Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

JFairfax posted:

http://documentaryheaven.com/standing-in-the-shadow-of-motown/

This is a really good doc about The Funk Brothers, the musicians who played the tracks that made the Motown sound.

A must watch if you're even halfway interested in music.

Thank you for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMeatDepartment
Jul 21, 2011
Do any goons know of documentaries about Bob Denard, or more generally, mercenaries working in sub-saharan Africa?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I am trying to remember the name of a documentary, it was about young millionaire entrepeneurs who basically had everything and then abandoned it, having acquired any material good they could ever desire and finding absolute emptiness from it.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

LandryForPresident posted:

Do any goons know of documentaries about Bob Denard, or more generally, mercenaries working in sub-saharan Africa?

I think there's a ~15m segment about Le Bob in a french historical doc about various african hotspots. I can try and find it for you on french public broadcasting sites, but there wouldn't be subtitles unless it played on Arte TV at some time.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Maybe topical for US goons- last week's PBS Nature was about an author who imprinted wild turkeys and spent a year as their "mom". The book was published in the '90's, so the footage is all very well done re-enactments with an actor who resembles the author, interspersed with author commentary and beautiful environmental shots.

I found it a very sweet and heartfelt production without drifting into sugary or drippy territory. Kind of like if John Muir and Konrad Lorenz had a baby with Jane Goodall.

My Life as a Turkey

Should be streaming from the PBS Website, with some extras here.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Has anyone found the doc "My Perestroika" anywhere online for free?

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records
THE TROUBLE WITH ATHEISM

http://documentaryheaven.com/the-trouble-with-atheism/

Fascinating documentary. Check your intolerance at the door. This gets very interesting around the 35 minute mark, when Eugenics are brought into it. I think it loses it's way a bit shortly after that, but still an interesting piece of work.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo.
http://documentaryheaven.com/the-perfect-vagina/

holy sweet jesus. This is a documentary about vaginaplasty. They SHOW a girl getting her girl bits trimmed. WOW drat. NOT hot at all. Very depressing.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 24, 2011

Doikor
Oct 5, 2008

FrankenVader posted:

THE TROUBLE WITH ATHEISM

Fascinating documentary. Check your intolerance at the door. This gets very interesting around the 35 minute mark, when Eugenics are brought into it. I think it loses it's way a bit shortly after that, but still an interesting piece of work.

That whole document starts so wrongly. "I wonder if atheism is the answer to our believes" atheism is the lack of belief it cannot answer your need of belief. (belief in god/something like god i mean)

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

magnificent7 posted:

Holy poo poo.

holy sweet jesus. This is a documentary about vaginaplasty. They SHOW a girl getting her girl bits trimmed. WOW drat. NOT hot at all. Very depressing.
Wow, that labiaplasty quickly went from snip-snip-done to excruciatingly painful and bloody recovery.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

magnificent7 posted:

Holy poo poo.

I. . . um. . .. oh dear. That's just. . . .. painful to watch.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Company has a fairly large section about the operations of a company called Executive Outcomes in southern Africa. I haven't seen it in years, but I believe there was 200 mercenaries who had 10,000 soldiers calling it quits in a few months. Great movie if you're looking to learn about PMC's.

http://documentaryheaven.com/shadow-company/

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 26, 2011

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Don't think this has been posted yet, just found it tonight.

Das Netz or to give it it's US title 'The Net - The Unabomber, LSD, and the Internet' is a fascinating German language doc from 2003. It clocks in at just under two hours long and covers; the early internet, hippy counter culture, Ken Kesey, mind control, metaphysics, and some good old fashioned computer boffinry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doQAwLb-DEE

At about 1 hour in there is an amazing and rare interview with Heinz von Foerster the grandfather of cybernetics.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You're in luck. Once Upon a Coup is Wide Angle about a failed attempt by a group headed by Simon Mann, and financed by the likes Mark Thatcher, to change the regime in Equatorial Guinea. Equatorial Guinea is an incredibly oil rich country on the west coast of middle-Africa and run by a tyrant who has one of the worst human rights records in the world. They were planning to replace him with an exiled opposition politician who would have granted generous oil rights to the companies the financiers of the coup were associated with.

Fun fact: In Frederick Forsyth's novel The Dogs of War the fictional country of Zangaro was based on Equatorial Guinea. Forsyth has a reputation for meticulous research and it's rather ambiguous today whether he was carrying out research for the book, or was really planning out a coup attempt.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Apologies if this was posted earlier in the thread, but at this point the things so massive it doesn't generally matter. I also feel like I'll probably make a lot of edits to this post over time. Firstly though, it could be :nms: to some viewers. The children are really neglected and starved to a degree that they're essentially skeletons covered with skin. It's not pleasant. It could also be :nws: because there are scenes containing nudity of underage individuals THOUGH they make a fairly effective attempt at blurring the genitalia.

Bulgaria's Abandoned Children

Summary from the site posted:

The Social Care Home – where 75 unwanted children are growing up – is the main employer in the small village of Mogilino. Few of the children can talk, not necessarily because they are unable but rather because no one has ever taught them how.

Kate meets the children in this tragic, silent world, such as Milan, the gentle giant who spends his days doing chores and watching over the others, and mildly autistic 18-year-old Didi, who is able to talk, and has plenty to say, but no one to speak to. The children that surround them suffer a variety of problems, many are blind or deaf and some are unable to leave their beds, many are literally wasting away.

Abandoned into the hands of the staff at Mogilino these children inhabit a bleak uncaring world, so devoid of normal everyday stimulus that many have taken to rocking slowly and constantly in their chairs just for something to do.

Bulgaria has more institutionalised mentally and physically disabled children than anywhere else in Europe. This film is a heart-rending and eye-opening look into the life of one such institution.

I found this documentary intriguing because it was almost like traveling back in time. The United States had badly run hospitals for the mentally ill in the early to mid 20th century. Bulgaria is clearly way behind the times and I find it really sad to see the state that these children are in. Many of them are not mentally deficient, but suffer from blindness and deafness.

One girl focused on is only mildly autistic. She seems to have a slight deficit in her mental capacity and she's certainly a tad odd, but to see her, a fully functioning teen girl, surrounded solely by individuals who cannot speak is really heart wrenching. At the beginning she's vivacious and spends her spare time reading, a month later she doesn't talk and simply sits and rocks with the other girls. Oh, and don't even try to keep the sexes of the children straight, most of the time they all just look like boys.

Everyone in the film is neglected and malnourished. I'm not sure how many of you watched the documentaries on the orphanages in China filled with sickly girls who are now mentally disturbed because of neglect, but it's a lot like that. The scenes with the younger children who simply looked like starving infants, but were all much older, is especially hard to watch.

The worst part is that you realize about 25min into the film that this is the institution putting on a good face for the cameras, what you see is them on their best behavior. It makes you wonder what life is like there when the BBC isn't filming.

Okay, so this film just gets worse and worse the longer I watch it. You're probably going to finish being really pissed off and depressed, so this is far from a happy film.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 27, 2011

vjee32
Feb 1, 2008
^^^
Bulgaria's Abandoned Children revisited

"Revisited" of the previous documentary.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
While not a documentary, but much like SPIN.

Off The Air - The Footage They Didn't Want You To See

This guy captured satellite feed from Pro Wrestling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFJSAXOBFnw
Theres 6 episodes.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

vjee32 posted:

^^^

I was getting down to watch that right now, so I hope I can come back with a good review of it.

Apparently people in Europe got so amazingly pissed off at the conditions in the first documentary that they threw money at the problem until it went away. Usually I'm against throwing money at a thing, but I think that in combination with all the outrage made the situation over there a lot better.

So, this is a much more upbeat film and focuses on certain children who where once held at Mogilino and have now been moved to much better care homes. Mogilino has been closed now for 2 years, so there's that. Bulgaria has a long way to go, but they're getting much better.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 27, 2011

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Bulgaria's Abandoned Children

I'm about 22 minutes into this and I had to stop just so I could get the courage to collect myself and grab a bite to eat. I'll be watching something while I eat, otherwise I'd feel guilty. I feel bad for all these kids, but Didi especially. I kept saying to myself "she's going to go mad in there." You could see it in her eyes how awful the situation has become for her. It's a terrible situation all around.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

FrankenVader posted:

THE TROUBLE WITH ATHEISM

gently caress me that was annoying, total half baked bullshit from beginning to end.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Butt Savage posted:

I'm about 22 minutes into this and I had to stop just so I could get the courage to collect myself and grab a bite to eat. I'll be watching something while I eat, otherwise I'd feel guilty. I feel bad for all these kids, but Didi especially. I kept saying to myself "she's going to go mad in there." You could see it in her eyes how awful the situation has become for her. It's a terrible situation all around.

Watch Revisited, things get much better for them.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, I'm definitely going to watch that right after. I want to give Milan a huge hug.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

vjee32 posted:

^^^

I just watched both of the movies. They're incredible.

The first one was so difficult to watch, but the second one was so uplifting. I can't believe how well everyone's improved :unsmith:

I have a really difficult time with this issue, because it's really easy for people to write this off as just something that happens in Bulgaria. Things aren't that great here in the U.S., either.

I was a social worker for a small agency that provided foster care, group homes, and in-home caregiving for people with developmental disabilities (until I got laid off in September because of some major state budget cuts). It wasn't that long ago that things were that bad here, and a lot of my clients who'd grown up in state-run institutions had severe emotional problems. Even though things have improved quite a bit, there's still so much work to be done. Awhile back, we had an influx of clients who were released into the community after the Corpus Christi state school fight clubs got public attention, so the state finally started to crack down on the state school system; they finally decided it would be a good idea to install security cameras and have their inspections done by people who didn't work for the state schools. Even with the community-based programs, like the one I worked for, there's still a lot of issues because the state oversight is rather lacking. My agency was really ethical and efficient, but when I'd have to collaborate with other agencies, it started to get pretty obvious how easy it is to make things look good on paper and during the yearly state inspections.

I had this one girl one my caseload for the entire almost-four years that I was there. You're really not supposed to have favorites, but she was mine. She'd been through a lot of abuse growing up, so she would tend to be withdrawn. The home she was living in was fine with that, because she would spend most of her time alone in her room and they wouldn't have to deal with her. When I started to realize the neglect that was going on, I had to fight hard to get her moved, because her state-supplied guardian didn't want to rock the boat and have to deal with the headache of getting her moved. The entire system is set up to give a basic level of care and sort of look the other way when things aren't great. (She ended up in a small group home and started flourishing; she finally came out of her shell :unsmith:)

Since funding for programs like the one I worked for just got slashed so heavily in Texas (around 25%), I'm really worried about how things might degrade. It's really frustrating, because when the economy starts going south, it's people like them that get hit first and hardest :smith:.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 27, 2011

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

You're in luck. Once Upon a Coup is Wide Angle about a failed attempt by a group headed by Simon Mann, and financed by the likes Mark Thatcher, to change the regime in Equatorial Guinea. Equatorial Guinea is an incredibly oil rich country on the west coast of middle-Africa and run by a tyrant who has one of the worst human rights records in the world. They were planning to replace him with an exiled opposition politician who would have granted generous oil rights to the companies the financiers of the coup were associated with.

Fun fact: In Frederick Forsyth's novel The Dogs of War the fictional country of Zangaro was based on Equatorial Guinea. Forsyth has a reputation for meticulous research and it's rather ambiguous today whether he was carrying out research for the book, or was really planning out a coup attempt.

Thanks for this one. Once Upon a Coup is great. From watching that I started searching through other Wide Angle films and I wish I knew these existed. I am on PBS' site constantly watching Frontline.

Tentakulon
Apr 12, 2010

BEHOLD THE REMAINS OF ANCIENT AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT! IF ONLY GBS WOULD LISTEN TO ME. MY TALK COULD SAVE THE WORLD FROM THE SAME FATE! ALSO BOOK YOUR SEATS NOW FOR PEAK OIL TO HIT THIS SUMMER!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Maybe topical for US goons- last week's PBS Nature was about an author who imprinted wild turkeys and spent a year as their "mom". The book was published in the '90's, so the footage is all very well done re-enactments with an actor who resembles the author, interspersed with author commentary and beautiful environmental shots.

I found it a very sweet and heartfelt production without drifting into sugary or drippy territory. Kind of like if John Muir and Konrad Lorenz had a baby with Jane Goodall.

My Life as a Turkey

Should be streaming from the PBS Website, with some extras here.

Watch this if you haven't, it's a touching and impressive film. Also, wild turkeys look more like dinsaurs than most other birds.

klem_johansen
Jul 11, 2002

[be my e-friend]
Just watched "Rembrandt's J'Accuse" which tells the story of how the painting itself is a writ of condemnation against the men who commissioned it, accusing them of sexual abuse, usury, and one count of "make it look like an accident" murder.

and "Art of the Steal" which made me want to punch Ed Rendel in the stomach ( though he's more of a patsy than a proper villain).

Sneep
Nov 22, 2007
I suck
I just watched "Life in a Day" which is on instant on Netflix, or can be viewed here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/lifeinaday

It was something like almost 5000 hours of footage from 192 countries, all shot on July 24th, 2010. People filmed everything that happened to them that day, and the result is honestly amazing, or so I thought. They were also asked three questions: 1.What is in your pocket/purse? 2. What do you love? 3. What do you fear? (Okay, so that may not be a spoiler per se, but people may not want to know what the questions are. For me it was a pleasant surprise). It's really an interesting way to look at how different life can be.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

klem_johansen posted:

Just watched "Rembrandt's J'Accuse" which tells the story of how the painting itself is a writ of condemnation against the men who commissioned it, accusing them of sexual abuse, usury, and one count of "make it look like an accident" murder.

and "Art of the Steal" which made me want to punch Ed Rendel in the stomach ( though he's more of a patsy than a proper villain).

Wow, that first one sounds cool as heck. And I've seen Art of the Steal, and can recommend it as well. Both are on Netflix Instant, by the way.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
A Perfect Terrorist

FRONTLINE and ProPublica investigate the mysterious circumstances behind American David Coleman Headley's rise from heroin dealer and government informant to plotting the 2008 terrorist attacks on Mumbai. Despite repeated warnings, how did Headley slip into India to scout targets? And how much did U.S. officials know about his relationship with terrorist group Lashkar-i-Taiba?

http://video.pbs.org/video/2169905444/

Frontline has done it again. Amazing work with this episode and some of the footage and the amount of retracing of steps is beyond dedicated journalism. This ranks up toward the top of the best Frontline episodes.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
Just a reminder that Canadians can watch episodes of The Fifth Estate for free online. The most recent episode, about Native teens who live in remote northern Ontario communities but all have to fly to Thunder Bay for Highschool is worth watching:
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2011-2012/storiesfromtheriversedge/

Sadly it only plays for Canadians BUT I would advise the curious to uhh... Find some OTHER way of watching the show online because The Fifth Estate is usually some pretty quality journalism.

Also The Life and Death of Abdinasir Dirie is a fascinating investigation into why so many Somalian immigrants who moved from Toronto to Ft. MacMurray, Alberta to work ended up getting shot to death. http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/content/2010/11/the-life-and-death-of-abdinasir-dirie.html

klem_johansen
Jul 11, 2002

[be my e-friend]
Just watched The Thorium Dream on Motherboard and I really need someone who knows this stuff to play devil's advocate here. Why is the molten salt reactor a bad idea? Is it purely politics or is there a solid scientific/engineering hurdle that is too difficult or expensive to overcome? The piece is obviously biased in favor of liquid fuel & thorium, but that's OK because it presents the ideas in a clean way. However, I'd like to hear someone from the other side make their case.

Low-waste, walk-away-safe nuclear sounds like a fantasy. So, is it?

Doikor
Oct 5, 2008

klem_johansen posted:

Just watched The Thorium Dream on Motherboard and I really need someone who knows this stuff to play devil's advocate here. Why is the molten salt reactor a bad idea? Is it purely politics or is there a solid scientific/engineering hurdle that is too difficult or expensive to overcome? The piece is obviously biased in favor of liquid fuel & thorium, but that's OK because it presents the ideas in a clean way. However, I'd like to hear someone from the other side make their case.

Low-waste, walk-away-safe nuclear sounds like a fantasy. So, is it?

Pretty much what they said in the film. There is billions and billions worth of R&D put into the current reactor designs so none of the current makers want to change it.

TheMeatDepartment
Jul 21, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Thanks so much!

variegated
Mar 17, 2006
pretty princess
The Last Anchorite. A shortie about a desert-dwelling monk practicing a devotional path to God rarely practiced anywhere else.

Has anyone seen The Other F Word anywhere to download or buy?

variegated fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 1, 2011

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
Has anyone seen/know where to buy The Little Angel of Columbia?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Anyone know films about survivalists, not survivalism itself? A little more like Louis Theroux's trip out to Almost Heaven, where the focus is more on 'these are the people in the subculture, there are other documentaries to tell you about the basic idea of the subculture itself' than anything.

Also, anything similar to Off the Grid or The Last One would be awesome, if someone knows of anything.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Loomer posted:

Anyone know films about survivalists, not survivalism itself? A little more like Louis Theroux's trip out to Almost Heaven, where the focus is more on 'these are the people in the subculture, there are other documentaries to tell you about the basic idea of the subculture itself' than anything.

Also, anything similar to Off the Grid or The Last One would be awesome, if someone knows of anything.

I don't know if this fits the bill or not, but "Alone in the Wild" about this dude who goes out into the harshness of Alaska, by himself, and builds his own cabin and everything he needs and lives there for the rest of his life. Its been mentioned many times in this thread.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
This isn't actually out yet but it looks like it will be really good and should raise awareness of a big problem that many people don't know about. I recently watched a documentary by Vice TV that was linked several pages back in this thread about this 'floating rubbish dump'.

Trailer here, note some semi-disturbing scenes for animal lovers.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

The Scientist posted:

I don't know if this fits the bill or not, but "Alone in the Wild" about this dude who goes out into the harshness of Alaska, by himself, and builds his own cabin and everything he needs and lives there for the rest of his life. Its been mentioned many times in this thread.

That's an older PBS documentary, right? I've caught the tail end of it once or twice, and it's quite an interesting documentary. Makes me want to hike out the Alaskan wilderness myself, but I'm sure my adventure would be more "Into the Wild" than "Alone in the Wild".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
This is a documentary about the lives of billionaires in the US made by the same guy who made Born Rich, which is about billionaires under 25:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmlX3fLQrEc

It's called The One Percent, but it was actually made in 2006 so it's not an Occupy Wall Street film, it's just about the top 1% of earners in America.

description from the youtube link:

This 80-minute documentary focuses on the growing "wealth gap" in America, as seen through the eyes of filmmaker Jamie Johnson, a 27-year-old heir to the Johnson & Johnson pharmaceutical fortune. Johnson, who cut his film teeth at NYU and made the Emmy®-nominated 2003 HBO documentary Born Rich, here sets his sights on exploring the political, moral and emotional rationale that enables a tiny percentage of Americans - the one percent - to control nearly half the wealth of the entire United States. The film Includes interviews with Nicole Buffett, Bill Gates Sr., Adnan Khashoggi, Milton Friedman, Robert Reich, Ralph Nader and other luminaries.