Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Lazyhound posted:

[url="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=639705"]

:negative:

They're also dragging their feet on things like drawing in the title bar, which was supposed to be in Firefox 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

angor posted:

I've run all the updates on my 15"MBP and I'm having WiFi issues. It shows that the airport is connected to my home network, but I don't have a connection. It takes about a minute to actually get any data traffic. When I open Safari, it tells me I'm not connected. If I click Network Diagnostics it says that everything is working.

Have you tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0LQV_OQ_Sc

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

angor posted:

I've run all the updates on my 15"MBP and I'm having WiFi issues. It shows that the airport is connected to my home network, but I don't have a connection. It takes about a minute to actually get any data traffic. When I open Safari, it tells me I'm not connected. If I click Network Diagnostics it says that everything is working.

Are you running Little Snitch? There was a bug recently that prevented me from accessing Software Update and Apple Store, and other internet connections, etc. Updated to most recent release and all is well now. Just an idea..

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

vkeios posted:

Yeah, Fraise was originally called Smultron with a slightly higher version number. The original developer, Peter Borg, asked him to change it though. Then Fraise's development stopped because its developer wants to write a new text editor from scratch (No news on this since last year). And the Fraise fork is called Strawberry, which I just tried out and its completely barebones right now.

But as I said, Smultron is bad right now. Just look at this UI.

Man, I wish we had a nice text editor for Lion. All I want is tabs (or a sidebar), syntax highlighting, and Lion full screen.

Sublime text 2. Seriously. Its a thing of beauty.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Terpfen posted:

They're also dragging their feet on things like drawing in the title bar, which was supposed to be in Firefox 4.

mozilla can really drag their feet on mac bugs unfortunately. I filed a show-stopper bug once where if you coax the browser into displaying two different modal popups (like save dialogue and alert() javascript popup, both would stop the other from being able to be closed and render the browser inoperable. I provided some proof of concept javascript and it took well over a year before it was resolved. By that time it had literally hundreds of people signed on to the bug complaing about the error.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

duck monster posted:

mozilla can really drag their feet on mac bugs unfortunately. I filed a show-stopper bug once where if you coax the browser into displaying two different modal popups (like save dialogue and alert() javascript popup, both would stop the other from being able to be closed and render the browser inoperable. I provided some proof of concept javascript and it took well over a year before it was resolved. By that time it had literally hundreds of people signed on to the bug complaing about the error.

I think Mozilla has implicitly adopted the policy that they simply aren't going to focus much on the OS X market. They've left it to Apple and Google (read: WebKit) apparently.

It's a shame, because Firefox is actually a pretty competent modern browser in a totally different way from Safari and Chrome. Tab Groups are great.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0LQV_OQ_Sc

This reminds me I really need to start watching that show.

That, however, is not the problem. It happens with every network I connect to and it has only been doing it after the update.

adm - I'm not running Little Snitch.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Is there a way to open(and write to) a filevault encrypted hard drive in linux?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

vkeios posted:

Yeah, Fraise was originally called Smultron with a slightly higher version number. The original developer, Peter Borg, asked him to change it though. Then Fraise's development stopped because its developer wants to write a new text editor from scratch (No news on this since last year). And the Fraise fork is called Strawberry, which I just tried out and its completely barebones right now.

But as I said, Smultron is bad right now. Just look at this UI.

Man, I wish we had a nice text editor for Lion. All I want is tabs (or a sidebar), syntax highlighting, and Lion full screen.

Might not be the best option if you don't know the little vim shortcuts for things like getting in/out of insert mode, but macvim snapshot has full screen support and it has had tabs for a while.

http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

angor posted:

I'm having this exact same issue. Not running Little Snitch or whatever. Whenever I wake up my Macbook, I have to turn the Wifi off and on, then wait for a minute or so for it to start giving me an internet connection. Driving me absolutely crazy.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
For anyone who's signed up for iTunes Match, I haven't seen this mentioned in any of the reviews (although maybe I missed it or am reading the wrong ones): Does it just match the music in your library when you sign up and it does the first scan, or does it continue matching new stuff added to your library?

If I sign up and let it match my library today, then add a track next week from the Amazon MP3 store or something, is that track also matched?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

CaptainCaveman posted:

For anyone who's signed up for iTunes Match, I haven't seen this mentioned in any of the reviews (although maybe I missed it or am reading the wrong ones): Does it just match the music in your library when you sign up and it does the first scan, or does it continue matching new stuff added to your library?

If I sign up and let it match my library today, then add a track next week from the Amazon MP3 store or something, is that track also matched?
Whenever you add a new track it will scan and match it automatically within a few minutes, or you can right-click and choose "Add to iCloud".

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Mentioned in the iOS thread, agilebits are having a 50% off sale on 1Password. I'm thinking of getting the PC version to use on my desktop, doing the upgrade from OSX only to the OSX + windows for $20.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Diabolik900 posted:

Whenever you add a new track it will scan and match it automatically within a few minutes, or you can right-click and choose "Add to iCloud".

I assumed it would, but wanted to make sure. Thanks!

priznat posted:

Mentioned in the iOS thread, agilebits are having a 50% off sale on 1Password. I'm thinking of getting the PC version to use on my desktop, doing the upgrade from OSX only to the OSX + windows for $20.
I saw they were having a sale, but completely missed that you could get upgrade pricing on the Windows version if you have the Mac one. Thanks for mentioning it — I may just go for the Windows version for $17.49.

CaptainCaveman fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 23, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Appachai posted:

Is there a way to open(and write to) a filevault encrypted hard drive in linux?
No current way to do it for either types of FileVault encryption schemes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

CaptainCaveman posted:

I saw they were having a sale, but completely missed that you could get upgrade pricing on the Windows version if you have the Mac one. Thanks for mentioning it — I may just go for the Windows version for $17.49.

I saw that but I was wondering if it means that the license for the OSX is transferred over to the the windows one. I'd like to have both so probably the $20 one is the answer.

It might be ok though to do the upgrade to the windows one though, not sure.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
When I restart with "reopen windows" checked in Lion, is there no way to specify that windows should reopen in the space they were in prior to the restart? It's so annoying that they don't - seems to defeat the whole principle of "resume where you left off".

Also, speaking of spaces, is there any way to make the speed of switching faster than "glacially slow"? I know you can enable the Ctrl+num shortcut which is better, but I want the trackpad swipe to be as fast.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

priznat posted:

Anyone know if we'll get to upgrade to 4.0 for free when it's released?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Does anybody know how to get into loving mobile me email or get it to port across to icloud. Any attempt at getting into mobile me, redirects me to the find my iphone page which then wants to redirect me to icloud.

So the me.com/move/ thing just points to a "find my iphone used to be here but not anymore lol" page.

And since the control panel move account thing just sends my browser to find my ipho ne, I appear to be up poo poo creek without a paddle.

Do apple actually test this bullshit with users?

e: gently caress! This is frusturating the poo poo out of me.

e2: I found a way around it involving logging in via the me.com email rather than the gmail.com acct I signed up with then angrily rebuffing its exortations to go to find my iphone. loving thing.

e3: Nope, not going to migrate if it wont sync my keys because I loving need that for work.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 24, 2011

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

duck monster posted:

e3: Nope, not going to migrate if it wont sync my keys because I loving need that for work.
Unless Apple changes their minds you're going to lose that feature June 30 whether you migrate to iCloud or not. You might want to start looking at other options now.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

angor posted:

Resetting the SMC worked a charm!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

mongoibur posted:

Anyone know if we'll get to upgrade to 4.0 for free when it's released?
For the MAS version, yes.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
I feel like an idiot for asking this, but my Google skills have yielded a lot of conflicting advice and mostly focus on the realm of internet sharing instead of media sharing.

Question: How do I easily get my Xbox360 to detect my iMac (OSX Lion) and easily stream media (music + videos) to it?

- I have not (yet) enabled file sharing from OSX preferences. I feel like this is the logical place to start, but want to verify before I go mucking around with settings.
- I have enabled media sharing in iTunes.
- I have Perian and Flip4Mac installed, if it matters.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Jeratain posted:

I feel like an idiot for asking this, but my Google skills have yielded a lot of conflicting advice and mostly focus on the realm of internet sharing instead of media sharing.

Question: How do I easily get my Xbox360 to detect my iMac (OSX Lion) and easily stream media (music + videos) to it?

- I have not (yet) enabled file sharing from OSX preferences. I feel like this is the logical place to start, but want to verify before I go mucking around with settings.
- I have enabled media sharing in iTunes.
- I have Perian and Flip4Mac installed, if it matters.

I've had success with Rivet. It used to be a paid program, but now that it's discontinued, it's free.

http://thelittleappfactory.com/rivet/

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Theres also ps2mediaserver (meh...) and Connect360 which I use.

I havent had any luck at all streaming mkv's to my xbox though.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I went with Rivet since it is free, but Connect360 looks promising as well. Apparently the only downside of Connect360 is the folder structure is displayed weird, whereas Rivet replicates it in a much cleaner fashion.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
PS3mediaserver keeps getting better with recent releases. They have improved stability of the streams, and it has been working a lot better.

I have tried Rivent and Connect360 in the past, but was never as happy as I have been with recent versions of ps3mediaserver.

Though I do most of my streaming to my PS3, there is also an iOS app called AcePlayer which has been temporarily free a few times that also works pretty well with it.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Dare I uninstall the Boot Camp Radeon video drivers and get the newest ones from the AMD site?

Will that even work?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

JHVH-1 posted:

PS3mediaserver keeps getting better with recent releases. They have improved stability of the streams, and it has been working a lot better.

I have tried Rivent and Connect360 in the past, but was never as happy as I have been with recent versions of ps3mediaserver.

Though I do most of my streaming to my PS3, there is also an iOS app called AcePlayer which has been temporarily free a few times that also works pretty well with it.
It took me awhile to get ps3mediaserver configured to reliably stream to my xbox360 the variety of encodings I encounter. But with some work it handled most everything.

I'm not sure if it's much different when run on a Windows host versus Mac, but it was the best I've found.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ZeeBoi posted:

Dare I uninstall the Boot Camp Radeon video drivers and get the newest ones from the AMD site?

Will that even work?
That's what you want to do, yes. I know it works on my iMac at least.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
iTunes related question:

I have 2 computers. 1 iMac, and 1 PC. My family has 3 iPhones. What is the best way that each person can manually manage their apps, but all maintain access to the single music library? I am having difficulty figuring it out... it seems like everyone's apps are getting mixed up...

I also want to be able to add music to my phones from both computers, depending on which one I'm using. How can I set this up? iTunes is maddening.

hunter x az fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 25, 2011

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
For the first question are you trying to do this over separate user accounts? If not, you know that you can sync more than one iOS device to the same iTunes installation?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Howdy all- I just got my mom a current gen 21" iMac to replace her first gen intel iMac as it was really starting to creak along. I am going to get her Windows 7 as she needs it for a few programs for work. At this point which is the easier virtualization software? She's not going to be doing any gaming or anything on this, so those kinds of stats don't matter at all.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Howdy all- I just got my mom a current gen 21" iMac to replace her first gen intel iMac as it was really starting to creak along. I am going to get her Windows 7 as she needs it for a few programs for work. At this point which is the easier virtualization software? She's not going to be doing any gaming or anything on this, so those kinds of stats don't matter at all.

Both Parallels and Fusion are pretty friendly at this point. For a well-supported OS like Win 7 it's basically as easy as insert disc, create a new virtual machine, enter the registration code and the software handles the rest. If performance isn't a concern you would be fine with either, but you could always download the trials of each and see if your mom has a preference for one or the other.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ZeeBoi posted:

Will that even work?

Depending on what model of Mac you have you might not be able to install the Catalysts, but there's no harm in trying because you can just reinstall the Apple ones.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I have a 2010 iMac. Sadly, because I'm running Win XP 32 bit, I can't even get the latest drivers. So I'm working on upgrading to Win 7 64 bit.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Does anyone have possible solutions for not being able to view certain flash videos on any OS X browser?

I'm running 10.7.2 with the latest flash player installed. While attempting to view daily show episodes for example, or vice.com videos as another, the player just remains completely black. I can right-click for Flash settings but that's all I can do.

I've ran Safari, Firefox, and Chrome all in safe-mode without any add-ons and nothing works.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

adm posted:

Does anyone have possible solutions for not being able to view certain flash videos on any OS X browser?

I'm running 10.7.2 with the latest flash player installed. While attempting to view daily show episodes for example, or vice.com videos as another, the player just remains completely black. I can right-click for Flash settings but that's all I can do.

I've ran Safari, Firefox, and Chrome all in safe-mode without any add-ons and nothing works.

Try uninstalling Flash (run the uninstaller and manually delete the leftover folders) then reinstalling the latest version. I had a similar problem a few months ago and that’s how I fixed it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

If you're not going to be playing games or doing anything graphically hardware accelerated like that it's worth checking out VirtualBox since it is undoubtedly the best free virtualisation software around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Terpfen posted:

Try uninstalling Flash (run the uninstaller and manually delete the leftover folders) then reinstalling the latest version. I had a similar problem a few months ago and that’s how I fixed it.

Unfortunately I've done this twice now and it hasn't helped.. thanks though