Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The best thing is the war between the pony loving autists and everyone else in the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Macaluso posted:

So uh, the newest Yogscast... :lol:

http://youtu.be/SxzUmD-BjBA

I was waiting for the "haha yeah right gently caress bronies" bait and switch but it never came. :stare:

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

SSJ Reeko posted:

I'm sure as hell doing tons of mining in Minecraft, but really nothing else!
Things you can try to build and which need considerable space:
an (automated) wheat farm
a chicken farm
a xp grinder
a grinder for mob drops
an automated melon and pumpkin farm
a laboratory for potion brewing
a library for enchantments
a railway system

all of this is more fun if you play with a friend.

Chew Toy
Nov 28, 2010

I'm unhappy, Jon.
I haven't played in a while so I have a question about sheep. After you shear a sheep, how long does it take for their wool to grow back in?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It doesn't.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

heeen posted:

Things you can try to build and which need considerable space:

a chicken farm

Heck, the glass on top is only really there to seal in freshness.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Miijhal posted:

I feel like I should read the thread for that mod. There's no way it isn't hilariously awful. Minecraft fans and bronies in one place.

I paid the thread a visit (I felt it was thematically appropriate) and while it wasn't that bad I did find this:

quote:

I just nerded all over the floor. ALL OVER THE FLOOR! IM COVERED IN MY OWN PONY MERD JUICE!!!!!! LOL
:stare:

Youtube comments are as terrible as always though.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I was waiting for the "haha yeah right gently caress bronies" bait and switch but it never came. :stare:

Welp, if they are serious about that brony thing then i will have to hit that unsub button.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Depths posted:

Welp, if they are serious about that brony thing then i will have to hit that unsub button.
It seems like its just Hannah that is a fan, and the rest of them are going along with it because its just plain ridiculous.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It seems like its just Hannah that is a fan, and the rest of them are going along with it because its just plain ridiculous.

I think "it's just plain ridiculous" is the reason they are even doing it. I mean really seeing Knight Peculiar in pony form was hilarious.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Depths posted:

Bronies are terrible but I think you're worse.

Ugh Miley Cyrus is on cable GOD THAT'S IT I'M loving CANCELLING THE CABLE

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JohnDonovanLiver posted:

I wouldn't buy this game for 30 bucks because it's basically incomplete, nevermind how fun it might be.
You've got a good point, especially given the game's "completion" VS release status. But I generally pay for games based on how fun they are, myself.

Macaluso posted:

I think "it's just plain ridiculous" is the reason they are even doing it.
One could argue that "it's just plain ridiculous" is the reason the Yogscast guys do anything.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
First they carve "gently caress you" into an infant's forehead and now this???

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I've heard the Yogcast survival adventure Shadows thing is quite good to watch, but where am I supposed to start? Should I start at the first Shadows video or somewhere else? The description gives the indication it's a continuation is all.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

a starwar betamax posted:

First they carve "gently caress you" into an infant's forehead and now this???

I heard they set him on fire afterwards.

On the topic of Minecraft being incomplete, I'm kind of burnt out on it myself. The only place I find fun in the game anymore is doing multiplayer survival with 3 friends and dicking around and whatnot.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

SSJ Reeko posted:

I've heard the Yogcast survival adventure Shadows thing is quite good to watch, but where am I supposed to start? Should I start at the first Shadows video or somewhere else?

Well the original video where they first play Minecraft gradually leads right into Shadow of Isrephael after a while (with a survival Island detour) so you might as well start with the beginning (although the second one where they spend a majority of their time inside a dark house during the night isn't too compelling)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Depths posted:

Honestly it should strengthen you connection to them since you share the trait of giving enough of a poo poo about a kids cartoon that it affects your decisions.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

I think "it's just plain ridiculous" is the reason they are even doing it. I mean really seeing Knight Peculiar in pony form was hilarious.

Yeah, if you watch their videos regularly and you didn't laugh at either Old Ponyculiar or half of their number suffocating in the ceiling when zombies interrupted their sleep, then I can't help you. Your funny bone is broken.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Lot of backlash against them doing pony stuff in a video which I find weird. Who gives a poo poo if someone likes a kids show? Where is the frothing hate for grown men who like pokemon?

Though I agree as far as tv show fans go the pony fans are up there among the most insufferable. Who would seriously call themselves a "brony" and not realize how retarded that sounds? I just don't see why it causes so much extra backlash when it's just like all the other older fans of kids shows.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 27, 2011

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
So it's a reference to the My Little Pony stuff? I feel like I'm outside of the joke. I know people here have pony avatars but it's not an SA-exclusive thing, is it? Do people actually like the show or is it supposed to be ironic?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Death Himself posted:

Lot of backlash against them doing pony stuff in a video which I find weird. Who gives a poo poo if someone likes a kids show? Where is the frothing hate for grown men who like pokemon?

Though I agree as far as tv show fans go the pony fans are up there among the most insufferable. Who would seriously call themselves a "brony" and not realize how retarded that sounds? I just don't see why it causes so much extra backlash when it's just like all the other older fans of kids shows.

Like everything terrible on the internet, 4chan is involved.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Death Himself posted:

I find most hardcore fans of children shows insufferable, MLP fans are just among them. They're also the most prominent now so they get the most ire directed at them. In all honesty Simon sounds like he never watches the show and only knows what Hannah tells him and Lewis probably has to watch it because of Hannah but even if they were both fans or whatever it's not like they're obnoxious about it like most "bronies" are. I'll just not watch these videos because I find the character models incredibly disturbing.

SSJ Reeko posted:

I've heard the Yogcast survival adventure Shadows thing is quite good to watch, but where am I supposed to start? Should I start at the first Shadows video or somewhere else? The description gives the indication it's a continuation is all.

If you want to skip the initial stereotypical "guys blunder about doing mundane stuff in minecraft" phase then you can go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOSA5aoQzGM&feature=autoplay&list=SL&lf=sh_e_se&playnext=1

The series in its infancy starts out fairly slowly, terrorville is really small and there's not much to the activities they do, but after the "survival island" interlude (which only ties into the main thing at the very end) they start scaling things up considerably, and eventually they're flying to giant floating cities and and poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 27, 2011

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 1, 2014

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I've been breeding sheep like mad to acquire wool. While wool seems more difficult to acquire, dyes last forever now. As sheep pass on their color genes, you only have to dye two sheep and their offspring, and their offspring's offspring, will all be said color.

I have a huge pen of green sheep.

I have a terrible feeling I'm going to build like twenty sheep pens all full of different color sheep.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.
I think they mainly didn't make fun of being ponies because it made fun of itself so well.

"I'm a pit pony. I'm a cut little horse, trapped down in a pit."
"Yes, I know, it's tragic."

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Jelly posted:

I've been breeding sheep like mad to acquire wool. While wool seems more difficult to acquire, dyes last forever now. As sheep pass on their color genes, you only have to dye two sheep and their offspring, and their offspring's offspring, will all be said color.

I have a huge pen of green sheep.

I have a terrible feeling I'm going to build like twenty sheep pens all full of different color sheep.

Are you serious? Can we see your sheep pen?

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
So I'm faced with a dire, but stupid, problem. I'm playing survival for the first time, and I got distracted during the first day so I ended up digging myself into the side of a GORGEOUS rock formation, barricading myself inside and then figuring I would wait until daylight and dig my way out. Tragically.... I'm now lost inside the hill with a ton of planks, dirt, cobblestone and no sense of direction or time. It could be day outside, but I don't know.

Current inventory: 32 wooden planks, 7 wood, 4 sticks, 3 gravel, 35 dirt, 74 cobblestone, a wooden shovel, wooden axe, two and a third wooden pickaxes and two raw porkchops.

I've been digging around, hoping to hit some coal so I could make a torch and see where the gently caress I am, but I haven't hit it yet, and I've pretty much burned through two pickaxes. Am I just going to starve and die, or is there a magical way to get out of this jam (other than starting over)?

[e] While digging, I found a pit with a lava flow... so I can kind of see now!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jesto posted:

It's because no other adult fans of children's cartoons created entire massive subcultures. Fans of Power Puff Girls didn't call themselves Puffies. Fans of Foster's Home didn't call themselves Homies. They didn't go all across the internet and talk about their favorite shows and try to get everyone else to watch them, even in places that had nothing to do with television in general.

The amusing thing about it is that established media fandoms, especially female-dominated ones, watch what's happening with the bronies and get to see everything they did all over again with guys who think they're experiencing all this for the first time. All shipping wars and trying to convince others to join them and the rage over the first big darkfic to land in their fandom...and all the bronies seem to act like this has never happened before.

To put things back on topic, vaguely, I actually got chewed out by an acquaintance of mine last night at Thanksgiving dinner for not vehemently defending the Yogs people (over the Notch thing---I don't know how it ended and I don't care) and referring to all minecraft drama as something like "assholes making GBS threads on other assholes."

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Machinima Man posted:

So I'm faced with a dire, but stupid, problem. I'm playing survival for the first time, and I got distracted during the first day so I ended up digging myself into the side of a GORGEOUS rock formation, barricading myself inside and then figuring I would wait until daylight and dig my way out. Tragically.... I'm now lost inside the hill with a ton of planks, dirt, cobblestone and no sense of direction or time. It could be day outside, but I don't know.

Current inventory: 32 wooden planks, 7 wood, 4 sticks, 3 gravel, 35 dirt, 74 cobblestone, a wooden shovel, wooden axe, two and a third wooden pickaxes and two raw porkchops.

I've been digging around, hoping to hit some coal so I could make a torch and see where the gently caress I am, but I haven't hit it yet, and I've pretty much burned through two pickaxes. Am I just going to starve and die, or is there a magical way to get out of this jam (other than starting over)?

Make a crafting table, make new picks, dig up?

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

From this discussion I get the feeling that, if you know what "brony" means, the Yogscast isn't your problem, the rest of your life is.

To me, it looked like they planned to show off the Technic Pack in an actual playthrough and failed, and they did it with pony skins just as a silly gag to paper over the fact that starting a new map is fairly boring to watch.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Elysiume posted:

Make a crafting table, make new picks, dig up?

Now that I can see (found lava flow), I think I can definitely do that. Pickaxes are no longer an issue.

[e] Nevermind, a green dude just ran up to me and exploded. I died anyway.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

The Triumphant posted:

I think they mainly didn't make fun of being ponies because it made fun of itself so well.

Defintely. It helps that it wasn't the point of the video (at least, not this first one). It was a source of humor, but so was the usual banter, and the best moment was, as usual, emergent from bumbling. Half their party dying to invader night monsters while the other half dies in the ceiling is one of their best moments and a great benchmark to figure out if you like the Yognauts or not.

Also, as far as bronies, insufferable people are insufferable, once they're done with this show, they'll put fans of something else in a bad light. But even if everyone on the Yogs team is a fan of the show, I doubt they're going to be that type of fan and that this is the start of all-pony programming on their Youtube channel.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nevermind, a green dude just ran up to me and exploded.

Now you have truly started the game

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

The Triumphant posted:

"I could use a glass of water before I sleep, 'cause I'm a little horse."

Willie Trombone posted:

To me, it looked like they planned to show off the Technic Pack in an actual playthrough and failed, and they did it with pony skins just as a silly gag to paper over the fact that starting a new map is fairly boring to watch.

I get the feeling like this was the only way Lewis (resident Technic pack apologist) could convince everyone else to join in an SMP technic pack server. The Honeydew skin is pretty adorable though. Honeydew is even a pretty good pony name.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Jelly posted:

As sheep pass on their color genes, you only have to dye two sheep and their offspring, and their offspring's offspring, will all be said color.

What happens if you breed two sheep of different color?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

CaptainCaveman posted:

What happens if you breed two sheep of different color?

It seems to randomly pick one. I once got a colored one when I bred it with a shaved sheep and got a white one another time.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

redmercer posted:

Are you serious? Can we see your sheep pen?
Sure!

See my chicken and pig pen too!

[edited for thumbnails]

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Make a crafting table, then make a furnace. Put a wood or two into the furnace and use wood planks as fuel to make charcoal. Make torches with the charcoal. Make some stone pickaxes with the cobblestone and either dig up and out, or continue to explore til you find some real coal. I'd suggest digging out as you need to get some food.

e: welp

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Jelly posted:

Sure!

See my chicken and pig pen too!

[edited for thumbnails]
Between your texture pack and dyeing your sheep look like shaggy swamp-beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

[e] Nevermind, a green dude just ran up to me and exploded. I died anyway.

It's always magical, that first moment.