Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PeterWeller posted:

While this is certainly true, it doesn't necessarily mean people are more mobile today than they were in the 30s. That should seem self-evident, but perhaps it's not. We need to consider the relative costs of taking a train in the 30s and taking a bus today. We should also consider that hitchhiking and hobo riding were more common and socially acceptable at the time. Finally, the rural poor of the Great Depression were probably better equipped, and the nature of the country was probably more conducive to cross country travel.

They were not more mobile in 1930, actually. Also railroad workers were quite violent towards hobo riding!

And hitchhiking across America would be quite hard back then, it was not uncommon that if you were going to drive cross country you might only make 40 to 60 miles a day, thanks to lack of good roads. This also goes against your assertion that the nature of the country was more conducive to cross country travel.

And as far as prices... in 1930 a ticket from New York City to Chicago might cost $19. You know what that is, inflation adjusted? $257.60 You know what it costs to Greyhound that? $132

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That's a ludicrous assertion I'd like to see you support.

It probably is ludicrous, and I should have said "may have" instead of "probably", but I'll explain my thinking nonetheless. The rural poor of the 1930s surely spent a lot more time doing things like hunting, camping, and preparing their own food (I mean that in the sense of taking something you killed and turning it into cookable meat), and the country was a lot less populous and developed, leading to a lot less land to get kicked off while trying to pass the night.

Now that I think about it further, I realize I was romanticizing.

quote:

They were not more mobile in 1930, actually. Also railroad workers were quite violent towards hobo riding!

And hitchhiking across America would be quite hard back then, it was not uncommon that if you were going to drive cross country you might only make 40 to 60 miles a day, thanks to lack of good roads. This also goes against your assertion that the nature of the country was more conducive to cross country travel.

And as far as prices... in 1930 a ticket from New York City to Chicago might cost $19. You know what that is, inflation adjusted? $257.60 You know what it costs to Greyhound that? $132

Thanks. I didn't mean to say you were wrong. I really just wanted to point out that the rail network v bus network argument wasn't the only thing to consider.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah, it is a period that tend sto get romanticized.

Here's something to consider:
"In 1920 average Americans used autos 50 miles per year for intercity travel, while they used trains 450 miles per year. Just ten years later the average American drove 1,691 miles per year in intercity travel but rode only 219 miles per year on the train."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Interesting. Where's that from, might I ask? I should break my romantic notions regarding that era.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PeterWeller posted:

Interesting. Where's that from, might I ask? I should break my romantic notions regarding that era.

http://www.narprail.org/cms/index.php/resources/more/railroad_history/

Cars had started getting really popular in the 1920s. Railroad passenger traffic consequently went down. Passenger traffic going down led to it becoming increasingly unprofitable, and by 1930 in fact railroads as a whole were running deficits on passenger travel. This is why, by the 1960s, most passenger rail service was dead, and even today Amtrak doesn't run that much service, it having taken over practically all remaining non-commuter passenger services in 1971.

Freight service was and is vastly more profitable for American railroads than passengers ever were. America actually uses freight by rail much more than Europe does, in raw stuff moved and in proportion - roughly 40% of freight shipment in US is by train, roughly 9% in Europe is.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
We must stop the barbaric practice of halal Islamic Slaughter!

quote:

Happy Halal Thanksgiving
By Pamela Geller

Did you know that the turkey you're going to enjoy on Thanksgiving Day this Thursday is probably halal? If it's a Butterball turkey, then it certainly is -- whether you like it or not.

In my book Stop the Islamization of America: A Practical Guide to the Resistance, I report at length on the meat industry's halal scandal: its established practice of not separating halal meat from non-halal meat, and not labeling halal meat as such. And back in October 2010, I reported more little-noted but explosive new revelations: that much of the meat in Europe and the United States is being processed as halal without the knowledge of the non-Muslim consumers who buy it.

I discovered that only two plants in the U.S. that perform halal slaughter keep the halal meat separated from the non-halal meat, and they only do so because plant managers thought it was right to do so. At other meat-packing plants, animals are slaughtered following halal requirements, but then only a small bit of the meat is actually labeled halal.

Now here is yet more poisonous fruit of that scandal.

A citizen activist and reader of my website AtlasShrugs.com wrote to Butterball, one of the most popular producers of Thanksgiving turkeys in the United States, asking them if their turkeys were halal. Wendy Howze, a Butterball Consumer Response Representative, responded: "Our whole turkeys are certified halal."

In a little-known strike against freedom, yet again, we are being forced into consuming meat slaughtered by means of a torturous method: Islamic slaughter.

Halal slaughter involves cutting the trachea, the esophagus, and the jugular vein, and letting the blood drain out while saying "Bismillah allahu akbar" -- in the name of Allah the greatest. Many people refuse to eat it on religious grounds. Many Christians, Hindus or Sikhs and Jews find it offensive to eat meat slaughtered according to Islamic ritual (although observant Jews are less likely to be exposed to such meat, because they eat kosher).

Others object because of the cruelty to animals that halal slaughter necessitates. Where are the PETA clowns and the ridiculous celebs who pose naked on giant billboards for PETA and "animal rights"? They would rather see people die of cancer or AIDS than see animals used in drug testing, but torturous and painful Islamic slaughter is OK.

Still others refuse to do so on principle: why should we be forced to conform to Islamic norms? It's Islamic supremacism on the march, yet again.

Non-Muslims in America and Europe don't deserve to have halal turkey forced upon them in this way, without their knowledge or consent. So this Thanksgiving, fight for your freedom. Find a non-halal, non-Butterball turkey to celebrate Thanksgiving this Thursday. And write to Butterball and request, politely but firmly, that they stop selling only halal turkeys, and make non-halal turkeys available to Americans who still value our freedoms.

Stephanie Styons at Butterball Corporate sstyons@merrellgroup.com is the contact for those who want to let the company know their feelings about stealth halal turkeys. Also here is the Butterball website for plant locations, which lists whole turkeys as being produced at their North Carolina and Arkansas plants.

Across this great country, on Thanksgiving tables nationwide, infidel Americans are unwittingly going to be serving halal turkeys to their families this Thursday. Turkeys that are halal certified -- who wants that, especially on a day on which we are giving thanks to G-d for our freedom? I wouldn't knowingly buy a halal turkey -- would you? Halal turkey, slaughtered according to the rules of Islamic law, is just the opposite of what Thanksgiving represents: freedom and inclusiveness, neither of which are allowed for under that same Islamic law.

The same Islamic law that mandates that animals be cruelly slaughtered according to halal requirements also teaches hatred of and warfare against unbelievers, the oppression of women, the extinguishing of free speech, and much more that is inimical to our freedom. Don't support it on this celebration of freedom. Join our Facebook group, 'Boycott Butterball'.
Don't buy a Butterball turkey for Thanksgiving.
Pamela Geller is the publisher of AtlasShrugs.com and the author of the WND Books title Stop the Islamization of America: A Practical Guide to the Resistance.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/11/happy_halal_thanksgiving.html#ixzz1eYKR7Buy

Jesus Christ. You can't make this poo poo up. On the upside, however, the early comments reacting to this story are surprisingly sane. Then, however, we get into some epic wignut debates:

quote:

Freedomatheart 11/21/2011 05:03 PM
You're all missing the point. It's not that it's muslim "suitable" meat. It's that it was demanded, coerced into to being muslim suitable. There are kosher foods, yes, but never was it expected for non-jews to comply to Jewish dietary laws where meat is concerned. Jews have been doing their own slaughtering and preparation of meat, without ever demanding that everybody else eat it. That's the point. Everybody is bending over backward for the muslims and for what? They hate us. They want us dead or submissive. They want everything their way. It's not just this one thing, it's every little thing. Each day they tack on more and more demands. Each day we give in more and more. Each day they encroach more and more into our freedoms. When do we draw the line? When does it stop? When do they comply with our faiths, our culture, our country? Enough already!

quote:

Rudy 11/21/2011 08:02 PM in reply to Freedomatheart
This is an interesting fact, and I agree we should be on our guard against creeping Islamization. But I am a lot more worried about a President attempting to transform us into a communist system. Nothing else matters on comparison. I have the same thought when I look at the daily leftist media and see the latest 'crisis' detailed. This man Obama is in the process of gutting out country, and all the other headlines are a distraction.

So whats the real challenge facing America? Halal Buterball Turkeys or a Commie President? Please don't make us choose!

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
How did the author of that article do so much digging into butterball and what halal means and not learn that the method of killing the animal is pretty much exactly the same for jews?

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
A local county commission meeting was asked not to pray before their meetings by an atheist group. Incoming awful letter to the editor dump

quote:

Having read the Herald’s Nov. 15 article “Commissioner’s asked to halt prayers,” I am once again struck by the lack of basic reading comprehension skills among those who assault our God-given and constitutionally secured rights and freedoms.

First of all, there is no “constitutional principle of separation of church and state.” What there is, is this verbiage in the First Amendment: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ...”

Question: When prayer is offered at the start of a county commission meeting, has the Congress of the United States thereby made a law concerning the establishing of religion? I think not.

But the educational assault on Americans has been so thoroughgoing that a majority of them now believe that the oft-cited “separation” language is actually in the Constitution. It most assuredly is not.

Secondly, it is clear from the historical record that the Framers had no intention of abolishing prayer and other religious expression from public life.

As just one example among many, the turning point in the hopelessly deadlocked Constitutional Convention came when the aged Ben Franklin stood up and urged that the delegates begin each session in prayer, even quoting Psalm 127:1 in the process (“Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it.”).

In other words, it was public prayer that helped birth the very Constitution with which these folks now attempt to support their effort to eliminate ... that’s right, public prayer.

I am heartened by the statements made by the county attorney and the chief deputy county attorney in that they seem not to be buying what the Freedom From Religion Foundation is selling.

Jim Nagle

Sarasota

quote:

A Nov. 15 Herald headline says “Commissioners asked to halt prayers.”

Why do you people always stick your face out where it doesn’t belong? Yes, there are over 17,000 of you, but there are over billions of us!

You don’t want us to have prayers in schools or government meetings because it breaks “your” rights. You don’t want us to have our religious displays at Christmastime.

Soon, you will be going door to door telling us how to live. You don’t want us to have our religions. Well, we don’t want you.

We aren’t going to change and we will continue to have prayer when and where we want. We have and will always have our beliefs and you can’t stop us.

So stop trying to change us, it won’t work. If you don’t like the United States of America, go somewhere else.

We do and we will survive. We will pray, pray and pray, maybe even for your soul.

Joan Ammeraal

Palmetto

quote:

Manatee County commissioners, stand your ground! Don’t let Freedom From Religion Foundation dictate to you.

What better way than to start each session with prayer? God is still in the business of listening and all our government leaders need guidance and direction.

Our country is slowly succumbing to non-believing “free thinkers,” atheists, agnostics and skeptics. This is shameful.

When will they forbid saying grace before one’s food in a restaurant? Why should a few non-believers control those in leadership in Manatee County and the rest of the governing body in our country?

Many are familiar with the Scripture 2 Chronicles 7:14. Let’s all read it again. God is still in control of all things.

Vern and Betty Farnham

Parrish

I WILL NOT LET THE RIGHTS OF THE MINORITY SUPERCEDE THE INTERESTS OF THE MAJORITY

quote:

Forty years ago we let the vocal minority stop prayer in our schools. The silent majority, as we became known, did not speak up. I believe we never saw that coming; who would have thought it possible in the 1960s?

Now, we have a group of 17,000 members telling us to stop saying a prayer before Manatee County Commission meetings? Tell me how 17,000 people can possibly have that much power!

Well, they cannot succeed if we speak up now. There are so many more Christians than there are Freedom from Religion Foundation members. They might be allowed to voice their opinion, but the believers in this world have the majority and the ability to speak up now.

Prayer is necessary, appropriate and unifying. This country needs prayer in every place possible and certainly in our county commission meetings! Keep the prayer on the agenda!

Contact Manatee County commissioners -- do it now!

Barbara Jahnke

Bradenton

Posting this one just for ACLU (Anti Christian Lawyers Union) and because apparently when you stop praying, you start acting violently or something

quote:

I read in the Bradenton Herald that atheists are trying to bully county commissioners into believing the lie that the Constitution prohibits their prayer at the beginning of their meetings.

All 50 states have a constitution that begins with a preamble that gives credence to God and requests His blessing, which constitutes a prayer in reality. If you don’t believe that, go to Google and check it out!

Sessions of Congress always begin with a prayer and have since the beginning of our nation. Our Declaration of Independence gives credence to God on five occasions.

Incidentally, have you noticed that ever since the ACLU (The Anti Christian Lawyers Union) has had successes in banning Christianity from schools and the public places that pray, the 10 Commandments have been replaced by policemen to control public violence?

Are atheists afraid that prayers might bring the condemnation of God on them for their unbelief? How else could prayer hurt them?

James M. McLane

Bradenton
beep boop i am a constitutional robot

quote:

For me this is important! Manatee County commissioners better not stop prayer before starting meetings. Having prayer before a meeting is constitutional and I challenge anyone who thinks it is unconstitutional.

Nowhere in the Constitution is there a phrase or reference that says “separation of church and state.” This is false and the liberals like to use it as if it is gospel. Please challenge me and read it to me.

It is time for commissioners to step up and protect the rights of the majority on this issue and not those of a small minority that does not know what they are talking about.

If someone does not like our Christian principles, well, they don’t have to attend the meetings.

Mike McLeod

Palmetto

Also here's a letter from loving 4 days ago about a July article. Apparently we're still fighting the Japanese or something. NO MOSQUES IN PEARL HARBOR :911:

quote:

I read with great interest a July 20 news article and have been seething ever since. United States organizers (who are they?) hosted an ancient Japanese tea ceremony on the memorial of the USS Arizona and the grave site of its sailors.

Why party on our memorial that symbolizes the beginning of World War II?

Why not have the ceremony on its sister ship, the USS Missouri, which symbolizes the end of World War II by Japan surrendering to the Allied forces?

Both battleships are prominent in Pearl Harbor.

Joan Jessel

Bradenton

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Branis posted:

How did the author of that article do so much digging into butterball and what halal means and not learn that the method of killing the animal is pretty much exactly the same for jews?

Pam Gellar is a loving monster and a total loving hypocrite.

Halal slaughter is absolutely identical to Kosher slaughter, which is why Muslims will eat Kosher food when Halal food isn't available. The only difference is the prayer said over the meat, which is why it is absolutely hypocritical for Gellar to cite animal cruelty as a criticism against Halal food.

This is an especially stinging indictment of Gellar when you consider that she is Jewish. I'm not sure what denomination of Judaism she adheres to, so I'm unsure whether she keeps strictly Kosher or not, but she's clearly not criticizing Kosher slaughter in this editorial, which is the height of hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty.

ts12 posted:

Also here's a letter from loving 4 days ago about a July article. Apparently we're still fighting the Japanese or something. NO MOSQUES IN PEARL HARBOR :911:

Jesus, that's dumb. Japanese tea ceremonies are loving awesome.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

ts12 posted:

NO MOSQUES IN PEARL HARBOR :911:

My favorite part of that is them describing the tea ceremony as some kind of raucous party

Tea ceremonies are one of the most boring loving things in the world where an old woman robotically spends like 40 minutes making a cup of tea and you even have to rotate the cup in your hand a certain way or everyone thinks you're a dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYch_ddxPM

It's also super creepo misogynistic in a "SERVE US, WOMEN" way

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

PeterWeller posted:

I know what an unreliable narrator is. Baudolino is an unreliable narrator. Milton's bard is an unreliable narrator. The narrator of 300 may or may not be; the text doesn't provide any evidence to question his version of either story, nor is it evidence of "unmistakable propagandizing". Telling an inspiring and entertaining story does not automatically equal propaganda.

I guess everyone's kind of moved on from this topic but Leonidas literally tells the narrator to lie about what happened. There's also the part about how the narrator's not present for the final stand and just plain makes poo poo up about how Leonidas totally threw a spear at Xerxes and everyone died heroically in badass ways.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

peer posted:

I guess everyone's kind of moved on from this topic but Leonidas literally tells the narrator to lie about what happened. There's also the part about how the narrator's not present for the final stand and just plain makes poo poo up about how Leonidas totally threw a spear at Xerxes and everyone died heroically in badass ways.

In most mainstream horror movies the "bad" or irresponsible people tend to die and the morally pure individual tends to live. In most action movies there tends to be some vague objective related to "peace" or "justice" and there's typically some vague acknowledgement that violence is problematic. That doesn't change the fact that 99% of the screen times on these movies are actually devoted to the opposite message: i.e. that violence and mayhem are aesthetically appealing and viscerally exciting to watch. This is why I tend to spend less time examining a movies overt "message" - which is usually very superficial in a visual medium like film - and tend to focus more on what elements of the movie get the most camera time and on how various shots are framed and how individuals are characterized.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

peer posted:

Okay, so we have reason to mistrust the ending of his story, but don't you see the bigger problem this causes for the claim that the narrator is propagandizing throughout the entire movie? You're using a scene from the narrative to prove that it's a false narrative. If the story of the Hot Gates is a fiction constructed for propaganda purposes, why does the narrator tell us it's a fiction? Indeed, the inclusion of that scene would indicate that what we're watching is the real version of the story the narrator is telling the assembled Greeks. The narrator's tacit admission of a false ending to his story actually supports the veracity of the rest of his story.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
Anpther winnder from shithead Barrett

quote:

Barrett: Occupy slackers want others to repay their student loans

Any lingering hope that the Occupy Wall Street set isn't infested with sloths and slackers can now be pitched without ceremony into the nearest Cuisinart.

Amid OWS' hot denials that it is a magnet for the shiftless, the entitled and the infantilized, it has begun urging a mass heist against taxpayers.

Here is the plan, announced in Manhattan's Zuccotti Park by a branch of OWS with the brazenly lackluster title "Occupy Student Debt":

People who borrowed money to attend college will sign a pledge vowing not to repay their debt. When 1 million people have pledged thus, they will put a fiscal gun to the heads of the American people and, as casually as they might tweet about their choice of granola, pull the trigger: They'll stop paying on their loans.

The precise effect of this action is impossible to know, but it could be devastating. The federal government is responsible for 85 percent of student loans, and student debt is in the neighborhood of $1 trillion. That's more than the American people owe on credit cards.

A flood of deadbeats suddenly overwhelming the system to the point that it cannot effectively collect on student loans would shift at least part of that bill onto taxpayers.

"The theory behind the campaign is that if 1 million students refuse to pay, they would face minimal consequences due to safety in numbers," Inside Higher Ed reports.

But that's the least of it. How many other Americans would understandably conclude that if graduates don't have to repay loans squandered on five or six years of advanced marmalade studies, there's no reason why they should pay off their mortgages, their car loans or that colorful pantsuit from Sears?

Hard as it is to fathom, it's doubtful there are enough bureaucrats even at the Department of Education and the IRS to track down a million student loan-chucking loafers plus millions more who may be inspired to dump sundry other financial obligations.

So we arrive again at the axis of the self-absorbed OWS movement: If they want something, and they can muster the sheer mob force to take it, they will. To heck with what it does to anybody else.

Incapable of, and uninterested in, gaining the intellectual traction or emotional maturity to pull out of the perpetual mosh pit they mistake for reality, they demand a life unencumbered by grown-up responsibilities -- and they will have it, even if it means embracing the tactics of the bailed-out Wall Street miscreants they denounce.

The belief by at least some portion of the Occupy movement that repayment of their loans is the duty of plumbers, waitresses and janitors who never signed up for that borrowing is merely the latest manifestation of that. It merits their dismissal to the sparsely populated ideological netherworld of Michael Moore and Newsweek.

If you've lost Chris Matthews ...

Speaking of sparsely populated netherworlds, I saw a link to a vigorous denunciation of the president by -- wait for it -- Chris Matthews of MSNBC!

"What are we trying to do in this administration?" Matthews ponders in palpable despair. "Why does he want a second term? Would he tell us? What's he going to do in his second term? More of this? Is this it? Is this as good as it gets? Where are we going? Are we going to do something in his second term? He has yet to tell us. He has not said one thing about what he would do in a second term. He never tells us what he's going to do with reforming our health care systems, Medicare, Medicaid. How he's going to reform Social Security. Is he going to deal with long-term debt? How? Is he going to reform the tax system? How?"

All fine questions, Friar Matthews. So far, Obama's plan is:

* Raise taxes on the rich.

* Toss a few hundred billion more smackers down the stimulus rat hole.

That's it. That's the plan. That's the grand design for economic turnaround.

Small wonder the president is now hemorrhaging the support of even the Chris Matthewses of the world.

Reach Steve Barrett at 423-757-6329 or sbarrett@timesfreepress.com.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
This one is from Tabatha Southey, from the Globe and Mail (Canada).

By way of some background, a reference case (where a question of law is put to a judge without there being underlying facts at issue) was recently heard in Canada on polygamy. A judge ruled that laws prohibiting polygamy are constitutional.

Included in his decision was a consideration of various evidence that polygamy is associated with social harms, particularly afflicting women. In light of that, he found, at paragraph 1335 "Having found a reasoned apprehension that polygamy is associated with numerous harms, it follows that criminalizing the practice is one way of limiting those harms."

This prompted Ms. Southey's opinion piece, published November 25, 2011:

quote:

A list of things that have been decried as threats to monogamous marriage: contraceptives, gay marriage, sex education, out-of-wedlock cohabitation, lewd dancing to rock 'n' roll, women in the work force, legal alcohol, naughty films, no-fault divorce and educating women.

Yet even though all these things came to pass – and several of them would be a fair trade for monogamous marriage – the institution is still here. Possibly monogamous marriage isn't the fragile flower it's made out to be.

But Parliament's chivalrousness toward it, as reaffirmed by Chief Justice Bauman's ruling, makes me nervous anyway.

It assigns an inherent moral value to a particular kind of union over other kinds of relationships entered into by consenting adults, and I hate that. What's more, upholding a law that violates our Charter right to religious freedom in the name of protecting women and children from trafficking, rape, abuse and forced marriage is just faulty logic: These are already crimes.

Claiming they're more common in polygamous communities is suspect. Chief Justice Bauman specifically interprets the law as not applying to polyamorous relationships, so clearly the number of sex partners a parent has is not in itself construed to be the problem. Might it not be more accurate, then, to say these crimes are more prevalent in, say, religious cults – whatever their matrimonial arrangements?

Criminalizing a situation in which violations are sometimes committed is generally frowned upon: People often drive drunk, but few propose banning cars.

Chief Justice Bauman again confuses correlation with causation by basing his ruling partly on the fact that women in polygamous relationships “have more children, are more likely to die in childbirth and live shorter lives than their monogamous counterparts.” While this is probably true, it probably stems less from the fact that these women share one husband (a circumstance that might easily lead to women having less sex and fewer babies) than the fact that many women in polygamous relationships belong to religious sects that forbid contraception and whose doctrine dictates that women should bear lots of children.

Were the judge to extend his compassion for women further, we would have to look at Catholic and other religious teachings that have similar outcomes. Statistically, women who are married to one man are likelier to have more children and die in childbirth than women who aren't married at all, so we might as well conclude that marriage itself damages women's health.

This ruling demonstrates the tendency to compare only the best monogamous relationships against only the worst polygamous relationships. I've seen hard-core feminists get 18th-century sentimental over monogamous marriage when polygamy is mentioned. They even stop saying “patriarchal,” and require resuscitation.

But objectively I can't find any argument against polygamy that doesn't work equally well against monogamous marriage, excepting those about Western tradition – which are the same ones made against same-sex marriage, and not dissimilar to those made against women's emancipation.

As with anti-drug and anti-prostitution laws, I don't imagine there's a huge pent-up demand for polygamy that Section 293 of the Criminal Code has been keeping at bay. What about the untold masses of immigrants rumoured to be living out The Butterfly That Stamped in a suburb near you? In fact, of the top five countries whose citizens gained permanent resident status in Canada in 2010, only India permits polygamous marriages – in a highly restricted form, to a minority Muslim population, the vast majority of whom, worldwide, are not polygamous.

This ruling implies that if the anti-polygamy law vanishes, lots of us are going to run out and get more spouses. Surely, if monogamy – which Chief Justice Bauman calls an “institution” on par with the values of “social justice and equality” – has such a tenuous grasp on us, it's not as fundamental to Western civilization as he claims. There goes a pillar of his reasoning.

Monogamy isn't threatened by a small sect in British Columbia, and enshrining it won't alter the members' religious beliefs. But this ruling should concern all those perfectly nice Canadians for whom monogamy is no more an institution than is the missionary position.

Compare the opinion written by Justice Bauman to the opinion piece by Ms. Southey.

Ms. Southey:
    claims the judge said monogamous marriage is threatened by polygamy (he didn't);
    spits out a specious analogy about banning cars to stop drunk driving;
    claims the judge confused correleation with causation (he used correlative data as evidence, but obviously understood the difference between correlation and causation);
    makes claims damage to women's health because of traditional marriage, without a shred of evidence in support;
    says the ruling compares only the best monogomous marriage to polygamy (it doesn't);
    takes a shot at feminists, out of left field;
    tears down a strawman argument about "everyone will do it without a law", and claims it is a pillar of the judge's reasoning (can't find a hint of it in the decision);

Obviously I detest this opinion piece. It uses many hackneyed debate tactics, the most offensive of which is inserting arguments into a judge's reasons that simply aren't there, so that she can tear down those points without addressing the reasoning actually employed.

Anyone who reads this piece without actually referring to the (very lengthy) underlying decision will be seriously misled.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Sometimes the letters to the editor in the local paper sound like they came Pawnee Indiana.

quote:

Alas and alack! Steve Berg implies that "Minneapolis/St. Paul" has blended into "Minnesota" and become invisible compared to Seattle, Chicago and Atlanta ("Which is of these is not like the others?" Nov. 20).

He surmises that we're culturally deficient compared with these cities and have ceased to be "up-and-coming." Berg and his "East Coast children" seem to be ashamed of what time-warped Minnesota has to offer.

Frankly, I don't care about being cosmopolitan. Seattle, Chicago and Atlanta have more serial killers, which Berg failed to mention.

Serial Killers, the new urban blight.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
The Miami Herald employs actual open racists

quote:

Imagine five Jewish kids go to school one day wearing their yarmulkes. The school’s numerous skinhead students are furious. At lunch they mill around in the school yard, muttering threats and complaining to the assistant principal that that their political beliefs have been insulted. The assistant principal responds by calling the Jewish kids into his office and ordering them to take off their yarmulkes or go home.

Then imagine further that when the kids go to court to get help, the judge replies: Sorry, fellows, you’ve misunderstood the concept of free speech. It only lasts until a fascist bully threatens to punch you in the nose. After that, we’re on his side, not yours.

The head of every First Amendment lawyer in America explodes, right? Editorial boards at The New York Times and Washington Post are struck down with collective strokes, right?

Political progressives all over the country pour into the streets demanding that Obamacare be expanded to provide free backbone transplants for judges, right?

Wrong, wrong and wrong, at least if you replace “yarmulke” with “American flag.” When a federal judge in San Francisco ruled earlier this month that school administrators in a California town had the right to kick out kids for wearing American flag T-shirts because they were offending Mexican-American students, the silence among First Amendment activists and the media was deafening.

This sad story of multiculturalism run amok begins in Morgan Hill, Calif., a small town south of San Jose previously notorious only for its hellishly efficient speed traps, during last year’s Cinco de Mayo celebration. (Cinco de Mayo, May 5, is the anniversary of an 1862 battle between the Mexican and French armies; curiously, it isn’t celebrated in Mexico at all.)

At Morgan Hill’s Live Oak High School, scores of the many Mexican-American students wore the red, green and white colors of the Mexican flag. But five kids came in American-flag T-shirts.

As the five sat at a table outside during a morning break in classes, assistant principal Miguel Rodriguez summoned them into the school office.

The Mexican-American students were angry about the American flags, Rodriguez warned the five, and they had to either turn their T-shirts inside-out or go home for the day. “They said we were starting a fight, we were fuel to the fire,” sophomore Matt Dariano told the Gilroy Dispatch.

In federal court testimony later, Rodriguez admitted that the five boys weren’t doing anything wrong. But he had been warned that Mexican-American students were unhappy.

And he recalled that on Cinco de Mayo the year before, Mexican-American students had threatened violence when somebody raised an American flag.

“Rodriguez, they are racist,” a Mexican-American student had yelled at the time. “They are being racist. (Bleep) them white boys. Let’s (bleep) them up.”

The five boys went home. But three of them later sued Rodriguez, another administrator and the school district, saying they had been deprived of their freedom of expression and right to due process and equal protection under the law.

Hogwash, ruled federal District Court Judge James Ware.

By making the bullies angry, the boys “could cause a substantial disruption with school activities,” which gave administrators the legal right to kick them out, the judge said. And in a truly Orwellian twist, he added that there was no need to eject students wearing the colors of the Mexican flag because nobody had threatened to beat them up.

Ignorant layman that I am, I would have guessed that the whole point of the First and Fourteenth amendments was precisely the opposite -- that they exist to protect the rights of tiny, peaceful minorities rather than angry mobs.

But Eugene Volokh, a UCLA law professor whose conservative blog The Volokh Conspiracy is among the few media outlets following the Morgan Hill case, says the judge is probably correct under a 1969 Supreme Court ruling that allows schools to restrict speech that would “materially and substantially interfere with the requirements of appropriate discipline.”

So I guess I’ve learned something about the law. And about multiculturalism: that it sees American democracy as an enemy that must be beaten into submission.

And the public schools: that they’ve declined to the point where they are unwilling or unable to protect the physical safety of a kid whose only offense is an affection for red, white and blue.

Glenn Garvin, a columnist for the Miami Herald, can be written at: 1 Herald Plaza, Miami, FL 33132.

multiculturalism: it sees American democracy as an enemy that must be beaten into submission.

gently caress I hate everyone

I'm just posting this one because I think it's loving hilarious to see a guy in 2011 complain about those drat lawmakers and their VCRs

quote:

This “super committee” is one of the all-time political jokes! Let’s see, this is the third time they have gone until the last day to dramatically decide that they can’t come to an agreement.

Are they going to do this every three months? What do they do while they are in there? Do they take their Wii games, X-Box console, or VCR to watch movies? Let’s check their iPhone records to see how many calls and hours they spent talking, because they could not have been working. I’m talking both sides!

They do this posturing and we all know from the beginning what the outcome is going to be. “Boo hoo, they won’t work with me,” says one side. The other side says “no, they won’t work with me. I’m just going to take my ball and go home.”

And here we sit, watching the stock market dive and affect people’s retirement investments. Guess whose retirement is set in stone?

Here’s what I was wondering: If we are going to have super committees, why do we need the other 400-plus politicians? This type of governing is an insult to the people who voted them into office!

I keep saying that the answer to all of these problems is term limits! No one should be in office for 40 years. Then we’ll see how many want to get elected to help the people, and make a difference. You would see politicians working and not just securing their retirement.

Mike Scruggs

Bradenton

enjoy some random teacher hate from the comments too

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Maneck posted:

This one is from Tabatha Southey, from the Globe and Mail (Canada).

This woman is the reason why Dave Foley can't return to Canada and why there won't be another Kids in the Hall tour for a very, very long time. http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/episode-146-dave-foley

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

VR Cowboy posted:

This woman is the reason why Dave Foley can't return to Canada and why there won't be another Kids in the Hall tour for a very, very long time. http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/episode-146-dave-foley

Didn't know that. Looks like Dave Foley is claiming poverty (well, reduced income) but refuses to turn over his work records. A lot of guys do that to get out of child support. They'll reduce your payments if you turn your records over. If you don't, they assume you're hiding income.

A quick Google search on VR Cowboy's point turns up that she's supposed to be a
humour columnist. Maybe I didn't get the joke?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dave Foley is really scummy about his "poverty", he "can't go home" because he refuses to do anything to defend himself and refuses to pay what the court said. It sucks how there are dudes screwed over like that but Dave doesn't give any reason to think he's one.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Glitterbomber posted:

Dave Foley is really scummy about his "poverty", he "can't go home" because he refuses to do anything to defend himself and refuses to pay what the court said. It sucks how there are dudes screwed over like that but Dave doesn't give any reason to think he's one.

Just from googling the issue, it basically seems like the court set his child support and alimony payments based upon his income during his most profitable years, to the tune of over a million dollars a year. He obviously isn't working nearly as much as he was before and not nearly as high profile, but the payment formula hasn't changed to reflect this. Now, whether Foley has actually done anything practical to resolve this situation or just plead poverty and stayed in the US to just avoid the issue is the real question.

It also seems that the financial strain of these payments is what partially caused the dissolution of his second marriage, so he may be resentful of his first wife and kids to the point that he's purposely avoiding going back to Canada because he's adamant about giving any more money to people who he blames for ruining his second marriage. That doesn't absolve him of his legal obligations, but it would explain why he's so steadfast about not doing anything to resolve the situation.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Glitterbomber posted:

Foley got boned pretty hard when Phil Hartman was murdered. Until then News Radio was one of the top-rated comedies on television. The show was never the same after Phil was gone, and ratings declined to the point where the show was canceled.

When Foley was divorced, the judge set his alimony payments at a level that would've been fair in his News Radio heyday, but were unsupportable after the show was canceled and he was thrown out of work. Since Canadian law allows a person who's behind on their alimony to be arrested and jailed, Foley can't leave the US and go home to Canada without being subject to arrest. What money he did have was used up fighting the ruling, so he's pretty broke.

He's gotten pretty bitter about it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea that post was a bit too hard with 'scummy' and all, he was put in a lovely situation with his payment plan, but basically his refusal to let the other side see his records and generally just going 'nope too poor' rather than fighting in a practical way is what makes me wish he wasn't the poster boy for a dude being hosed by divorce courts, when there are a lot more clear examples.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Foley got boned pretty hard when Phil Hartman was murdered. Until then News Radio was one of the top-rated comedies on television.

I loved NewsRadio, even the season after Hartman left, but it was never even close to being highly rated in the Neilsons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewsRadio#Season_ratings

In fact, they actually briefly cancelled it after the fourth season, then renewed it a few days before Hartman was killed.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

I loved NewsRadio, even the season after Hartman left, but it was never even close to being highly rated in the Neilsons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewsRadio#Season_ratings

In fact, they actually briefly cancelled it after the fourth season, then renewed it a few days before Hartman was killed.

It wasn't top rated but the show was popular. It's mostly that NBC is a terrible, terrible network and mismanaged the show so badly that even devoted fans had no idea when it was on. I can see how Foley would be bitter over how his entire career turned out, because for every kernel of good luck he's had there's been a mountain of bullshit coming down on top of it and the cherry on top is a $15,000/month alimony payment that he's now facing debtor's prison if he can't pay.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Plus he's got that terrible beard nowadays

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Foley got boned pretty hard when Phil Hartman was murdered. Until then News Radio was one of the top-rated comedies on television. The show was never the same after Phil was gone, and ratings declined to the point where the show was canceled.

When Foley was divorced, the judge set his alimony payments at a level that would've been fair in his News Radio heyday, but were unsupportable after the show was canceled and he was thrown out of work. Since Canadian law allows a person who's behind on their alimony to be arrested and jailed, Foley can't leave the US and go home to Canada without being subject to arrest. What money he did have was used up fighting the ruling, so he's pretty broke.

He's gotten pretty bitter about it.

I like the guy as an actor. But it's really pretty simple. Owe someone money based on income? Refuse to turn over income records? Get judicially slapped.

And contrary to what deadbeats will tell you, judge's aren't out to throw people in jail. For someone to get into his situation, he pretty much has to have ignored what was going on in Court.

Whether his kids and ex had a negative impact on his new relationship, they're still his kids.

May explain why his ex is so down on monogamous marriage. She still wrote a terrible editorial.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Maneck posted:

I like the guy as an actor. But it's really pretty simple. Owe someone money based on income? Refuse to turn over income records? Get judicially slapped.

And contrary to what deadbeats will tell you, judge's aren't out to throw people in jail. For someone to get into his situation, he pretty much has to have ignored what was going on in Court.

The apparent simplicity of the situation makes me think we don't really know what's going on. Maybe the guy had terrible legal counsel that screwed things up irreversibly. Maybe he really is a deadbeat. There just has to be some element we're not privy to, and that makes the story pretty murky.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Woozy posted:

It wasn't top rated but the show was popular. It's mostly that NBC is a terrible, terrible network and mismanaged the show so badly that even devoted fans had no idea when it was on. I can see how Foley would be bitter over how his entire career turned out, because for every kernel of good luck he's had there's been a mountain of bullshit coming down on top of it and the cherry on top is a $15,000/month alimony payment that he's now facing debtor's prison if he can't pay.

Very true about NBC, just look at what they're doing with "Community" so that they can have a full season of the terrible "Whitney" and the similar and likely terrible new Chelsea Handler sitcom "Are You There, Chelsea?"

Maneck posted:

Whether his kids and ex had a negative impact on his new relationship, they're still his kids.

May explain why his ex is so down on monogamous marriage. She still wrote a terrible editorial.

Just because a judge ordered something doesn't make it inherently good or fair.

If his alimony and child support payments are based on his income at his highest paying years (probably during his time on NewsRadio)and never adjusted when his income substantially fell, it's kind of understandable that he didn't pay money he wasn't earning. Now whether he did anything proactive to constructively fix the situation rather than simply not paying and staying out of Canada is a completely different matter and I'm not knowledgeable enough about what happened to make a judgement.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

If he refused to turn over income records then I see no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. The system is far from perfect but it really isn't acceptable to dodge alimony payments by simply saying "trust me, I can't afford it!" There is a reason that society ultimately decided these sorts of conflicts required the court to mediate them.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Helsing posted:

If he refused to turn over income records then I see no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. The system is far from perfect but it really isn't acceptable to dodge alimony payments by simply saying "trust me, I can't afford it!" There is a reason that society ultimately decided these sorts of conflicts required the court to mediate them.

But the response to that argument is, he's already been hosed over by the court in the first place with this absurd alimony and child support arrangement, so he may not have confidence in the court system to resolve the matter in a fair way. This is even more sympathetic if he risks jail time for previous non-payment simply because he did not have the money. Who wants to be a part of a corrupt process that's already treated you unfairly?

How does he know that when he goes to resolve the matter in Canada that the judge doesn't send him straight to jail or that any negotiation is coerced with the threat of sending him to jail if he doesn't agree with what his ex-wife demands?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

If he truly fears that then he can hire a lawyer in Canada over the phone, or get a lawyer stateside, and have them handle the relevant paperwork. There simply is not a credible excuse for refusing to turn over documentation relating to his income when he simultaneously is using his income as an excuse to defer payments. He doesn't get to decide for himself whether or not the law applies to him and the only reason people are defending him is because they like his work as an actor, which is absurd.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Sometimes the letters to the editor in the local paper sound like they came Pawnee Indiana.

Serial Killers, the new urban blight.

The serial killer reference is a little baffling, but otherwise that seems like a pretty fine comment. I've never been to Minneapolis but I did live in Seattle with someone from the midwest and she always had great things to say about the city. And Garrison Keillor always makes it sound like a great place.

Besides, if you want to talk about culture, Seattle doesn't really have an identifiable culture unless you want to count the 20-something coffee scene. It's mostly just tech yuppies.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

chumpchous posted:

Besides, if you want to talk about culture, Seattle doesn't really have an identifiable culture unless you want to count the 20-something coffee scene. It's mostly just tech yuppies.

What about Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

SlipUp posted:

What about Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain?

Artists are not culture. Besides, Kurt Cobain died before most of the people "in the scene" today were even born. And anyhow, I'd argue that the entire notion of a city possessing "cultural relevance" is antiquated in the digital era.

edit: Seattle does still have Sir Mixalot, though.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 2, 2011

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Branis posted:

I know, right??! Its basically the exact same thing except for the stuff you say to God in the process. Both ways animals are basically strung up, the same tubes are severed and they bleed out.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I know, right??! Its basically the exact same thing except for the stuff you say to God in the process. Both ways animals are basically strung up, the same tubes are severed and they bleed out.

Not only that, but isn't there something in the Koran to the effect of "If it's kosher, it's halal by extension"?

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

redmercer posted:

Not only that, but isn't there something in the Koran to the effect of "If it's kosher, it's halal by extension"?

It's Surah 5.5:

quote:

This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers, but chaste women among the People of the Book, revealed before your time,- when ye give them their due dowers, and desire chastity, not lewdness, nor secret intrigues if any one rejects faith, fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Helsing posted:

the only reason people are defending him is because they like his work as an actor, which is absurd.

His story is also pretty believable, regardless, due to the course of his career being public knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I couldn't even finish this. Eat poo poo Susan Brown.

quote:

As I write, the Occupy Wall Street (OWS) movement’s popularity is dropping just about as rapidly as the movement’s masses are being kicked out of the places across the country they’ve all but destroyed. What was originally painted as an innocent expression of freedom of speech quickly morphed into a violent temper-tantrum against all forms of normal society generally, and banks and financial institutions specifically.

Unlike the Tea Party movement which is largely responsible for changing the nature of the debate in Washington, and in 2010, changing the face of Congress, OWS will most likely have zero impact on the political process due to lack of substance and provocative style.

For a short season, the silent majority caught liberals by surprise when they rose to the occasion and publicly expressed their views against Obamacare and other far-left policies. They learned in short order that protests alone were useless having fallen on the deaf ears of a Democratic Party-controlled Washington. Henceforward Tea Partiers became involved in the political process. While there are whispers around Washington suggesting the Tea Party has seemingly lost its punch, it would be wise to remember who controlled the debt ceiling debate a few months back.

I genuinely feel sorry for so many of the OWS protestors who still haven’t a clue that they were played like pawns on a grand liberal chessboard by those who care little about financial inequality. Liberals are quick to come alongside protestors and claim solidarity, but fail to mention they are responsible for much of the mess the protestors are marching against. It’s all about political power — and naive, disenfranchised youth, brainwashed by college professors, bought into the whole “99 percent” marketing ploy.

The OWS movement was painted to portray protestors as representative of “the 99 percent” of Americans, but, evidently the paint was not permanent. After untold reports of public nudity, orgies and masturbating, personal property defecation, drug overdoses, robberies and rapes, Americans have discovered, with immense relief and much thanksgiving that these occupiers are not at all like the rest of us.

I can only imagine the protestors originally wanted to create some sort of “American Spring” where CEOs and Wall Street Bankers across the country turned in their resignation under duress and gave in to the protestor’s demands. Then what? Are the same dredlocked do-gooders going to hold a shareholder’s meeting to discuss the way ahead? Not likely. Likewise, during the Arab Spring protests, protestors fought for change, but when it arrived they didn’t have a clue what to do with it. As I’ve watched the coverage of the Occupy protests, I have tried to gleam some sort of common thread binding them all together, and all I can come up with is anger. But to what end? Anger without purpose is dangerous.

Democrat leaders seemed to hope the OWS movement would sweep across the country and not fizzle out as it has. What they fail to understand is protests absent a purpose, don’t accomplish anything. There’s no lasting energy. The Civil Rights movement had a singular focus which captivated the nation, and as a result, the movement affected a change in national policy. Similarly, the Tea Party movement succeeded in changing the political focus in the country to fiscal responsibility and smaller government. The Occupy movement has only succeeded to annoy and disrupt the lives of innocent people who happen to make a living in the vicinity of the Occupy parks, and expose the underbelly of the Left as to who they really are — agitators.

• Locked thread