Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The Sherdog Rewind is really good, they do 2 hour interviews with important MMA figures - they've had Fox Sports VP Eric Shanks, Nick Lembo, the guy who runs the USADA, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Forceholy posted:

So what Boxing/MMA podcasts do you guys recommend?

MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I was about to mention the two above, they're pretty much the best source for interesting interviews and information.

If you follow twitter you might want to follow as many fighters as possible along with Dana White and ariel Helwani because they'll post video links to video blogs and or pod casts they're featured in.

Joe Lauzon does some cool stuff on youtube too.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

BlindSite posted:

If you follow twitter you might want to follow as many fighters as possible along with Dana White and ariel Helwani because they'll post video links to video blogs and or pod casts they're featured in.

https://twitter.com/ufc/fighters

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Meat Recital posted:

What I dont understand is how the mat work can be that different. The rules are different, and so are the techniques, but it's not like no one has ever seen a whizzer or an underhook in BJJ. I'm looking for a deeper understanding of why you can have good BJJ and bad wrestling when they share so much in common.

This is from a few pages back, but the basic issue is that BJJ rules don't have anything productive that you can do from a standing position besides take it to the ground. You start standing up, but the takedown is mostly a formality since the fight has to go to the ground. Submission wrestling also gives you more to do off of your back which means that a lot of takedowns won't get you as much.

American wrestling is primarily positional. You can win with a pin if you get it, yeah, but it's based around a philosophy of a controller/controlee relationship that lets you get a takedown, show control and then let go for a catch and release style. There's no real attacking, just positional control.

You can get a better idea of a lot of this by looking at the Kosen Judo stuff that happened around 1925. One of the big things is that you just get more value out of training your groundwork in a format that doesn't allow strikes but does allow submissions.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
One of the things that seems to help wrestlers is that they seem to be used to working in much smaller margins of error than BJJ guys. They'll fight tooth and nail to have their back a fraction of an inch off the ground. It's really hard to pin a guy or avoid getting pinned by a guy who's used to working to that level of precision. I never really got into boxing, but when I did, there was a dude at my gym who used to wreck everyone. Just seemed a full beat faster. He came from fencing, and so, to him, getting that first hit was vital. Wearing a few hits on the way in was entirely unacceptable. He also hit really hard, so he'd be landing nasty, unanswered shots while the other guy was still in the feeling out stage.

My question relates to the gassing out phenomenon. Fights go for fifteen to twenty five minutes, yet guys are often breathing really goddamn hard and pawing at each other by the end. I'm assuming their training sessions last more than that, so how does this happen?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Fights are physically and mentally exhausting and no matter how much you prepare it'll never be the same as the real thing.

In training, there's no pressure or nerves. When you are in the ring fighting for your career, it's totally different.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Also in a fight you are throwing at full power, giving your all into every shot and scramble, etc. You usually don't train like that because you could get injured more easily.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

1st AD posted:

Also in a fight you are throwing at full power, giving your all into every shot and scramble, etc. You usually don't train like that because you could get injured more easily.

There's also the matter of your fighting background, especially for inexperienced fighters. For example, NCAA wrestling matches last 7 minutes, BJJ matches 10 minutes (under IBJJF), so guys will train to have that much cardio. Most guys will be able to develop MMA cardio, but it takes some time.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

One of the things that seems to help wrestlers is that they seem to be used to working in much smaller margins of error than BJJ guys. They'll fight tooth and nail to have their back a fraction of an inch off the ground. It's really hard to pin a guy or avoid getting pinned by a guy who's used to working to that level of precision. I never really got into boxing, but when I did, there was a dude at my gym who used to wreck everyone. Just seemed a full beat faster. He came from fencing, and so, to him, getting that first hit was vital. Wearing a few hits on the way in was entirely unacceptable. He also hit really hard, so he'd be landing nasty, unanswered shots while the other guy was still in the feeling out stage.

My question relates to the gassing out phenomenon. Fights go for fifteen to twenty five minutes, yet guys are often breathing really goddamn hard and pawing at each other by the end. I'm assuming their training sessions last more than that, so how does this happen?

The other thing about gassing is taking shots to the body makes it a lot harder to get your wind back. People talked poo poo about bjs cardio in the Diaz fight but he got worked to the body all through the second round.

Throwing with full power getting hit with full power, adrenaline. It all contributes.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

BlindSite posted:

The other thing about gassing is taking shots to the body makes it a lot harder to get your wind back. People talked poo poo about bjs cardio in the Diaz fight but he got worked to the body all through the second round.

Throwing with full power getting hit with full power, adrenaline. It all contributes.

The problem with all the talk about conditioning is that it's actually 5-6 related things. Getting punched makes it harder, being jittery makes it harder (Foreman talked about this being a factor in his comebacks)etc. If you took a marathon runner and put them in a cage with a pro Muay Thai fighter they'd look pretty gassy after the first round.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

The problem with all the talk about conditioning is that it's actually 5-6 related things. Getting punched makes it harder, being jittery makes it harder (Foreman talked about this being a factor in his comebacks)etc. If you took a marathon runner and put them in a cage with a pro Muay Thai fighter they'd look pretty gassy after the first round.

The other thing too that I forgot to mention is there's a difference between striking cardio and grappling. I've got friends who fight MT at an amateur level one of whom in particular has a great gas tank, will throw punches in bunches at speed and move well late into the final round.

He came to a BJJ class to try it out and I outworked him easily and my cardio isn't great.

Shogun Rua has this weakness and Rashad has shown something like the same issue in the past.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

One thing that bad grapplers do is try to fight losing battles. They'll try to buck a guy that has them mounted instead of working for half guard. It's like trying to punch every second, even if the other guy is ten feet away.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

One thing that bad grapplers do is try to fight losing battles. They'll try to buck a guy that has them mounted instead of working for half guard. It's like trying to punch every second, even if the other guy is ten feet away.

Yeah I notice that a lot, fighters will either panic or just not think and instead of trying to re-gain their guard from side control or mount and look to separate and stand from there they'll try to fight back to their feet from a really bad position.

unf
Mar 6, 2004

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

If you took a marathon runner and put them in a cage with a pro Muay Thai fighter they'd look pretty gassy after the first round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKaO-0OveJc

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He said after the first round :colbert:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BlindSite posted:

The other thing too that I forgot to mention is there's a difference between striking cardio and grappling. I've got friends who fight MT at an amateur level one of whom in particular has a great gas tank, will throw punches in bunches at speed and move well late into the final round.

He came to a BJJ class to try it out and I outworked him easily and my cardio isn't great.

Shogun Rua has this weakness and Rashad has shown something like the same issue in the past.

This doesn't really suggest that 'grappling cardio' is any different. New guys do everything in the most energy-ineffficient way possible, and freak out and gas themselves and that's experience, nothing to do with some special type of cardio. I'm not saying there's not a difference because grappling and striking are quite different in energy expenditure, just saying this is really not a good example.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in Australia so I'm watching the old UFCs :smug: :smug:

I swear to god I keep seeing Dana hanging around in the background. Am I just hallucinating? I know he was hanging around Pride obviously, but was he known to hang around pre-Zuffa UFC?

edit: I think i've answered my own question. If he managed Lidell in pride, I assume he'd be around UFC as well...

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 17, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

LordPants posted:

I'm in Australia so I'm watching the old UFCs :smug: :smug:

I swear to god I keep seeing Dana hanging around in the background. Am I just hallucinating? I know he was hanging around Pride obviously, but was he known to hang around pre-Zuffa UFC?

edit: I think i've answered my own question. If he managed Lidell in pride, I assume he'd be around UFC as well...

Tito too. He was a manager and convinced his old school buddies to buy the UFC when it was up for sale. Everyone shits on Dana but, as far as anyone knows, he treated Chuck and Tito squarely and took a personal risk on a sport that was flat out illegal in most of the country.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Seeing Dana with hair is bizarre. He also appeared to be a lot more reticent in public back then; just after he purchased ownership in the UFC he unbelievably did not drop the words 'human being' or 'gently caress' in public appearances.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
We've had discussions about why 12-6 elbows and four-point attacks are banned in the Unified Rules, but I'm curious as to why shoes are banned. Mark Coleman's been quoted as saying that wrestling shoes gave him a lot more power when grappling, but I don't know if the ban was as straightforward as that would suggest.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

We've had discussions about why 12-6 elbows and four-point attacks are banned in the Unified Rules, but I'm curious as to why shoes are banned. Mark Coleman's been quoted as saying that wrestling shoes gave him a lot more power when grappling, but I don't know if the ban was as straightforward as that would suggest.

The thought is that the laces and other seams on the shoes have the potential to cause cuts when kicking, and would also make kicks more damaging.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Dennis Hallman promotes his grappling sock, which is legal for MMA and supposedly gives you more traction. I'm not sure why it isn't more popular with grapplers.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kimbo305 posted:

Dennis Hallman promotes his grappling sock, which is legal for MMA and supposedly gives you more traction. I'm not sure why it isn't more popular with grapplers.

makes it harder to grab the fence with your toes?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

kimbo305 posted:

sounds goofy and poo poo.

abortionfailure
Jun 29, 2006

perpetuatin the stereotype

kimbo305 posted:

He wore a speedo and exposed his balls in the cage. Hes not exactly the guy to listen to when it comes to fight wear.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
OK, now that I actually looked up what a grappling sock looks like I'd say that I actually have seen several fighters wear at least one of those in the cage. As for why more people don't use them, I imagine one reason is that they probably make it a lot harder to slip out of foot/ankle locks.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

OK, now that I actually looked up what a grappling sock looks like I'd say that I actually have seen several fighters wear at least one of those in the cage. As for why more people don't use them, I imagine one reason is that they probably make it a lot harder to slip out of foot/ankle locks.

I used to wear hayabusa ones of those, they give your opponent more traction when grabbing your foot area too. I find though that it makes it easier to hip escape and plant for a takedown though. They stop me from slipping during sparring too when I do boxing or kick boxing. Mine just wore out.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BlindSite posted:

I used to wear hayabusa ones of those, they give your opponent more traction when grabbing your foot area too. I find though that it makes it easier to hip escape and plant for a takedown though. They stop me from slipping during sparring too when I do boxing or kick boxing. Mine just wore out.

Did the grip on the bottom wear off? I had some from a different company that actually also covered the toes and they were great for baby-soft skin like mine but within a month or two the grip came off and shooting became harder.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Neurosis posted:

Did the grip on the bottom wear off? I had some from a different company that actually also covered the toes and they were great for baby-soft skin like mine but within a month or two the grip came off and shooting became harder.

Yeah that was the main drama, the grip wore off and even after washing them multiple times and even soaking them in febreeze and vinegar on seperate occasions they stunk real bad.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Joe Lauzon complained about George Sotiropoulos exploiting this exception as being against the spirit of the no pants rule before their fight. In the Pellegrino fight Sotiropoulos is wearing two grappling socks and knee braces that go from his thigh down his shin so that his legs were a grapplers dream. Why people don't wear them I am unsure, kicking related perhaps?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Thermos H Christ posted:

Be careful to distinguish between an ankle support:

and a grapple sock:

The ankle support, which you see lots of people wear in kickboxing and sometimes in MMA, is for compression and a tiny bit of padding if you land too far down on your shin and onto your instep. It can probably provide grip at the ankles that a grappler might want, but it doesn't have special grip material on the bottom and doesn't go down to the ball of the foot like the grapple sock, which will help more with shots (and perhaps getting leg locked).

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

mobn posted:

The thought is that the laces and other seams on the shoes have the potential to cause cuts when kicking, and would also make kicks more damaging.

Not just that, it gives wrestlers an unfair advantage. Also Heath Herring tore his own knee apart throwing a kick in wrestling shoes.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Tickle Me Chelmno posted:

Not just that, it gives wrestlers an unfair advantage. Also Heath Herring tore his own knee apart throwing a kick in wrestling shoes.

both of these things are positives...?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Anything that makes wrestlers win is cool in my book.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

NovemberMike posted:

Anything that makes wrestlers win is cool in my book.

They win anyways because it is easily the best martial art

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

donglelord posted:

They win anyways because it is easily the best martial art

I always thought it was hilarious how everyone thought that the early UFCs were a testament to the utility of BJJ when they were really a testament to how being genuinely surprised when someone grabs your leg is bad. Everyone in UFC 1-5 had hilariously bad takedown defense.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NovemberMike posted:

I always thought it was hilarious how everyone thought that the early UFCs were a testament to the utility of BJJ when they were really a testament to how being genuinely surprised when someone grabs your leg is bad. Everyone in UFC 1-5 had hilariously bad takedown defense.

That was kind of the point. A big reason UFC came into being was to prove the superiority of BJJ to the American audience. They didn't want to recruit elite wrestlers early on, especially for the first tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The best thing that happened in the early UFCs was when the ninja won by being a ninja. But yeah, Royce Gracie as he was in UFC 1 would be destroyed by any good modern fighter ten pounds lighter than him.