Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

LumberingTroll posted:

Seeing through the windows? You mean being able to see the figures? or model LOS?
or do you mean seeing through the entire structure from one side to the other?

Here are a couple more shots of the prototype, illustrating a removable roof, which also could just as easily be the ground for the second floor.

Once I get machine milled parts, the builds will be infinitely cleaner.

I can offer to beta test some of your copies for Malifaux. We have at least 4-8 matches a week.

The problem with storage is a real shame around here and we just have a small cabinent for our stuff (instead of under the table). It can store a few towers and other various terrains, but it's boring to have 1 game set in a the woods and 1 game set in a city.

Malifaux plays on a 3ft x 3ft board and terrain is very welcome especially, at least in the case of Malifaux, indoors. There are entire scenarios that we never use because it would not make sense to set a fight in the middle of the forest when it's supposed to be in a bar.

One company came out and met demand but it has problems.

http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?view=catalog&system_id=2

They are called Terraclips and it is a modular terrain system. You can move inside walls and outside very easily since they are built to size (instead of small towers that are actually several stories high). It also has small, but very great features such as tabs on ramps to keep figurines in place as they move up.

The following problems are these.

First, it takes a long time to set up the terrain. You need to buy connectors to connect the streets, tiles, and roofs. Terraclips does something right and I hope you put into your system and that is to make the roof easily removable and put on again (securely!).

Second, some of the connectors are very bendy which I think your plastic fits quite well to solve that.

I'll have some more feedback, but let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Going back to black primer after using white so much lately = basically the worst thing, gently caress.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I bought some Reaper minis for an upcoming game. They have a ton of super bent parts and I'm trying to unbend them but I can hear the metal creaking. How do I bend these back into shape without ripping them apart?

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
Finally getting around to painting a bit after my life going all pear-shaped earlier this year. I've got some Khador figures that I've been dicking around with in preparation for the Eldar my friends talked me into getting with Christmas cash this year (40K is approximately ∞ times more popular here than Warmahordes), and I had a few questions:

1) Close inspection reveals that my paint is winding up spotty on the mini. Is this due to over-thinning, or something else?

2) To other Khador players: How in the gently caress do I paint the faces on these sons of bitches:

The mini comes as a solid piece, so I can't paint before assembly. So is there some sort of super-secret trick, or is it basically just "break out the 000 brush and be really careful"?

Also, I think I have officially reached a state of love-hate with white primer. It makes my colors pop, but it puts my many, many mistakes on display for the world. It only hurts me because it cares, right?

Right?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Paint the face first.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The only thing you can do with tight spaces like that is start painting at the more remote parts, and then work your way outside. If you do the face first, but get sloppy and some paint gets on his visor and gun, it's no problem if you haven't painted those areas yet.

Since you already painted everything, yeah, just break out the 000. And keep some clean water handy to thin and wipe away misapplied paint before it dries.

edit: beaten

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
While I love that you guys assume my paint job is that awesome, that's the picture of the model from the Privateer Press website. I know to paint the face first, I just wondered if there was some kind of awesome trick to getting good coverage in there, or if it's just a steady hand and practice.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
So once again I am looking for a ~chaos~ (slaanesh w/o tits) version of the vindicare assassin.

Here is the model that I am currently using as a place holder:

$Free *is this good enough if I add spikes and chaos paint?*

Here is "Khador Widowmaker Marksman," a cool warmachine sniper dude:

$7.49
*no idea how big this is :confused:*

This is a cheap AT-43 "Red Blok Captain Vrachov," might looks cool if I strap a sniper rifle to his back and do a head swap:

$2.80

And here is what I thought looked best the last time I looked:

$10.50 *Would use the left model, the mask screams chaos*

I still feel like last choice is the best, sadly it also costs the most. I do eventually want to enter my army into armies on parade so I assume option two/three would disqualify me...

Interested in your thoughts.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Here's my latest unit.

The first of my Veteran squads for the Cadian 401st

Hooray! Almost got 1000pts painted.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Here is "Khador Widowmaker Marksman," a cool warmachine sniper dude:

$7.49

Here he is, half-coated with a lovely paint job and next to a Space Marine:

Hermetic fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 26, 2011

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Thx for that!

If I were to use that mini I would probably use this head instead, cant be chaos unless you look ornery:

Still a bit worried that I would not be able to have the mini in my army in case I were to enter "Armies on Parade" whenever that will be.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Odd question: I just got a couple of the Maelstrom Banelegions minis (in general, very good quality, heartily recommend) but a couple of the bits need a little gap-filling. However, they are bits that I'd like to paint first, and glue on afterwards - is there a trick to filling the gaps, painting them, then sticking them on? It seems like the gaps really want filling before painting, but in this case, I want to do it afterwards...

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

thespaceinvader posted:

Odd question: I just got a couple of the Maelstrom Banelegions minis (in general, very good quality, heartily recommend) but a couple of the bits need a little gap-filling. However, they are bits that I'd like to paint first, and glue on afterwards - is there a trick to filling the gaps, painting them, then sticking them on? It seems like the gaps really want filling before painting, but in this case, I want to do it afterwards...

Tabletop: just put that poo poo together, gapfill, then paint, nobody on earth will notice unless they're staring at them under a magnifying glass.

Competition/Display: Paint separately, assemble, fill your gaps, use brush-on primer or gesso over the filler area, finish your paint job.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Thought brush-on primer would probably be the trick I was missing. Will obtain some.

Thanks for the hint =)

postman
Jun 16, 2009

EVIR Gibson posted:

The problem with storage is a real shame around here and we just have a small cabinent for our stuff (instead of under the table).

This is a great point. LumberingTroll and I hadn't really talked about the storage capacity issues of the consumer. Now that I think about it we also have this problem at our local shop. Tons of terrain stuffed where ever it can fit.

Once we have a better process down and get the bugs ironed out of the prototypes I don't see any reason why we can't offer buildings that can be torn down into wall/floor panels for storage, something less permanent that doesn't require glue (or cheap flimsy clips). I'll add that to the list.

postman
Jun 16, 2009

double post

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

So once again I am looking for a ~chaos~ (slaanesh w/o tits) version of the vindicare assassin.

This is a cheap AT-43 "Red Blok Captain Vrachov," might looks cool if I strap a sniper rifle to his back and do a head swap:

$2.80

Interested in your thoughts.

I picked up this guy to use for Infinity, but I would say he fits GWs 'heroic' scale much better. If you like the model pick it up. It is plastic and you can disassemble him by hand, removing his head arms and hip pouches with ease; and his torso pivots on his hips, so he is fairly ideal for modding.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

postman posted:

Once we have a better process down and get the bugs ironed out of the prototypes I don't see any reason why we can't offer buildings that can be torn down into wall/floor panels for storage, something less permanent that doesn't require glue (or cheap flimsy clips). I'll add that to the list.

Though possible it will require some more engineering, and will have an impact on the visuals of the terrain. Costs would most likely increase as well. I will see what I can do.

The first prototype is using a 9x9 base, I'm brainstorming a set that uses 4x4 so that you can easily scale up and down to the size you need/want.

The problem with being able to tear down is that it would need some kind of clip, or temp fastener. However, if planned correctly we could do some pretty neat things with magnets... hmm...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I hate to point you to Terraclips, but this kind of thing has been done before.

Not to say you shouldn't do it too, but you should probably at least have a gander at the competition.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Ive seen it, and I think its ugly as sin. I own quite a few WWG products actually.

Its also not the same as what Postman and I are doing.
They use Cardstock, 110lb with textures printed on them and laminated, then use the clips to assemble the scene.

What we are doing is full Styrene / Expanded PVC plastic terrain kits, that are meant to be assembled and painted.
Similar, but different.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 26, 2011

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If your CNC mill is 3-axis, you could cut out a lot of your time with manufacturing and the end user's time with final assembly if you used something like 2mm or 3mm foamed PVC as your material and have the router do all of the detail work instead of having separate lentils/sills/trim pieces.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Yeah this is something Im considering as well, I was really thinking just using 1/4in(6.35mm) or even 1/2in (12.7mm) in Foamed PVC and then each wall would just be a single piece. would make assembly and even mill time much shorter.

edit: the more I think about it, the more this seems to be the best solution, it would be much easier to put 4 walls on a base, than 4 walls, 4 facades and so on...
Edit 2: the downside is that in the original plan the facades act as the base for the upper floor, and hold it in place. I'll have to come up with something else, I want to make sure the upper floors "lock" into place.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 26, 2011

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It should also make your operating costs lower since foamed PVC is a hell of a lot cheaper than styrene, acrylic or ABS.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Silhouette posted:

If your CNC mill is 3-axis, you could cut out a lot of your time with manufacturing and the end user's time with final assembly if you used something like 2mm or 3mm foamed PVC as your material and have the router do all of the detail work instead of having separate lentils/sills/trim pieces.

Wouldn't you lose the ability to spraypaint something if you went like this? The interior foam still reacts to accelerants, doesn't it?

I really ought to know this by now. :doh:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

'Foamed' just means that the PVC itself is expanded by air, but it's still solid like any other thermoplastic. Foamed PVC is also commonly known by the brand name Sintra, so you could probably google it and find out more technical information if you wanted.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
Another question...someone (I think it was Sushi) mentioned original equipment manufacturers for Iwata and Paasche. A google search has proved fruitless, so I was wondering where do I find these OEM companies?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Image of the next set of prototypes im working on, these are made of 1/4inch (6.35mm) Expanded Foam PVC,

Each wall is 5 3/4 x 3 inches long so if you use one as an end cap, the width of the one it connects to makes it an even 6 inches, like so...

I really like the effect of the exterior detail being engraved into the wall.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Hermetic posted:

Another question...someone (I think it was Sushi) mentioned original equipment manufacturers for Iwata and Paasche. A google search has proved fruitless, so I was wondering where do I find these OEM companies?

I was talking about the companies that GW goes to to get their equipment made a bit ago; I have no idea if Iwata or Paasche have OEMs they work with, but I am willing to bet that Paasche at least makes all their own stuff.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

LumberingTroll posted:

Image of the next set of prototypes im working on, these are made of 1/4inch (6.35mm) Expanded Foam PVC,

Each wall is 5 3/4 x 3 inches long so if you use one as an end cap, the width of the one it connects to makes it an even 6 inches, like so...

Is it possible to flip it over and cut slots into the back? Then just make a sheet of tabs so that way customers can glue them together themselves, but only if they need to. Well, that's my solution anyways. :v:
EDIT: To clarify, I mean two grooves on the top of each wall, so that the tabs once glued in place will keep the next floor secure.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Image Dump tiiiiiiime

I love completin' oaths!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Goddamn those are the best Dark Eldar I have ever seen. The colours feel like a throw back to Rogue Trader, but more awesome.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Sole.Sushi posted:

Is it possible to flip it over and cut slots into the back? Then just make a sheet of tabs so that way customers can glue them together themselves, but only if they need to. Well, that's my solution anyways. :v:
EDIT: To clarify, I mean two grooves on the top of each wall, so that the tabs once glued in place will keep the next floor secure.

Those images you quoted are from my second prototype, and are a single piece, each side any way. its 1/4 inch PVC and the detail would be engraved into the front using a CNC Router.

We have come up with an idea using magnets, that will allow each floor to hold on to the one above/below it. This idea should have very minimal impact on the cost of the item, will just require a little hand work for each one, but should prove to be effective.

In production news we ~might~ be up and running sooner than we anticipated! More details will follow as we finalize them.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm still working on my miniatures to get them awesome, damnit. I still suck at painting.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
It's looking a lot better. Practice is the only thing that'll make you better, so if you think you suck, just keep painting more.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fearless posted:

Goddamn those are the best Dark Eldar I have ever seen. The colours feel like a throw back to Rogue Trader, but more awesome.

"Wizard Van" Dark Eldar.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Vague as poo poo question, but how do I paint moderately well yet quickly? You guys have any particular tips other than practice/devlan mud/adderall?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Batches, prime a colour that is easy to paint over and block in all the big areas first.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

LumberingTroll posted:

The one thing I really don't like about this at the moment, and it is a criticism I would also make of similar products like Micro Arts Studio's HDF Infinity building kit, is that all the cuts into the surface are at 90 degrees which looks pretty flat and uninteresting. I have no idea how sophisticated the control software you are using is, but if you can bevel most of your edges by 1/10" or so it will make things look a lot better instantly.

Also I think the earlier prototypes where the ribs between the window/door panels jutted out instead of being recessed made more architectural sense, I liked that better. As well as that, I'm guessing some panel lines are planned but not being done on these simple prototypes.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Shallow posted:

The one thing I really don't like about this at the moment, and it is a criticism I would also make of similar products like Micro Arts Studio's HDF Infinity building kit, is that all the cuts into the surface are at 90 degrees which looks pretty flat and uninteresting. I have no idea how sophisticated the control software you are using is, but if you can bevel most of your edges by 1/10" or so it will make things look a lot better instantly.

Also I think the earlier prototypes where the ribs between the window/door panels jutted out instead of being recessed made more architectural sense, I liked that better. As well as that, I'm guessing some panel lines are planned but not being done on these simple prototypes.

Thanks for the feedback, I was actually thinking about this as I was trying to fall asleep last night, I am able to do all kinds of things, and I will be working on some more designs today that I think you will like better. I will post some more screens in a couple hours when I have some stuff ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

LumberingTroll posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I was actually thinking about this as I was trying to fall asleep last night, I am able to do all kinds of things, and I will be working on some more designs today that I think you will like better. I will post some more screens in a couple hours when I have some stuff ready.

Sounds cool. If I had the tools I would make similar multi-part houses, but 28mm Japanese houses instead. People keep asking since I make 6mm houses, but 28mm houses in resin is just way too expensive for me to make.

• Locked thread