Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If anyone wants a good starter seed (1.0 compatible), type in Faxanadu. You'll start in a swamp. If you go south west a bit, into the desert biome, you'll find a small village. Very nice for just getting going. Currently playing it on hardcore, I had died because of my own stupidity, but I liked the seed so much, I redid it immediately.

EDIT: Sorry, not south, WEST. Still used to the old sun directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Guys, the whole reason the game has an "end" now is because Notch desperately wants to be done with the whole thing. He has demonstrably lost interest in working on it, he's been burned out on it since the infinite map thing! He just wants to wrap it up, hike the price, and move on to something else that interests him. I don't blame him at all, it's his life and his business so he can do what ever he wants.

I do wish, however, that last year, after getting sick of working on Minecraft, he had hired a team (yes a team, not just jeb) to totally take the helm of the Minecraft project, and then he could have had time to work on other projects, and brainstorm new ideas. But instead, he split his workforce between other projects, and continued to plod ahead on Minecraft with Jeb pitching in. Updates became fewer and fewer, ideas and plans were scrapped, arbitrary dates for price hikes were put into place. The entire project slid perceptively downhill. It's a shame really, a shame that we will never have the Minecraft Notch originally envisioned back when he was eager and excited.

And please don't tell me, "Minecraft is still titloads of fun, WITH MODS" I know, I know that already, and I am discussing minecraft ALONE, apart from work done by other people, people who are not raking in tens of thousands of dollars per day.

In summary, I think notch has grown tired of this entire project, and just wants out now, to the great detriment of the game (and his company)

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Eiba posted:

And even if you're digging all around the lava, you're still going to want to turn it into obsidian first, because gently caress lava. It kills you and destroys all your stuff. Whenever you see it, as soon as you see it, kill it. Kill it with water.

Mastiff posted:

Also, carry around a bucket of water. If you're exploring caves at that depth, you're going to run into a lot of lava pools, and it's a lot faster to dump water on them than it is to build dangerous bridges over them or mine around them.

Gravel or Sand makes a much better lava killer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

lohli posted:

Neither of these make precious obsidian.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Splicer posted:

Neither of these make precious obsidian.

Once I have enough obsidian to make a portal, I never want to have to mine any ever again. I guess it's slightly better with the change from 15 to 10 seconds to mine each block but it's still annoying to do.

If I need obsidian I'd rather use buckets to scoop up the lava and make some kind of mold.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

a starwar betamax posted:

Guys, the whole reason the game has an "end" now is because Notch desperately wants to be done with the whole thing. He has demonstrably lost interest in working on it, he's been burned out on it since the infinite map thing! He just wants to wrap it up, hike the price, and move on to something else that interests him.
Maybe Notch has lost interest, but the game isn't finished. Here's some of jeb's latest tweets:

quote:

I'm still fulltime Minecraft. Notch will work on other stuff, though

We'll continue to update the game

So... We are working towards automated snapshots, and will try to get one "prerelease" out every week, regardless if it's stable or not

So... here's the first one: http://assets.minecraft.net/11w47a/minecraft.jar Note that this is practically identical to version 1.0.1

From now on I need to have backwards compatibility

@brechpilot No it means that when the world gen changes, the old maps will still use an old world gen for compatibility

lohli posted:

Once I have enough obsidian to make a portal, I never want to have to mine any ever again.

You need obsidian for an enchantment table.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
edit: :saddowns:

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 24, 2011

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
My first course of action since 1.0 is to make a renewable source for everything. Having completed planting everything, I'm on to animal collection. This was relatively easy for cows and ducks as they were already in the area, and my breeding stations are in full effect.

It took me a days hike to find a couple of sheep in the SE part of my island, but a couple is all you need. Once my cow-pen filled up it became unmanageable to go in and out so I constructed a ladder-to-bridge-to-ladder contraption that seems to keep them in.

But I was still missing pigs, so I went to the SW part of the island and found one of the biggest cliffs I've ever seen which I decided to carefully scale. I found pigs, but I'm not sure how to get them back.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

That's a pretty amazing texture pack. Is that Sphanx?

Also, those pigs look like they're going to mob you.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Once your pen becomes crowded, you can also make what I've termed a cow-lock. Just have two gates, one in front of the other. It's like an airlock, but for cows.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

TalonDemonKing posted:

That's a pretty amazing texture pack. Is that Sphanx?
It is Sphax 128x, yes. You should see the mad cows.

Update: It got dark when I got the pigs down the mountain so I made a little hole in the side of the cliff and ushered them in there and sealed it off. As I was on the wrong side of the mountain I dug a hole to the right side while I waited for day.

Pigs are now safely penned!

Love the cow-lock, idea. I'll try it for my sheep pen.

edit:
My cow-bridge-

Jelly fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 24, 2011

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Server update 1.0.1

how long to find a bug?

turn around

:notch:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Not a bug, bro, sorry.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, the jar needs to be repatched.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

drat IT NOTCH WHY I AM I SO RETARDED?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Jelly posted:

But I was still missing pigs, so I went to the SW part of the island and found one of the biggest cliffs I've ever seen which I decided to carefully scale. I found pigs, but I'm not sure how to get them back.

Get bucket, fill with water, make waterfall, push pigs into waterfall.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
Ok I just went and got the update. Been out of the loop for awhile and know nothing about this update really. I have to go look up all the new stuff you can make. I have to ask though, what the hell is the bright green number between you hearts and hunger about?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Your "levels", you mainly use them for enchanting or as a handy guide for how much you haven't died.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StealthArcher posted:

how long to find a bug?

More like "how long to find that I messed up and don't know what I'm doing" right?

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption

Raskolnikov posted:

Your "levels", you mainly use them for enchanting or as a handy guide for how much you haven't died.

Thanks. Now I just have to figure all this new crap out. Was just reading up on it. Though I must admit I am not sure I care for all of it. Either way best to know.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

@brechpilot No it means that when the world gen changes, the old maps will still use an old world gen for compatibility

Does that mean that the map will continue to generate flawlessly instead of the ugly transition that happens currently, but allow new things to spawn in the generation? Or will you have to start a new map anyway to get new things to spawn in the world that they add to the game?

Also can someone explain animal farms to me? Like as in you do need some special items to make it happen? Or do I just throw down some fences and push animals inside for them to breed and make more pigs/sheep/what ever?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Reb posted:

Also can someone explain animal farms to me? Like as in you do need some special items to make it happen? Or do I just throw down some fences and push animals inside for them to breed and make more pigs/sheep/what ever?

You can lead animals inside them by waving wheat in front of their noses. And you 'use' wheat on them to get them into love mode where they're dripping hearts, at which case they'll go breed with other animals in love mode.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Y'know, it occurs to me that one of the best moves right now for Mojang would be to make the modding API as quick as possible. That way the lack of content in the vanilla game becomes less apparent, because you've got a whole host of easy-to-install mods (which might even work in multiplayer) that will spice things up. Especially if they put a "mod spotlight" or something on the main site where they encourage people to try out the more popular mods.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

lohli posted:

Clearly you've never seen a massive lake of lava and thought, "Nope, this needs to not be here," and tried to fill it with sand or gravel.

Water is awesome and easy and incredibly useful. Never go without a bucket of water everywhere. Just dump it, wait a second, pick it back up, and half the lava lake is safe shiny black glass. This is much easier and faster than wasting a million blocks, especially as you'll have to do it every two feet when you're exploring caves at diamond level.

And water has many more uses that merely ridding the world of vile lava. It's an incredibly good way to descend steep cliffs too. Just dump the water over the edge, jump in the stream, and pick the water up and you can ride in a small tube of water as far down as you want without taking any damage. If you're quick enough you can put a block of water down and pick it up after only a single block has dripped below it. If you jump into that block (and hold space so you don't fall through it), you won't even have to deal with any sort of water flows, you'll just have a nice soft drop of water to relax in as you gently fall. This is great for when you're building tall megaprojects and might not have remembered the materials for a safe way down from atop your newly built giant penis.

Water buckets help you go up too- you can jump and slap a source block as high up a cliff as you can reach and then swim up the resulting flow. This is especially convenient getting up two or three block cliffs, as you don't have to spend much time swimming, but you can theoretically scale an infinite cliff this way if you quickly pick up and replace your source block much higher.

And it's convenient- just one inventory block to put down and pick up water as much as you want, instantly.

tl;dr: Water is your friend. It's useful and awesome. Lava is not your friend. It kills you and destroys your diamonds.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

master gamawa posted:

I am sure it has been mentioned before, but why would you even play the end part? Minecraft is still about building and exploring no matter if there is an end or not. If you are curious, play the end and then go about your usual business of exploring poo poo and making beautiful stuff.

Hey a food analogy: Minecraft is like a wonderful full service dinner with a lovely desert in the end. Don't eat the desert.

I mean it keeps going sure, but although I keep playing it, I can't help but feel like the direction that it shows is kind of worrisome. Yeah, avoiding that dessert, but it kind of affects the whole presentation of the meal... (to drive that metaphor into the ground.)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Well just replace the end crawl with Kansas' "Dust in the Wind"

Sweet synth violins.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

First thing I enchanted was a diamond sword. It got sharpness I and knockback I. Thought that was neat.

Second thing I enchanted was a diamond pick. It got efficiency I and unbreakable. :woop:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Death Himself posted:

First thing I enchanted was a diamond sword. It got sharpness I and knockback I. Thought that was neat.

Second thing I enchanted was a diamond pick. It got efficiency I and unbreakable. :woop:

Wait wait wait, what the hell do I have to do to get an unbreakable pick?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I don't know there is an unbreakable enchant, but there's unbreaking, meaning theres a chance to not take durability damage

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

This is the pick, I basically went in blind so I don't know exactly what it means and took it at face value that I now had an unbreakable pick.

Tried it on mobs and it seems to take a bunch of durability like a normal pick, then I went and chewed through a ton of stone and didn't see the durability budge noticeably. Could have gotten lucky if it's % based though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Death Himself posted:

My pride at the moment is a diamond sword of Smite and Fire Aspect. It's something like a very square holy avenger.
I got that with only one level.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait wait wait, what the hell do I have to do to get an unbreakable pick?

It's not unbreakable, but the enchantment is called "unbreaking". It just means that it only takes like half durability damage or something. Unfortunately, it's not "unbrakeable", and it still breaks down. Just takes longer.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The Minecraft wiki has more info on how enchantments work. Unbreaking I gives a 50% chance to use durability, essentially doubling the lifespan of the pick. Unbreaking II only loses durability 33% of the time, while Unbreaking III loses durability only a quarter of the time, making the tool last four times as long.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
So do you just have a random chance of getting multiple enchantments? I've only ever got one.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jelly posted:

My cow-bridge-

All right, I give: how precisely does this work?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What's the best potion for killing a whole bunch of stacked mobs (after collecting them under a spawner)?

Basically do I get more bang for my buck with poison (regeneration) or instant harm (instant heal)?

edit: You need ghast tears for instant healing? Haha, gently caress that. Killing ghasts is annoying enough, collecting their drops is a whole new level of miserable.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 25, 2011

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Elysiume posted:

edit: You need ghast tears for instant healing? Haha, gently caress that. Killing ghasts is annoying enough, collecting their drops is a whole new level of miserable.

I thought ghast tears were for regeneration, and glistering melons for instant health.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sudoku posted:

I thought ghast tears were for regeneration, and glistering melons for instant health.
Maybe this thing that I'm looking at is wrong...

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Maybe this thing that I'm looking at is wrong...

It is, glistening melons are for instant health, also throw in some gunpowder to make a heal 'nade, poo poo is incredible.

If you want an accurate list of what does what check out the wiki:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Brewing#Positive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Don't forget you can bounce Ghast bombs back with the sword :hist101: (just pretend he's wearing Link's hat)