Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Macaluso posted:

You can make it regenerate the chunks OR leave chunk-sized holes in the world!

Oh hey, TIL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The problem is that B1.8 and 1.0 have different terrain generation models, so you'll end up with discordant terrain and might not get a village in the same place.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I just came back from a break of minecraft and all I can say is the terrain generator is amazing now.

Also if I repair my weapon, does it break easier? I feel like I go through the repaired pickaxes faster than the ones I make.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I hate when you're underground and you can hear monsters or water somewhere and you have no idea where the hell the noises are coming from. Sounds apparently carry a bajillion blocks over and you can dig like crazy and never find another cavern. For all I know it's coming all the way from the surface.

What this game needs is the ability to craft divining rods. I'm genuinely surprised they're not already in the game.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I love playing Hardcore mode, it adds weight to every encounter with mobs or lava, and I tend to care less about making sure I'm carrying as little as possible so I don't lose it.

I use MCEdit twice - once to find a huge cave near my spawn, and once to find Hell Ruins. If there was a way to guarantee you find these two things every map, like the Eyes of Ender function for Strongholds, this game would be a lot stronger as-is.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

i like tacos posted:

I just came back from a break of minecraft and all I can say is the terrain generator is amazing now.

Also if I repair my weapon, does it break easier? I feel like I go through the repaired pickaxes faster than the ones I make.

Could you post the seed for this, please?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Danzou posted:

I love playing Hardcore mode, it adds weight to every encounter with mobs or lava, and I tend to care less about making sure I'm carrying as little as possible so I don't lose it.
I love it because I don't get those nagging pseudo-OCD completionist feelings of "I'm wasting oooore" or "Oh no, I dropped a dirt chunk, if I don't get it soon it will be GONE FOREVER. WORLD RUINED". Now it's "Ha, like I'll live long enough for that to matter. gently caress you dirt, and iron pickaxes EVERYWHERE".

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Montalvo posted:

Could you post the seed for this, please?

Sure thing :)

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Jamesman posted:

I hate when you're underground and you can hear monsters or water somewhere and you have no idea where the hell the noises are coming from. Sounds apparently carry a bajillion blocks over and you can dig like crazy and never find another cavern. For all I know it's coming all the way from the surface.

It'd be great to be able to tilt your head to the side, to determine if a sound is coming from above or below.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

It'd be great to be able to tilt your head to the side, to determine if a sound is coming from above or below.

If, somehow, Notch was able to add support in for something like FMOD, I would be all over that in one hot-goddamned minute.

Notch, I wanna do your sound design!!

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
How can the yogscast live with themselves knowing one of their premium members on their forums is an out of the closet furry?

So hey, did Notch mention in which update the MP and SP will be consolidated?

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

Follow it and see where it goes?

I did through a few biomes and had already wandered a while without finding anything. I just thought it odd that my original spawn point in this nice village suddenly shifted very very far away into the middle of an ocean and the compass points to, but way past my original spawn point in the village. Either it's a bug or a change I've not seen or been aware of making beds all the more important.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

i like tacos posted:

What map generator are you using? Mine is still covering everything in black squares...

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

NeilPerry posted:

How can the yogscast live with themselves knowing one of their premium members on their forums is an out of the closet furry?

Premium means they paid money. I would let furries pay me money to be allowed on my hypothetical website.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
Also, for those of you thinking of transplanting an older (1.7 and earlier) world into 1.0, keep in mind that the ocean level has dropped by 1 block. I was planning on finding a massive ocean and transplanting all my islands into it, but now I see that there's going to be a 1-high waterfall showing up at the border.

Huns
Apr 27, 2004

True Grit

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If, somehow, Notch was able to add support in for something like FMOD, I would be all over that in one hot-goddamned minute.

Notch, I wanna do your sound design!!
You might be able to talk the Spout people into that, although I think you would need to use the JNI to make it work. Probably easier to just work with whatever open source sound library he is using.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Schmerm posted:

Also, for those of you thinking of transplanting an older (1.7 and earlier) world into 1.0, keep in mind that the ocean level has dropped by 1 block. I was planning on finding a massive ocean and transplanting all my islands into it, but now I see that there's going to be a 1-high waterfall showing up at the border.

I'm pretty sure that happen between 1.7 and 1.8?

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice

IUG posted:

I'm pretty sure that happen between 1.7 and 1.8?

It did, so the problem carries over when trying to import a 1.7 world in 1.0. Can these tools like MCEdit also help me shift everything down by 1 block, or do they work in units of chunks only?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Huns posted:

You might be able to talk the Spout people into that, although I think you would need to use the JNI to make it work. Probably easier to just work with whatever open source sound library he is using.

The Spout people? I'm almost completely in the dark when it comes to mods, aside from a few I used almost a year ago.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

What map generator are you using? Mine is still covering everything in black squares...

Looks like minutor. Good mapper, but discontinued.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Schmerm posted:

It did, so the problem carries over when trying to import a 1.7 world in 1.0. Can these tools like MCEdit also help me shift everything down by 1 block, or do they work in units of chunks only?

MCedit works on individual blocks, but I suspect that rather than shift everything down 1 block it would be way simpler to just select the top layer of ocean in your old world and replace water blocks with air.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

JohnDonovanLiver posted:

Looks like minutor. Good mapper, but discontinued.

They just added some new features and updated it for 1.0, so it is hardly discontinued.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
So I'm trying to make a switch toggle some blocks like so:

But because of improper timing, I get this:

Anyone have a solution for where the extended piston always retracts first?

Viash
Mar 17, 2003
Picked this up again due to the official release. Haven't played it since around the time the nether was added, and holy poo poo there is a ton of new stuff. Is there like a wheat/animal farming guide for idiots out there somewhere? Not really sure how to approach it but due to the new hunger meter and animals apparently not respawning naturally it seems really important.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The hunger meter is pretty negligible even if you don't immediately mod it out. I haven't played much with the actual release version so I don't know anything about animal farming, but wheat farming is pretty easy: cutting tall grass (can be done by hand, no tool needed) occasionally generates seeds, using a hoe on grass blocks makes tilled soil, applying seeds to tilled soil makes wheat. It takes a while to grow, and having water nearby will accelerate the process. Harvesting fully grown wheat generates both wheat (that you can craft into bread) and more seeds.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Spectral Werewolf posted:

You need a repeater before the piston that is pushing the red wool block:

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The hunger meter is pretty negligible even if you don't immediately mod it out. I haven't played much with the actual release version so I don't know anything about animal farming, but wheat farming is pretty easy: cutting tall grass (can be done by hand, no tool needed) occasionally generates seeds, using a hoe on grass blocks makes tilled soil, applying seeds to tilled soil makes wheat. It takes a while to grow, and having water nearby will accelerate the process. Harvesting fully grown wheat generates both wheat (that you can craft into bread) and more seeds.
Bonemeal, applied to freshly sown wheat, will immediately bring it to full growth.

Skeleton grinders are the most productive thing you can build, once you find a spawner.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

For what it's worth, I've found melons to be the best thing to farm if you can find the seeds.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Crumpet posted:

You need a repeater before the piston that is pushing the red wool block:

This does not appear to be a working solution.

Edit: If I wasn't making myself clear, it needs to toggle back and forth between these positions, not just work once.

Spectral Werewolf fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 23, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think dirt actually slowly untills itself if it isn't watered now. Which means you lose your wheat. It definitely stays tilled long enough to easily use bonemeal on the wheat before it gets popped off the ground though.

And a helpful detail: every block of water waters 4 blocks out in each direction in a square around it. So if you make a 1x1 hole of water in the middle of a 9x9 grid of tilled land, it will all turn wet. :eng101:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Danzou posted:

Bonemeal, applied to freshly sown wheat, will immediately bring it to full growth.

Skeleton grinders are the most productive thing you can build, once you find a spawner.

True, but unless you have a spawner I find it's not really worth bothering. Bonemeal's put to much better use on saplings for wood, or mushrooms if you just want to generate ridiculous amounts of food.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think dirt actually slowly untills itself if it isn't watered now. Which means you lose your wheat. It definitely stays tilled long enough to easily use bonemeal on the wheat before it gets popped off the ground though.

And a helpful detail: every block of water waters 4 blocks out in each direction in a square around it. So if you make a 1x1 hole of water in the middle of a 9x9 grid of tilled land, it will all turn wet. :eng101:

That is a helpful detail, thanks for that.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

PalmTreeFun posted:

Unless it changed in 1.0, dry dirt only untills if there's nothing planted in it. If you till it and then quickly plant a seed, the wheat will stay there and grow, but very slowly.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

This does not appear to be a working solution.

Edit: If I wasn't making myself clear, it needs to toggle back and forth between these positions, not just work once.

The picture I took was from my single player map, and that toggles back and forth perfectly for me. If you're on MP then redstone acts weirdly so I can't be any help there.

edit: nevermind it's due to the 'north/south quirk' (for reference), it works perfectly in one direction, but doesn't at all in another.

Crumpet fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 24, 2011

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

This works:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

True, but unless you have a spawner I find it's not really worth bothering. Bonemeal's put to much better use on saplings for wood, or mushrooms if you just want to generate ridiculous amounts of food.
But mushroom stew can't stack. :(

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Schweinhund posted:

This works:

Is the minecart actually necessary for the timing circuit, or is it just there to show that Minecraft circuits make no loving sense?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I still don't understand why.

This is the one thing standing in the way of mushroom soup not being a novelty.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

kidcoelacanth posted:

For what it's worth, I've found melons to be the best thing to farm if you can find the seeds.

For sheer food value, melons are the best. Three melon plants is enough to keep a character fed indefinitely, with some to spare.

It takes forever to each, though.

Vib Rib posted:

You should be able to make mushroom stew without a workbench. Stew not stacking wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

NeilPerry posted:

Wait, did I miss something? How did this come up?