Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't have any income right now

Neither do I (I'm unemployed). :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
On the flip side, this is the first Criterion sale since I got a job that provides me with actual disposable income. I picked up Blurays of Island of Lost Souls and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for me and Thin Red Line as a gift for someone else.

So boss.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Mmm, Salò.

Just remember, it's only chocolate pudding.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Crossposting from the Blu-Ray thread because this deal is just too amazing

Beauty And The Beast (1946) - $11.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004WPYO8I

Dead back to $22.99

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 21, 2011

AntiqueCowboy
Jul 31, 2005
Okay punk, listen up. I don't like your face. That's not a good thing.
Just a heads up, Beauty and the Beast is currently $11.99 on Amazon (on Blu-Ray).

Edit: Dammit

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Blind-bought Beauty and the Beast purely on principle. Amazon's shipped 12 Angry Men, so I'm looking forward to having a good movie week.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Damnit it. I had Beauty and the Beast in my cart. I just want to checkout and it jumped up to $22.99.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
So glad I jumped on that deal.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

caiman posted:

Damnit it. I had Beauty and the Beast in my cart. I just want to checkout and it jumped up to $22.99.

Look on the right side and find Amazon as a seller, it's still $11. Amazon sold out and is on backorder for 2-3 weeks or so but still offering the price.

edit: Oh drat nevermind, a few minutes ago Amazon was selling for $11 but I guess even that's gone now.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm sure this question has been asked to death: is it Criterion's plan to re-release all of their in-print DVD titles on Blu-Ray eventually?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I can't imagine they would release all of their in-print DVDs onto bluray, but notable films and personal favorites.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Yeah I highly doubt they'll do all of them. On average they've upgraded 1-2 titles per month, so at that rate it would take, what, at least 15 years?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Unless they continue releasing Blu-Rays for fifteen years, but I think it's more likely that before that they'll have as many of their titles as possible up on Hulu in HD.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The time it takes to ship things to my house

Amazon.ca: 1-2 business days
Amazon.com: 2-3 business days
Amazon.com other sellers: 5-7 business days
AbeBooks: ~10 business days
Barnes & Noble: Over 30 business days

How the gently caress do they ship?

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Horse and carriage, still waiting on my order from November 2nd! Maybe it'll arrive by mid-December.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Are you guys B&N members? Because I am, and I get everything next day or 2-day at the very latest. It's worth becoming one for the free shipping, plus the 10% discount on everything.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

codyclarke posted:

Are you guys B&N members? Because I am, and I get everything next day or 2-day at the very latest. It's worth becoming one for the free shipping, plus the 10% discount on everything.

Not for us poor, miserable Canucks.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Twin Cinema posted:

I'm in the exact same boat with B&N - November 2nd ship date and I'm still waiting. Nothing will ever top Deep Discount which took about 3 months after they said it shipped. I forgot I had even made the order!

Surprisingly my bluray of Beauty and the Beast just arrived today from Amazon after ordering it on Monday on the US site! I just don't understand B&N with the slow shipments & separate shipments of a single order.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It's good to read that other Canadians have the same issues with B&N. My mid-November order last year didn't arrive until the beginning of January. It's bizarre, because they provide a tracking number that doesn't track anything. It's the worst online shopping experience, but goddamn, those cheap Criterions :(

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Just snagged By Brakhage used (but in mint condition) at a half price books for 9.95. Never seen anything by him, but am pretty excited.

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
With the plastic bag packaging I am hearing about and long shipping times, imagine the condition it'll arrive in once it reaches Canada.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Cacator posted:

Not for us poor, miserable Canucks.

I'm pretty sure mine are coming via carrier pigeon. This is getting silly.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Rick Deckard posted:

With the plastic bag packaging I am hearing about and long shipping times, imagine the condition it'll arrive in once it reaches Canada.
This was the first time I bought anything at the B&N sale. Did they do plastic mailer shipping in the past too? Maybe we should start an email campaign to get them to ask B&N to use the normal fold over boxes for the next sale? Sales are great, but not when your poo poo comes all hosed up.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

robix smash posted:

This was the first time I bought anything at the B&N sale. Did they do plastic mailer shipping in the past too? Maybe we should start an email campaign to get them to ask B&N to use the normal fold over boxes for the next sale? Sales are great, but not when your poo poo comes all hosed up.

They will not listen to you; they will not care. The B&N Criterion sales are the Steam sales of the cinephile: you can't stop yourself.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
If your stuff comes in all hosed up just mail it back and ask for a replacement.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

It's good to read that other Canadians have the same issues with B&N. My mid-November order last year didn't arrive until the beginning of January. It's bizarre, because they provide a tracking number that doesn't track anything. It's the worst online shopping experience, but goddamn, those cheap Criterions :(

That long, eh? This is my first time buying from them and a couple of the DVDs are supposed to be Christmas gifts, so I hope they don't arrive in time for the Super Bowl or something.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

friendo55 posted:

I'm in the exact same boat with B&N - November 2nd ship date and I'm still waiting. Nothing will ever top Deep Discount which took about 3 months after they said it shipped. I forgot I had even made the order!

Surprisingly my bluray of Beauty and the Beast just arrived today from Amazon after ordering it on Monday on the US site! I just don't understand B&N with the slow shipments & separate shipments of a single order.

Just to update on this, my initial order came in the day after I wrote this - in a box just a tad too large and with a single air-filled plastic bag. Still in good condition though, and I can't complain THAT much with this sale twice a year.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Yikes. $23 for the Seven Samurai bluray in the Amazon sale.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

robix smash posted:

Yikes. $23 for the Seven Samurai bluray in the Amazon sale.
$23? I see $31 currently

Still OK but B&N is a larger discount now

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Island Nation posted:

$23? I see $31 currently

Still OK but B&N is a larger discount now
It was part of their lightning discount deals from 11:30-2:30. (Took six minutes to sell out according to the timestamp on Criterion's twitter feed.)

N7C7K8T 30% off on item at bn.com right now btw. No Criterion stuff in their Cyber Monday deals, but the 30% is store wide I believe. Or if you want a tenuous Criterion connection, I got the Taxi Driver blu, which has the old Criterion laserdisc commentary on it.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 28, 2011

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Question for movie heads. I see Identification of a Woman for $21.99 on Amazon and I'm thinking of buying it because it sounds really cool. But it's directed by Antonioni. My only experience with his film is having to sit through L'Avventura a couple of years ago. I really disliked that movie and found it a bore. Is IoW a similar style in that it is beautifull shot/constructed but has a really standstill story?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

i am not so sure posted:

Question for movie heads. I see Identification of a Woman for $21.99 on Amazon and I'm thinking of buying it because it sounds really cool. But it's directed by Antonioni. My only experience with his film is having to sit through L'Avventura a couple of years ago. I really disliked that movie and found it a bore. Is IoW a similar style in that it is beautifull shot/constructed but has a really standstill story?

That is kind of all of Antonioni. Though some less so than others. Blow-Up, for instance, I find to be incredibly dynamic. Can't comment on Identification of a Woman, I'm afraid. I blind-bought it, because I'm a sucker, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

To all my fellow Canadians,

I had three different orders from the B&N sale that were shipped on three different dates. It has taken 19 business days for the first two to show up. So, my B&N experience has been dramatically better then the 30+ I had to wait for last year. If you haven't received yours, I am sure they'll be there in the next week.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

My 2nd order showed up, still waiting on my Salo order. Yuck

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Twin Cinema posted:

To all my fellow Canadians,

I had three different orders from the B&N sale that were shipped on three different dates. It has taken 19 business days for the first two to show up. So, my B&N experience has been dramatically better then the 30+ I had to wait for last year. If you haven't received yours, I am sure they'll be there in the next week.

I sure hope so. The fact that they don't have a way to track where the hell my packages are is a disconcerting thing. Amazon, while prices aren't as good as this particular deal, is so incredibly reliable with everything that it keeps me coming back. While I don't need things to arrive next day or next week (or in this case next month) I'd like to know what the status is. The price is right but the service has been poo poo. I emailed them about it a couple weeks ago and they gave me an arrival estimate on all three packages. Those estimated dates have come and gone and I still haven't received one.

The only solace is the price was right, so I guess I shouldn't really be complaining.

Wyllt
May 6, 2009
Hello there everyone. Recently in my life i've been finding myself appreciating movies a lot more and wanting to delve into this world head first. I also have started working at Barnes & Noble so i've been spending my paycheck there quite a bit thanks to employee discounts. Anyway i recently purchased my first two Criterion Collection films (which happen to be bluray). They are Lars Von Trier's Antichrist and Roman Polanski's Repulsion. Both are phenomenal and I am incredibly impressed with all the extras that come with these movies. Long story short, im hooked and can't wait to give these bastards more of my money!

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Wyllt posted:

Hello there everyone. Recently in my life i've been finding myself appreciating movies a lot more and wanting to delve into this world head first. They are Lars Von Trier's Antichrist

That's a hell of a way to 'delve into this world head first'.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Pigeon Shamus posted:

That's a hell of a way to 'delve into this world head first'.

Yeah, no poo poo. The only thing I can think of that would top it is Enter the Void (not a Criterion, but since you're already in the deep end...).

Wyllt posted:

Long story short, im hooked and can't wait to give these bastards more of my money!

You have no idea. I'm up to 55.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Cacator posted:

You have no idea. I'm up to 55.

I won't disclose my number. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyllt
May 6, 2009

Cacator posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. The only thing I can think of that would top it is Enter the Void (not a Criterion, but since you're already in the deep end...).

I've seen that as well and thought it was brilliant. While not necessarily a movie I find myself watching again any time soon i'd still recommend it to anyone interested. Funny you should mention Enter The Void because im currently in the middle of I Stand Alone which is also by Gasper Noe. Plus I was a huge fan of Irreversible which is on its own way more hosed up then Enter The Void in my opinion.

But I believe I may have been a bit misleading with my original post. I've been a movie fan for as long as I can remember but it's only been within the past year or two that I've been going back and checking out all the films that have gained any sort of universal praise or hype.