Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Oh, you like Mrs. Feldstein; you think she's a good mother? Feh. Her son had cancer and she took him to a Doctor on Long Island. Believe you me if my son were sick I would take him to the best Doctor in Manhattan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chiz posted:

So we get less Howard for more money

Who could argue with that?

Yeah, but he gets more chimneys. Can't get enough chimneys in your house, that's what my dad always said.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

chiz posted:

I can probably figure this one out, but, backstory?

He said he purchases like a thousand of them. I don't know if that was hyperbole or not, but he said he would give them out as gifts.

Gifts that he normally hates giving out.

edit: That house is loving awesome, he is living in a dream. I hope he understands that and this whole sit inside and hate everything and fear life is just bullshit.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Reminder: as little as he works now, as much money as he has, as much as he's accomplished...

He is miserable. I take comfort in that. Why do you think he gave up karate, chess, painting and, soon to be, photography? It's because he's only good at radio. As much as there is competition out there - whether it be conservative radio (O'Reilly, Rush, Hannity) or Howard-clones (O&A, Bubba, Imus), he's still the best at it. Even if his loving show sucks now.

Of course, due to all of the above, I wait for the day to tune in again when his wife leaves him, he loses his pets and house, and his subscribers dash out in droves.

I like it when he's angry. Call me crazy. :v:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cliche Guevara posted:

Reminder: as little as he works now, as much money as he has, as much as he's accomplished...

He is miserable. I take comfort in that. Why do you think he gave up karate, chess, painting and, soon to be, photography? It's because he's only good at radio. As much as there is competition out there - whether it be conservative radio (O'Reilly, Rush, Hannity) or Howard-clones (O&A, Bubba, Imus), he's still the best at it. Even if his loving show sucks now.

Of course, due to all of the above, I wait for the day to tune in again when his wife leaves him, he loses his pets and house, and his subscribers dash out in droves.

I like it when he's angry. Call me crazy. :v:

You're not crazy, angry Howard is at least compelling, and he has something to say. Howard on a day where he isn't sparked up is BORING. Having nice bland interviews with polite guests and talking about how he had dinner out on Friday is not great radio. Howard going balistic about almost anything is at least passionate.

And I too take solice in the fact that no matter how great his life is, on the inside he is numb and he just wishes he could genuinely feel something. Hence why Richard crying always amazes Howard.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
I don't know that the whole "money doesn't buy happiness" is true. If I had that kind of money I'd have an east and a west coast house and travel to Europe and stay for a month or two, go out to bars and bang hot chicks, etc.

The one happiness you might not find though is a partner who actually loves you for you and not the lifestyle, a la Beth. How hard is it for her to put up with a little neuroses and two minute gently caress sessions to be indulged of the world of living like a millionaire.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

chiz posted:

I don't know that the whole "money doesn't buy happiness" is true. If I had that kind of money I'd have an east and a west coast house and travel to Europe and stay for a month or two, go out to bars and bang hot chicks, etc.

The one happiness you might not find though is a partner who actually loves you for you and not the lifestyle, a la Beth. How hard is it for her to put up with a little neuroses and two minute gently caress sessions to be indulged of the world of living like a millionaire.

I can't really blame Beth for Howard's mental issues. She's a trophy wife, and the real issue is that Howard has no idea who he really is. He's hosed in the head and needs some serious help that doesn't kowtow to his millionaire status. In a way, he doesn't have it all. He just has a really crappy house to store his chimney collection so he can be alone with all of his demons.

What Howard really needs is the humility and will to fix his problems. At this point he doesn't have a therapist, he has a paid-for best friend.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
I doubt anyone cares but I thought this was interesting. Today's show was a clip show and one of the clips was from March 2003. Anyways, I guess Gary was given $1000 free on a betting website to bet on a college basketball game. Artie was giving Gary advice and told him that Syracuse giving 5 points to Auburn was a slam dunk bet, "a five star bet" and was raving about how much money he was going to make on the bet. They didn't play the show from the next day (or if they did I missed it) but I looked up the game and Syracuse won but only by 1 point. I wonder how much Artie ended up losing on that bet :allears:

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I can't really blame Beth for Howard's mental issues. She's a trophy wife, and the real issue is that Howard has no idea who he really is. He's hosed in the head and needs some serious help that doesn't kowtow to his millionaire status. In a way, he doesn't have it all. He just has a really crappy house to store his chimney collection so he can be alone with all of his demons.

What Howard really needs is the humility and will to fix his problems. At this point he doesn't have a therapist, he has a paid-for best friend.

You're off base. Or on free-base, I'm not sure

Anyways, nobody is blaming Beth for Howards issues, I don't know where you get that one from. She's basically a realdoll trophy wife for Howard.

Howard is in therapy for one reason, and that reason is his mother. She really did a number on him and trying to please and outshine his father is a big part of it too. That's why he's in therapy.

The only thing that really bothers me is that he doesnt give a gently caress about us anymore.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Streebs posted:

I doubt anyone cares but I thought this was interesting. Today's show was a clip show and one of the clips was from March 2003. Anyways, I guess Gary was given $1000 free on a betting website to bet on a college basketball game. Artie was giving Gary advice and told him that Syracuse giving 5 points to Auburn was a slam dunk bet, "a five star bet" and was raving about how much money he was going to make on the bet. They didn't play the show from the next day (or if they did I missed it) but I looked up the game and Syracuse won but only by 1 point. I wonder how much Artie ended up losing on that bet :allears:

Part of an Artie collection I have has a few 20 minute clips during this time about Artie giving betting advice to KC and Gary and telling great gambling stories.

I think part of that series of shows has Artie telling the story about how his buddy would sometimes bet on day hockey games after they had finished and their bookie didnt catch on for a while, then he proceeds to threaten their lives while in a McDonalds on Ash Wednesday.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

chiz posted:

You're off base. Or on free-base, I'm not sure

Anyways, nobody is blaming Beth for Howards issues, I don't know where you get that one from. She's basically a realdoll trophy wife for Howard.

Howard is in therapy for one reason, and that reason is his mother. She really did a number on him and trying to please and outshine his father is a big part of it too. That's why he's in therapy.

The only thing that really bothers me is that he doesnt give a gently caress about us anymore.

Excuse me for misreading a line. But do you really think Howard ever cared for his fans? Really?

And Howard isn't in therapy. He's not resolving anything. Nobody needs a therapist three to five times a week. He's basically paying someone to bitch to without having to do anything.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I think part of that series of shows has Artie telling the story about how his buddy would sometimes bet on day hockey games after they had finished and their bookie didnt catch on for a while, then he proceeds to threaten their lives while in a McDonalds on Ash Wednesday.

I love the clip of Artie telling that story because of how hard Howard laughed at it. I've never heard him laugh that hard at anything before-- it sounded very candid and real :unsmith:

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

AltronHGX posted:

I love the clip of Artie telling that story because of how hard Howard laughed at it. I've never heard him laugh that hard at anything before-- it sounded very candid and real :unsmith:

For your listening pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L92P99uTq44

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Excuse me for misreading a line. But do you really think Howard ever cared for his fans? Really?

And Howard isn't in therapy. He's not resolving anything. Nobody needs a therapist three to five times a week. He's basically paying someone to bitch to without having to do anything.

Howard did care for his fans, my god he obsesses over it. It's why he can't even twitter anymore, it's why he doesnt go on SFN, he's VERY sensitive to what his fans think. OR at least was. The show is on autopilot now.

Your second statement is spot on though, I agree with that. He really is just paying to have someone to bitch to however he IS getting, I think, some insight into all his bitching and neuroses.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

chiz posted:

Howard did care for his fans, my god he obsesses over it. It's why he can't even twitter anymore, it's why he doesnt go on SFN, he's VERY sensitive to what his fans think. OR at least was. The show is on autopilot now.

Your second statement is spot on though, I agree with that. He really is just paying to have someone to bitch to however he IS getting, I think, some insight into all his bitching and neuroses.

Well, Stern fans are a bit vicious, by nature, so of course he didn't want to hear the vocal haters over the rare to speak actual fans. Anywhere you go, usually the people who want to hate and complain are stronger, more so on the internet.

I don't blame him for hating twitter, feedback online is usually worthless because it is just the people bored/deranged enough to bother to voice their opinions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I don't think Howard ever really cared about his fans, but he cared about ratings, so he provided the fans with some brilliant comedy for more than a decade. No more ratings now, so no more need to care. He takes as many days off as he can, there are no "writing meetings", no more ball-busting, and he's surrounded by yes-men.

It really was some of the funniest stuff anywhere, and it was on five days a week for hours each day.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

AltronHGX posted:

Here's a great one where Howard and Gilbert goof on Ratso's cheap new house. Ratso lived on the water so you weren't allowed to flush toilet paper in the bathroom. Instead all used toilet paper had to be kept in a special hamper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiREIibtiEY

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Artie and Nick on Jimmy Kimmel right now

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Artie and Nick on Jimmy Kimmel right now

Darn, missed it. Any good?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Former Human posted:

Here's a great one where Howard and Gilbert goof on Ratso's cheap new house. Ratso lived on the water so you weren't allowed to flush toilet paper in the bathroom. Instead all used toilet paper had to be kept in a special hamper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiREIibtiEY

God drat... one of my all time favorite bits. Everyone listen to this!

Say, do you have the one where Gilbert was sitting in, and they were making fun of Jackie's neighborhood?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sand Monster posted:

Darn, missed it. Any good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GYtUdS6244

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Streebs posted:

They actually did play the day after show and what ended up happening was KC told Gary not to bet on the game because apparently the odds changed so Gary just said left it alone and Artie, being in his infinite wisdom on using a computer, couldn't figure out how to bet online and ended up just leaving it as well. Both walked away without losing any money.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Artie seems very content :3:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

It really was some of the funniest stuff anywhere, and it was on five days a week for hours each day.

People always roll their eyes when I say Howard Stern is the greatest entertainer/comedy show of all time, but it's the truth. In its prime, there was nothing on earth with as much funny content as Stern & Co.

One day I hope I'll be able to buy a box set of commercial free, 1990-2007 shows for a couple grand and just live off it forever.

Performula
Apr 7, 2009
Is there no Howard Stern Show this week?

Also, listening to Celebrity Super Fan Round Table, it sounded even more likely that he might get offered that America's Got Talent part.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Performula posted:

Is there no Howard Stern Show this week?

We're entering into the holiday season now so you might as well just assume the show is off until 2012.

Trust me, you will be less disappointed that way.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I dunno, if they ever got the "wood chipper in the studio" bit to work, that would be worth listening to.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Vakal posted:

We're entering into the holiday season now so you might as well just assume the show is off until 2012.

I do my own Howard Stern show in my head and it is fantastic!

Performula
Apr 7, 2009

Vakal posted:

At least they're doing 4 days a week this December :)

or so they said.....

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Performula posted:

Also, listening to Celebrity Super Fan Round Table, it sounded even more likely that he might get offered that America's Got Talent part.

I think it's quite obvious that he's in negotiations for the job. DeidreBeth let something slip when she was in the studio about discussions he's having about location and scheduling.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

kylej posted:

One day I hope I'll be able to buy a box set of commercial free, 1990-2007 shows for a couple grand and just live off it forever.

That will be available right after the Channel 9 Show, Butt Bongo Fiesta, US Open Sores, and New Years Rotten Eve come out on DVD in an official (not bought from the bootleg dude at MegaCon) release.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Szyznyk posted:

That will be available right after the Channel 9 Show, Butt Bongo Fiesta, US Open Sores, and New Years Rotten Eve come out on DVD in an official (not bought from the bootleg dude at MegaCon) release.

Oh no doubt. I wish Howard would open his mind to merchandise just a teensy bit. I don't need mugs and Excellence in Broadcasting chairs, but I'd like to legally own a nice set of his shows.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I have a serious fear that we won't see any of his content for sale until after he dies and his kids sell Best of Howard collections through Guthy-Renker infomercials.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Do you remember classics like Homo-cop? Timeless stories like "Jackie's cat gets run over and the staff mocks him endlessly", or the countless times when Howard explains his anal fissures and wiping ceremony?

Well thanks to Time Life Collection, you can now.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.

AxeManiac posted:

"Jackie's cat gets run over and the staff mocks him endlessly"

F Timmy

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow Jackie killed me

nukem
Jun 6, 2003

Yes, I love that man of mine.

AxeManiac posted:

I do my own Howard Stern show in my head and it is fantastic!

Anything else, schizophrenia?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Szyznyk posted:

I have a serious fear that we won't see any of his content for sale until after he dies and his kids sell Best of Howard collections through Guthy-Renker infomercials.

Even if something miraculous like that happens, we'll never get to hear "Howard complains about his in-laws" or "Howard yells at his wife". :(

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
Did Howard ever bitch about Allison's parents? I was under the impression that he liked them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

chiz posted:

Did Howard ever bitch about Allison's parents? I was under the impression that he liked them.

Allison's brother used to read the newspaper on Howard's brand new white couch, which, in OCD world, is an infamita.