Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cool_boy_mew
Apr 27, 2008

King Dedede Drooling While Eating
It's a longshot, but let's try anyways! These are all shareware.

The game I'm searching is a old Puzznic clone on PC
It looks a lot like this version: http://puu.sh/92Mk
When you finished a level, the whole level blew up in a cheap looking explosion. The game was on Real Arcade if I remember correctly.
Edit: Big chance it's somewhere in that list
http://support.gamehouse.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/885/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL0lYUERPRUpr/~/redownloading-realarcade-games
However some of the names on there are rather generic

The other one was a breakout type (on PC), except it had special bonus levels. It's rather hard to explain, in those bonus levels the ball would go in a fixed path, which looked something like this: http://puu.sh/92Nf
The ball went pretty fast and you had to survive the entire path to get a bonus life or something like this

Another one: You have a guy that's always walking left or right until he hit a wall. You have to climb a tower with converyor belts and various holes. Your guy could only jump and you could control the jump's power.

And the last one is from old gaming computers. You were in a house or something and there was lots of people as obstacle, all you could do was jump over them (the timing was pretty hard). I know one of the obstacle was a police, a guy sitting down on a couch watching TV (or was it a police watching TV?). That's all the game was about

Thanks in advance. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about

cool_boy_mew fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog in the Meadow
Jul 3, 2006

Gam zeh ya'avor

Dixie Flatline posted:

Quadnet
Awesome, thanks!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I'm looking for a nineties nation-sim game. I think it involved ruling either Ukraine or some West African country, building factories and making/keeping campaign promises. The game featured a top-down cartographic view of your nation dotted with buildings and the like, and it looked pretty good for its time. I thought it was called 3000, but Google isn't bringing up anything.

Anyone?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I never played it but maybe Tropico?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropico

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

I never played it but maybe Tropico?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropico

Nope, you were running an actual country, and the Ukraine was one of the available choices (I think). The game itself might have been Russian, which could explain why it's so obscure. The internet is not bringing up any information.

Soul_Yoinker
Jul 5, 2007
YOINK!
I remember a game I played on my old pc in the 90s, where the opening was you being on a hill and watching your city get destroyed by a bomb, and then swearing to yourself that you would become a fighter pilot and gently caress up your enemy.

anyway i remember it being like a top down thing. Does any of this ring a bell?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Soul_Yoinker posted:

I remember a game I played on my old pc in the 90s, where the opening was you being on a hill and watching your city get destroyed by a bomb, and then swearing to yourself that you would become a fighter pilot and gently caress up your enemy.

I might be way off here but didn't Raptor have that sort of intro?

EDIT: It didn't. So now there's two of us asking :)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Soul_Yoinker posted:

Pretty sure that's Zone 66 isn't it?

Soul_Yoinker
Jul 5, 2007
YOINK!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I might be way off here but didn't Raptor have that sort of intro?

EDIT: It didn't. So now there's two of us asking :)

It is similar to Raptor but defiantly not Raptor. In the game I'm looking for you decided in what direction to fly.

E:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Pretty sure that's Zone 66 isn't it?

Thanks! you just reconnected me with my inner child.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Phlegmish posted:

Anyone?
Bit of a long shot, but perhaps you're thinking of The 3rd Millennium?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sombrerotron posted:

Bit of a long shot, but perhaps you're thinking of The 3rd Millennium?

That's the one, thanks! It looks almost exactly as elaborate as I remember it. I was about ten years old at the time, and English is not my first language, so I have no idea if it was a good game. Only thing I remember is never managing to get re-elected. Going to check to see if the publisher is offering it as a free download.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
2 educational games I played on the Apple IIe,

1) You answered simple arithmetic questions, and after answering so many of them correctly, you would get to select a body part of a creature (robot or a monster or something). I think something special may have happened once you completed it but I forget exactly.

2) 2 player game, take turns answering arithmetic questions which cause your onscreen avatar to move incrementally towards a goal. First player to reach the end wins. The course was a series of descending rows, and you had to land exactly on the end space to win. I think there must have been shortcut opportunities and some way of manipulating the questions so that you decided how many spaces to move. I remember an advanced trick was to end up with a negative value which would cause you to move backwards, which blew my little kid mind.

Bulldozer
Nov 13, 2008
There's this platform game I've been trying to remember the name of. I don't remember much, the main character had maybe dreadlocks or something, a lot of levels were set in jungle setting. Very similar to Jazz the Jackrabbit, with high tempo and lots of rockets. From the same era too, circa 1993-1995 I guess.

Ring a bell, anybody?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bulldozer posted:

There's this platform game I've been trying to remember the name of. I don't remember much, the main character had maybe dreadlocks or something, a lot of levels were set in jungle setting. Very similar to Jazz the Jackrabbit, with high tempo and lots of rockets. From the same era too, circa 1993-1995 I guess.

Ring a bell, anybody?
Abuse?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Bulldozer posted:

Ring a bell, anybody?

I'll throw my chips on Alien Rampage.

Bulldozer
Nov 13, 2008
Good guesses, but it was much more cartoony-like. As I said, similar to Jazz and Sonic as well - very colorful and fast paced. Also forget the dreadlocks, but I'm pretty sure the main character was not human.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Pweller posted:

2 educational games I played on the Apple IIe,

1) You answered simple arithmetic questions, and after answering so many of them correctly, you would get to select a body part of a creature (robot or a monster or something). I think something special may have happened once you completed it but I forget exactly.

2) 2 player game, take turns answering arithmetic questions which cause your onscreen avatar to move incrementally towards a goal. First player to reach the end wins. The course was a series of descending rows, and you had to land exactly on the end space to win. I think there must have been shortcut opportunities and some way of manipulating the questions so that you decided how many spaces to move. I remember an advanced trick was to end up with a negative value which would cause you to move backwards, which blew my little kid mind.

Found this
http://www.virtualapple.org/

Think I'm looking for some of MECC's Mastering Math series' disks. A couple of them have versions of my 1), doesn't seem to be any with 2). Guess that disk got dumpstered :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Bulldozer posted:

Good guesses, but it was much more cartoony-like. As I said, similar to Jazz and Sonic as well - very colorful and fast paced. Also forget the dreadlocks, but I'm pretty sure the main character was not human.

The only thing I remember on PC/Amiga to match Sonic and Jazz in speed was Zool. If it's not that, I'm out of ideas.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

scamtank posted:

The only thing I remember on PC/Amiga to match Sonic and Jazz in speed was Zool. If it's not that, I'm out of ideas.

No rockets in Zool. Nor jungle levels. So... you were firing rockets in the game? Or someone else? Was it PC, Amiga, console, Vic 20?

It probably wasn't Abuse?

Bulldozer
Nov 13, 2008
PC. I seem to remember there were a lot of weapons, like in Jazz 2. Lots of jumping as well. Another detail I remembered is that when paused, the screen goes grayscale. I wish I could remember more. One level was kind of like what started from underground (dirt) and advanced up to the trees.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's not one of the Turrican games, is it?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Bulldozer posted:

Ring a bell, anybody?
Possibly Blackthorne?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I can't even remember how they played but the Skunny series of sonic-clones was pretty big around that time.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Nevermind.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 23, 2011

cool_boy_mew
Apr 27, 2008

cool_boy_mew posted:

It's a longshot, but let's try anyways! These are all shareware.

Game #1: The game I'm searching is a old Puzznic clone on PC (It was on Real Arcade I think)
It looks a lot like this version: http://puu.sh/92Mk
When you finished a level, the whole level blew up in a cheap looking explosion. The game was on Real Arcade if I remember correctly.
Big chance it's somewhere in that list
http://support.gamehouse.com/app/an...ealarcade-games
However some of the names on there are rather generic

The whole game was rather cheap looking. There was multiples background, one was a city night sky. There was some decor around the levels, one was a mouse (or hamster?) and some mushrooms.

I think there was some lock blocks and other special stuff around the stage like a balloon. I think there also was Water/Fire.

So yeah, It was like puzznic, but with lots of added stuff

I'm not sure about this, I think you could skip stages (max of 5/7?) and perhaps there was something collectable in stages? It was Red I think

Game #2: The other one was a breakout type (on PC), except it had special bonus levels. It's rather hard to explain, in those bonus levels the ball would go in a fixed path, which looked something like this: http://puu.sh/92Nf
The ball went pretty fast and you had to survive the entire path to get a bonus life or something like this

Game #3: Another one: You have a guy that's always walking left or right until he hit a wall. You have to climb a tower with converyor belts and various holes. Your guy could only jump and you could control the jump's power.

It looked something like this http://puu.sh/9cAJ The game was on Mac BTW

Game #3 was found: It's NS-Tower

Game #4: And the last one is from old gaming computers. You were in a house or something and there was lots of people as obstacle, all you could do was jump over them (the timing was pretty hard). I know one of the obstacle was a police, a guy sitting down on a couch watching TV (or was it a police watching TV?). That's all the game was about

Added a bunch of information. Also I'll give a cheap Steam game during the holiday sale to anyone that manage to find game #1

cool_boy_mew fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 26, 2011

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I don't suppose game 1 is Brix? It was a puzznic clone around 1990 or so and I'm certain you could skip until world 7 or something if you wanted (but wouldn't get the extra lives you could earn in the earlier worlds). There was definitely water and fire in it too, don't recall a balloon but it's possible.

cool_boy_mew
Apr 27, 2008

cmndstab posted:

I don't suppose game 1 is Brix? It was a puzznic clone around 1990 or so and I'm certain you could skip until world 7 or something if you wanted (but wouldn't get the extra lives you could earn in the earlier worlds). There was definitely water and fire in it too, don't recall a balloon but it's possible.

Heh, someone on Classic Gaming (gamefaqs) suggested the same thing, but no it's not Brix.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Possibly mid-late 90s 3rd person shooter. I played a demo of it a long time ago.

You had multiple people on your team and I think there was some way to switch which one you were controlling, maybe it was even necessary to finish a level (though I'm not sure about that point). Pistols, assault rifles, that kind of thing. It played the CD drive so I remember listening to the same Beatles track from the CD I always left in back then over and over while playing it.

If I recall correctly, it was fairly bad/poorly-made.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Troll. Ignore me. posted:

Possibly mid-late 90s 3rd person shooter. I played a demo of it a long time ago.

You had multiple people on your team and I think there was some way to switch which one you were controlling, maybe it was even necessary to finish a level (though I'm not sure about that point). Pistols, assault rifles, that kind of thing. It played the CD drive so I remember listening to the same Beatles track from the CD I always left in back then over and over while playing it.

Probably too early, but Hired Guns?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Probably too early, but Hired Guns?

Nope, the one I'm after was 3rd person....

ptk
Oct 4, 2006

Pretty sure it was a flash game. Mid 2000s? I don't think I played it on one of those portal sites. The idea was that you were a demographic historian working with a computer modelling system to test hypotheses. In the modelling system you would move a time slider around and create migratory patterns which increased in magnitude over time. You completed a mission by making a model which satisfied the past hypothesis given the initial present state. Around the middle of the game you start getting weird hypotheses to test like proving that a minority ethnic group isn't indigenous to the region. Then in the end you find out that your work was used to hide a genocide.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ptk posted:

Pretty sure it was a flash game. Mid 2000s? I don't think I played it on one of those portal sites. The idea was that you were a demographic historian working with a computer modelling system to test hypotheses. In the modelling system you would move a time slider around and create migratory patterns which increased in magnitude over time. You completed a mission by making a model which satisfied the past hypothesis given the initial present state. Around the middle of the game you start getting weird hypotheses to test like proving that a minority ethnic group isn't indigenous to the region. Then in the end you find out that your work was used to hide a genocide.
opera Omnia, this gets asked a lot and typing this is hard trying to avoid your spoiler gahh

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cool_boy_mew posted:

Added a bunch of information. Also I'll give a cheap Steam game during the holiday sale to anyone that manage to find game #1

#4 sounds like Jet Set Willy.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Troll. Ignore me. posted:

Rebels: Prison Escape?

cool_boy_mew
Apr 27, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

#4 sounds like Jet Set Willy.

No sorry.

Basically, the only point of the game (or at least the level 1 .... I doubt there's different levels really) is really JUST jumping over people, the game went in a straight line and the people often repeated. The graphics weren't Jet Set Willy like, you could really tell that the police guy, was a police.

produce
Apr 1, 2008

Gromit posted:

One of the Ultima games? Back then, all movement outside the dungeon was tile-based in these sorts of games.
I know you said Apple, but "play a lot in middle school" is only helpful to us if we know when you went to middle school.
I said "helpful information begins hereafter" to acknowledge that me being in middle school is NOT helpful information. It was just meant as a justification for why I can remember so few things about it.

No, it was definitely black and white, and I believe had a sloppier or more cartoony aesthetic.

Thanks for the guess though!

EDIT: And looking at Ultima I screenshots, I can safely say that my mystery game had more detailed graphics (though they were, as I've said, black and white). It definitely did not look like an Atari game.

And sorry I don't know what Apple computer it was! The OS was in color, and featured an app that was a sliding puzzle of the Apple logo.

produce fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 25, 2011

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been thinking about some mid-90's game, probably for Mac. It was some sort of edutainment game where you climbed a mountain and collected snowballs. I don't remember much else about the game, but I think it didn't have an ending, or it just took too much snowball collecting to do in an elementary class. It just looped back down to the bottom of the mountain, and you may have gotten different scenes upon reaching the top depending on how many snowballs you had.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
My school had this too. It was one of the super solvers games. I think called "treasure mountain."

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Dr_Amazing posted:

My school had this too. It was one of the super solvers games. I think called "treasure mountain."

Cool, thanks. It looks like it was part of this Super Solver series. The specific one we had must have been Treasure Mathstorm according to Wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

produce posted:

And sorry I don't know what Apple computer it was! The OS was in color, and featured an app that was a sliding puzzle of the Apple logo.

If your Apple had an OS, it was probably a Mac of some sort, surely?

You still seem afraid of giving us a year, but I'm going to assume somewhere around 1972. If so, you were playing it on a Magnavox Odyssey.
(I'm just yanking your chain now - it's all cool.)

There's no chance it was Dark Castle, I assume? That doesn't look much like your description at all. The look of it might indicate the type of machine it was running on, though?

• Locked thread