Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
Anyone participating in the Broadway Bomb tomorrow in NYC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Annual Montreal -> Barn trip montage!

http://vimeo.com/29634888

The second song was recorded at like 3 in the morning around the campfire and many beers crushed. We had a pal come along that had never skated before but just came for the good vibes, he learned to drop in- it was awesome!

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
So truthfully I'm just an ex-skater who rides longboards now, but my Miniglider is my daily driver and i'm so in love with it

But after watching a few Dave Gravette videos and hopping on my friend's new Creature Skate Horde for a day, I've been desperately wanting a P2 creature street deck.

And then this poo poo happened on my way back from class today.
http://imgur.com/a/CgXwJ
http://imgur.com/a/8zi57
:what:
Goddammit, universe. Not cool with the timing.
Now I need one.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Holy poo poo that wall is dope. Must be Cali.

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
Believe it or not, Chicago.
That's right on Lake Michigan, across the street from Grant Park and in the "museum campus" area where the Shedd Aquarium/Field Museum/Adler Planetarium all are.

Might not be entirely legal, but cops give me enough poo poo here as is. I'm polite enough.

In other news, I'm building a deck now because of that oh-so-fine skate.ly discount. Lookin for something to ease back into street-style from cruising for a few years now.

Have I completely lost my deckbuilding skills?

If the answer is yes, then I'm saying gently caress it and just building this bad boy up instead:

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009
I've been reading this thread for a bit, just got back into skating after a hiatus of about a decade - I recently picked up a cheap deck off some guy off a car forum with venture trucks and flip side cuts! The wheels and bearings were a bit shot though so I ordered a set of bones str 54mm wheels and some reds bearings, the whole lot rocked up today and after a bit of a struggle putting the bearings in by hand (such a pain, definitely going to use a bearing press next time) and I've gotta say, makes such an amazing difference! Feels like skating on ice or something, soo very good! Only slight thing is, the 54mm wheels make the deck a bit higher, are there any downsides to raising the center of gravity a bit?

Setup looks a bit like this:

Not A Bear fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 17, 2011

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
Next time, put the bearing on the truck, then slide the wheel down and press on. A lot easier than trying to push them in with your fingers. The only downside to taller wheels is having to work a little bit harder to push and to ollie, you just need to bend your knee a little more to push and pop the tail a little harder. The upside is less wheel bite and a better turning radius. Plus, tiny cracks and rocks won't give you a mouthful of concrete!

Finishing up some grip tape art for my longboard

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009
Wow, that looks fantastic! Is there any special paint needed to paint grip tape?

Money Walrus posted:

Next time, put the bearing on the truck, then slide the wheel down and press on. A lot easier than trying to push them in with your fingers. The only downside to taller wheels is having to work a little bit harder to push and to ollie, you just need to bend your knee a little more to push and pop the tail a little harder. The upside is less wheel bite and a better turning radius. Plus, tiny cracks and rocks won't give you a mouthful of concrete!

Huh, yeah that sounds a lot more straight forwards - Dont think I'd ever tried putting bearings in wheels before haha, so I really wasnt too sure whether I could damage the bearings or something. Yeah its kinda weird when pusing with the larger wheels, feels like you have to step down a bit further, even though the previous wheels were only 53mm (they were rather worn though, wouldnt be surprised if they were closer to 52mm actually)

I can land a rolling ollie though now, its pretty small, but I'm rather stoked :D

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

Not A Bear posted:

Wow, that looks fantastic! Is there any special paint needed to paint grip tape?

Huh, yeah that sounds a lot more straight forwards - Dont think I'd ever tried putting bearings in wheels before haha, so I really wasnt too sure whether I could damage the bearings or something. Yeah its kinda weird when pusing with the larger wheels, feels like you have to step down a bit further, even though the previous wheels were only 53mm (they were rather worn though, wouldnt be surprised if they were closer to 52mm actually)

I can land a rolling ollie though now, its pretty small, but I'm rather stoked :D

It's actually cut out of the tape, took me a million hours and about 20 exacto blades. Afterwards, to keep the smaller cut details from lifting up, I paint the edges of the grip tape with clear nail polish to preserve it. I sanded the bottom of the deck too, and finished it with a mixture of beeswax and mineral oil - gives it a great looking waterproof surface.

Yea, when I switch from the longboard (which has huge wheels and angled riser pads) to the short trick board I have I always feel stranger, like I'm too close to the ground.

Props to you for landing a rolling ollie, I skated a popsicle stick when I was a teenager, gave up for a while, then got big into longboard, and it's only these past few months that I've gotten back into technical skating - I just learned how to do a standing ollie, but when I try to do it while rolling, I either chicken out or do a half assed pop. Gotta leap into it!

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009
Thats really impressive, very nice work! Dont think I'd have the patience to sit down and do something like that :)

Yeah it took me a while to work up the courage to try rolling, I spent ages on the carpet getting the motion right - and strangely enough, its almost easier rolling faster, the board feels so much more stable - which is rather counter intuitive/scary haha :D Havent actually managed to ollie anything though, keep bailing out or not poppingthe rear wheels over :)

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

Not A Bear posted:

Thats really impressive, very nice work! Dont think I'd have the patience to sit down and do something like that :)

Yeah it took me a while to work up the courage to try rolling, I spent ages on the carpet getting the motion right - and strangely enough, its almost easier rolling faster, the board feels so much more stable - which is rather counter intuitive/scary haha :D Havent actually managed to ollie anything though, keep bailing out or not poppingthe rear wheels over :)

Ollies are most definately eaiser to do while rolling, convincing yourself that is the hurdle.

quastenflosser
Sep 7, 2011
What's the first slide a beginner should learn? I've been commuting on my longboard (landyachtz dropcarve) for about a month now and have gotten comfortable enough to try sliding, but everything I've read about where to start is contradicting. Any tips of getting over the ridiculous :ohdear:mental block:ohdear: aspect are appreciated as well.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
Start with Coleman slides, they`re really handy to know and not to mention fun as all hell.

Here`s a great video of Cliff Coleman explaining the slide, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcQpcvkylGs

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

Mugmoor posted:

Start with Coleman slides, they`re really handy to know and not to mention fun as all hell.

Here`s a great video of Cliff Coleman explaining the slide, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcQpcvkylGs

The biggest question is, what kind of wheels are you using? If you got a complete, I'm guessing it came with Zombie Hawgs. Zombies are the best wheels to learn to slide on aside from ABEC 11 freerides, in my opinion. The ABECs are only $30 and I'm sure they last for ages. I've been sliding really hard on mine for the last month and they've hardly worn at all. I'm sure it will take at least a year's worth of big skate sessions for me to core them.

I suggest getting them. Zombie Hawgs have a horrible wear pattern. Once you learn to slide, your zombies will be gone in 4-8 months depending on how much/hard you skate.

If you want some nice "noob wheels" get ABEC 11 freeride 77mm 81a

You can throw your board sideways real easily. I'm using them to learn how to do standups.

PS, standups are just as useful as coleman slides.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWrcfANCxR4
He may be young, but he knows what he is talking about!

Just don't ever buy the Tan Tien.

ZanderZ fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 3, 2011

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

quastenflosser posted:

What's the first slide a beginner should learn? I've been commuting on my longboard (landyachtz dropcarve) for about a month now and have gotten comfortable enough to try sliding, but everything I've read about where to start is contradicting. Any tips of getting over the ridiculous :ohdear:mental block:ohdear: aspect are appreciated as well.

The biggest single tip I can give for coleman slides is to roll your back foot all the way down. You keep your front foot in a pretty much regular stance and crouch down with your back leg more or less against the board.
Other than that, carve opposite your slide, then turn back in. When you turn into the slide you want your forward hand close to the ground, so you can transfer a comfortable amount of weight to it. Use your rolled back foot to push the back end of the board as far as you want it to go. Also, avoid learning it "stinkbug" at all costs.

Edit: I'll plug the 82a Landyachtz Zombie Hawgs for sliding wheels. They might be a little pricey, and I'm not crazy about how fast they core, but I'm pretty sure they're made of butter.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 3, 2011

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

Yerok posted:

Edit: I'll plug the 82a Landyachtz Zombie Hawgs for sliding wheels. They might be a little pricey, and I'm not crazy about how fast they core, but I'm pretty sure they're made of butter.

I'll second the fact that they're made of butter.

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXqmRAUsn9U&feature=related

I found this in the related videos and it has convinced me that I need to do something with the trucks on my longboard. I always assumed it was hard to maneuver because of its length, but the boards in the video look about the same length as mine and seem to be turning relatively easily.

My current set up is basically this:

http://www.mindlesslongboards.com/maverick/

Any advice on reducing the turning circle. Ideally, I want to be able to pump on this thing.

quastenflosser
Sep 7, 2011
^^ Might be obvious, but have you loosened your trucks at all? Or tried softer bushings? Someone more knowledgeable might have better ideas but in my experience those are big factors in your turning radius.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Right now I've actually got a set of 83a Orangatang stimulus wheels on (in addition to Paris 180s and whatever stock cone bushings came with them) that allegedly slide well. Those Colemans look awesome, if it's dry this weekend I'll give it a go. I would love to learn standups as well but honestly they look more intimidating for some reason.

quastenflosser fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 4, 2011

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
2 important things for Coleman slides: Go faster, and get your rear end as close to the ground as possible. Not joking. Ideally, you are going wreck the rear end of a few pairs of pants/shorts figuring out just how close your rear end can get to the pavement. This puts your weight on your hand and behind the board.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone roll around on a penny? I'm thinking of grabbing one but I'm not sure If I'm too big for such a small board. I'm about 220 pounds, 5'11''.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
What size is it?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

bowmore posted:

Anyone roll around on a penny? I'm thinking of grabbing one but I'm not sure If I'm too big for such a small board. I'm about 220 pounds, 5'11''.

Well if you are worried about breaking it, I don't think that will be an issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkwuXI3Z514&feature=related

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sirkus posted:

What size is it?
22.5" L x 6" W | 3.125" Wide Trucks apparently

also woo! http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=kOIUBNJJgHk

bowmore fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 19, 2011

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
That board is easily too small for ya. Your best bet is finding something around 32" L and 8" W or bigger.

Edit: whoops, didn't realize that it was a 'cruiser' type board. Thought you meant a Tom Penny board, sorry don't know if those will fit ya!

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
Anyone know any sites that let you buy either individual or pairs of hangers? I got hit by a cab the other day and it snapped my deck and bent the front hanger. :smith: Also, my body hurts.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Whoah didn't think I'd see Penny boards get a mention in here. Those things are too much rad fun! Who cares how big or small you are, buy one or better yet, find an old school banana board on craigslist for cheap and restore it!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
gently caress winter in Wisconsin, can't skate anywhere :( the one indoor park in Madison also shut down. I'm also too broke to go snowboarding regularly so looks like it's getting drunk again all winter.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

Popete posted:

gently caress winter in Wisconsin, can't skate anywhere :( the one indoor park in Madison also shut down. I'm also too broke to go snowboarding regularly so looks like it's getting drunk again all winter.

Sucks that Wisconsin is flat. Downhill longboarding is the poor man's snowboarding.

Just ordered the 2012 Earthwing Supermodel!

http://www.nyclongboards.com/earthwing-supermodel-40-deck/

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Grant Taylor takes SOTY with an amazing Thrasher part: http://youtu.be/LKd9mHnUVUQ + he's got another full Nike part coming out next week. The dude makes you want to skate.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I was just coming here to post that. I didn't realize the announcement was coming so soon. He's just a ripper to the extreme.

Grant Taylor - Debacle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyefCnkawBg

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

I can never get over this tucked knee.
From Debacle at 0:50

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
If I were to dremel off the edges, so they would be straight at the tips, would that sacrafice the structure? I just wanna be sure the tips wouldn't be more likely to snap if I make the edges flat instead of slanted forward. I'm trying to reduce wheel bite.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Go for it! You may already be aware of these:

You need to be absolutely sure that you have a smooth curve from the nose/tail to the shoulders. Any angles on that already narrow mount will create a focal point for stress fractures to develop.

Second, make sure the total width of your nose/tail is at least 4" as well. With maple decks that's the bare minimum you want. Maple composite decks can go a little lower.

Zero Winter
Nov 1, 2011
So new Girl/Chocolate video soon...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0i7PxAlxU

Brightened my mood up a bit. It's been a couple of terrible weeks for skating:

Full time job, rainy season is kicking in, sun sets before I'm out of work now, park filled with all sorts of poo poo thanks to vandals, and pretty much everyone else I used to skate with has dropped off the radar.

No time. Too tired. Or the local place is un-skateable...
Getting harder and harder to push myself to learn new tricks.

Luckily there's a few mellow guys over the border in Spain who are chill to hang out with when the day/sun/weather plays nice.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Q: What do you do when your new apartment makes you park on the 6th floor of the parking garage and you live on the 2nd floor?

A: Carve every day :cheers:

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

BrianBoitano posted:

Q: What do you do when your new apartment makes you park on the 6th floor of the parking garage and you live on the 2nd floor?

A: Carve every day :cheers:

Wow, congrats man! Downhill both ways! *Gets in the elevator*

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I can never get over this tucked knee.

The above-his-head boneless in the Thrasher part is pretty crazy too:

(his foot is still on the board)

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Ugh.. why do I get the urge to skate again now that the weather is horrible outside.

I remember seeing a video posted in this thread and the kid in it is doing all sorts of cool poo poo on a much larger than normal board. Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

Dirp fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 5, 2011

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Dirp posted:

Ugh.. why do I get the urge to skate again now that the weather is horrible outside.

I remember seeing a video posted in this thread and the kid in it is doing all sorts of cool poo poo on a much larger than normal board. Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

This might be it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4hgLIxGEcw
The first time I saw this video I thought he was just a really small dude until a few minutes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
This is the best/most interesting longboard video I've ever seen. John Barnet describes safety better than I could have worded it myself. "Most people look at longboarders and they think we're doing really dangerous stuff, we're out of control and we're risk takers. To tell you the truth, with most of the roads, if I wasn't confident, I wouldn't go down them. I'm not out there to try to kill myself. I'm out there tryin to have another run."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s9sRq7epQao!

ZanderZ fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 6, 2011