Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Cliche Guevara posted:

This poster was basically me three years ago, as a listener to the show. Christ, I actually got memories.

You do realize there's a 100:1 chance someone's gonna agree with your posts here, or SFN, right? I'm just saying. I'm not exactly part of a minority, here...

No... I realize that most folks here aren't fans, they just like to bag on the show, that's how SA is in general, angry internet nerds who complain about poo poo and like counter-culture / ironic / cliche poo poo. I've been a member long enough to realize that.

The good thing is though, while they think the show sucks and don't enjoy it, I can still listen when I have time and enjoy it. So while people can be negative and lovely all they want, I don't sweat the small stuff. If I didn't like the show, I wouldn't listen. Instead of listening and complaining that it's utter poo poo "compared to what it used to be."

Stern is cyclical. When Jackie left, people said it was "horrible", when Billy West left, same deal w/ Jon, it was "horrible", and now with Artie (that's where my gripes are, the show hasn't been the same w/o Artie, he made it so much better) being gone, the show is just "total poo poo." If one thing about the show remains though, it has ups and downs, but it's always listenable, that's why the stupid shits here keep turning it on and subscribing or downloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The complaints come because people here are fans don't want the show to just be the most polished of all turds. The rest of radio is poo poo, we all know it, but that's how it has always been and Stern has never been this bad. People still listen because the alternatives are still way worse but that doesn't change the fact that the show is a shadow of its' former self.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
I don't get why people willingly subject themselves to poo poo they don't like. Stop listening if it's so terrible. Your complaints are invalid.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

hunter x az posted:

I don't get why people willingly subject themselves to poo poo they don't like. Stop listening if it's so terrible. Your complaints are invalid.

I don't listen to the show anymore but I think you should take your own advice and go make a thread for all the true fans of the Howard Stern show. You obviously hate everybody in this one.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gently caress Howard, gently caress Robin, gently caress Artie... Hi Fred.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

I don't listen to the show anymore but I think you should take your own advice and go make a thread for all the true fans of the Howard Stern show. You obviously hate everybody in this one.

I don't care enough to make the effort. It's not a huge deal, more of an annoyance.

hunter x az fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 26, 2011

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

hunter x az posted:

I think the reason that so many people who "hate" the show now still listen is because they are holding out hope that it will return to its former glory. After the HSS puts out so much great content over the years, you tend to get used to it. So now it's just a waiting game to see if Beth has a baby, divorce, Stern's parents die, something to knock some compelling radio out of that show. Hard to let go of something you took for granted.

I should say that I am not a Sirius subscriber and haven't listened to a show since K-Rock, but this is the feeling I get from the other fans here and SFN. I think I am more of an Artie fan now anyway, that's why I follow this thread.

Bonzo posted:

was just going to say that I've noticed Artie getting fatter each time I see him.

The pics that were released after he left rehab were really good. When I saw him on Letterman he looked the same as two years ago but wasn't glass eyed. He still had a huge belly and wore that one pair of pants that fit him.

Seeing as how his family still babies him and he's done nothing about his Daddy issues I don't think this will last.

I have a feeling that Artie will relapse. He is slowly starting to go back to his old way of life, doing stand up while being on the radio. This time though, the show is on at night so it will be a little easier for him to party at night without having to wake up at 5 AM or whatever. You're right, the pictures of him immediately after rehab he looks fit (for Artie) and healthy. He is starting to put all the weight back on. Can you imagine what he is going to do when his mother dies? Disgrazia.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

porkfriedrice posted:

I think the reason that so many people who "hate" the show now still listen is because they are holding out hope that it will return to its former glory. After the HSS puts out so much great content over the years, you tend to get used to it.

Stern fans have bitched like this for years and years, as hunter x az said. There has never been any golden period where the people that take the time to comment in a place like did anything except incessantly cry about how the show isn't good enough.

edit: the revisionism and lust for Artie cracks me up, he isn't nearly as funny / wasn't nearly as good on the show as suggested in this thread.

ragle fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 26, 2011

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

ragle posted:

Stern fans have bitched like this for years and years, as hunter x az said. There has never been any golden period where the people that take the time to comment in a place like did anything except incessantly cry about how the show isn't good enough.

From what I have read, the general consensus is that the 90s early 00s shows are favorites of the fans, and that's what people are comparing that present day shows to. Like I said, I haven't heard the show recently, so I was just trying to see it through the eyes of the present-day listener.

ragle posted:

edit: the revisionism and lust for Artie cracks me up, he isn't nearly as funny / wasn't nearly as good on the show as suggested in this thread.

Yeah he was. From what I can tell, you have the minority opinion. But hey, some people just don't like Artie.

porkfriedrice fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 26, 2011

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

That reminds me of the whole "Hey Boff I got a game. I bet you cant make me mad with one sentence"
Howard proceeds to say "Gary you cheat on your wife"
Hilarity and Gary ball busting follows. Those were the days.

And when it came around to Robin Howard refused to say anything about her because he knew she couldn't handle it. I wanted him to tell Robin that she contributes nothing to the show and he only keeps her around so he can make sexist and racist jokes. Then she would have stormed out of the room never to return. She would be back in Washington on an all-news station doing traffic and weather updates every 15 minutes for $30k a year.

hunter x az posted:

Stern is cyclical. When Jackie left, people said it was "horrible", when Billy West left, same deal w/ Jon, it was "horrible", and now with Artie (that's where my gripes are, the show hasn't been the same w/o Artie, he made it so much better) being gone, the show is just "total poo poo." If one thing about the show remains though, it has ups and downs, but it's always listenable, that's why the stupid shits here keep turning it on and subscribing or downloading.

It has had ups and down but it has never been this down nor has it been this long before another upswing. When Billy left they still had Jackie and John there, plus Howard still had a lot of energy with his movie around the corner. When Jackie left they had a lot of good comedians sitting in practically the next day, like Dave Chappelle and Joe Rogan. Only nine months after Jackie left they hired Artie. When John left I hardly noticed since he hadn't done any of his ambush interviews in a while.

What remains on the show now is Howard and Robin talking about how much they love Steve Jobs for four hours. They haven't filled the Artie chair and I'm sure they never will, because that would require effort. The show hasn't been good since 2009 in my opinion and it's probably earlier since I got sick of Artie monopolizing the show with his drug antics towards the end.

A 2-3 year lull is awful, and with a three day work week there's no evidence of any effort going into the show for the future. The last full shows I listened to were the ones with George Takei back in September. I still check marksfriggin once in a while but as soon as I see "Howard talks about Dancing with the Stars for an hour" or "Howard interviews Leslie West and then takes a call from David Arquette" or "Howard promotes the new Beth O dog calendar" I know not to bother listening, and that's pretty much every show.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Former Human posted:

When John left I hardly noticed since he hadn't done any of his ambush interviews in a while.

Ya but you got a few weeks of great Radio with Win Johns Job.

I like to imagine that if Artie had just left or been fired and not had the suicide attempt then we might had had a Win Artie's Job.

The dude stabbing himself 12 times really put a damper on things and the show will never recover. There is just a cloud that hangs over it.

This is a random example, but its like NewsRadio after Phil Hartman died.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

This is a random example, but its like NewsRadio after Phil Hartman died.

Are you trying to imply that Andy Dick was the one selling heroin to Artie?

Because I would believe that.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Artie stabbing himself took the cloud away from the show, it was more depressing watching him kill himself on the show for awhile there. Lots of uncomfortable moments there.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
gently caress you fat Artie! Hi Sal ;-*

AxeManiac posted:

Artie stabbing himself took the cloud away from the show, it was more depressing watching him kill himself on the show for awhile there. Lots of uncomfortable moments there.

It took me way too long to go from "Haha Artie is a fat heroin addict, that silly Artie is up to his old tricks" to "Oh God I'm listening to him slowly die", personally.

During the 'good days' with Artie, though, he added a hell of a lot to segments with any sort of oddball guests.

Tim Selaty Jr fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 26, 2011

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Former Human posted:

They haven't filled the Artie chair and I'm sure they never will, because that would require effort.

I agree with you, except that it is properly known as the Jackie Chair. :colbert:

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Artie "dying" on the show? You guys are drama queens. There was nothing ever overt while listening to the show. The visual was bad on HowardTV but that's more from Artie just being a lovely pig who doesn't take care of himself. He didn't have the typical heroin junkie look. He's just a loving slob.

prefect posted:

I agree with you, except that it is properly known as the Jackie Chair. :colbert:

It was the Jackie chair, but then it became the Artie chair after Artie filled it, just as good as, if not better than Jackie.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

hunter x az posted:

Artie "dying" on the show? You guys are drama queens. There was nothing ever overt while listening to the show.

You're right, Artie's trouble with a crippling addiction was never discussed dozens and dozens of times in this thread.

Tim Selaty Jr fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 27, 2011

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hunter x az posted:

It was the Jackie chair, but then it became the Artie chair after Artie filled it, just as good as, if not better than Jackie.

Heh. I wasn't sure if you were trolling before, but now you've given yourself away. :)

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

hunter x az posted:

Was it the same chair? :wth:

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

A Intimate Rimjobs posted:

You're right, Artie's trouble with a crippling addiction was never discussed dozens and dozens of times in this thread.

I'm not sure what you mean? I know it's been discussed in this thread, but that was after the cat was let out of the bag. Nobody ever posted "Man, sure does sound like Artie is waging a private battle of heroin addiction" before 2006 or whenever it was when he came out. He was just a fat lazy slob with a lovely attitude and bad anger problem.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

hunter x az posted:

I'm not sure what you mean?

That's because you're a big stupid

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

A Intimate Rimjobs posted:

That's because you're a big stupid

Uh ok. Keep posting lovely comments. Wait, nevermind, do us all a favor; stop posting.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

hunter x az posted:

Uh ok. Keep posting lovely comments. Wait, nevermind, do us all a favor; stop posting.

I wish back seat mods would make like Artie and stab themselves.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I wish back seat mods would make like Artie and stab themselves.

I'm not backseat modding, he's just a lovely terrible poster.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BbekNJWXFQ&hd=1

What an angel :angel:

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

hunter x az posted:

I'm not backseat modding, he's just a lovely terrible poster.

His rap sheet is more of an Eric the Midget and yours is more akin to Bigfoot it is.

If it gets any longer it might grow legs and try to sue Vermont.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

sedative posted:

Haha, man, I just tried editing some movies I shot with my GoPro Hero 2 camera, and they sucked balls compared to his. That's pretty cool. He has some cool poo poo going on.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

sedative posted:

beth is really into birds she married a pelican and now she saved a gul

save a seagull, rob a pelican

Sometimes I really love YouTube comments.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

hunter x az posted:

Artie "dying" on the show? You guys are drama queens. There was nothing ever overt while listening to the show. The visual was bad on HowardTV but that's more from Artie just being a lovely pig who doesn't take care of himself. He didn't have the typical heroin junkie look. He's just a loving slob.

Did you listen to the Artie Lange addiction saga? It actually was incredibly clear that he was headed down a path of destruction, but it was far less evident with all the regular bits and segments inbetween the Artie talk.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

hunter x az posted:

Haha, man, I just tried editing some movies I shot with my GoPro Hero 2 camera, and they sucked balls compared to his. That's pretty cool. He has some cool poo poo going on.

The video was kind of shaky

He should have used his Video Caddy

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
ugh just get on top of me and get it over with, luckily you're a two pump chump.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chiz posted:

ugh just get on top of me and get it over with, luckily you're a two pump chump.

She doesn't like foreplay.

It's great!

I hope by the time I'm 55 my sex life consists of 15 seconds of missionary loving with a condom, then I run to the bathroom with 12 rescued animals by my side, only to shove wet wipes up my whole rear end in a top hat and check for stains.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

chiz posted:

Have to be quick or you'll miss the beginning of Dancing with the Stars.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

porkfriedrice posted:

From what I have read, the general consensus is that the 90s early 00s shows are favorites of the fans, and that's what people are comparing that present day shows to. Like I said, I haven't heard the show recently, so I was just trying to see it through the eyes of the present-day listener.

Yeah he was. From what I can tell, you have the minority opinion. But hey, some people just don't like Artie.

Exaggerating Artie's importance to the show is just part of hating on Howard. Artie is a funny guy and was good on the show but he has a limited shtick and is in no way the transcendent talent that Howard has been for so long. The show elevated him more than he elevated the show, check out his work aside from radio w/ Stern.

ITT we take a handful of funny Artie anecdotes and pretend he was that good every day.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Artie's laugh alone is a wonderful thing that is missed on the Stern show. It also made the news always worth listening to.

By the way, there is a Sour Shoes segment on Howard TV (Behind the Scenes Show 7). It is just bizarre. Seeing him do everything in person takes it to a whole new level of loving weird.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The show has suffered with the lack of a third voice in the room. Look at how much of a improvement in the quality when they have anyone sit in anymore. Howard does best when he has someone to play off of, and frankly Robin has never been that person.

In the Jackie days it was them goofing on someone else or Howard goofing on Jackie's life or habits. With Artie it was more of a fascination with Howard into Artie's life and Artie taking the role of a villain from time to time.

With John and Jackie gone there is no "Hitler Youth" around anymore to bring embarrassing stories about other staff to Howard. I would be amazed if something on the level of the Gary Puppet theft, Fred's Fight meltdown or Timmy the Cat could be done anymore.

The fact that Howard hasn't got someone to fill the chair is beyond me.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

ragle posted:

Exaggerating Artie's importance to the show is just part of hating on Howard. Artie is a funny guy and was good on the show but he has a limited shtick and is in no way the transcendent talent that Howard has been for so long. The show elevated him more than he elevated the show, check out his work aside from radio w/ Stern.

ITT we take a handful of funny Artie anecdotes and pretend he was that good every day.

Artie was a booster shot to the old days, most people didn't listen in the old days, just got to know the show with Artie. He is a talker, a story teller and a vicious mean funny fat dude that will rip on anything. He would tell Eric the Midget to gently caress off an die and go to short people hell when Howard would be too afraid to cut him loose because he turned into a neurotic mess.

He used to wish people brain cancer, now he can't tell a loving annoying ingrate of a shitstain like Eric to gently caress off. He hardly yells at Gary anymore.

Nobody really like Stuttering John or Jackie that much either, but they stirred up poo poo Howard wouldn't or didn't care about.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj63jCKWnyg

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
If you're not paying attention, you might think Artie was funnier than Jackie, but you're missing Jackie's most important contributions. He was a burr under the saddle. He made Fred uncomfortable, which pushed him to work harder. He pointed out things about Booey and Robin to Howard, and he egged Howard on once he started goofing on people. And when Jackie was being sharp and pointing out goof targets, Robin would do the same; she used to be superb at pointing out Booey's failures to Howard.

With Jackie gone, there's no goofing on other people on the show, except maybe JD. (And when JD is the center of attention, it's sad. When Howard would ridicule Gange and especially Grillo, it was meaner and funnier, and somehow it didn't get sad.) Nowadays, the monkey thinks he's deserving of respect, Fred is totally comatose, Robin has jumped head-first into looney "medical" advice, and Howard goofs on nobody (especially if they're famous and might be his friend).

Everybody recognizes how good Stuttering John was at starting fights and reporting on people, but Jackie was better. He had a quick mind and a ready laugh, and he raised the performances of everyone around him, even if they weren't always happy about it.

And when it was Jackie and Billy West working together, my god that was beautiful. Back in the golden and silver ages of the Stern show, it was a glorious example of the whole being so much greater than the sum of its parts.

(My golden age: the Billy West years. My silver age: the post-Billy pre-divorce years, with special points when KC showed up.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

kylej posted:

She doesn't like foreplay.

It's great!

I hope by the time I'm 55 my sex life consists of 15 seconds of missionary loving with a condom, then I run to the bathroom with 12 rescued animals by my side, only to shove wet wipes up my whole rear end in a top hat and check for stains.

make sure you poke around for remnants