Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

bigmcgaffney posted:

Happy Thanksgiving WildCards, everyone get ready to get your neep on

Our trenchers overflow this eve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Brought lemoncakes to Thanksgiving this year and now all my family's been murdered by traitorous Freys. Thanks, GRRM.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

Brought lemoncakes to Thanksgiving this year and now all my family's been murdered by traitorous Freys. Thanks, GRRM.

Frey pies for christmas, then, see? It all works out.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Happy Thanksgiving thread. I'm also thankful for missing the Monty Python line and I'm pretty surprised, I love that movie. Did he really say I fart in your general direction? There is no way I missed that...

my cat is norris posted:

I also brought some lemoncakes! Went over well have a bunch of ASOIAF fans in the fam.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Here's a link with the Python reference (to save me the time of looking it up in the book myself): http://ikilldragonsforaliving.tumblr.com/post/8212224997/lol-monty-python-quote-in-a-dance-with-dragons

It's not a direct quote from Holy Grail but it's close enough that I don't believe for second that that fat old nerd didn't know exactly what he was doing. I can totally see him being pleased with himself over that little Easter egg.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

smarion2 posted:

Happy Thanksgiving thread.

I am thankful this thread is bad again. How about you horrible monsters?

I want some of Norris's lemoncakes though, no lemoncakes here at all.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Here's a link with the Python reference (to save me the time of looking it up in the book myself): http://ikilldragonsforaliving.tumblr.com/post/8212224997/lol-monty-python-quote-in-a-dance-with-dragons

It's not a direct quote from Holy Grail but it's close enough that I don't believe for second that that fat old nerd didn't know exactly what he was doing. I can totally see him being pleased with himself over that little Easter egg.

Oh yes, I remember it now. It kind of blended on with the poo poo literal which was the average Dany chapter, so went under my radar.

Perhaps next book we will learn about laden and unladen dragons and how they might carry a coconut.

PS: Jon is not dead. He's just pining for the fjords

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 25, 2011

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I'm a whiskeyjack and I'm ok.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I neep all night and I rape all day.

Also rape is now the default autocorrect for tape on this phone :ohdear:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Must neeps evacuate my bowels in your general direction ~Tyrion Lancaster, A Dance of Dragons

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

hailthefish posted:

Frey pies for christmas, then, see? It all works out.

Mmmm.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
On second thought, let's not go to Mereen, it is a silly place.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The worst part of this book is how he avoids resolving poo poo. I know there's going to be another book but he almost seems afraid to tie anything up. I think the Malazan series did a good job balancing the build-up with the actual events that take place, but Grrm has taken it past the point where I'm curious about the characters and I honestly don't care about John Snow or Theon anymore.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

NovemberMike posted:

The worst part of this book is how he avoids resolving poo poo. I know there's going to be another book but he almost seems afraid to tie anything up. I think the Malazan series did a good job balancing the build-up with the actual events that take place, but Grrm has taken it past the point where I'm curious about the characters and I honestly don't care about John Snow or Theon anymore.

Yeah, I have to agree in full. He could kill off pretty much anyone but perhaps Arya, and I really would no longer have a poo poo to be given.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I would be okay with it at this point if he announced that WoW is now going to be the last book and it will be nothing but Arya chapters and all that happens is that she returns to Westeros, teams up with Bronn and together they kill the poo poo out of everyone. Good enough.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I was pretty happy with Theon's character arc when he was supposedly killed and am not sure why we needed half a dozen additional chapters about "Reek".

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If there's anything to complain about from this book, the Reek chapters are not it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, the Reek bits are nasty and definitely don't add much to the grand arc, but they're an adequate look at PTSD resulting from torture.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, the Reek bits are nasty and definitely don't add much to the grand arc, but they're an adequate look at PTSD resulting from torture.

I got the weird feeling that they were supposed to give me a boner, which I suppose is a form of PTSD resulting from reading ASoIaF

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Can some of you guys write up the chapter summaries that are on Tower of the Hand ( http://towerofthehand.com/books/105/003/index.html ) for me?

Or is there a good summary of the book written here somewhere?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Theon was one of the only tolerable parts of ADWD, what are you people talking about?

e:

Spermy Smurf posted:

Can some of you guys write up the chapter summaries that are on Tower of the Hand ( http://towerofthehand.com/books/105/003/index.html ) for me?

Or is there a good summary of the book written here somewhere?

Sure, here is a brief summary of what happens in ADWD:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

IRQ posted:

Sure, here is a brief summary of what happens in ADWD:

This is actually really loving accurate, and not just in an "LOL BAD THREAD" kind-of way.

I just tried to think about what happens, and all I thought was "subplot, subplot, subplot, subplot that may intersect with the main plots, subplot, plot stalled out due to bad weather, subplot that's just left by the wayside, Jon gets stabbed in the back SEE YOU IN HALF A DECADE."

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

RCarr posted:

If there's anything to complain about from this book, the Reek chapters are not it.

We are Reek, my friend. We are Reek.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
I am starting to hope that the TV series is cancelled after the events of A Storms of Swords. Season 1 was already quite a feat to manage and balance all the storylines and characters, I have no idea what the producers plan on doing with all the dull do-nothing minor characters and plotlines Martin started adding in book 4 after so much energy was invested into the Starks and Lannisters.

Or maybe they can post a Youtube five-minute animated stick-figure montage that summarizes book 4 and 5 and then ignore they ever happened.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
It would be best if a committee of writers took over from adapating Martin's work after Storm of Swords and just finished up the loving story, especially since it's the only thing remotely close to a resolution we'll ever get.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

KJ Anderson and Brian Herbert, come on down! You're the next authors on A Song of Ice and Fire!

This evening, the role of Jaime Lannister shall be played by Drew Carey.

The only requirement for the author to finish the series is that they understand the narrative necessity of Syrio Forel surfing a zombie dragon.

Thulsa Doom fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 27, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

KJ Anderson and Brian Herbert, come on down! You're the next authors on A Song of Ice and Fire!

This evening, the role of Jaime Lannister shall be played by Drew Carey.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I just tried to think about what happens, and all I thought was "subplot, subplot, subplot, subplot that may intersect with the main plots, subplot, plot stalled out due to bad weather, subplot that's just left by the wayside…

So IRQ wasnt joking? So glad i didnt buy and havent read it yet.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

Lots of things almost happen. It's another book all about build up. The more I think about it the more I get pissed about what GRUM has been doing for the past 11 years. Why did he not just skip these like has planned???

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

smarion2 posted:

Lots of things almost happen. It's another book all about build up. The more I think about it the more I get pissed about what GRUM has been doing for the past 11 years. Why did he not just skip these like has planned???

Because Danayeris' poo poo escapades were epic, and needed to be expounded upon at length.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Because he doesn't believe in outlines and has no idea where this story is going. Gotta know what you're skipping to.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

bigmcgaffney posted:

Because Danayeris' poo poo escapades were epic, and needed to be expounded upon at length.

I believe the technical term is shitscapades, and they were indeed epic and filled with blood.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bigmcgaffney posted:

Two important issues:

1. What is the Monty Python reference in question? I remember reading one but forgot exactly what it was.

There were 3

The Unsullied don't run when someone farts in their general direction.

"We're fighting shrubbery!" (I think)

"And One!" - The Crone.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

bigmcgaffney posted:

Spoiler that poo poo! (literally)

Honey Spiced Locusts

quote:

Honey-spiced Locusts

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
pinch of salt
1 cup cleaned insects (we used freeze dried crickets from Amazon)
2 Tbs. honey
1 tsp. Aleppo pepper, mixed in with the honey

Melt your butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the insects and and salt and stir gently for around 10 minutes, making sure to get them completely covered in butter.
When the bugs are suitably crisped, drizzle the spice-honey over them and stir a bit more. Then spread them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and cook for around 10 minutes at 200 F, until the bugs are no longer quite so sticky.

STRONG BELWAS NOT FEEL TOO GOOD *FARTZ*

*VOMITS*

*EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA*

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 27, 2011

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

plot stalled out due to bad weather
God, I didn't even think of it this way yet. I don't know what's worse, him using the weather like this or that stupid threatening letter being the resolution we got for that plot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Spermy Smurf posted:

No I wasn't. No less than 3 characters take a slow boat to China Dany for almost the entire loving book, and those that get to her have no payoff whatsoever because she fucks off to nowhere and eats diarrhea berries for most of the book while everyone in her stupid city die from diarrhea disease. Yes Gurm wrote a lot of making GBS threads into this book.

The biggest thing that "happens" is Jon gets Caesared by the watch, but it's so blindingly obvious that it's just setup that it really means nothing.

2 books, 11 years, and 2000 pages of setup.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

smarion2 posted:

Why did he not just skip these like has planned???

Because while some things made sense to timeskip, like Sam and Arya's training, some would make no sense taking place more than a few weeks later, like Cersei's trial... oh.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Ross posted:

I was pretty happy with Theon's character arc when he was supposedly killed and am not sure why we needed half a dozen additional chapters about "Reek".

Theon's arc is as follows:

Unsufferable self important poo poo -> treasonous self important poo poo -> "dead" -> victim of torture -> pitiful -> mildly interesting

That's where ADWD ends. From here on out, it'll be:

Subject of pity and scorn among his peers -> badass archer -> awesome, vengeful badass archer -> really dead in a relatively noble and/or selfless manner. He'll probably be bros with Jon, too.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Colonel Pancreas posted:

Theon's arc is as follows:

Unsufferable self important poo poo -> treasonous self important poo poo -> "dead" -> victim of torture -> pitiful -> mildly interesting

That's where ADWD ends. From here on out, it'll be:

Subject of pity and scorn among his peers -> badass archer -> awesome, vengeful badass archer -> really dead in a relatively noble and/or selfless manner. He'll probably be bros with Jon, too.

Theon will be the Teucer to Jon's Ajax the Greater.

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 27, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
ADWD was a terrible book but the stuff about House Bolton was pretty incredible. I wish Ramsay and his father played a larger role in the first three books; both were roughly a trillion times more interesting than Joffrey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Just finished ADWD last night.

1. Is Jon Snow dead for the watch?
2. Why didn't Daenyris fly away when Khal Jhoqo stumbled upon her eating a horse?
3. What happened to Zombie Cat and the Lightening Lord (the real magic sword owner?)