Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

19 o'clock posted:

gently caress everything. Two weeks ago my bartender/buddy and I were chasing a thief from our pub. We made it down an alley and as I passed my pal he pushed me over thinking I was with the thief. Landed head first into a sign post.

Left the ER with a glued together forehead for a three inch or so gash down the middle. My left knee wouldn't budge the next day. I am missing my second game tonight because of it all and hope that there is nothing permanent done to my knee - doctor didn't seem to think there was.

Goddammit all. I never realized how bad I would feel for missing the games. For now I am getting beered up and cheering from the stands. I hope I make a full recovery.

please bring an airhorn for when your team scores. really rub it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Go pound on the glass like a douchebag whenever the play goes by you.

I would have missed our game last Sunday due to my own (lingering, shut up I'm still playing tomorrow night) knee injury, but it was apparently canceled last minute.

I was also tempted to show up and get boozed and "coach" from the bench.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Lawnie posted:

Or a vuvezela!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Played a scrimmage on NHL ice tonight, it was pretty rad. Won 4-3 (I think, nobody was running a scoreboard).

e: drat, looking at video of myself skating I really need to bend my knees more.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 18, 2011

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Actually went to see my old team play tonight, and made me feel awful because they're so unbelievably good this year. Damnit, I should have signed up with them.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Lawnie posted:

My team has two. From trains. A small one from a New York subway car for the regular season, and a massive three-chime diesel locomotive horn for the finals game (if - I mean when - we get into it). Both horns with hockey glove for size comparison. I can confirm, horns are pretty good for pissing off the competition.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

bytebark posted:

My team has two. From trains. A small one from a New York subway car for the regular season, and a massive three-chime diesel locomotive horn for the finals game (if - I mean when - we get into it). Both horns with hockey glove for size comparison. I can confirm, horns are pretty good for pissing off the competition.

:stare: That one on the right just looks dangerous to ears.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Which makes it even better.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Pleads posted:

I was also tempted to show up and get boozed and "coach" from the bench.

I made sure to chug some whiskey before attending last night. No coaching necessary: our team completed destroyed the other team. 6-0 victory with a shot count of 37 to 4. Completely one-sided game. My buddy was in the stands and we went nuts when the other team finally got a shot on net late in the second period.

The air horn sounds amazing, so do the train whistles...time to hit up eBay.

I'll post a picture of my poor head later when I'm home from work. My knee is feeling great, save or some extreme bends and motions. Two week vacation until the next game on account of Thanksgiving, so I hope to skate really easily next week and hopefully make the next game. Hopefully.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

WouldDesk posted:

:stare: That one on the right just looks dangerous to ears.

Not my clip or my horn, but the same exact type: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gMpd3MZGDw

I believe it's the same exact horn the NY Islanders use for goals. And we're going to use it for beer league.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

19 o'clock posted:

I made sure to chug some whiskey before attending last night. No coaching necessary: our team completed destroyed the other team. 6-0 victory with a shot count of 37 to 4. Completely one-sided game. My buddy was in the stands and we went nuts when the other team finally got a shot on net late in the second period.

You and your buddy sound like real douchers.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

perhaps you missed the part where he mocked a team less good at pseudohockey? douches dont do that.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

My outdoor season started up (concurrent with the indoor one we're also playing). I think the smaller outdoor rink is a big advantage to our fast players. My evidence is that we've won our first two games by a combined score of 26-8.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

sellouts posted:

Sorry, but spirits ran high. Considering that same team beat the poo poo out of us earlier this season, I felt okay with it.

Picture of my beat up dome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

^^^ poo poo dude. Stay safe out there, you may have to face Lord Voldemort in the playoffs.

--

We got our asses kicked at lunch, 9-3. The ex-captain of the local CHL team had seven goals on us, I think. I felt like a loving pylon out there today. One play, he lets me get literally 30 feet on him, headed into the boards, then proceeds to beat me to the puck. One of the scariest sounds I've ever heard was the croaking noise his skates made as he started to put forth :effort: to catch up to me. And I'm not that lovely (6/10 in our league rankings. Guys that played college usually get ranked 8 or 9).

Losing sucks extra hard when you're the worst player on the team :smith:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 18, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

perhaps you missed the part where he mocked a team less good at pseudohockey? douches dont do that.

but the difference is that he wasn't on the ice this time, you see. when he was they were much better. :iiam:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Dangerllama posted:

^^^ poo poo dude. Stay safe out there, you may have to face Lord Voldemort in the playoffs.

Haha, yep. Got my Harry Potter costume on lock for next year.

sellouts posted:

but the difference is that he wasn't on the ice this time, you see. when he was they were much better.

They lost some players due to injury, said the ref. We lucked out in keeping our anchor crew together. Dunno what to say besides sorry, mate.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I think bewbies posted them, but I've been practicing and trying out those evasion moves for defensemen and it's been working pretty well. I'm still a bit hesitant to use them in game situations, but it's getting better every time I skate. Well, at least I hope so!

e: nvm, it was dangerllama

Gio fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 19, 2011

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

19 o'clock posted:

Picture of my beat up dome.

You should get the Pyramids and the Sphinx tattooed on your forehead to go with that Nile-shaped scar.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 20, 2011

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
So I suited up for the first time since last December last night with the Bantam A (13-14yrs) team I coach. I coach with two other kids I graduated with in 2006 and last night made me realize how out of shape I am. We only had nine kids show up for practice (Saturday night, 9:15) so plus the three coaches we just played 3v3 half ice all night. It was a blast playing with them and I know they had fun. I would just stay up towards the blue line distributing to my team.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ugh. loving beer league. Of course we someone ejected again tonight. Thankfully it was just for 4 minors in the game (one was a double, he's generally not a bad guy). At the end of the game, something something cross-check...one of our guys took a swing at a 6'4" monster on the other team, who subsequently proceeded to grab him by the neck with one hand and literally lift him almost all the way off the ice, while slamming him into the boards.

The whole game was a series of 5-on-4's or 5-on-3's, usually with us on the PK for one reason or another. Half were bullshit calls (one ref literally tried to call a penalty on our player when a guy near him tripped and fell over the blue line), and the other half were legit (roughing, tripping, hooking) - but that's how it goes when your team is known for being a bunch of knuckle-draggers.

During the handshake ritual, I apologized to the ref for how out of hand we were. He told me I was the cleanest player on my team :smith:

I've been playing with some of these guys for almost 10 years, but poo poo's getting out of hand.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My review of the Easton EQ30 75 flex Zetterberg: lol

This is going to take some getting used to. If I flinch the shot is at head height... but the puck does pop off of the stick nicely.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

As if on queue from this thread, over post-game beers last night, we had a few people bring up the idea of having set PK lines with the "best" players instead of going through our rotation. Man that ended up being a heated discussion. It started to get awkward around the "Well, you're just as old and slow as I am, motherfucker!" point.

I guess this had to come out eventually. We're in our third season, doing really well, and are kind of at a funky crossroad. Either we continue to be that laid back team who values the fun factor more than anything, or we put a little more focus on building the team to win and be more competitive so we can move up a league. Sadly, I think this is going to divide the team and end up splitting it since there are people who aren't ready to move up:smith:

So glad I'm not a captain having to make these decisions. Yeesh.

On a side note to SJ goons, I think we're going to enter the California State Championship tournament in San Jose in April. This will be our first tournament as a team. Looking forward to it, even if we get crushed!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 21, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

As if on queue from this thread, over post-game beers last night, we had a few people bring up the idea of having set PK lines with the "best" players instead of going through our rotation. Man that ended up being a heated discussion. It started to get awkward around the "Well, you're just as old and slow as I am, motherfucker!" point.

I guess this had to come out eventually. We're in our third season, doing really well, and are kind of at a funky crossroad. Either we continue to be that laid back team who values the fun factor more than anything, or we put a little more focus on building the team to win and be more competitive so we can move up a league. Sadly, I think this is going to divide the team and end up splitting it since there are people who aren't ready to move up:smith:

So glad I'm not a captain having to make these decisions. Yeesh.

Our captain brought his buddy (who ended up not knowing how to skate at all, so wtf?) to play with us last night for some reason and tried to run 10 forwards with the extra guy swapping in on wing on alternating lines every other shift. Of course that was way too complicated and we had an unholy blowup on the bench after the first period before finally settling on the obvious solution and running 5 D and 9 forwards.

We also need to come up with some formula for who sits on a PK and stick with it because some people are getting pissed about ice time but drat, I'm not looking forward to that conversation because we apparently can't talk about icetime without everyone getting pissed off and talking over each other.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

On a side note to SJ goons, I think we're going to enter the California State Championship tournament in San Jose in April. This will be our first tournament as a team. Looking forward to it, even if we get crushed!

I played in that tournament last year, it was ridiculous. They did no policing of the different skill levels, so basically any team that didn't have 5 or 6 ringers got smoked. I heard that at the tournament this year they had 1 "friendly" match and moved teams that were way too good for the novice level up to the intermediate level. But still, the novices teams were stacked from top to bottom.

If you guys come, bring ringers, is what I'm trying to tell you.

As far as dedicated lines go for PP and PK, the team I sub for needs to do this. We were up 2-1 late in the 3rd when we got a penalty against us. We went with rotation and the absolute WORST line was due to go out there for the PK. The other team promptly tied the game. Worst part of it was there were 3 or 4 solid chances to clear the puck down and that line could not even wrist the puck clear. It was pathetic. Our goalie really laid into the team after the game, because that's like the third game in a row that they should have won, but tied because they can't kill penalties.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Got my new Reebok 8K bag on Saturday and used it last night. So far so good. Seems like it will be durable on the zippers and sides.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

trilljester posted:

I played in that tournament last year, it was ridiculous. They did no policing of the different skill levels, so basically any team that didn't have 5 or 6 ringers got smoked. I heard that at the tournament this year they had 1 "friendly" match and moved teams that were way too good for the novice level up to the intermediate level. But still, the novices teams were stacked from top to bottom.

As far as dedicated lines go for PP and PK, the team I sub for needs to do this. We were up 2-1 late in the 3rd when we got a penalty against us. We went with rotation and the absolute WORST line was due to go out there for the PK. The other team promptly tied the game. Worst part of it was there were 3 or 4 solid chances to clear the puck down and that line could not even wrist the puck clear. It was pathetic. Our goalie really laid into the team after the game, because that's like the third game in a row that they should have won, but tied because they can't kill penalties.

I wish I was better friends with some people I know who have brothers in D-1 hockey. Would be fun to just bring those guys.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

trilljester posted:

I haven't participated in a beer league before, so I may be unaware of the scale of skill level amongst teams, but, if you want to play the PK through your rotation, I think it would do wonders to just explain the basic Box PK and tell them not to break it, and not to chase the puck. Maybe some of the skaters aren't capable, but I know that I'm not extemely worried when I'm forced to play one of my worst defenders on the PK because disciplined positioning does wonders.

Just a thought, and take it for what it's worth since I'm not experienced in the beer league situation.

EDIT: Also, if you're having trouble with some lackluster defending, preach to your defense about holding the slot down. Just lift the stick and stay on the guy like a pest will do wonders for protecting your goalie.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Pandora will probably play in the women's division there. But yeah, they don't really enforce skill levels very accurately so prepare to get owned. To be honest it sounds like some dudes on your team need that. ;)

edit: also as a heads-up, if you're going to enter CAHA your team needs to register individually with USA Hockey - Skatetown league is ISI-affiliated so you aren't currently registered.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 21, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

trilljester posted:

That's pretty much what I figured.

I really don't see us bringing on any ringers just for the tournament. That means we'd have to leave a few people behind, which I think would hurt a few feelings. I think just having the experience will be good for us, even if we get smoked.

Do the teams hang out between/after games? Or do they all pretty much just hang out by themselves? The last tournament I was at, was for soccer when I was 14...

Topoisomerase posted:

Pandora will probably play in the women's division there. But yeah, they don't really enforce skill levels very accurately so prepare to get owned. To be honest it sounds like some dudes on your team need that. ;)

Man, you ref 1 game of ours and already got beef.... ;)
We're being good this season!

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Do the teams hang out between/after games? Or do they all pretty much just hang out by themselves? The last tournament I was at, was for soccer when I was 14...

Sharks Ice has a really nice bar upstairs that overlooks 3 of the rinks, so a lot of teams hang out up there. And since it's mainly beer leaguers from San Jose, everyone knows somebody, it's all good.

Awesome Animals posted:

I think it would do wonders to just explain the basic Box PK and tell them not to break it, and not to chase the puck.

Yeah, this is such a hard concept to get across to others. I actually worked on that at the last stick and puck session I went to with some teammates on my regular team. Our game last night had us on the PK once and we killed it without giving up a single shot because everyone stayed in the box and moved with the other team, it was a thing of beauty.

This team I sub for looked like a bunch of 7 year olds playing soccer, chasing the ball (in this case, puck) around. No box, no positioning, just chaos.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
That happened to my team last week. We usually play a pretty solid responsible game since we dont have the best skaters.

Came up against a good team that skates well, and we let them run around and chased them around like a pack of 5 year olds, got tired in the second period and they just walked all over us.

It's painful.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Awesome Animals posted:

Good basic advice that will fall on deaf ears

No one does what you say in beer league, which is the most frustrating part for anyone who's played under a legitimate coach before and had to skate laps at 5am for not listening.

D C posted:

That happened to my team last week. We usually play a pretty solid responsible game since we dont have the best skaters.

Came up against a good team that skates well, and we let them run around and chased them around like a pack of 5 year olds, got tired in the second period and they just walked all over us.

It's painful.

Are you on my team at Torrance / Skating Edge? This is basically what happened only instead of "chasing them around" we just coasted and didn't move our feet at all.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

No one does what you say in beer league, which is the most frustrating part for anyone who's played under a legitimate coach before and had to skate laps at 5am for not listening.

Yep, everyone thinks they know better cause they saw it on TV or whatnot.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The most frustrating part to me is that it seems as though most players just don't have an understanding of where they are on the ice and what to execute at that place.

Or they just completely overestimate their skill and try things that good team do when they're on a really bad team that is just going to turn the puck over.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Holy jesus what a game tonight.

Got a breakaway goal to put us 3-0 up in the first. However because I was on a breakaway and skating as fast as I could once the puck actually went into the net I realized I had to stop or I'd slam into the boards.

I then had the following thought process all in about the span of half a second as I passed by the goalie.

[list=1]
[*] I need to stop cause I'm going pretty drat fast
[*] poo poo if I try to hockey-stop I'm not sure I'd stay on my feet, it'd hurt slamming the boards at this speed
[*] Maybe I should try an Ovechkin since I scored and all
[*] I don't think I have enough time to jump up and turn around
[*] I think I'll just have to s-----
[/list]

As I proceeded to slam into the boards after slowing myself ever so slightly.

Thankfully it didn't hurt too bad then, but now I'm definitely feeling it.

Next period I managed to have a guy board me, then cross-check me while I was on the ice and then as the ref sent him to the box he got pissed and slapped the puck to the other end of the ice. Net penalties on him: 9 minutes.

Of course after all that we couldn't actually put anything in on the extended PP.

I did draw another penalty that period from a guy tripping me up as I received a pass. So while I only scored one, and assisted on another I like to think I also helped out with my being a penalty magnet.

I'm afraid to know what I'll feel like in the morning but I'm definitely popping some asprin tonight before I go to sleep.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
Just gathered up all my hockey gear for the first time since High school...about 6 years. My stick is a CCM Vector from back when 1 piece composites were news - the loving thing has a 110 flex. 110. I had no idea. I played with it for like 2 years in High school.

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011

trilljester posted:

This team I sub for looked like a bunch of 7 year olds playing soccer, chasing the ball (in this case, puck) around. No box, no positioning, just chaos.

Do you sub for my EEE team? Cause that's a pretty accurate description of how we played last night after the first. Awesome start got us up two goals and then we all got tired and let them walk all over us in the latter half of the game. We had a three game streak going too.

The schedulers keeps giving us two week breaks in between games and some of the guys don't skate at all between games and can't do anything in the game back. We do get to play at HP Pavilion in a few weeks though, so I'll learn how it feels to fall over NHL boards.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Matty D posted:

Just gathered up all my hockey gear for the first time since High school...about 6 years. My stick is a CCM Vector from back when 1 piece composites were news - the loving thing has a 110 flex. 110. I had no idea. I played with it for like 2 years in High school.

To be honest, depending on the age of the stick, composite sticks were all over the place early on as there wasn't a really well established standard for judging flex. I had a Nike stick that was burgundy and had a 220 Flex but it was flexier than my current 100 flex stick. Also, that 110 flex stick might have lasted because it didn't flex. A lot of guys like whippy sticks, but end up replacing them frequently. It's all in how much performance you would prefer over durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

sevorak posted:

Do you sub for my EEE team? Cause that's a pretty accurate description of how we played last night after the first. Awesome start got us up two goals and then we all got tired and let them walk all over us in the latter half of the game. We had a three game streak going too.

The schedulers keeps giving us two week breaks in between games and some of the guys don't skate at all between games and can't do anything in the game back. We do get to play at HP Pavilion in a few weeks though, so I'll learn how it feels to fall over NHL boards.

Nope, I sub for Miz up in E division. What team are you in EEE? My normal team is in the EEE division as well.