Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

lordblytzkrieg posted:

The toms on Domination are are probably the worst sounding I have ever heard, they're like garbage can lids.

I guess you've never heard Schizophrenia by Sepultura? The toms on it cross straight over into so-awful-it's-cool territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqkxaTDbLvo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

m-o-o-n posted:

I guess you've never heard Schizophrenia by Sepultura? The toms on it cross straight over into so-awful-it's-cool territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqkxaTDbLvo

3:26-3:34 is hilarious, almost sounds like it should be a Scooby-Doo sound effect

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Wow, that's terrible.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
going back to the metal shirts discussion, the best shirts are Sonata Arctica shirts. They're literally just wolf shirts with the Sonata Arctica logo pasted on front.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Monkeytime posted:

Did the show also feature Joey DiMaio going the gently caress off on the promoter/false metal/true metal/his bass tech? I swear he ranted for the better part of 20 minutes when I saw them and that alone was worth the price of admission. It's a shame they don't tour more in the US, I don't get it.

He went off for like 10 minutes on how awesome Manowar fans are, but he didn't have a bad thing to say about the promoter or techs last night.

They mentioned that this was the only US stop on the tour because it was the only place that would let them bring their own sound system, so maybe that's why they don't do more US locations.

Also Eric Adams pipes are loving amazing considering he's loving fifty-seven. They did a straight two hour set with no breaks and he basically sang the whole way through except for a couple guitar-solo sections.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Holy poo poo the new Anthrax album is amazing! :psyduck:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

keyframe posted:

Holy poo poo the new Anthrax album is amazing! :psyduck:

Every Anthrax album is amazing :colbert:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Qu Appelle posted:

And because it's Vintersorg, he literally means the entire universe.

This made me laugh way harder than it should.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

MrBling posted:

So which of their albums are you discounting? :v:

Neither, just like WtSTB better. :P

I'll second the Atheist recc. It's more late period Death style than early, but listen to the song Mother Man, and I'll be damned if you don't love it.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
For the Death recommendations, I'll throw out Obscura, Augury, and Necrophagist. Goddammit, the new Necrophagist needs to come out. What's the hold up!?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MoreMetalBrian posted:

For the Death recommendations, I'll throw out Obscura, Augury, and Necrophagist. Goddammit, the new Necrophagist needs to come out. What's the hold up!?
Jari Mäenpää won't get out of the studio's control room

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

thepitgoddess posted:

Neither, just like WtSTB better. :P

I think it's more that Brutality made three albums, not two. All are definitely worth listening to, although In Mourning is noticeably weaker than Screams of Anguish or When the Sky Turns Black.

If anyone wants something a little less ordinary Demented Ted are worth checking out.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Gr31lly posted:

I think it's more that Brutality made three albums, not two. All are definitely worth listening to, although In Mourning is noticeably weaker than Screams of Anguish or When the Sky Turns Black.

If anyone wants something a little less ordinary Demented Ted are worth checking out.

So they did. My bad. I never even heard In Mourning. gently caress that album then. :P

Besides, there's no no no way it tops WtSTB. :D

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I recently got into Arckanum. Any other good black metal bands like that, besides the obvious classics?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Splash Damage posted:

I recently got into Arckanum. Any other good black metal bands like that, besides the obvious classics?

Svartsyn (especially Timeless Reign for the newer Arckanum sound) will do the job. That's made especially obvious by their split with Arckanum mind. Their new album is sadly horribly produced (this is a theme with Svartsyn) and compacted as all hell.

Kampfar are also definitely worth a look in. (As are the band they formed from Mock).

Other than that, you're basically looking for raw, traditional black metal, and the likes of Horna can deliver that. I'd recommend the split with Behexen. Try also Armagedda, Inquisition.

One of the issues with Arckanum is that Shamaatae comes from a background of technical/melodic black metal (Sorhin) and death metal (Grotesque, albeit he was at most 15 and there very shortly). You can hear these influences in Arckanum (especially Sorhin in his early material), but they're buried below a very different production than what is normally used. As such, bands like Dawn (who he actually contributed some lyrics to) are actually quite closely related to Arckanum, even if they sound very different.

You should be quite comfortable picking up just about any "classic" album though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gr31lly posted:

Inquisition.

Thanks for reminding me about these guys. I forgot how much this song kicks my rear end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN-K27yiVrk

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gr31lly posted:

Svartsyn, Kampfar

Already listening to Kampfar, very good band, and I'm looking into Svartsyn which so far are very promising, especially looking forward to checking out the split with Arckanum.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

MrBling posted:

The only fashion statement you're making is that you like wearing terrible shirts.

Sorry if I prefer my clothes to actually look nice.

Looks are completely subjective unfortunately for everyone

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

dxt posted:

going back to the metal shirts discussion,

I was going out somewhere and my only dry t-shirts were my Kill 'Em All shirt and a shirt repping a local band (Hypoxia -- check them out, they're awesome). After much deliberation, I decided to wear my Hypoxia shirt. I wasn't even halfway down the block when I saw this obscenely hot guy wearing a Master Of Puppets t-shirt and cursed myself for not having an easy conversation-starter.

What might have been... :smith:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Vektor's new album "Outer Isolation" comes out tomorrow for those of you who like progressive thrash, maybe even progressive black thrash? Pretty great, so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGicoRxP4a4

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

It's always a shame when you hear some metal coming from a car or a stereo and when you get a little closer you realize it's Dethklok.

We could have been friends, man.

Anyways, I wish Skeletonwitch had different production, more of a heavier sound I guess. They're loving awesome and I'm sure hearing them live is WAY better than the album.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
I think Dethklok is pretty good, and I've never even watched a full episode of Metalocalypse. Unfortunately thats not the case for most people.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The show is far better than the music. But only the first 2 seasons or so.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

lordblytzkrieg posted:

It's always a shame when you hear some metal coming from a car or a stereo and when you get a little closer you realize it's Dethklok.

We could have been friends, man.

Anyways, I wish Skeletonwitch had different production, more of a heavier sound I guess. They're loving awesome and I'm sure hearing them live is WAY better than the album.

I felt the same way about the new album at first too, but it's grown on me. It sounds very analogue and old-school to me and it just works.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lordblytzkrieg posted:

My buddy was complaining about their albums sounding a bit lovely but I don't hear it. Granted I like some of my music raw and don't mind poor production. Keep in mind he works at a studio and is in a hardcore band, so he's a bit picky about sound. Seeing them live next month opening for Unearth -- hoping to meet them because 3 solid albums in a row? RARE!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

enojy posted:

Vektor's new album "Outer Isolation" comes out tomorrow for those of you who like progressive thrash, maybe even progressive black thrash? Pretty great, so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGicoRxP4a4

gently caress yes, been waiting so long for this!

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

My buddy was complaining about their albums sounding a bit lovely but I don't hear it. Granted I like some of my music raw and don't mind poor production. Keep in mind he works at a studio and is in a hardcore band, so he's a bit picky about sound. Seeing them live next month opening for Unearth -- hoping to meet them because 3 solid albums in a row? RARE!

I didn't say poor production at all, It's just not that heavy sounding. I guess it's because I've been on a stoner/doom kick lately and if my speakers aren't about to rip I'm going to have trouble getting into it.

Production is really relative anyways, Burzum's Filosofem and Bongzilla's Gateway are two of my most favorite sounding albums ever. The tone on both of those albums are exactly what they needed and it's done perfectly.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Fedoras are like chinstrap beards. When I see a guy wearing one, I assume they are a douchebag.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Wellp, looks like I might be getting an interview with Dave of Anaal Nathrakh (also Benediction and Mistress) after all. Anyone have any questions for him? I'm like a nervous schoolgirl now :dance:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Concatenation posted:

Wellp, looks like I might be getting an interview with Dave of Anaal Nathrakh (also Benediction and Mistress) after all. Anyone have any questions for him? I'm like a nervous schoolgirl now :dance:

Aw, just Dave? Mick Kinney is so dreamy :allears:

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Concatenation posted:

I don't really have a question, it's more like begging. Please make Mick Kenney stop hanging out with those guys from Bleeding Through. It's making his guitar playing sound like poo poo and we don't want awful breakdowns in our Anaal Nathrakh.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Ask him what his favourite Radiohead album is.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
I posted this in the Opeth thread, but since we're talking about interviews, I did one with Mikael Akerfeldt a few weeks back. It's a bit long, but he's got some fun answers, so I hope you guys enjoy it. Let me know if there are any questions/answers that you particularly liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rqh7l4BKaI

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Concatenation posted:

Ask him why he is so angry :(.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Concatenation posted:

He's a nice bloke, don't be nervous! Ask him what his favourite type of curry is.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Optimum Gulps posted:

Which era of Death are you listening to? If it's Symbolic/The Sound of Perseverance, then you should check out the band Illogicist. They're about as close as you're going to get to the technical/progressive sound Death had towards the end.

Finally got a chance to give this a go. Holy crap this sounds like Death. Even the style of the solos is Chuck. I've only heard a couple songs, not bad so far.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Dyscrasia posted:

Finally got a chance to give this a go. Holy crap this sounds like Death. Even the style of the solos is Chuck. I've only heard a couple songs, not bad so far.

Agreed, Ilogicist was the perfect recommendation, it's like Death 2.0.

Just discovered Toxic Holocaust thanks to this thread, and I'm very happy about it.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Are there any metal related sales going on right now? I could use some new vinyl and shirts.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Why isn't there a black metal friday sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

moribund cult posted:

Hail All MORIBUND CULT Supporters!

Please find our November Mail Order / Armory webstore update with 25% discount sale offer, new items, re-stocks and label news below.

Free Audio Streams and Downloads at https://www.moribundcult.com
BLACK (METAL) FRIDAY SALE!! 25% DISCOUNT SALE !!!
We are offering a 25% discount on all CDs, LPs, T-shirts and Longsleeves!
Sale begins November 24th and ends on December 1st!

Sale code: Black Metal Friday

All orders receive a FREE 18" x 24" or 11" x 17" poster!! (selected at random)
All orders $35.00 and over receive a FREE / promo CD!! (selected at random)

Not bad, but they don't update their website frequently enough. The last time I ordered from them it was a ten-email back and forth to figure out what they actually had in stock.