Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Drop: FF5, that new Ratchet and Clank, and COD4 for some reason?

Gonna get me some Tekken Hybrid and Corpse Party (then proceed not to probably play it until Vita comes out because that'd mean using my PSP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Policenaut posted:

Sony Bend, responsible for some of the best games on the PSP, is making Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Not Naughty Dog.

Sorry my point was about the franchise being on Vita. I know Naughty Dog is not behind it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

MUFFlNS posted:

GT5 has an attract mode. If you leave it idling on the main menu it randomly selects a track/weather/time/car and starts up a race for you to watch from the replay angles, in between glamour shots of the cars and pit crews etc.

Do you put quarters in your PS3? If not, there's no reason to attract you. It might be similar to an attract mode, but it's not one.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

...! posted:

Do you put quarters in your PS3? If not, there's no reason to attract you. It might be similar to an attract mode, but it's not one.

Surely they have done attract modes for DLC by now. Wait too long on a menu and hey there have a look at this sexy car pack available on the Playstation Network Store.

TangerineDream
Aug 1, 2006

White people did this
Is anyone else unable to sign into the PSN right now?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

...! posted:

Sometimes stores have video game systems hooked up on display and sometimes they have video games in these systems in order for customers to be able to play the video games to help inform them in their purchasing decisions and often these games will be left on the title screen at the kiosk. A boring old relatively static title screen doesn't say much about a game and is easy for a passing consumer to ignore. How does one go about attracting customers to try out the game and perhaps spend moneys on obtaining it for themselves?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

...! posted:

Just because it's not designed to get you to put pocket change into the machine doesn't mean it's not still called an attract mode. You could also call it a demo play, but the same terminology is also used at arcades, so you'll likely still complain about that.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

...! posted:

For what it's worth, the loops shown on the title screen of the game are still called attract modes -- at least behind-the-scenes. I see it constantly in debug menus, so even if the traditional definition doesn't quite apply anymore, it's still very much in use under the same name and basic functionality.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Lets argue the semantics of something of absolutely zero consequence to anyone :toot:

:holy::holy::holy::holy:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Baggot posted:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/11/21/jak-and-daxter-collection-coming-to-ps3-with-hd-3d-trophies/

Jak & Daxter HD Collection is coming in February. Not much of a surprise considering it was telegraphed heavily by retailer leaks etc. I'm looking forward to it since I never played them on PS2 and I've only become a big fan of Naughty Dog this generation thanks to Uncharted.

I can't wait to see the posts from people playing these games for the first time, or from people who forgot how bad they were. :allears:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I remember Jak 1 being a perfectly fine platformer/collect-a-thon game with a neat art style and some decent humor for Daxter. There's that at least. Maybe Sony will be cool and put all 3 games up on the PSN like they did for God of War and (soon) Sly Cooper.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

...! posted:

God be a semantics nazi or something maybe. Also, you're wrong about it.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I really hope this and the Sly collection mean that a Ratchet & Clank collection of the first three games (I'd be okay with skipping Deadlocked). Those games were tailor-made for trophy hunting with all the upgrades and collectables, and the fact that you got actual rewards back then like skins, art and videos would give me extra incentive to 100% them.

The Jak games were really good, though I wish they hadn't succombed to grittiness fever and done the time-traveling dystopian future stuff in the sequels. That first game was so lush in comparison.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

...! posted:

When they set up a game in a store for people to try out does it become an attract mode again? Does the context in which the animation is played define whether it is or isn't an attract mode? Does anyone even care?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Jak and Daxter owned until they gave him a goatee

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
The first Jak & Daxter is one of my all-time favourites. I always get the urge to replay it every now and then. That said, I hope they add camera options to this version. Last time I did try to replay it I gave up because I couldn't change the settings at all.

I know they didn't add any to the Prince of Persia collection, but that's Ubisoft, so... fingers crossed.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Jamesman posted:

I can't wait to see the posts from people playing these games for the first time, or from people who forgot how bad they were. :allears:

I forget which Jak I played (I think it was the second one) but I got it from Blockbuster with their rental pass and took it back later that same day because it was loving awful. The controls sucked and it was insanely difficult.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If it was so difficult you'd rather kill yourself than play it, yeah that was Jak 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Dirty Burger posted:

Jak and Daxter owned until they gave him a goatee

You could unlock a cheat in Jak 2 that let you remove it.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
I seem to remember going through the hard mode of Jak 2 and getting to a rail shooter segment that was almost entirely impossible. I would have 100%ed that game if it wasn't for that.

Never played Jak 3 though. I kind of liked how they did Jak 2, but I might change my mind if I picked it back up today.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So the StarHawk Private beta (not the Uncharted 3 one) is starting today apparently, for hardcore Warhawk players who have 'opted in for playstation emails'.

I'm pretty sure that's not me, but they've stated that they will be slowly expanding the beta outward to others.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Loved all of the Jak and Daxter series and very happy to see this coming out. I remember getting this early I think since my father worked in the warehouse at a Circuit City. To be honest, the game wasn't too difficult to me. Even after a few years of playing it and coming back to it over this summer, I beat it with no problem. I don't know if you guys just suck at it. :colbert:

But yes there are some parts in Jak 2 that it can go gently caress itself. Especially in hero mode where you're on the turret and have to shoot down all of the Krimzon Guard on the drilling platform. I would have to use the Dark Jak cheat and kill everyone in the beginning to have a chance against the 30 Krimzon Guards that would rape me.

Speaking of great PS2 games, have any of you guys played Ratchet and Clank All 4 One. Was wondering how it holds up compared to the others, and wouldn't mind playing it with a couple other goons when I get it for christmas.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
That turret/rail shooter on Hero Mode was the exact brick wall that I hit as well. Too bad the invulnerability cheat didn't transfer to the turret. I don't normally give up on games I like due to difficulty, but I must have retried that mission dozens of times. At least I'd already finished the game on normal mode.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Gonna get me some Tekken Hybrid

Tekken Hybrid is so, so satisfying. I'm loving it, I'm just mad that I don't remember all my combos with Ling Xiayou. The prologue for Tekken Tag 2 looks pretty awesome, too.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Mechanigma posted:

That turret/rail shooter on Hero Mode was the exact brick wall that I hit as well. Too bad the invulnerability cheat didn't transfer to the turret. I don't normally give up on games I like due to difficulty, but I must have retried that mission dozens of times. At least I'd already finished the game on normal mode.

Yeah, this is exactly what stopped me. Some of the harder segments you could just toggle invulnerability on, but that stupid rail shooter bit was nigh impossible with the damage you take.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Anyone know if this version of FF5 will have lovely load times or anything along those lines?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

J posted:

Anyone know if this version of FF5 will have lovely load times or anything along those lines?

I seem to recall the translation is pretty bad on this particular one. Like "Wyvern" is translated as "Y Burn."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Protect will always be Protes to me. :colbert:

If it's the one from the FF Anthology, then yeah, the translation is laughably bad. Don't know about load times though, they should be fine.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Morby posted:

Tekken Hybrid is so, so satisfying. I'm loving it, I'm just mad that I don't remember all my combos with Ling Xiayou. The prologue for Tekken Tag 2 looks pretty awesome, too.

Prologue is pretty sweet so far, just good god there are a lot of these "ending images" to unlock.

Also I've seemingly gone retarded and cannot remember what Bound moves Kazuya/Jin have to link into Tag Combos or what a "Balcony Break" is.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Prologue is pretty sweet so far, just good god there are a lot of these "ending images" to unlock.

Also I've seemingly gone retarded and cannot remember what Bound moves Kazuya/Jin have to link into Tag Combos or what a "Balcony Break" is.

Is there online play for Tekken Tag HD?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Neon Knight posted:

Is there online play for Tekken Tag HD?
Nope.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I'm going through the same. I used to be able to easily do combos with Ling Xiayou, but now I can't remember them all. Prologue looks like it's gonna be a really fun game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

sentrygun posted:

Protect will always be Protes to me. :colbert:

Ahahaha I love this

"Bro, hit me up with some protes. This guy's dee-peez are off the charts!"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does Starhawk have a general time frame for when it comes out? Like early 2012, summer, fall, etc.?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So Sony just announced MotorStorm RC, a downloadable shrunk down version of the series. Also apparently getting the PSN version also gets you the Vita game and your progress is shared. Kinda neat?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Been thinking about getting a PS3 soon, maybe Friday. Is killzone 2 still populated or should I just get 3 even through I know how bad the MP is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBX posted:

Been thinking about getting a PS3 soon, maybe Friday. Is killzone 2 still populated or should I just get 3 even through I know how bad the MP is.

I don't think anyone plays either anymore. Right now the big multiplayer games are CoD:MW3 and Uncharted 3 I think?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Feenix posted:

God be a semantics nazi or something maybe. Also, you're wrong about it.

Good to know I awakened Mr. Grumpy Pants. :)

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

RBX posted:

Killzone 3 was dead within four months. I don't know if anyone still plays KZ2, but they should because it was the best online FPS I have ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I don't think anyone plays either anymore. Right now the big multiplayer games are CoD:MW3 and Uncharted 3 I think?

BF3 is still crazy popular too.

• Locked thread