Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

a starwar betamax posted:

Mojaung learned an important lesson through Minecraft, they learned that hard work, professionalism, working finished product, pride in their accomplishment, are all things that can be easily tossed out the window because none are prerequisites for the money train to keep on a rollin'.

I dont find this wellspring of bitterness that some of you seem to share, the final product is basically what i expected, There are bricks, you need food, build cool poo poo with/without friends.
The only disappointment is The End for me, i wish it had been more like the Nether. I guess its simply because i came in on 1.8?
It seems some of you are shaking your heads and muttering "What could have been." or am i way off the mark?

Is there anything that will take a good crack at MC in the pipeline? Terraria already has, in my opinion, and there was that... i have no idea what its called but it has tools to paint in shapes other then blocks, such as spheres that can create more natural shapes.

VVV: What a good idea. I was thinking of going for a whole "City of the Dead" vibe myself.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I actually don't mind The End, but only because I'm planning to blow the whole thing up and then build my Space Station there.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

I mean, would you break your back working to perfect something that people are going to by no matter how lovely and unfinished it is anyway?

I guess this goes to show this model of financing projects doesn't always work. If there's no looming deadline to crank out a good product, the developer becomes complacent.

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Stare long enough, and you may find yourself.

Mojaung learned an important lesson through Minecraft, they learned that hard work, professionalism, working finished product, pride in their accomplishment, are all things that can be easily tossed out the window because none are prerequisites for the money train to keep on a rollin'.

This statement is true for almost any product sold in the millions, and is a sad indictment of the state of our use of money.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Shadowmorn posted:

I dont find this wellspring of bitterness that some of you seem to share, the final product is basically what i expected, There are bricks, you need food, build cool poo poo with/without friends.

My expectations were probably too high to begin with, but I still think what we have ended up with is a far cry from what most people, including Notch, envisioned. I doubt many people expected the final release to have the same placeholder creature models, poor combat, glitchy performance, limited block set, lack of objectives\gameplay (outside of mods), useless NPCs, etc.

The first time I loaded Minecraft, last year, I was astounded at the sweeping possibilities for what it could become. I pulled up Notch's list of planned features and I got even more excited. Little did I know that over a year later, Minecraft would only have a handful of new blocks, most of which are cosmetic, two new enemies, and an assortment of other new features that are poorly integrated with one another.

It's just disappointing is all, and a shame really.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I was expecting to see all the ideas Notch used to drum up support for the game. Building a fort with friends because you saw the glow of an incoming lava golem invasion over the horizon. Player vs Player games that would involve moving some object out of the other team's base and back to your's or assaulting each other's fortresses. Dungeons and other content with some form of an end goal, with actual rewards and not a blob of poorly written text.

Now none of those features will likely ever come out. :effort:

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

on topics besides everyone's being bitterly disappointed: does anyone have a good seed for an easy to find sprawling cave or abandoned mine complex? I want to start a new hardcore game and spend it mostly underground.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Minrad posted:

I was expecting to see all the ideas Notch used to drum up support for the game. Building a fort with friends because you saw the glow of an incoming lava golem invasion over the horizon. Player vs Player games that would involve moving some object out of the other team's base and back to your's or assaulting each other's fortresses. Dungeons and other content with some form of an end goal, with actual rewards and not a blob of poorly written text.

Now none of those features will likely ever come out. :effort:

Let us have hope that Jeb will do better now that Notch is apparently too busy for minecraft. That and maybe the guy they hired to work on the AI may have some kind of work ethic and might be pulled onto other minecraft related projects.

The thing with Jeb is that you can at least tell he is unhappy with how the game is and he admits that there needs to be things added to round it out. An example would be while he was helping out with NPC villages, he was expressing irritation that furniture or blocks that could be pretended to be furniture were more or less nonexistent, this lead him to acknowledge that yeah, you can build a kick rear end building, but it is going to be empty. He expressed that he wanted to add more furniture, but I have a feeling that between Notch tight control over design and his self imposed deadline, Jeb's hands were tied. So here is to Jeb maybe getting a bit of control and getting the game into better shape.

Also, though a little silly, weekly pre-releases will be good to show that they are working on the game. :v:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I imagine that when they built the houses for the NPC villages it was the first time in a long time they actually played the game, so maybe it gave them a taste of how empty and pointless the world is.

What killed my interest in the game was, after spending days building cool stuff with my pals online, I realised, none of this has any point. We build a massive library with legit farmed reeds and it took us multiple late nights, but it served no actual purpose. Imagine how much fun the game would be if the things you did, the objects you build had an actual gameplay function!

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

I get it, "ads".
Speaking of, adfly has been spiraling out of control since it first became a problem. They have whole sites for it now and modders will pass links to their website through adfly.

This is still the best adfly url.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fuego Fish posted:

The problem is that most people who are making Minecraft clones these days are slavishly trying to recreate Minecraft rather than actually innovate, because Minecraft is a success and popular, and maybe they're not bright enough to figure out that it is such a success and popular despite its flaws and problems, not because of them.
I have to agree. Ever since Minecraft came out to begin with, people have been talking about how they should just make "Minecraft, but better". Yet every clone I've seen has been an attempt at emulating without understanding. They copy specific features exactly, without knowing what makes them work (or not work). For instance, it seems like the vast majority of Minecraft clones use the same 3x3 crafting grid, for no real reason other than that Minecraft does it.

Terraria, on the other hand, is essentially the only game I can think of that took the spirit of Minecraft and made something different and unique, instead of copying -- and they've sold over a million copies because of it. They started out seemingly similar but have since diverged to be markedly different games. And crafting in Terraria definitely does not involve a 3x3 crafting grid. It took basic premises of what made Minecraft fun for people and developed its own take on them, whereas clones like Manic Digger, Uberblox, FortressCraft, and other games that even seem to rip from the name just try to be Minecraft.

As for the bitterness and disappointment regarding the original game itself, Minecraft is not [yet?] what I had hoped it would ultimately be. If I had a list of things I eventually wanted to see, we wouldn't be there yet.
But I have been playing, sometimes more and sometimes less, for basically two years.
For ten bucks I can't really be all that mad about it.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I seriously need some help in figuring out how to play this. This might come off as a little scattered or whiny, but it's really frustrating. This is how I play Minecraft...

I spawn, chop trees, point myself at a wall and hit rocks for hours. Then I have tons of materials and boxes and whatnot, and... then I walk around and die and loose it all. I never build anything because I don't know/can't find a good spot, or what a good spot IS; so I walk around, get lost, die miles away from my spawn, and quit. I can never find a place I think is visually interesting enough to put something next to.

I've played the game off and on for a year or two and I've never managed to build anything better than a two story cabin with no decorations. Minecraft is digging into solid rock for hours and then quitting. Another problem I have is that, while the point is to build things, and I wanna build a big cool castle and stuff, I never find a reason to. A little shack connected to a mine protects me just as much, if not more, than a big ol' fortress.

Building a big place seems pointless when I'm the only one in it. Does anyone know if there is a mod that lets me create NPC guards or my own town and villagers, so I can have people inside whatever castle I build? I'm using the Yogbox already, but that doesn't do what I'm looking for. I think that's what I want more than anything, a reason to build things besides "looks neat".

Is there anything I can do to help out with this? Preferably give me a better way to get resources than dig into a wall for hours? I'm sure as hell doing tons of mining in Minecraft, but really nothing else!

SSJ Reeko fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 26, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Well, I'm happy with spergin' away in singleplayer by myself, but it sounds like you really might have more fun playing online with other people.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Go into the caves, kill monsters.

Start out, build shelter wherever it's convenient. Start planting crops, mining some basic resources (finding coal and hopefully iron near the surface is helpful) until you get to the point of having a fair amount of stuff stockpiled that dying isn't tragic.

Bring a sword (preferably iron), several picks, a shovel, stack of gravel or dirt, stack of wood, food and torches and go spelunking. Kill monsters, dig up iron/coal/diamonds.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Well according to Jens on his twitter, Notch will be away doing other stuff and he'll be working full time on Minecraft. The best part is that Jens is going to try to release weekly prereleases on his twitter page. We might actually get some real work ethic now.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

Start out, build shelter wherever it's convenient. Start planting crops, mining some basic resources (finding coal and hopefully iron near the surface is helpful) until you get to the point of having a fair amount of stuff stockpiled that dying isn't tragic.

Bring a sword (preferably iron), several picks, a shovel, stack of gravel or dirt, stack of wood, food and torches and go spelunking. Kill monsters, dig up iron/coal/diamonds.

I've never planted crops, I didn't even know that I was a thing. What does that do exactly and how do I do it? It's funny, I'm totally sperging over Minecraft, but it's the kind that keeps me from doing anything.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SSJ Reeko posted:

I've never planted crops, I didn't even know that I was a thing. What does that do exactly and how do I do it? It's funny, I'm totally sperging over Minecraft, but it's the kind that keeps me from doing anything.
You can grow foods and other things.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

EDIT: ^^Dammit, that'll teach me to not refresh before posting.^^^

SSJ Reeko posted:

I think maybe you should read the wiki. If you didn't know you could plant crops, you need to read up on what else you are missing.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think I lot of this could've been boiled down to rushing at people, hoping the godawful netcode works in your favor. Having better weapons/armor than them also helps.

If this were an action FPS, god forbid a fighting game, everyone would jump ship from online play almost immediately. To be honest what little combat there is only hard because of that.

Yeah. The netcode isn't the best. But in my experience in pvp it works 'enough' to do what it does. If you flank someone and are clever you will generally do well. Occasional bugs might not work in your favor but really you will generally do good if you play smart.

All of this is moot at the moment because armor and harm potions are way too loving powerful respectively though.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 27, 2011

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Vib Rib posted:

Terraria, on the other hand, is essentially the only game I can think of that took the spirit of Minecraft and made something different and unique, instead of copying -- and they've sold over a million copies because of it. They started out seemingly similar but have since diverged to be markedly different games. And crafting in Terraria definitely does not involve a 3x3 crafting grid. It took basic premises of what made Minecraft fun for people and developed its own take on them, whereas clones like Manic Digger, Uberblox, FortressCraft, and other games that even seem to rip from the name just try to be Minecraft.

Yeah I want a urban post-apoctalyptic Minecraft-like or a stranded on an alien planet Minecraft-like. I checked out that one where you build ships and fly them around and while it's starting to look interesting it's still not even a thing yet.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

A stone sword and pick are fine for initial spelunking.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Quantumfate posted:

on topics besides everyone's being bitterly disappointed: does anyone have a good seed for an easy to find sprawling cave or abandoned mine complex? I want to start a new hardcore game and spend it mostly underground.

'MoThErFuCkIn MiRaClEs :o)'

100% serious. It has floating mountains, sprawling caves, and is lousy with abandoned mines. It's a great seed. I don't have any coordinates handy but cool underground poo poo should be very easy to find.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Quantumfate posted:

Death Bed is one that I've been recently dicking around with---I opened it up in creative to mess with some piston configurations that I couldn't get right, then found it to be really cool for Survival. You start on a medium-sized island with a few holes leading down into a whole shitload of caves, with the only trees in the area being on some small islands just a little ways over the water to the south. I spawned on the tip of a small peninsula from the island, looking out over ocean, vastly dramatic.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Vib Rib posted:

I have to agree. Ever since Minecraft came out to begin with, people have been talking about how they should just make "Minecraft, but better". Yet every clone I've seen has been an attempt at emulating without understanding. They copy specific features exactly, without knowing what makes them work (or not work). For instance, it seems like the vast majority of Minecraft clones use the same 3x3 crafting grid, for no real reason other than that Minecraft does it.

Y'know, there's a similar kind of thing that happens with some amateurs getting into tabletop RPG design. They want to make a game, and they decide that the game they want to make is D&D. Not just the theme and the setting, but right down to the classes and the specific mechanics.

Now, there's room out there for another few games based around exploring a fantasy world and killing it piece by piece, God knows there's been more than enough videogames on that concept, but the problem is that there's no variation. We get the same old wizard/cleric/paladin/thief classes with the same stupid spells and the same stupid monsters. Just like with Minecraft clones, it's all done by rote. We'll do this because the original does it, because that's what it has to be to be a success.

I really have no idea how you can be talented enough at programming to emulate Minecraft's 3D engine - I wouldn't know where to begin making a 2D engine - and yet not have a loving clue how to have an original thought about the gameplay or content that might differentiate it from the pre-existing product.

I'd really love to give a go at creating a Minecraft-inspired game, I've got a hell of a lot of ideas on the subject, but my coding prowess more or less ends at HTML. Tabletop Minecraft probably doesn't work so good either. Still, maybe I can try hiring a coder when I have a bit more spare cash kicking around :v:

Vib Rib posted:

As for the bitterness and disappointment regarding the original game itself, Minecraft is not [yet?] what I had hoped it would ultimately be. If I had a list of things I eventually wanted to see, we wouldn't be there yet.
But I have been playing, sometimes more and sometimes less, for basically two years.
For ten bucks I can't really be all that mad about it.

Yeah, likewise, although I can't say I see the game as it is at the moment as looking like it's worth twenty bucks to new players. When I bought Minecraft, it was an alpha, and my expectation was that by release it'd have all the bugs ironed out and all the gaps in gameplay filled. But twenty bucks or so for a "finished product" that's still missing so much? I can't say I'd go for it.

I wouldn't say notch is a bad designer, just that he's not got the experience. I think he just sees the game as more "his" game than being for other people. That's pure conjecture, mind you, but I think it'd explain a lot of his dodgy choices and general lackadaisical attitude to new content.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Fuego Fish posted:

Yeah, likewise, although I can't say I see the game as it is at the moment as looking like it's worth twenty bucks to new players. When I bought Minecraft, it was an alpha, and my expectation was that by release it'd have all the bugs ironed out and all the gaps in gameplay filled. But twenty bucks or so for a "finished product" that's still missing so much? I can't say I'd go for it.

A lot of people seem to have missed it got another price hike to go with the released status. It's now £17 / $25+ to buy in and for a new player they might not be quite as forgiving of it's rough edges in a supposed "released/finished" version at that price.

However I'm sure people will still get their moneys worth if they cough up the current rate but the gaming landscape has changed a lot in the last 12+ months and for that much nowadays you can get a ton of indie gameplaying goodness. Terraria is about to get it's first "expansion" style patch and is currently £3 on Steam for example, they've sold over 1m so far.

Just pointing it out, not claiming MC is dead or anything but personally I only play modded MC now when I do occasionally play. I more than got my moneys worth and no doubt will put many future hours in. I mostly check the vanilla thread out to see the sadly all too rare nowadays amazing build pictures people used to post or interesting new texture packs etc. Stop spelunking and build stuff damnit :v:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

I honestly had no problem paying nearly 15 bucks for alpha because it was a pretty simple fun to play game with indev and creative. as its developed I've slowly leared all the features and played with them.

If i was a new player however, and spent 30 bucks to get tossed into an infinite wilderness with no idea what to do, no idea what all these things such as biomes,seeds,strongholds and such are, with nothing for guidance but a lovely achievement system and people telling me to go to a wiki to have 50 crafting recipes infodumped on me, I'd consider the game a piece of poo poo and not worth the time to make fun.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Tengames posted:

If i was a new player however, and spent 30 bucks to get tossed into an infinite wilderness with no idea what to do, no idea what all these things such as biomes,seeds,strongholds and such are, with nothing for guidance but a lovely achievement system and people telling me to go to a wiki to have 50 crafting recipes infodumped on me, I'd consider the game a piece of poo poo and not worth the time to make fun.

I'm gonna have to agree. 10-15 dollars was excusable back in alpha because it was a fun, if pointless game promising more features. I wouldn't buy this game for 30 bucks because it's basically incomplete, nevermind how fun it might be.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Crosscontaminant posted:

most of the maps on the server I play on are creative-mode with thumpers to stop mobs spawning inside the radius of effect.

Are thumpers something from a mod? I've never heard of them and didn't see anything about them on the Minecraft wiki.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Is there a list of mods that work on 1.0 servers? I don't know how quickly they've been updated, but I remember reading there were issues with the 1.0 game and some of the most popular mods. I've never used any in my single-player games but since I don't want to do the end-game stuff in my SMP game I want to add some of the bigger mods for some variety.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

(I'm pretty sure this belongs here and not the mod thread, as this isn't a mod running in the Minecraft app).

What's the best map renderer for 1.0 maps? I used to use Cartographer G, however it tends to wait until it's 99% done (every time without hyperbole) to fail rendering. Now it could be because our server map is so huge (especially now that our server is using the Nether as a fast travel system), but there must be something that can handle it given enough time. Even if it does something like Google Maps and chops the images into a bunch of smaller ones.

Does anyone have a good map renderer for oversized maps?

EDIT: vv You never started making that giant robot on our server like you said you were going to!

IUG fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 26, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I think my favorite thing to do in Minecraft is just go on a creative SMP server and build giant robots. So it's like it was never indev! :v:

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
I know this is "MC is shamefully incomplete" chat, playing hardcore mode is actually pretty fun. It makes singleplayer worthwhile again for me. Partly because I don't feel obligated to sit on resources because "I'll need it later." The seed the RNG gave to me was really nice too. The seed 5305252837056041539 spawns you in a field next to a pine forest, a river, and a network of caves (that go deep) with iron, coal, and a lava fall right near the surface. Not enough sand for glass nearby, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So uh, the newest Yogscast... :lol:

http://youtu.be/SxzUmD-BjBA

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Macaluso posted:

Good lord! *choke*

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 27, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Times posted:

Good lord! *choke*

I agree with the idea of hotlink protection, but I find it ironic that they load a full page of text and images to tell you "no hotlinking" as opposed to the couple-thousand-byte image in the first place. It seems like it'd make it more prone to being accidentally DDOS'd.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I agree with the idea of hotlink protection, but I find it ironic that they load a full page of text and images to tell you "no hotlinking" as opposed to the couple-thousand-byte image in the first place. It seems like it'd make it more prone to being accidentally DDOS'd.

Well I edited out the link.

It's just that the old EC Horror cliche line was pretty much my reaction and I wanted to illustrate that.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Macaluso posted:

Honeydew as a hairless dwarf pony. Welp.

I feel like I should read the thread for that mod. There's no way it isn't hilariously awful. Minecraft fans and bronies in one place.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Miijhal posted:

Honeydew as a hairless dwarf pony. Welp.

I feel like I should read the thread for that mod. There's no way it isn't hilariously awful. Minecraft fans and bronies in one place.

He has nipples. :gonk: Also: Balding knight peculier pony.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I expected it to be a mod that added ponies like the horse mod or whatever, so when I saw Simon I couldn't stop laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I expected it to be a mod that added ponies like the horse mod or whatever, so when I saw Simon I couldn't stop laughing.

That's about the time I went "NOPE" and closed the tab. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.