Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Yeah, trying to speedrun puzzle games drains my mental energy like instantly (I did a few races of Pokemon Puzzle League on SRL, most ending in misery), so I respect the hell out of successful full-game runs... but that potential will always be there. It's just hard for me to ignore -- doing single segment runs of puzzle/RPG games is just so daunting, since it forces the runner to set their standards of an acceptable run around RNG (loving Quest 64 is no exception)

And I totally forgot about that SS2 run not having been up yet. I guess I'm not too anxious to see it since I was a verifier :v: I think it'd be pretty funny if it wasn't up by agdq2, and my live run beat it to being seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Bebopaloobop posted:

OoT is such a ridiculously hard game to learn to run. Pause buffering is a nightmare and pretty much required for the precision some of the tricks take. My right index finger is sore from holding Z and my controller might not make it out alive if I end up skipping 2 frames instead of 1 during another pause buffer.

At least you have a great coach like Cosmo there with you, I'll be watching and trying to learn along with you.

I feel like OoT is somewhat easy to learn once you get a feel of how all the basic glitches work to bypass things. You only really need to know a handful of fundamental glitches and how to apply them to different situations within the game to get what you need. I could be wrong, as I've never bothered learning speedrunning tricks before in any other game.

Peaches let's bingo again!! Hopefully the keese don't ruin everything again haha. I ended up winning that race somehow. Then I got smoked in a child dungeons race :(

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Battletoads 2-player with warps in 11:05 and oh god turbo tunnel does not work that way :stonk:

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Does anyone know off-hand how much the bidding war for Cloud's date (Final Fantasy VII, natch) raised in the Summer Games Done Quick marathon?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

furry drum circle posted:

Yeah, trying to speedrun puzzle games drains my mental energy like instantly (I did a few races of Pokemon Puzzle League on SRL, most ending in misery), so I respect the hell out of successful full-game runs... but that potential will always be there. It's just hard for me to ignore -- doing single segment runs of puzzle/RPG games is just so daunting, since it forces the runner to set their standards of an acceptable run around RNG (loving Quest 64 is no exception)

And I totally forgot about that SS2 run not having been up yet. I guess I'm not too anxious to see it since I was a verifier :v: I think it'd be pretty funny if it wasn't up by agdq2, and my live run beat it to being seen.

I think that the big difference is that doing a full run of a game such as a platformer requires you to have knowledge of specific situations, and have the solution to those situations committed to muscle memory, where a puzzle game isn't something you can really "memorize" - you have to develop an entirely different, often totally unique, sort of skill, one that takes a lot longer to develop than a generic platforming speedrun skill.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

HoldYourFire posted:

Does anyone know off-hand how much the bidding war for Cloud's date (Final Fantasy VII, natch) raised in the Summer Games Done Quick marathon?

:confused: We didn't play FF7 at SGDQ. It's at the next AGDQ.

Also: http://donations.uranium-anchor.com/tracker/

None of the bid data is entered for anything other than SGDQ, but you can read comments.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Oh wow, ignore me then.

Edit: Thanks anyway!

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Withhelde and I are about to do a race through Kid Chameleon, with the goal as "Visit 85 unique stages and beat the game". The 4boss run only goes through like half that many stages so check it out if you want to see some new material. I haven't played through this route at all so there will probably be some ad hoc strats and lots of deaths/swearing (we did the same race yesterday and I almost game overed).

http://justin.tv/peaches__

edit: got it under an hour, cool. For some reason the route's not as fun to me, though.

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 15, 2011

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
AGDQ2 page is live:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/marathon/

Yes, the banner will be replaced. Soon.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
There are a ton of games this marathon I'm going to want to see. No Cave Story though!

Also none of the notes for any of the Zeldagames mention a bidding war for filenames. Is this the end of Lunk :ohdear:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I can guarantee that Carcinogen's Human Revolution run is going to be insane. Not to be missed.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Is it wrong that the Quake shambler plushie sounds like the most awesome prize on that list? :3: Maybe it's just because I grew up on Quake.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
If you're going to do the fixed version of Toejam and Earl why even bother :colbert:?

Also Portal 2 is probably going to be awesome.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Speedrunner but not speedrun related, Cosmo is currently streaming his maiden voyage through Skyward Sword: http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Finally got around to looking at the schedule for January. I actually have those days off from work and school so I'm going to play videogames and watch you play videogames.

I hope you guys make a torrent for this one, I'm gonna buy a new hard drive and I hope this marathon can help fill it up! The one we had this year was double awesome for me because it happened during a weekend+week at school where it snowed us in so we couldn't go anywhere/do anything.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Silentman0 posted:

If you're going to do the fixed version of Toejam and Earl why even bother :colbert:?

Also Portal 2 is probably going to be awesome.

TJ+E is already incredibly, incredibly cruel on fixed. It's a very hard game to run. Random would be a)insane and b)impossible to plan ahead for by it's very essence.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Ok, so I have a dumb question relating to SDA.
Are segmented runs considered for Record stuff, or is it only Single Segment runs?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Azruelli posted:

Ok, so I have a dumb question relating to SDA.
Are segmented runs considered for Record stuff, or is it only Single Segment runs?

They are generally considered separate categories. Segmented runs are also judged with more scrutiny due to the freedom to retry that segmentation offers you.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Kyrosiris posted:

They are generally considered separate categories. Segmented runs are also judged with more scrutiny due to the freedom to retry that segmentation offers you.

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Does anyone know how speed runs work for the Wii?

I'm just wondering if using a usb back-up for the game is legal or separate category? The time saved on load times would provide a major difference compared to disc runs.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I doubt they allow it, but if they did, they would switch to PC game style timing, where they don't count load times.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ymysN3qQ8 Dark souls in 35 minutes.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Does anyone know how speed runs work for the Wii?

I'm just wondering if using a usb back-up for the game is legal or separate category? The time saved on load times would provide a major difference compared to disc runs.

It's not allowed to use the HD Loader on PS2, which sounds pretty similar to what you're describing here, so I doubt it would be allowed either. It's a question of official support. If there's no way to do it without modding the system, then the answer is generally 'no'.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 22, 2011

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Silentman0 posted:

Mike wont let me and Withhelde do Random :negative: Even worse, it's Toejam only :( co-op fixed is objectively slower since elevators act like chokepoints. But I'm going to drill it out for long enough that it should be worth the watch. I'll be attempting some Doorway hail mary strats to break the WR if I get extremely lucky (and scrap it if I'm unlucky after the first set of doorways I open).

Trust me, I love TJ&E Random as much as anyone, but it's really for the best since random can get so brutal that a gameover happens, especially since a Randomizer means starting from square 1. We'll probably get a chance to do Random co-op on the Bonus Stream though!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

In sort of a change of pace from the usual Bingo Races, a bunch of the usual SRL suspects are doing an OoT Draft Race (think like a football draft but you choose from a list of randomly generated goals to meet in each round). Peaches is streaming his attempt: http://www.justin.tv/peaches__#/w/2123024480

Edit: Apparently the DraftBot broke so they might have to redo the draft from the beginning.
Edit 2: They got it working, the drafted goals are listed here: http://speedrunslive.com/misc/jianophp/draft.php?id=19

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 24, 2011

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

In sort of a change of pace from the usual Bingo Races, a bunch of the usual SRL suspects are doing an OoT Draft Race (think like a football draft but you choose from a list of randomly generated goals to meet in each round). Peaches is streaming his attempt: http://www.justin.tv/peaches__#/w/2123024480

Edit: Apparently the DraftBot broke so they might have to redo the draft from the beginning.
Edit 2: They got it working, the drafted goals are listed here: http://speedrunslive.com/misc/jianophp/draft.php?id=19

I inadvertently pressed B on the single frame between when you trade Pocket Cucco for Cojiro, which swung my sword dumped my Bottle on B filled with bugs and deleted my gauntlets, making my goal essentially impossible :negative: (I needed strength to lift a rock covering a skulltula in Zora's Domain) (I could have done a gigantic bomb hover over a wall in Zora's Domain but gently caress that). I was really excited for this, too :( OoT speedruns are so drat frustrating in how easily you can just kill your whole run on accident. Guess that's what happens when you dick around with memory values.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Earlier today I streamed a bunch of no-reset Kid Chameleon runs to keep in shape for AGDQ, and got a 29:19 out of nowhere, which is over 30 seconds faster than my previous PR. I can definitely get under 29:00 just by drilling away minor 1-2 second hiccups, but this is the first "perfect" run I've hit and an SDA submission wouldn't look much different. If you haven't seen any of my Kid Chameleon runs yet, this is a good one to watch!

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Triple posting because Trihex is a few hours into his 24-hour mostly-Yoshis Island AGDQ donation marathon. Neskamikaze is visiting and they intend to interact with the audience a lot. It started out really entertaining, then I went to run some errands and came back to find they pitched, then immediately met, a shirtless drive :stare:

Just thought you guys might want to know.

Go check it out! http://www.twitch.tv/trihex

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is cosmo a goon?

As I said a couple weeks ago, my Dark Souls runs are starting soon. Maybe tomorrow. I'm sure I'll die on O&S and stuff because they are loving hard, but still, I feel I can complete the game quick enough, then slowly get better.

Are there any Dark Souls runners/racers on SRL?

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
i'm going to be starting running in just a few minutes. if you're interested in watching, visit https://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When you're trying to speed through Dark Souls, literally nothing goes right. Nothing.

Get to Gwyn in an hour - can't beat him in another hour of trying(wtf?). Restart
Get to Quelagg in 15 minutes - die because of a bullshit thing that shouldn't have hit me. gently caress you.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

waspinator posted:

When you're trying to speed through Dark Souls, literally nothing goes right. Nothing.

Get to Gwyn in an hour - can't beat him in another hour of trying(wtf?). Restart
Get to Quelagg in 15 minutes - die because of a bullshit thing that shouldn't have hit me. gently caress you.

That just sounds like speedrunning luck in general. :(

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Randomly running across a thread in SA-Mart made me want to see more crazy racing game speedruns. Are there any good glitched runs of racing games?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I recall Mario Kart on the SNES being really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojbpe2ZXxss

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Awesome Games Done Quick is just over a month away! The schedule hasn't really changed except for a few commentary/race changes. Including Withhelde getting dropped from Kid Chameleon cause he wasn't getting his times down, so I'll be doing KC solo :( speaking of which (and I swear this is my last Kid Chameleon mention for a while) I hit 28:55 the other day, totes submitting to SDA :holy:

waspinator posted:

Is cosmo a goon?

As I said a couple weeks ago, my Dark Souls runs are starting soon. Maybe tomorrow. I'm sure I'll die on O&S and stuff because they are loving hard, but still, I feel I can complete the game quick enough, then slowly get better.

Are there any Dark Souls runners/racers on SRL?

SRL went through a Dark Souls phase when the game was first released but everyone seems to have dropped it (kinda like Skyrim and Skyward Sword), although you could probably drum up some interest if you asked for a race. Also Cosmo has an account but hasn't posted in like years.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Randomly running across a thread in SA-Mart made me want to see more crazy racing game speedruns. Are there any good glitched runs of racing games?

The Mario Kart run posted above is good, as is the Mario Kart 64 tas. Biker Mice From Mars is also hilarious. Less conventionally, SSX3 has wormholes in every single race, making race mode a whole lot of carefully falling off the stage (and methodically doing 180's to trick the game into thinking you're accomplishing something in midair, bypassing the finicky auto-reset). The only track that doesn't utilize wormholes is Metro City, which isn't 'glitchy' but a perfect run hinges on a miniscule random chance that the second phone booth teleports you to the faster (and much rarer) of the two possible destinations. There's a lot of :rubshands: in SSX3 competitive play, which is why I dropped out of it pretty early.

Siglemic is planning a week-long SM64 marathon to break the 120 star WR on December 16-23. I threw a lil trailer together for him, plz send to your friends & family cause Sony Vegas is a pain in the rear end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0TH2HlP-PU

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
nevermind

waspinator fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 3, 2011

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Eat poo poo dark souls!

Fastest time: 01:14:36

Still kinda slow, but meh, it's improvable!

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Siglemic is planning a week-long SM64 marathon to break the 120 star WR on December 16-23. I threw a lil trailer together for him, plz send to your friends & family cause Sony Vegas is a pain in the rear end:

Wait, like an entire week straight? :stare:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

That's great and all, but holy hell this trailer video is amazing. Your efforts in Vegas are not unnoticed!

e: even the 1:20 runtime haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd love to see dark souls in the marathon. I think it could milk donations too in order to make it harder.

• Locked thread