Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What does the tweet say? Something about a female voice? Can't read it at work, it's blocked.

Someone asked him if he was a brony. He said yes. I hate that stupid meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

What does the tweet say? Something about a female voice? Can't read it at work, it's blocked.

@notch Markus Persson
@adambombtv of course I am a brony.

e: My awful-app ain't updating for poo poo today.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

adambombtv posted:

@notch You were fighting Ponies, Notch. The Herd will not be pleased... Unless you're a Brony (Say you're a Brony)

notch posted:

@adambombtv of course I am a brony.

I'm gonna take that as sarcasm.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Whew, good thing we kept all the minecon drama stuff out of this thread, now we can focus on what's way more important: Pony show fandom.

Not to derail from that discussion but: has Notch and Co. given any hint as to when we can expect more updates or new gameplay features? I know there has been a lot of talk about updates getting infrequent\stopping (I've been one of those saying that) but is there any indication from Mo-gang that this is what will happen?

Ballistic Anomaly
Dec 29, 2008
I'm not sure but maybe the brony thing has something to do with this:

http://www.humblebundle.com/ posted:

Top contributors
1. Humble Brony Bundle $1,250.00
Notch doesn't appear anywhere else on the list (at least not yet) so that's probably him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is going to become the new "right to vote tweet" isn't it. :eng99:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

a starwar betamax posted:

Not to derail from that discussion but: has Notch and Co. given any hint as to when we can expect more updates or new gameplay features?
I know he said that eventually NPCs from villages would be able to give you quests.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
The game is ready now isn't it? Fully priced etc.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Bicehunter posted:

The game is ready now isn't it? Fully priced etc.

Fully functional, but poo poo is still being added and will for some time one would imagine since post-beta users will pay for some of these updates or something??

Considering how long it takes for mojang to put out broken updates and then fix them, i'd much prefer useful NPCs, AI updates and stuff before female sounds. And the drat API!

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
Mojang is getting a new AI programmer in December who will be working on NPCs.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Ballistic Anomaly posted:

I'm not sure but maybe the brony thing has something to do with this:

Notch doesn't appear anywhere else on the list (at least not yet) so that's probably him.

No, that's from another site, not Minecraft related.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Just have modders finish Minecraft. Not even Notch adding mods, he always removes fun parts of them, like making pistons push less blocks/not launch you, and making sticky pistons require slime and not allowing them to pull multiple blocks. Also adjustable extension length.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

PalmTreeFun posted:

Just have modders finish Minecraft. Not even Notch adding mods, he always removes fun parts of them, like making pistons push less blocks/not launch you, and making sticky pistons require slime and not allowing them to pull multiple blocks. Also adjustable extension length.

Funny thing is that I think Notch from the start said that "piston-like blocks would never be possible to add"?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
You could fill a book with things Notch said would be impossible to add and then a 14 year old programmed a mod on his mom's netbook that did that very thing.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

a starwar betamax posted:

You could fill a book with things Notch said would be impossible to add and then a 14 year old programmed a mod on his mom's netbook that did that very thing.

You could fill a similar book with your shitposting.

PROTIP: If you want to make a Chicken Condensation Unit, make it a fair distance from your main domicile or else the clucking will drive you nuts.

redmercer fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 25, 2011

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So I just covered an entire town in the mushroom spore dirt blocks, under the impression that monsters would not spawn on them. However, waiting out the night and wandering around town, there were still monsters spawning on the sporedirt. Did it get changed for 1.0?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Wahad posted:

So I just covered an entire town in the mushroom spore dirt blocks, under the impression that monsters would not spawn on them. However, waiting out the night and wandering around town, there were still monsters spawning on the sporedirt. Did it get changed for 1.0?

I don't think it's "monsters don't spawn on mycelium", it's "monsters don't spawn in mushroomland biomes." So you made your town more interesting, but to no real end.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Times posted:

Anyway here's hoping a magic system gets added to the game soon. Like, with a mana bar above your hunger meter. Would be even better if you lose pips on your mana bar proportionate to how much armor pips you have, so you have to choose between armor and spellcasting.

Not going to happen, Notch has said that Alchemy and Enchanting were the only magics he wanted in the game, and that there would never be spellcasting, like shooting fireballs and such.

PalmTreeFun posted:

Just have modders finish Minecraft.

Oh yes, let this game please give me anime tits and machine guns. Not to mention entitlement that makes Notch looks mature in comparison.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Hey, speaking of Magic, didn't Notch at some point during the production of the Adventure Update post a screenshot of the character on like a flying cloud or something?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

osici posted:

I hope any islands I find are filled with egos thanks to him.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Greedish posted:

I'm the worst at finding diamonds, does anyone have a way of finding more? I haven't found one and one of my friends is at 17.

I just dig an endless tunnel at level 12. Found 12 diamonds in 3 deposits so far, and don't ever have to deal with monsters since you pretty rarely hit caverns, and when you do they're bottomed with lava most often. Just bring enough gravel (or water) to deal with lava, and you're pretty much set.

I do suggest constructing a rail line to your "mine face" though, as right now I'm nearly 1500 blocks from home and that takes for goddamn ever to run through. I'm pretty much stocked with all other minerals for life too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Hey, speaking of Magic, didn't Notch at some point during the production of the Adventure Update post a screenshot of the character on like a flying cloud or something?

Maybe that was before he decided to turn the cloud world into the end.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That still irritates me for whatever reason. A cloud world would have been a great setting, but instead we get the extremely, extremely boring and uninteresting The End.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
So hey I'm having some issues. I'm trying to play minecraft by launching it via java so I can get my steam overlay and mumble overlay to work. It does in fact work too, but I cannot enter fullscreen. This also happens if I play in browser, everything works fine but if I try and fullscreen it I just get a black screen.

Its weird, if I launch the minecraft.exe I can go fullscreen but it doesn't give me my steam overlay or mumble overlay. If I launch it via java I get those two things but I lose the ability to go fullscreen. Any help, or ideas?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Anybody have a clue why my multiplayer server save that I moved over to single player worlds refuses to function properly? It's not even terribly large, but after about 20 seconds, my fps drops somewhere between 1 and 5.

Normal worlds run fine, multiplayer servers run fine, etc.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Sudoku posted:

That still irritates me for whatever reason. A cloud world would have been a great setting, but instead we get the extremely, extremely boring and uninteresting The End.

Yeah, I find the nether kinda dull to wander around in and I'm not looking forward to The End, which looks like it has even less cool stuff in it.

I just wish that when Notch got a ton of praise for making a fun sandbox game he'd decided to make it more sandboxy instead of more linear. So much of what he's added since the Nether has been more about giving the player more objectives instead of giving them new stuff to play with.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
So, obtaining wool:

Do sheep regrow wool yet? None of my penned ones have yet, so do I have to breed and kill them? Because that seems silly, and if that is the case, I imagine it would be easier to farm string from an abandoned mine.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Jelly posted:

So, obtaining wool:

Do sheep regrow wool yet? None of my penned ones have yet, so do I have to breed and kill them? Because that seems silly, and if that is the case, I imagine it would be easier to farm string from an abandoned mine.

They don't, so you're just going to have to breed, shear, and murder them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

redmercer posted:

PROTIP: If you want to make a Chicken Condensation Unit, make it a fair distance from your main domicile or else the clucking will drive you nuts.

I have learned this lesson. :suicide:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Usually this dudes reviews are satire but I'm not so sure about this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap87xnjOh8E

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 1, 2014

Huns
Apr 27, 2004

True Grit

osici posted:

The one mod I've always wanted to make (since I know how) would be to add pathfinding to mobs. It's actually really easy and Mojang could've added it in an afternoon if they were inclined.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Dumbest thing he ever did. I'm going to have to tell a bunch of people their dreamland plugin isn't going to work anymore. I wish he would have just left it alone rather than replacing it, because it is such a cool idea.

Senator Woofington posted:

So hey I'm having some issues. I'm trying to play minecraft by launching it via java so I can get my steam overlay and mumble overlay to work. It does in fact work too, but I cannot enter fullscreen. This also happens if I play in browser, everything works fine but if I try and fullscreen it I just get a black screen.

Its weird, if I launch the minecraft.exe I can go fullscreen but it doesn't give me my steam overlay or mumble overlay. If I launch it via java I get those two things but I lose the ability to go fullscreen. Any help, or ideas?
Mumble overlays work with Minecraft, but I don't think Steam works unless the game is linked against their libraries. Could be wrong on that, but definitely sure Mumble will do it if you've got the switch turned on in Mumble. (There's no setting in Minecraft to do it, Mumble just hooks into the video drivers directly.)

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Jesto posted:

I have to come to the conclusion that maybe Notch just isn't a very good or a very inspired coder.

This isn't something that actually needs a few paragraphs of justification.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 1, 2014

Frogmarched
Jul 11, 2011

Jesto posted:

:ohdear: Given that most complaints about Minecraft I've seen in the topic are usually met with a shitstorm of "It's an unfinished product!", I was a bit wary of voicing issues with it or Notch.

I'm in your boat, there is no way this game should have been released, or priced for 30$ in it's current state. Don't worry about the numerous 10/10 reviews, they are just trying hard to suck at the minecraft community's collective dick.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Huns posted:

Mumble overlays work with Minecraft, but I don't think Steam works unless the game is linked against their libraries. Could be wrong on that, but definitely sure Mumble will do it if you've got the switch turned on in Mumble. (There's no setting in Minecraft to do it, Mumble just hooks into the video drivers directly.)

It works if you launch the minecraft.jar but not if you launch the minecraft.exe. Unless I'm missing something because I have two windows open, one launched via the .jar one launched via the .exe and the .jar has the mumble overlay whereas the .exe does not.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Did slimes start spawning more in 1.0? I keep finding them everywhere.

Huns
Apr 27, 2004

True Grit

Jesto posted:

But it looks like you just bring in a bunch of ladders, scale some pillars and blow up some HP Regen points so you can spend a while whittling it's HP down with a bow.
So in addition to doing a Valve-style intro screen, the Ender Dragon is a kind of medieval Nihilanth, except it doesn't mumble bullshit or teleport you to rooms full of ick.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sudoku posted:

Well, somebody will mod the End into a cloud world anyway :shobon:

or so I hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

GreatKesh posted:

Usually this dudes reviews are satire but I'm not so sure about this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap87xnjOh8E

He makes a lot of good points. They really ought to beef up the models in the game, and give them some better animations. That alone would go a long way to making the game more immersive. Or better yet, allow custom character models like they had in Quake 2. How hard could that be to implement?