Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Grez posted:

you wouldn't be arsed if you'd bought some decent players with it and were top of the league.

I honestly don't know how I'd feel if we were in City's position. I've always said I'd much, much rather us follow Arsenal's blueprint than any other big team but perhaps once we were linked with every superstar in the world and won everything I'd feel differently. Seems so hollow though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

tekz posted:

Don't think that's correct, mate

Put in a position where a club is forced to sell a player (Pastore, Sanchez, Fabregas, take your pick of any of the disillusioned/wantaway players out there), do you think the club would prefer to drive up that price as much as possible or take solace in the fact that everyone's capped at £30mil per window?

City/Chelsea/Madrid/United/etc... have money to spend on wage bills. They'll get whoever they want regardless of how much they're allowed to spend per window. Whatever false sense of comparative normalcy a transfer fee cap will provide (Assuming £30mil = best player available that window) will work against clubs forced to sell players. And if City hit their £30mil cap before they sign PlayerX, that just means PlayerX is going to a different club that will offer similar wages instead. Smaller club still gets bent over the table.

Wages dictate everything. If the bench players at City weren't making £100k a week, they wouldn't have moved to Manchester even if City spent £100mil on their transfer fee (Hyperbole, obviously).

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I love the 'Doing X doesn't solve the problem. In fact,' cliches that pop up whenever X is putting in place any kind of rule or regulation to make things fairer. Clubs being able to hold on to their good players instead of just being feeder teams to the rich ones would lead to better attendances and matchday revenue, a better chance of promotion/staving off relegation, a higher chance of improved league positions and resultant greater share of the TV revenue pool etc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I want to say its kind of refreshing supporting a club with a proper, sound financial plan. Even if it was helped along somewhat by somehow selling Andy Carroll for £35m

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Someone had to hand Man United their worst home loss in near 100 years so I am glad City spent the money in all honesty.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Pissflaps posted:

No my argument is still that Manchester City are doing nothing that plenty of other clubs havent done, including Manchester United. They're just doing it on a grander scale.

I don't remember Manchester United ever being owned by by a sugar daddy who bought them all the best players.

Must have been before my time.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

I just couldn't take satisfaction in winning anything when the owners of my club spent the kind of sums Chelsea and now City are spending.

get off your pedestal

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I desperately wish my club would suddenly come into millions out of nowhere. Oh wait, that happened, and turned out to be a hilarious hoax, and we nearly loving died. (notts county)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Lot 49 posted:

I don't remember Manchester United ever being owned by by a sugar daddy who bought them all the best players.

Must have been before my time.

You're a Manchester United fan its ok you can just say you think we're cunts without trying to justify it by pretending you're any better than us

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Are any of your clubs owned by Skeletor? thought not

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
Remember when Portsmouth almost went out of business those were the days

so what's all this about wage structure?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

You're a Manchester United fan its ok you can just say you think we're cunts without trying to justify it by pretending you're any better than us

At least united isn't funded on the back of slavery I guess.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Byolante posted:

I'm sure none of their tops that are sold around the world are made by kids in terrible conditions

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Byolante posted:

no thats liverpool

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
^^^^
Just because American plastics will post obliviously for free it doesn't make it slavery.

Jose posted:

I'm sure none of their tops that are sold around the world are made by kids in terrible conditions

Nike sweatshops vs importing workers from the third world then confiscating their passports so they are unable to go home. Hmmm, if only you could work out which was worse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So some forms of slavery are worse than others nice to know :thumbsup:

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

Byolante posted:

Nike sweatshops vs importing workers from the third world then confiscating their passports so they are unable to go home. Hmmm, if only you could work out which was worse.

Does it matter which one is worse? They're both pretty shady.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Byolante posted:

^^^^
Just because American plastics will post obliviously for free it doesn't make it slavery.

I don't think this is what fans of big 4 clubs people who object to City's spending are thinking of when they have a little cry about us

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
I knit my own shirts from wheat but that's just because Pompey can't afford even child labour at this point

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Someone convince me about a wage cap because I can't see it help at all and it's astonishingly anti-competitive and possibly illegal.

Also trivial to circumvent.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dudley posted:

Someone convince me about a wage cap because I can't see it help at all and it's astonishingly anti-competitive and possibly illegal.

What would you set the salary cap at and why. Either it would be beyond the means of most of the teams spending themselves into nothing achieving precisely gently caress all or all the pricey players would gently caress off to Qatar like Gyan.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

I quite like City. I don't think there's anything wrong with spending all your owners money and if United don't win the league then I hope City do. Manchester pride :)

I just think it's silly to say that how they are achieving success is the same as how United did it.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it
A wage cap can't work unless it's implemented by FIFA across all countries and applied fairly. With FIFA's record for fair and transparent dealings in financial areas this is a plan that can't fail.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I do not see the difference between a club attracting a single investor from the middle east, and another a million investors from the far east.

Quoting this so people notice it

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Ewar Woowar posted:

I just couldn't take satisfaction in winning anything when the owners of my club spent the kind of sums Chelsea and now City are spending.

It's kind of like playing Ultimate Soccer Manager, but editing the player stats beforehand so that everyone was 99 in each stat. Fun to pummel a load of teams, but it's not really like you've done anything involving skill.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I've done an analysis by using Excel and assorted variables. These include cunty players, cunty fans, how shady the financial framework is, labour rights in the third world and arabic countries, etc.

My conclusion is that we're all cunts, some marginally worse than others. I'll upload the spreadsheet later.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Your (whichever) team has more money and resources and options than any team lower down the pyramid, therefore supporting any club that isn't at the lowest level of the pyramid is ultimately a pointless exercise since you started with a loaded deck anyway.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Researchers have found that salary caps, revenue sharing and luxury taxes didn't increase parity in american sports leagues. So it is doubtful they would in Europe.

Our only remaining option is to implement a draft.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 23, 2011

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://football365.com/news/21554/7326534/Wenger-Not-Sure-UEFA-Will-Enforce-FFP-Rules

Wenger is optimistic about it

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Vinestalk posted:

Restricting transfer fees doesn't solve the big problem. If anything, you're just hurting smaller clubs dependent on selling the players they nurture/create. The big clubs would absolutely love it if they were almost always guaranteed to be able to sign whoever they wanted for £30mil. The Fabregas saga in particular would have had a slightly more hilarious/depressing outcome had there been a cap on spending per window.
Not per player. In total!! But otherwise, yeah.

Lot 49 posted:

I quite like City. I don't think there's anything wrong with spending all your owners money and if United don't win the league then I hope City do. Manchester pride :)

I just think it's silly to say that how they are achieving success is the same as how United did it.
But it doesn't really matter how it was achieved because once you do achieve it, the current structure favours keeping you there. This creates an environment where other clubs aren't really left with any option but to spend a lot of money to compete for anything.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

8raz posted:

Not per player. In total!! But otherwise, yeah.

But it doesn't really matter how it was achieved because once you do achieve it, the current structure favours keeping you there. This creates an environment where other clubs aren't really left with any option but to spend a lot of money to compete for anything.

Looking forward to Qatar bankrolling a 400m per year loss to supplant City with Reading.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Byolante posted:

Looking forward to Qatar bankrolling a 400m per year loss to supplant City with Reading.
Thought experiment Byolante: Stoke get bought tomorrow and become the richest club of all time. They then buy Barcelona FC and simply field their starting 11. How do you react?

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
The same clubs should continue to be big clubs because they got there first and it's unfair for fans who picked those big clubs to see someone else come along and take that away.

HOW AM I GOING TO MAKE POSTS LAUGHING AT ARSENAL IF UNITED DON'T WIN TROPHIES ANY MORE EITHER????

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

8raz posted:

Thought experiment Byolante: Stoke get bought tomorrow and become the richest club of all time. They then buy Barcelona FC and simply field their starting 11. How do you react?

I'm guessing surprised.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Meanwhile, back at Portsmouth a euro wide arrest warrant is issued for their owner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-15859800

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

MattWPBS posted:

It's kind of like playing Ultimate Soccer Manager, but editing the player stats beforehand so that everyone was 99 in each stat. Fun to pummel a load of teams, but it's not really like you've done anything involving skill.

you pathetic oval office

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

willkill4food posted:

Researchers have found that salary caps, revenue sharing and luxury taxes didn't increase parity in american sports leagues. So it is doubtful they would in Europe.

Our only remaining option is to implement a draft.
Yes they do.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2885/europe/2011/11/23/2770887/uefa-drop-proposals-to-impose-strict-penalties-on-clubs-that

basically its all a massive joke!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Dudley posted:

Meanwhile, back at Portsmouth a euro wide arrest warrant is issued for their owner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-15859800

Remember when nikolai asked for the thread title to be changed because it was unfair?

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Dudley posted:

If all the greedy talented players are already soaking up the biggest chunk of their club's wage bill, they don't really have a reason to leave for City/Anzhi. Especially when players like Tevez and Eto'o are already soaking up most of the wage bill at their respective clubs.

Really, the only legitimate way to circumvent wage bill regulations is having a bunch of talented players willingly take lower wages to play together. Illegitimate ways can vary between "gift giving," outside of the wage bill or providing assets to players (Like houses, cars. etc...). But diving into those waters will more than likely get you a swift visit from HM Revenue.

As previously mentioned, the toughest part about wage caps is making sure it's fair across every country/league. Which won't happen because FIFA/UEFA are too lazy/incompetent to sort it out.

• Locked thread