's, thier Shaman King disks (One volume, up to episode 8, sigh) had content cuts with the majority of them involving Anna slapping people) and didn't have much in the way of anything.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm talking about the UK one which had a bunch of edits to stutter frames to prevent the poor kiddywinks from epilepsy or something (This is annoyingly consistent across all of Disney XD/Jetix's DVD's, thier Shaman King disks (One volume, up to episode 8, sigh) had content cuts with the majority of them involving Anna slapping people) and didn't have much in the way of anything.
Oh, so I guess the Shout! Factory collection's fine then?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

Oh, so I guess the Shout! Factory collection's fine then?

I wouldn't know, dood.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So the Generator Rex Ben 10 cross over was actually a good episode. It was both a good Generator episode, as well as the first good episode of Ben 10 since the original series. Ben looks so much better in the Generator art style.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
The new My Little Pony contained more Batman references than the average issue of Batman.

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 26, 2011

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rhinoceraptor posted:

The new My Little Pony contained more Batman references than the average issue of Batman.

It also apparently was not liked by the fans. They hated this episode with such an unbound fury that would rival ten thousand suns. I know the writer did scripts for Spongebob(which this episode felt strangely like, only to find that out later). There was no payoff for the jokes, everyone and everything acted incredibly out of character, and they were all needlessly obnoxious dicks to each other(like how Blu was later on in Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends).

They did however at the end reference the worst episode of season 1(Feeling Pinkie Keen) which did suffer all of the same symptoms of this episode.

I know the next two episodes feature the following:
Spike becoming an actual full blown dragon and an episode that features Celestia's origin
So those should be interesting to say the least, they do keep a Futurama-esque sense of continuity. I mean they officially made the owl from season 1 Twilight's pet and shown it numerious times.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 27, 2011

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I was super excited when I saw the Space Ghost kids, only to be massively disappointed that he wasn't being backed by George Lowe's dulcet tones. That man is the only Space Ghost I will recognize. :colbert:

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Gary Owens is awesome.

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

Vaerai Archon posted:

It also apparently was not liked by the fans. They hated this episode with such an unbound fury that would rival ten thousand suns. I know the writer did scripts for Spongebob(which this episode felt strangely like, only to find that out later). There was no payoff for the jokes, everyone and everything acted incredibly out of character, and they were all needlessly obnoxious dicks to each other(like how Blu was later on in Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends).

They did however at the end reference the worst episode of season 1(Feeling Pinkie Keen) which did suffer all of the same symptoms of this episode.

Yeah, because being dicks to obnoxious friends to make them step down a bit is sooo out of character. I feel like fans expect too much out of a kids' series.
Feeling Pinkie Keen was indeed a bad episode, but I thought the owl episode was far worse for being ungodly boring and nothing really happening outside of "oooh, Spike is jealous". Pinkie Keen at least had a new monster, not just another dragon. (of course, your mileage may vary, this is just IMHO.)

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Mad Surge posted:

Yeah, because being dicks to obnoxious friends to make them step down a bit is sooo out of character. I feel like fans expect too much out of a kids' series.
Feeling Pinkie Keen was indeed a bad episode, but I thought the owl episode was far worse for being ungodly boring and nothing really happening outside of "oooh, Spike is jealous". Pinkie Keen at least had a new monster, not just another dragon. (of course, your mileage may vary, this is just IMHO.)

I agree--the episode with Owlowlicious was pretty boring overall.

Pinkie Keen had a terrible moral--or, based on Lauren Faust's explanation, maybe just a so-so moral with a terrible execution---but it had some awesome Looney Tunes-style slapstick. The gag with the anvil and the piano and DERPY FRICKIN HOOVES makes me chuckle every time.

I was going to say that this episode should've played its cards closer to its chest with regards to Mare-Do-Well's traits and abilities--once you see the horn, you know it's Twilight, and once you see wings, you know there has to be more than one Mare-Do-Well--but then, I realized that the target audience's minds were probably sufficiently blown by the idea of multiple ponies sharing one secret identity.

Well, and as much as I think Pinkie Sense is kind of a bothersome and stupid idea, I'm actually a little glad that they referenced it again in this episode, for the same reason I feel relieved and glad when I see Zecora or Luna. I like that sense of continuity, at least.

If it were me, I'd just write an episode where Pinkie loses her Pinkie Sense, and has to come to terms with that, and learn to use her other senses and skills to compensate. (Is that too heavy, though? Especially for a Pinkie-centric episode?)

Well, and, now, it occurs to me that there are potentially tons of ways to milk Pinkie Sense, before just exorcising it. What happens when you're physically unable to prevent an accident that you know will occur, or you arrive to the scene moments too late? If two or more unfortunate events occur at the same time, how do you choose who to help or save? Do people even necessarily want your help? Does Pinkie's Pinkie Sense ever become a bother or a burden? Is Pinkie morally obligated to act every drat time her radar tells her something bad is about to occur? (Again, I'm getting too heavy and heady, aren't I?)

Last week's episode was great, though. (I was rooting for the bat, myself, but Tank's adorable--especially in his little tortoisecopter ;) ).

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 27, 2011

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Well, and, now, it occurs to me that there are potentially tons of ways to milk Pinkie Sense, before just exorcising it. What happens when you're physically unable to prevent an accident that you know will occur, or you arrive to the scene moments too late? If two or more unfortunate events occur at the same time, how do you choose who to help or save? Do people even necessarily want your help? Does Pinkie's Pinkie Sense ever become a bother or a burden? Is Pinkie morally obligated to act every drat time her radar tells her something bad is about to occur? (Again, I'm getting too heavy and heady, aren't I?)

Last week's episode was great, though. (I was rooting for the bat, myself, but Tank's adorable--especially in his little tortoisecopter ;) ).

My college freshmen English teacher referred to that as Superman Ethics. Superman is near unstoppable force who can do anything but, if two catastrophic events are occurring at the same time a choice has to be made even if it's one that can lead to countless deaths. Although I believe in Superman II he rewound time to save Lois so Pinkie can always just do that.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Neo Helbeast posted:

My college freshmen English teacher referred to that as Superman Ethics. Superman is near unstoppable force who can do anything but, if two catastrophic events are occurring at the same time a choice has to be made even if it's one that can lead to countless deaths. Although I believe in Superman II he rewound time to save Lois so Pinkie can always just do that.

But, by rewinding time and saving Lois Lane, he basically condemned all the people he saved before instead of Lois to death, right? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

You mean Dr. Whooves could rewind time ;). Then, with the help of Dr. Whooves, Pinkie could assassinate Adolf Hoofler, thereby splitting Equestria into two parallel timelines. :D

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 27, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mad Surge posted:

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the fans are starting to nit pick flaws that were always present and are expecting way more nuance and effort to be put into what is, at the end of the day, a half hour toy commercial for magical candy colored ponies.

I didn't have a problem with this week's episode. It wasn't great, but they can't all be winners. The complaints around the internet though, wow. It's just really clear how many people got caught up in a meme and hyped the show up so much for themselves that it could never measure up (or never would have in the first place), and are starting to notice that it's not as good as they told themselves it was.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

IRQ posted:

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the fans are starting to nit pick flaws that were always present and are expecting way more nuance and effort to be put into what is, at the end of the day, a half hour toy commercial for magical candy colored ponies.

Yup. That's why I had to stop myself from wanting to criticize this episode for failing to have a twist reveal worthy of a Hercule Poirot mystery ;).

Didn't mind the episode, myself. It wasn't my favorite, but I didn't hate it, either. I also like the wordplay on "ne'er-do-well," which a lot of fans obviously didn't get, as I'm looking up now why people disliked this ep.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tartarus Sauce posted:

But, by rewinding time and saving Lois Lane, he basically condemned all the people he saved before instead of Lois to death, right? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

You mean Dr. Whooves could rewind time ;). Then, with the help of Dr. Whooves, Pinkie could assassinate Adolf Hoofler, thereby splitting Equestria into two parallel timelines. :D

You sure the writer wouldn't piss the episode away showing how his own personal Mary Sue Pony is the best one and shove Hoofler in the closet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ConanThe3rd posted:

You sure the writer wouldn't piss the episode away showing how his own personal Mary Sue Pony is the best one and shove Hoofler in the closet?

Ironically, River Song already sounds like a pony name.