Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

lohli posted:

It is, glistening melons are for instant health, also throw in some gunpowder to make a heal 'nade, poo poo is incredible.

If you want an accurate list of what does what check out the wiki:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Brewing#Positive
Yeah, there was a potions flowchart on the wiki that was totally wrong. :psyduck:

I'm currently making a whole bunch of potions. Going to kill some zombies. Too bad these things don't stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Yeah, there was a potions flowchart on the wiki that was totally wrong. :psyduck:

In one of the pre-releases, ghast tears gave instant health and glistening melons didn't exist. It might have been an old chart.

Fledgling Gulps posted:

So do you just have a random chance of getting multiple enchantments? I've only ever got one.

I haven't tried using it yet, but one of my friends linked me an enchantment calculator that supposedly does things like tell you what enchantments you're eligible to receive at a certain level with a certain tool, and what their relative probabilities are.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Spoggerific posted:

In one of the pre-releases, ghast tears gave instant health and glistening melons didn't exist. It might have been an old chart.

I haven't tried using it yet, but one of my friends linked me an enchantment calculator that supposedly does things like tell you what enchantments you're eligible to receive at a certain level with a certain tool, and what their relative probabilities are.
Oh, that makes sense.

I just use this guide to find out what level range I need to be for a given enchantment. It doesn't have chances or anything, but it was written way better than the wiki.

edit: Brewing potions is insanely tiresome because of the fact that none of them stack. You need to babysit the entire operation, constantly shifting stuff around. The fact that they require 3 ingredients each just makes it worse.

edit2: Apparently creepers can spawn in fully lit areas now, blowing up a brewing stand destroys it entirely, and leaving the area for a bit to grab some wood to make new chests makes every single item despawn, including the spare blaze rods I had somewhere in the massive mess on the floor. I swear to god, creeper spawn is hosed up. The only place I've ever been safe is a goblin village I surrounded with a 7 block high wall (with a lip so spiders can't climb in) and blanketed the ground with torches every ~4 blocks.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 25, 2011

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Elysiume posted:

What's the best potion for killing a whole bunch of stacked mobs (after collecting them under a spawner)?

Basically do I get more bang for my buck with poison (regeneration) or instant harm (instant heal)?

edit: You need ghast tears for instant healing? Haha, gently caress that. Killing ghasts is annoying enough, collecting their drops is a whole new level of miserable.

Poison can't kill mobs, it only reduces their health to half a heart.
Keep in mind that harm and heal potions have an opposite effect on undead enemies, and that heal potions are simpler to make than harm potions.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

redmercer posted:

Don't forget you can bounce Ghast bombs back with the sword :hist101: (just pretend he's wearing Link's hat)

Also, this actually instantly kills them now. It used to just bounce them back like a snowball did.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Is it just me, or did it get a LOT harder to die in Minecraft?

I started a new world on the seed 777 the day of release and I've been playing it vanilla since (probably too much, to be honest). I've gotten to the point of a full set of mid 40s enchanted diamond armor and a well enchanted diamond sword, and I swear to god I'm invincible.
I was nearly as invincible when I was just wearing low-enchant or no-enchant iron and using an enchanted iron or diamond sword.
I don't know if I broke minecraft or something, but I can stand in front of creepers and I don't take damage. As far as I can tell, it makes very, very little difference to my armor durability.
To be fair, it was a horrendous grind getting to the point of a full set of well enchanted armor, but..

I don't know, it just feels like cheating now. I haven't even died yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUqRFiN_qaU
here i made a video.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining/hate the game. I'm unemployed and just played like 100 hours of minecraft in ~7 days, it's just a weird change.

e: angering pigmen is laughable now, and mines don't feel remotely intimidating. Giant piles of mobs are just funny.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Protection enchantments convert HP loss into armor damage, so basically in addition to overall damage reduction, any damage you actually are taking goes straight to your armor. Not that that makes anything harder.

Still, Minecraft really has become a grindfest, hasn't it? :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PalmTreeFun posted:

Still, Minecraft really has become a grindfest, hasn't it? :(

If your goal is to become ridiculously overpowered in combat, then yeah.

Why on earth would that be your goal?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, it certainly kept me occupied for a little while.

Once you get the insane grind over with, it makes it a lot easier to go do some low-stress mining for diamonds to make some good ar.... weapo....

Er..

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Spectral Werewolf posted:

So I'm trying to make a switch toggle some blocks like so:

But because of improper timing, I get this:

Anyone have a solution for where the extended piston always retracts first?

Ok, this is a bit late, but you don't need all that sillyness with minecarts. You just need a pair of and gates and repeaters so the signal to turn off arrives before the signal to turn on.

The and gates retract the piston the second the signal on one of the terminals goes off, but they need both terminals activated to extend the other piston.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Vib Rib posted:

All right, I give: how precisely does this work?
Here's a side view, it's nothing fancy. The ladders are both hidden, on the left and right. Seems to do the trick. Mobs can climb ladders occasionally, but if they fall, 3/4 sides go back into the pen, and the other side is mostly blocked by fence.

Other's recommend the "cow-lock", which is just a double door system, but I imagine stock would get caught in between and have to be killed or lured. Holding wheat around 40 cows is never fun no matter how many fences are around you.

So far it's been no problem getting in and out to breed them, but I've noticed if they "get it on" near a fence, sometimes the offspring will be produced outside of it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Hypnolobster posted:

Is it just me, or did it get a LOT harder to die in Minecraft?

I started a new world on the seed 777 the day of release and I've been playing it vanilla since (probably too much, to be honest). I've gotten to the point of a full set of mid 40s enchanted diamond armor and a well enchanted diamond sword, and I swear to god I'm invincible.
I was nearly as invincible when I was just wearing low-enchant or no-enchant iron and using an enchanted iron or diamond sword.
I don't know if I broke minecraft or something, but I can stand in front of creepers and I don't take damage. As far as I can tell, it makes very, very little difference to my armor durability.
To be fair, it was a horrendous grind getting to the point of a full set of well enchanted armor, but..

I don't know, it just feels like cheating now. I haven't even died yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUqRFiN_qaU
here i made a video.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining/hate the game. I'm unemployed and just played like 100 hours of minecraft in ~7 days, it's just a weird change.

e: angering pigmen is laughable now, and mines don't feel remotely intimidating. Giant piles of mobs are just funny.

It depends really. I have done the same thing but wound up getting overwhelmed by a fuckload of silverfish anyway. The answer in this game to the scaling of items with enchantments & potions seems to be to simply spawn massive hordes of creatures. I can see server admits running monster invasion events that tax even the best outfitted players.

That doesn't change the fact that combat in general in minecraft is a simplistic joke that needs a severe overhaul though. Oh and so does enemy AI, variety, and challenge level. Several modders have already made really tough and cool monsters that are hard & very fun fights.

I think potions and enchantments are a step in the right direction, but this effing game is one that at 'launch' is basically only 50% completed. There seems to be a lot of room for challenge factor and variety of means of fighting as well as creatures to fight.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Hypnolobster posted:

Well, it certainly kept me occupied for a little while.

Once you get the insane grind over with, it makes it a lot easier to go do some low-stress mining for diamonds to make some good ar.... weapo....

Er..

Clearly this is the point where you start doing pvp

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Fortune III, Unbreaking III diamond pick? That poo poo's insane.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, it seems like once you get the best possible equipment in the game it becomes easier.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
So hey I just got the Minecraft OST as part of this pay-what-you-want indie game music bundle.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fledgling Gulps posted:

So hey I just got the Minecraft OST as part of this pay-what-you-want indie game music bundle.

I'm listening to C418's new album (that's a bonus if you spend at least $10) on bandcamp right now and huh. It's not even close to what I expected after hearing the Minecraft OST.

This is a total tangent but I really love bandcamp and how you can listen to the entirety of the albums before you buy them. It's a sweet site and oddly having the music there in its entirity makes me more likely to buy it. "Here's some totally awesome indie music, listen to it as much as you want! Pay us if you want it on your ipod." OK, sure! :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 25, 2011

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Spectral Werewolf posted:

So I'm trying to make a switch toggle some blocks like so:

But because of improper timing, I get this:

Anyone have a solution for where the extended piston always retracts first?

This is another solution that should work from way earlier in the thread... I'm not on a computer that I can test it on right now for your specific piston configuration, but this should work in theory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbpxYkcIUto

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Fledgling Gulps posted:

This is loving fantastic, thanks for posting it. Already had C418 and Danny B's stuff but throwing more money their way and to the others seems like a great way to end Thanksgiving.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

Times posted:

I think potions and enchantments are a step in the right direction, but this effing game is one that at 'launch' is basically only 50% completed.
To be able to enchant you have to be able to mine obsidian first, and brewing requires finding and killing blazes, so 50% complete is a bit of a stretch.

You often heal just by having a filled food bar also, plus the armor/health system got changed.

That fire aspect sword is pretty cool, I think it will be my next project. I enchanted a diamond pickaxe with 50xp collected from our dual zombie drop trap and got fortune 3 + efficiency 4 + unbreaking 3. Mined 4 diamond blocks and got 11 diamonds. If you don't watch out it eats through two blocks of stone per swing.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Fledgling Gulps posted:

So do you just have a random chance of getting multiple enchantments? I've only ever got one.

The power of your enchantment table is enhanced by how many bookshelves are around it.

code:
XXXXX
X   X
X O X
X   X
XX XX

X - Bookshelves, 2 blocks high
O - enchantment table
This will let you get enchantments up to level... 10-ish? Which is divided down into the sub-enhantments IIRC.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jelly posted:

Other's recommend the "cow-lock", which is just a double door system, but I imagine stock would get caught in between and have to be killed or lured. Holding wheat around 40 cows is never fun no matter how many fences are around you.

It's pretty easy to just push the animal back into the pen and shut the inner door.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
So now that Glowstone has been changed to a Glass block is there any way to turn the Glowstone on and off with redstone?

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
Glowstone is always "on"

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ChewyLSB posted:

So now that Glowstone has been changed to a Glass block is there any way to turn the Glowstone on and off with redstone?

What I did was cover the red stone with 1 block on all sides, the have a sticky piston pull one block away when activated.

I wired 3 of them to a minecart moving on circular tracks and made a lighthouse with flashing lights.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Iveliosiudicium posted:

Glowstone is always "on"

You used to be able to turn Glowstone off with Redstone, but with the change to a glass block in 1.0 it doesn't seem like you can connect redstone to it anymore, so you can't do this anymore. I was curious if there was a workaround for this.

EDIT: Or did I just completely make this up? I read in the wiki that you used to be able to do this.

EDIT x2: Yes I significantly misread the wiki. I think this would be a cool change though, and should be added to the game!

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 25, 2011

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Fire posted:

What I did was cover the red stone with 1 block on all sides, the have a sticky piston pull one block away when activated.

I wired 3 of them to a minecart moving on circular tracks and made a lighthouse with flashing lights.

Why not just use a circle of repeaters instead of a minecart?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That kind of circuit is deactivated when a chunk is unloaded, while a minecart's momentum is saved.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

ChewyLSB posted:

Haha, what? The last time Notch made Glowstone into a glass block, some guy suddenly had the tracks on his railroad pop into the air, completely ruining it.
Notch was even made aware of this and IIRC he changed it back. But he might have forgotten about this.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So uh, unless I'm hearing this wrong, the game is basically still 'in beta' it's just got a price hike attached to it.

I guess that makes sense. I mean this is an indie game with a fairly wide scope. It's still frustrating that they didn't 'finish' the game by the time they said 'launch.'

I am okay with the game being unfinished as it is now so long as their priority now is to finish it, and to make things easier for modders - which I believe they announced were in fact their priorities at the moment. The game is in feature freeze but still needs to be finished with everything they have planned FROM that feature freeze.

Anyway notch is actually going to be hiring an AI programmer in december for one. So we will likely see a good update to both mob AI as well as finally being able to interact with testificates. (who really need better art for them than the ugly programmer art 'bert' look too...)

It's still rather frustrating seeing the dev team move the core game along a hell of a lot slower than modders. Then again I think a lot of the slowness has to do with them having had to basically unspool notch's odd programming.

Anyway here's hoping a magic system gets added to the game soon. Like, with a mana bar above your hunger meter. Would be even better if you lose pips on your mana bar proportionate to how much armor pips you have, so you have to choose between armor and spellcasting.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 25, 2011

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I hope he also hires someone to redo the NPC model, it is very horrid to look at.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
New tweet from Notch (don't worry, not Minecon drama related):

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/140128085411495937

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

a starwar betamax posted:

I hope he also hires someone to redo the NPC model, it is very horrid to look at.

While we're at it, why doesn't he also add female voice sounds for the player? Holy poo poo what is even the excuse for not having those yet?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm just worried if he ever adds female voices he's also going to add those weird square tits like the guy who did that fairy mod did.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
If the male character doesn't have a visible package bulge I don't see why a female version would have to have tits...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Narciss posted:

:stare: I hope this is a "Yeah, I'm whatever the hell you just said" thing.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Narciss posted:

So is Notch getting banned from SA now?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

:stare: I hope this is a "Yeah, I'm whatever the hell you just said" thing.

Nah, we're probably going to get a Rainbow Dash inspired horse mob at some point. :smith:

On the other hand, an enemy boss who drinks glass and throws explosive chocolate milk would be interesting at least.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Thank you so much for that link to the indie music bundle, totally snagged everything for 15 bucks!

Also to everyone who is complaining that the game is grind fest, stop treating the enchantments and potions like something you have to do. For me, I just like to stock up on my potion supplies and xp over time and eventually go, "oh look, I have a bunch of these might as well use them." Other than that is gravy exploring and building :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What does the tweet say? Something about a female voice? Can't read it at work, it's blocked.