Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you've ever played a modern FPS before I'll say you should play Rage on hard or nightmare. I never used a single bandage on normal and I enjoyed the game more when I restarted on nightmare and was forced to actually make use of the many gadgets they give you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I bought Arx Fatalis on steam and need some help getting into it. I love these kind of dungeon crawlers, and the general feel of the game is like Thief, which is my favorite game ever. I have some problems though. I literally don't know how to cast any spells. I got the first three runes, used them in inventory and tried "drawing" them, but nothing happens. How does casting work in this game? I managed to light a fire once but I couldn't do it again.

Also, am I really meant to drag every single thing off the ground into my inventory? No quicker way?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Skilleddk posted:

I bought Arx Fatalis on steam and need some help getting into it. I love these kind of dungeon crawlers, and the general feel of the game is like Thief, which is my favorite game ever. I have some problems though. I literally don't know how to cast any spells. I got the first three runes, used them in inventory and tried "drawing" them, but nothing happens. How does casting work in this game? I managed to light a fire once but I couldn't do it again.

Also, am I really meant to drag every single thing off the ground into my inventory? No quicker way?

Its been years since I played it but you have to cast the runes in sequence to get a spell out of them. Check out this video to get the general idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LueGiUasvFk and pay attention to the top right hand corner where the dude is stacking ruins. I can't remember dick about inventory management but its an ancient game so its likely to be cumbersome.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Skilleddk posted:

Shift or control click an item to quick grab it. You can use that same button to store spells for later casting, up to 3 on the 123 keys.

Also, casting ignite on a fireball amplifies it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skilleddk posted:

"See an Akbaa stone, pick it up. For the rest of the game you won't be hosed."

Seriously, there are these seemingly useless items scattered in a few dungeons that are required to unlock the door to the final area. If you see one, pick it up and keep it to save yourself the headache of backtracking later. In one part of the game you'll find a force field and inside patrols an Ylside (a super-powered armored guy you'll fight later) and a lone cultist. DON'T DISPEL THIS WALL UNTIL THE GAME TELLS YOU TO because if the cultist runs away, you'll have to hunt the entire game world for him because he has the final stone. Enemies in this game can (and sometimes will) run away to different levels. It's kind of neat because I've been ambushed by past enemies when moving between floors.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I played for 2 hours, game is really fun but I think I hosed myself over. I thought I had nowhere to go, so I cleared the troll city. Then I found entrance to Arx, and the ruler asks me to speak to the Troll King, so he can help clear some rubble. He's dead though, and I think I've explored every other area.\

Any way to progress or is it start over for me?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skilleddk posted:

I played for 2 hours, game is really fun but I think I hosed myself over. I thought I had nowhere to go, so I cleared the troll city. Then I found entrance to Arx, and the ruler asks me to speak to the Troll King, so he can help clear some rubble. He's dead though, and I think I've explored every other area.\

Yeah, you'll have to restart. The game won't tell you when you kill a quest giver. Don't attack anyone who isn't hostile and you'll be fine.

And why would you kill the trolls? They're teddy bears.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

You can in fact progress, kind of (as documented in Doug the Eagle's anti-walkthrough for Arx Fatalis), but the plot kind of goes "sproing" as a result and if you haven't played before you'll end up very confused (as will the game itself).

Reloading an earlier save in which you haven't murdered an entire settlement of peaceful trolls is probably your best bet.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Just started Skyrim, though hardly had time to play it. Going with Breton Battlemage, which means everything punches me to death everywhere.

Any tips for making my magic pack more of a punch, what elemental weaknesses to exploit etc, or should i just concentrate on perking up my destruction starsign?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

al-azad posted:

If you've ever played a modern FPS before I'll say you should play Rage on hard or nightmare. I never used a single bandage on normal and I enjoyed the game more when I restarted on nightmare and was forced to actually make use of the many gadgets they give you.

Sounds about right, I'm playing Rage on normal and not once was I really forced to use a sentry or mobile drone.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Polite Tim posted:

Just started Skyrim, though hardly had time to play it. Going with Breton Battlemage, which means everything punches me to death everywhere.

Any tips for making my magic pack more of a punch, what elemental weaknesses to exploit etc, or should i just concentrate on perking up my destruction starsign?

Keep a summon up at all times, Conjuration gets amazing at certain breakpoints and at the very end, and summons make for great tanks. Also keep a companion around for the beginning of the game. You're given one early on in the main quest.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Lightning works against just about everything, but you will want to use fire against certain enemies like trolls.
You can either use conjuration to summon meat shields, or illusion to make opponents stop fighting you.
Illusion is actually pretty awesome, as calm/pacify makes almost all opponents friendly and rage/frenzy make them attack each other. Spamming muffle levels the skill very quickly.

Expect most monsters in the game to take you down in a couple of shots if they can get close to you. Wearing heavy armor is a viable solution, but it isn't necessary.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Fruits of the sea posted:

Spamming muffle levels the skill very quickly.

I like to keep clairvoyance in one hand and muffle in the other while traveling, so I can tell where I'm going and level my illusion while I'm at it.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
thanks, I figured i was pushing my luck with just me and my housecarl rocking it, especially when getting my head kicked in by the automatons in that dwemer ruins. I do have conjure familiar so i'll let him do my dirty work

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I just snagged Binding of Issac and KOTOR because I can't be accountable for my actions when there's a steam sale, anything I should know about them?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Monicro posted:

I just snagged Binding of Issac and KOTOR because I can't be accountable for my actions when there's a steam sale, anything I should know about them?

Binding of Isaac I'd actually avoid getting too much advice/spoilers on - the game is fairly short, and a good deal of gameplay value is experimenting with all the items and enemies and figuring out what works for you.

Three important things:

1. There's an item on every floor in a special room marked by a crown on the map and a yellow border around the door, but on every floor besides the first it's locked. Always have at least one key to open that room.

2. There's a secret room on every floor. A couple items will tell you where it is and you can find it by bombing walls. There's a pattern to where it spawns, though - it can only spawn in a 'blank' map tile with at least 3 rooms touching it (except occasionally on the first floor where there sometimes are no such groupings of rooms)

3. There are some rocks that are suspiciously dark-grey. Bomb them for goodies.

e: also, when an item says it "appeared in the basement" that just means it will now spawn (some items you have to do particular things before they'll spawn); it doesn't necessarily mean that they're somewhere in your current game

President Ark fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 26, 2011

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Monicro posted:

I would add to the above poster's advice one note: one of the unlockables (Cain) is not too hard to unlock but requires somewhat unintuitive behavior unless you get lucky, and can make early runs easier.

edit: also, you can blow up slot machines and similar things with a bomb. The prize isn't as good as a good winning result would be, but if you don't have the cash to play the slots it can at least get you something out of it.

Benly fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 26, 2011

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Monicro posted:

In Kotor, no matter what build you go with, make sure you take at least one offensive force power that does direct damage by the final boss fight.

The most overpowered force power trees are force speed for a melee build and force lightening for a 'magic' build.

During combat, you can use one item per round in the menu in addition to a normal action. That means you can use a medpack/stimpack and attack in the same round. That's really helpful for some of the boss fights.

You'll get to the point where you become a Jedi at about level 8. A lot of people will recommend not levelling up until you do so you can get more Jedi levels, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially for a first playthrough. The only bonus is extra force powers, and you'll generally end up with enough of those anyway. Jedi don't have better base stats than the other classes, and you might actually end up missing out on helpful feats. Not levelling up also makes the first part of the game, which is already the slowest, even more tedious.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Hannibal Smith posted:

In Kotor, no matter what build you go with, make sure you take at least one offensive force power that does direct damage by the final boss fight.

The most overpowered force power trees are force speed for a melee build and force lightening for a 'magic' build.

During combat, you can use one item per round in the menu in addition to a normal action. That means you can use a medpack/stimpack and attack in the same round. That's really helpful for some of the boss fights.

You'll get to the point where you become a Jedi at about level 8. A lot of people will recommend not levelling up until you do so you can get more Jedi levels, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially for a first playthrough. The only bonus is extra force powers, and you'll generally end up with enough of those anyway. Jedi don't have better base stats than the other classes, and you might actually end up missing out on helpful feats. Not levelling up also makes the first part of the game, which is already the slowest, even more tedious.

Don't over look anything that causes stun. Especially if you started as a scoundrel. It's walk through every encounter near the end of the game if you're force choking every one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Orcs Must Die

Currently, my fights are won mostly through spamming the crossbow and a bunch of fire traps. I wonder if there's more of a science to it (my first real defense game besides plants vs zombies)

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Orcs Must Die

Currently, my fights are won mostly through spamming the crossbow and a bunch of fire traps. I wonder if there's more of a science to it (my first real defense game besides plants vs zombies)

Use barricades to create chokepoints, and then heavily trap those chokepoints. Wallblades are awesome early on: If you can make the enemies walk past three or four wallblades with tar traps on the floor, you'll already get rid of most enemies except for goblins and boss enemies. Put brimstone before, in and after the main chokepoint to mop up those goblins. As soon as you get the clockword mace, use it whenever you can. Grinders are pretty good too.

The biggest threats to your barricades are ogres and sappers. With the former, take care not to come within striking distance while they're next to a barricade, or they'll hit it when they attack you. Sappers are tough to deal with, since they will often beeline for your barricades. Try to remember the waves in which they show up, and during those waves, stand in front of your barricades. This will usually cause the sappers to charge you instead of those expensive barricades.

Archers and paladins are awesome. Put some archers with the fire arrow upgrade near your chokepoint, and watch your combo multipliers shoot up. On levels where it's difficult to create good chokepoints, a small army of paladins backed up by archers can save the day.

Steel Weaver is the best weaver for most maps, either because of the trap upgrades, or the guardian upgrades, or both.

The storm cloud is awesome, especially when used near your chokepoint.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Xander77 posted:

Orcs Must Die

Tar traps backed with wall blades or wall arrows are very useful for catching any kobolds that may slip by your other traps or even your weapons, since the little bastards run too fast for floor spikes to catch them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Xander77 posted:

Orcs Must Die

If you're still unlocking traps, not really; pretty much all the traps up to the end of the game are good in some circumstances.

Generally you want to:

-Use barricades to force all the orcs to take one particular route to the Rift and trap the hell out of it
-If you can't do that, force together as many as possible until there's only two, trap one, then guard the last one yourself with your crossbow/bladestaff/magic
-If you can't do that and there's no way to cover multiple paths at once (ie archers which can shoot two different paths), then just deal with it as best as possible

Ice is the best all-around spell if you're only taking one spell on a mission; frozen enemies take a ton of bonus damage, give an extra combo, and get stunned for quite a while with the alt-fire; and freezing a flying enemy kills them instantly. Fire is useful unless you have the DLC in which case thunder or the acid bombs are better in literally every way; Lightning is good if you have one chokepoint for picking off fliers and dropping storms which murder everything that passes through; and the Wind Belt is good for stalling tactics (knocking back orcs over and over or into a pit/backwards through your trap setup). From the DLC, the Vampire Gauntlets are questionably useful - they're handy if you're really good at not dying but draining your health to charge your mana can result in you getting ganked; the Acid bombs are amazing to just throw into a mob and melt ~20 orcs all at once.

Brimstone will kill kobolds if it sets them on fire at all, so you can put that far ahead of your traps to kill kobolds before they reach you and prematurely set off traps (or explode if they're sappers)

All three weavers are good for different reasons:

Steel weaver will give you good traps, regenerating NPC guardians, extra combo points from archers, a bit of extra money, and physics traps that launch ogres. It's good all-around but it can kind of suck if you don't have much time/money to setup at the start. If you're in Nightmare, this is the only tree that will let your guardians recover from damage, so if you're going to rely heavily on them (especially paladins) you will probably have to use this.

Elemental weaver makes you incredibly awesome - you'll have double health, run faster, your spells are cheaper, you'll hit harder, your spells are better, and you'll regain mana whenever you kill something with the bladestaff or the crossbow. Thing is, it's the only weaver which cannot generate extra money, either through a flat-out bonus or extra combo points; so abuse the crossbow stun to round up a big swarm of orcs to kill them all quickly for kill streaks to get bonus money early on. Works best on maps where you can't realistically trap every path before poo poo gets out of control; trap all but one or two and guard the last ones yourself.

Knowledge weaver is unlocked later and seems lovely at first; all the talents do different things and it doesn't really seem to have a theme. It works best post-game when you have everything unlocked, including the Coinforge (kills on it give bonus money). The most important talent is the one that doubles money from spell kills - take two or three good spells (probably ice, acid/fire, and lightning), drop a coinforge, and no traps at all for the first few waves and just murder everything yourself with spells to get a ton of money, then when poo poo starts getting hairy use all your money to create traps where needed. Most of the talents are kind of gimmicky but some can be good; Headshot bonus helps kill ogres, zombie orcs can help in a pinch, and Rift Sentience makes the rifts poo poo lightning which can kill the odd kobold that sneaks through.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Xander77 posted:

Orcs Must Die

A swinging mace + tar pit setup will kill all orcs that come through it, except those few with shields. Place sorcerous brimstone so that any survivors, whether orcs or kobolds, will burn to death on them. Place another layer just in case. Use archers or autoballista to take out fliers and ogres. Note that I haven't played Nightmare so this may not be applicable to that difficulty, but it got me through the campaign. Before I got the mace, I just spammed archers and arrow traps, accompanied by tar pits. Always, always use the tar pits.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Monicro posted:

In KotoR do Kashyyk (wookie planet) first since you get the last Jedi character for the party. He's a morally grey "spellcaster" (guardian IIRC) type Jedi that's best suited for the AOE dark/offensive attacks and for healing. Also he's my favorite non-robot character in that game.

Also make sure to pick up and fully upgrade Force Heal because it makes one particular room in the end of the game less of a pain in the rear end.

I just picked up Saint's Row the Third on PC. Is there anything I should know ahead of time?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Monicro posted:

KOTOR - you want a high repair skill. Your best companion has most of their dialogue unlocked through it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Thanks for the Orcs Must Die tips. Watching some videos on youtube, apparently the point is to lure a bunch of orcs into a bunch of traps at once, to get sweet combo points. And here I was stringing my traps out along a corridor.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Francostein posted:

Saint's Row the Third

Early stages in the main missions give you introductions to the side missions like the insurance-fraud, escorts, tank missions and the like. You may want to avoid side-missions as I've read that people can miss out on cutscenes when they complete specific side missions. I can't recall exactly when this stops but when you get that cargo freighter mission you may be past it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Francostein posted:

I just picked up Saint's Row the Third on PC. Is there anything I should know ahead of time?

If you tap E twice when you exit a car, the radio will keep playing. You're welcome.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

Francostein posted:

Saint's Row the Third

Don't neglect the weapon upgrade system just because it's not on your cell phone menu. The first upgrades may seem incremental but your starting pistol, fully upgraded, will completely demolish.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Alright thanks everyone, the "don't do side missions for a while" thing is the exact opposite of my usual completionist way of playing games. Though the weapon upgrade system is right up my alley then.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Benly posted:

Don't neglect the weapon upgrade system just because it's not on your cell phone menu. The first upgrades may seem incremental but your starting pistol, fully upgraded, will completely demolish.

This. My upgraded pistols are the most lethal weapons I have, even more so than shotguns and assault rifles. Hell, a few well placed shots can blow up cars.

I love driving around at night when it's raining, putting Robert Tepper on and pretending I'm Rocky.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Francostein posted:

Echoing what other people have said, with personal knowledge: starting any of the side missions before you get the official introduction to them can sometimes make you straight up skip the mission and possibly confuse your #-of-missions-completed tally.

Furthermore, some of the assassination and carjack missions require you to have easy access to gang members so you can get their enmity to you high enough. Be careful of completing a region too far, or else you might find them very hard to encounter. At the very least, leave a couple gang operation markers around so you can spawn a nice number of stars at will.

That all said, you can buy properties largely free of worry. They'll complete a section of the city but it won't be too much as to block you off from stuff later, and you really will need all the cash you can get.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
I know there's already been a few tips for Fallout: New Vegas, but I just got it from Steam and I've never played a fallout game before. Anything I should know? Should I read about the stories of the first games?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

trapt posted:

I know there's already been a few tips for Fallout: New Vegas, but I just got it from Steam and I've never played a fallout game before. Anything I should know? Should I read about the stories of the first games?

It wouldn't hurt but its definitely not necessary. Read up on the SPECIAL system as that is pretty important. Int and Agl are probably the two most important attributes regardless of how you go about the game. In terms of skills Repair, Guns, Speech, and Lockpick will probably be the easiest for a new player but you can pretty much do anything you want and be fine. In terms of perks getting the perks that give you more skill points are always good. Be sure to remember to use the VATS system as I can't believe how many people I've talked to that never knew that was a thing. If you are attacking something and a solid Shield icon pops up and you don't seem to be doing any damage its because your weapon doesn't have enough DAM to get through its Damage Threshold. If you wear a faction's armor then people will assume you are part of that faction and can attack you because of it so keep that in mind too.

I think thats it.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
The only thing you need to know about the Fallout universe is that it took place in a world century or two in the future that had future technology but retained the cultural look and feel of the 1950's (when nuclear paranoia was at its peak).

Also, poo poo got nuked.

Other than that, New Vegas doesn't really touch on any of the previous games at all.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

trapt posted:

Fallout: New Vegas

The backstory presented in other games is either not that relevant (there are a few characters' who'll make in-references but nothing that'll hurt not to know) or pretty self-explanatory.

You only have a limited number of level-ups and thus a limited number of eventual skill points and perks. Fortunately it's mostly pretty good so don't worry too much about min-maxing. However, this means that (a) the perks that give you more experience (Swift Learner and Here And Now) are pretty useless overall and the perks that give you more skill points (Comprehension and Educated) are awesome. Educated isn't retroactive so if you're going to take it you should probably take it early.

Also it might be obvious but you can only wield one weapon at a time, so it's generally best to pick a weapon type you like fairly early on and focus on it so you have more skill points available for all the fun and useful non-combat skills.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

RentACop posted:

If you tap E twice when you exit a car, the radio will keep playing. You're welcome.
The game positively inundates you with the most basic gameplay "hints" imaginable even if you've been playing for fifty hours, but not once is this one mentioned anywhere. :argh:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just found a sealed copy of Splinter Cell: Convictionfor $6 at a Goodwill. Yeah!

Anything I should know or is it fairly straightforward?

Also got the remake of Splatterhouse from Amazon yesterday but I don't think a lot of people played that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

RentACop posted:

The only thing stopping this from being perfect is you can't seem to skip tracks on the mixtape.