Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Can someone point me to a heavily groove-based drone/doom band - Bongripper are really doing it for me right now and I'd like some similar stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mondrian posted:

Can someone point me to a heavily groove-based drone/doom band - Bongripper are really doing it for me right now and I'd like some similar stuff

The Christpunchers have two EPs you could check out that have serious Bongripper vibes, Black Lung in an Age of Crime and Conduit (Deprogramming In 3 Phases).

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Mondrian posted:

ufomammut - check out godlike snake and eve for the more "groovy" side of doom which still manages to be heavy as hell

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
On a side note, Jex Thoth is amazing and I want to marry her so hard.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Frank Caskelot posted:

Turns out Doomentia Records still had some, so I ordered it just now. I'll still want to see you live though. Any plans of coming to Finland again? We might even do some shows together.

Hey thanks for the suggestion, I just bought one here as well.

I also got my hands on both Atlas Moth albums recently, and both of them are good listens.

Otto Octopus fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 20, 2011

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

I'm late to the game on Dopethrone. Goddamn. They've got a pretty righteous Weedeater/Electric Wizard thing going for themselves.

I really like their second album. They've got a pretty good singer... it does kind of remind me of Weedeater. I haven't really gotten around to listening to the first album yet, I should do that sometime...

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
High on Fire was awesome tonight even though there were some major technical difficulties. Matt Pike was really apologetic and it seemed like he was actually pretty down about having an off night. Jeff was genuinely one of the nicest musicians I've ever met.

I cant loving wait for the new album.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
Saw Down last Thursday and it was awesome. They're not my favorite band (I still prefer the bands they come from, C.O.C., Crowbar, E.H.G.), but Phil Anselmo still has lots of energy and is a great frontman. He was pretty moved too, said we were the best gig of the tour. At one point some dude handed him a placard that said "We love you, Phil. Plz take me to the backstage", to which he responded by making an exaggerated surprise face, then rolling it up and proceeding to hump Kirk with it.

The only thing that sucked was that I had to elbow a random dude in the face, though, because he was being fat and obnoxious. I wish I could go to at least one gig that didn't have a fat dude squirming his way to the front row and behaving like an rear end in a top hat.

NuclearGuru
Jan 4, 2011

Crimsonjewfro posted:

The only thing that sucked was that I had to elbow a random dude in the face, though, because he was being fat and obnoxious. I wish I could go to at least one gig that didn't have a fat dude squirming his way to the front row and behaving like an rear end in a top hat.

Fat dudes are just part of the deal with metal shows. It's like the heaviness of the music creates a gravitational pull from which they cannot escape.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

When I saw Turisas before Devin Townsend a few weeks ago, there was a skinny nerd wearing a cape (!) in a small room full of 900+ people, which was drat hot.

There was another guy doing that metal "hair spin" poo poo that comes with going to fast, non-beard metal gigs, hitting everyone in the face.

That's the great thing about stoner/doom/sludge, mostly chilled out dudes at gigs moving in a trance.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
The Heavy Eyes album is out, full length LP with 11 songs of amazingness. http://theheavyeyesmemphis.bandcamp.com/releases

$5!!!!! go get it

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Tangent post: I just started a death metal thread for any who are interested....

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyone heard of Graveyard Dirt from Ireland? Just got turned on to these guys and I like them a lot...

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I quickly went through the last 5 pages of the thread, since I recalled someone mentioning Witch Mountain, but if they've been mentioned, it must've been earlier. Anyway, I just found them. Since I'm a bit lazy, I'll lump them in with Jex Thoth and the likes, though that won't tell the whole truth. They've got their latest album on their bandcamp page and a cd pressing of it set for release by Profound Lore Records (iirc).

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I don't know if it's frowned upon to link to other forums, but my buddy sent me this - two (possibly?) new High On Fire tunes:

http://theobelisk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3791

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood
Which BR albums have you been listening to? because if you haven't given 'Hippie Killer' a spin yet, you really should.

Aaaand, seeing Ghost Jan 30. Anyone seen 'em live?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Yes. Ghost is better live than on the album I think. And they've probably improved even more with the constant touring.

Also, the Heavy Eyes album is awesome.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
Laudanum - The Coronation

Is the best doom (ambient/drone/sludge) album I've heard in a while.

Much recommended.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I saw Kyuss Lives in Vancouver last night. Kyuss have been the single biggest influence on my musical taste since I discovered them back in high school, but I was a bit apprehensive when I heard that Josh would not be involved in this reunion tour. I wasn't about to miss the show, though, so I decided to go to it with no expectations. Thankfully, it didn't disappoint. I've always been used to Kyuss being an underground band, so it was kind of bizarre to see so many Kyuss fans in one place, and even more bizarre to see drunk chicks trying to dance to openers Black Cobra.

John's singing was excellent throughout Kyuss's set; it's obvious that he's matured a lot as a vocalist since the band broke up. I was ecstatic to hear that Scott Reeder would be playing the Canadian dates, and seeing him play all the classic songs was the highlight of the night for me. Scott's bass playing has had a considerable influence on my own style, and it was a phenomenal experience to finally see him play live. I thought Brant's drumming was obscured a bit by some poor mixing, but he still killed it, and threw in some interesting new touches like a reggae beat at the end of "Whitewater." Bruno Fevery did a good job of playing the songs, but he lacks Homme's improvisational talent, which meant that the looser, jammier songs like "Asteroid," "Fatso Forgotso" and "Whitewater" felt a little flat in parts. He didn't play anything poorly, and there's a certain je ne sais quoi in Homme's playing that's probably impossible to duplicate, so I can't really complain.

I also can't complain about the setlist, which featured nearly every song off Sky Valley as well as the aforementioned "Fatso." There were lots of subtle little changes from the recorded songs, and most of them were pretty cool. At the end of Kyuss's set, they went straight from "El Rodeo" into "100°" with no transition whatsoever, and I was blown away. Overall, it was a great show.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Juaguocio posted:

I also can't complain about the setlist, which featured nearly every song off Sky Valley as well as the aforementioned "Fatso." There were lots of subtle little changes from the recorded songs, and most of them were pretty cool. At the end of Kyuss's set, they went straight from "El Rodeo" into "100°" with no transition whatsoever, and I was blown away. Overall, it was a great show.

Can I just say that I'm quite jealous since this isn't coming to Florida? Glad you had an awesome time.

In honor of "Buy Nothing Day" I give you [b]Sea Bastard[b] who's newest LP is available for a "Name Your Price" download.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
So it looks like Black Sabbath are headlining Hellfest next year. Alongside Saint Vitus, Pentagram, YOB, Acid King, Colour Haze, The Devil's Blood, Monkey3, Orange Goblin, Ufomammut, and a heap of other bands. And there's still 60 more bands to be confirmed! Looks like I'll be heading back to France next June...

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Roadburn gently caress yeah.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Elijah Snow posted:

Quoting this.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Elijah Snow posted:

Oh yesh.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Elijah Snow posted:

Tickets in the bag. Gonna be the best weekend ever, again.

edit: My mate missed his alarm though - any suggestions where to keep an eye out for more tickets in the future? He's really gutted.
edit2: Nevermind! He kept refreshing ticketmaster and just scored 2.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 26, 2011

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Getting kinda freaked though, I still haven't received confirmation on my personal e-mail. I can see my ticket on the ticketmaster.nl website, but nothing came through yet...

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Elijah Snow posted:

Getting kinda freaked though, I still haven't received confirmation on my personal e-mail. I can see my ticket on the ticketmaster.nl website, but nothing came through yet...
If you can see it all purchased and confirmed on your ticketmaster account then I wouldn't worry. Obviously check your spam folder, otherwise just wait a while and send an email or two if it doesn't come after, say, a week.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Apparently they sold out in seven minutes this year. Glad I remembered to prepare for the rush.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man

Idioteque Dance posted:

If you can see it all purchased and confirmed on your ticketmaster account then I wouldn't worry. Obviously check your spam folder, otherwise just wait a while and send an email or two if it doesn't come after, say, a week.

Yeah I'll mail that Walter guy tomorrow if this doesn't come through. So loving happy I get to go back there 5 years later. Virginia Hand Rolling Tobacco for a few more months and I can afford a nice stay and a shitload of weed while I'm there.

edit: Bunch of Portuguese friend and acquaintaces that are going this year too, yeeeeah

Elijah Snow fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 26, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Elijah Snow posted:

Yeah I'll mail that Walter guy tomorrow if this doesn't come through. So loving happy I get to go back there 5 years later. Virginia Hand Rolling Tobacco for a few more months and I can afford a nice stay and a shitload of weed while I'm there.

edit: Bunch of Portuguese friend and acquaintaces that are going this year too, yeeeeah
I've gone off the weed to line my pockets a bit lot more too - I foresee a heavy, heavy April.

It's fine, listening to Dopesmoker really loud is enough to get me stoned all by itself.

So three of my best mates, and other friends I made at the campsite last year all got their tickets. I really can't wait.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 26, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ElectricWizard posted:

Apparently they sold out in seven minutes this year. Glad I remembered to prepare for the rush.

:( Sheeit.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:( Sheeit.
Keep your eyes on this forum, you're bound to come across a spare ticket soon enough http://www.foreverdoomed.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=37

Also keep trying ticket master for the rest of the day. My friend got his an hour after it was "sold out". You never know.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Seems like there's more people with the same problem on those forums. Hrm.

e: got it woof

Elijah Snow fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 26, 2011

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
This gonna be so good. I know I'll hardly get any time to get hosed up with all the bands I'm gonna see. I'm just checking out bands from the lineup randomly and everything is great.

Currently enjoying Aun.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Roadburn Festival & Afterburner in the bag, yeaahh.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
I haven't followed this thread in a while so I have no idea what you've been listening to, but a few weeks ago I saw this live and it was the best show I've seen in a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAMKTj1z3Gw

They played about half of that. If you ever have the chance to see them, just go for it. I wish they would show up on Roadburn or Hellfest :<

Samael Jackson
Aug 26, 2008

POWER OF THE MACK DAD
Holy poo poo truckfighters are good. Tell me the stuff after gravity x is good cause that's the only one I've heard.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Juaguocio posted:

I saw Kyuss Lives in Vancouver last night. Kyuss have been the single biggest influence on my musical taste since I discovered them back in high school, but I was a bit apprehensive when I heard that Josh would not be involved in this reunion tour. I wasn't about to miss the show, though, so I decided to go to it with no expectations. Thankfully, it didn't disappoint. I've always been used to Kyuss being an underground band, so it was kind of bizarre to see so many Kyuss fans in one place, and even more bizarre to see drunk chicks trying to dance to openers Black Cobra.

John's singing was excellent throughout Kyuss's set; it's obvious that he's matured a lot as a vocalist since the band broke up. I was ecstatic to hear that Scott Reeder would be playing the Canadian dates, and seeing him play all the classic songs was the highlight of the night for me. Scott's bass playing has had a considerable influence on my own style, and it was a phenomenal experience to finally see him play live. I thought Brant's drumming was obscured a bit by some poor mixing, but he still killed it, and threw in some interesting new touches like a reggae beat at the end of "Whitewater." Bruno Fevery did a good job of playing the songs, but he lacks Homme's improvisational talent, which meant that the looser, jammier songs like "Asteroid," "Fatso Forgotso" and "Whitewater" felt a little flat in parts. He didn't play anything poorly, and there's a certain je ne sais quoi in Homme's playing that's probably impossible to duplicate, so I can't really complain.

Just got back from seeing the Calgary gig. They killed it. Such perfect headbanging beats.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Samael Jackson posted:

Holy poo poo truckfighters are good. Tell me the stuff after gravity x is good cause that's the only one I've heard.

It's great (but different).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
We own everything so you don't have to.
I don't think I've seen it mentioned here yet, Radio Moscow and Graveyard are touring the US together. I haven't seen Graveyard live so it'll be awesome to see two of my favorites on the same bill.