Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Dirk Pitt posted:

Just finished ADWD last night.

1. Is Jon Snow dead for the watch?
2. Why didn't Daenyris fly away when Khal Jhoqo stumbled upon her eating a horse?
3. What happened to Zombie Cat and the Lightening Lord (the real magic sword owner?)

1. No
2. She was busy soiling herself
3. Nothing whatsoever happened. The latter is still dead upon pointlessly reviving zombie Cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Thanks, I forgot that the Lightening Lord was dead. I thought that the Red Priest was the one who died. I thought Baeric Dondarion was the actual R'hololololor.

Anyways, that was an interesting 3 month read, I had to force myself to read through it at points because nothing was happening.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Dirk Pitt posted:

2. Why didn't Daenyris fly away when Khal Jhoqo stumbled upon her eating a horse?

Beyond the diarrhea, I assume she intends to take over his Khalasar using her dragon powers.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Dirk Pitt posted:

Thanks, I forgot that the Lightening Lord was dead. I thought that the Red Priest was the one who died. I thought Baeric Dondarion was the actual R'hololololor.

Anyways, that was an interesting 3 month read, I had to force myself to read through it at points because nothing was happening.

Wait, Baeric is dead, dead? Not just zombie dead like he was before? There are so many parts of this book I apparently just glossed over :psyduck:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Elindale posted:

Wait, Baeric is dead, dead? Not just zombie dead like he was before? There are so many parts of this book I apparently just glossed over :psyduck:

He gave his zombie life to Cat.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Dirk Pitt posted:

3. What happened to Zombie Cat and the Lightening Lord (the real magic sword owner?)

Did Beric D. have the real Lightbringer? I don't recall that.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ross posted:

Did Beric D. have the real Lightbringer? I don't recall that.

I think he was talking about Thoros' flaming sword.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh god now I'm remembering this pointless loving plot that brings loving "regular" zombies into the equation. Between ice zombies, ice spiders, dragons, warlocks, stone-men, living trees, shadow baby demons, face-changing assassins, and fire priests making bionic arms out of charred bone, I'm not sure there's enough room in this story to explain all this conflicting magic crap.

Seriously, between Beric/Zombie Cat and Gregor it seems like the whole "Bring the dead back to life" is another subplot that is never going to see any development or resolution. SO WHY EVEN BRING IT IN?

e- yeah, yeah, fire magic and red priests and whatever. I swear to loving God GRRM is going to have to write a scene where Tyrion just meets the God of the GRRM universe and has him dump exposition on all these conflicting magic schools.

But that'd be work and actually clarify the consistency of the world GRRM built. Instead he's just going to leave it all open-ended and hide behind ye olde "it's magic and the world is big and mysterious and you can't explain everything or know everything just look at how much science we really know" excuse to cover his inability to codify his world into anything with internal consistency beyond regional dinner menus.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 27, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Basically what we initially thought was cool about magic in this series, that it was mysterious and used sparingly, was not something Gurm did to set his world apart, it was because he didn't know what the gently caress he was doing.

Is anyone surprised at this point?

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Isn't the jist of magic that because dragons are back and they revitalized magic in the world? Though something else probably caused the White Walkers to appear and everything else just benefited from magic being brought back. I was always anticipating a reveal like this because red priests are basically wizards and nobody knows or takes advantage of their sweet magic healing, necromancy, foresight or shadow babies.

Jabronie fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 27, 2011

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I think in terms of dragons/magic we're still in chicken vs. egg territory. The Others started getting restless before Daenerys re-activated her stone eggs. Melisandre was having visions prior to that that were more powerful than the other red priests, though at the same time I think at one point she also says that they've grown more powerful recently, even if she does suck at interpreting them.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Both dragons and magic returned because of an outside force, obviously.

The comet/meteor everyone was sperging about earlier in the series! When it crashes into the world, it will explode and cover the planet in phazon dust. Sansa will have to don an ancient suit of armour from the Arryns and run around the ruins of Westeros trying to repair her ship while fighting off Lannister troops subjected to bizarre experiments (oh no, Omega Clegane!) and eventually having a fight atop a temple against a robotic version of Petyr Baelish who is vulnerable to plasma shots, before descending into the meteor crater to deal with a giant Cersei.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
The giant red face of Dagoth-Rhllor closed its massive maw, and looked down at the little dwarf. "That is the truth of this world, child."

Tyrion gazed at the god thoughtfully. "I have only one question, Lord of Flames. Where do whores go?"

The giant eye blinked. "gently caress you, dwarf."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The comet/meteor everyone was sperging about earlier in the series! When it crashes into the world, it will explode and cover the planet in phazon dust. Sansa will have to don an ancient suit of armour from the Arryns and run around the ruins of Westeros trying to repair her ship while fighting off Lannister troops subjected to bizarre experiments (oh no, Omega Clegane!) and eventually having a fight atop a temple against a robotic version of Petyr Baelish who is vulnerable to plasma shots, before descending into the meteor crater to deal with a giant Cersei.

This is wonderful.
:allears:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

While this has been beaten to death in previous pages, GRRM really wrote himself into a corner with Slaver's Bay. To me, it's more a question of ethics than anything else. Dany freed the slaves of Astapor, Yunaki, and Meereen, but not the rest of the area. If she leaves, they'll all be re-enslaved. If she doesn't, well, there goes the plot. How can she justify leaving? Compassion would dictate her abandoning Westeros. The old woman that Jorah and Tyrion spoke with in Volantis remarked how willing the slaves are to revolt, and the Rhllor priesthood are already proclaiming her messianic properties. Whatever my origins, I'd rather have my legacy be the one who smashed the slave trade than a returned exile.

It'll be fun if she just devolves into Aerys 2.0, and GRRM uses that justification to get her rear end moving. Either way, I know a quarter of the next book will be dedicated to food descriptions, and I take comfort in that certainty.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Aurubin posted:

While this has been beaten to death in previous pages, GRRM really wrote himself into a corner with Slaver's Bay. To me, it's more a question of ethics than anything else. Dany freed the slaves of Astapor, Yunaki, and Meereen, but not the rest of the area. If she leaves, they'll all be re-enslaved. If she doesn't, well, there goes the plot. How can she justify leaving? Compassion would dictate her abandoning Westeros. The old woman that Jorah and Tyrion spoke with in Volantis remarked how willing the slaves are to revolt, and the Rhllor priesthood are already proclaiming her messianic properties. Whatever my origins, I'd rather have my legacy be the one who smashed the slave trade than a returned exile.

Dany in the east is a statement from the gurm about the USA meddling in the middle east. Better to leave things in place rather than play Team America Diarrhea, World Police.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Aurubin posted:

It'll be fun if she just devolves into Aerys 2.0, and GRRM uses that justification to get her rear end moving. Either way, I know a quarter of the next book will be dedicated to food descriptions, and I take comfort in that certainty.

I think Dany would be best off leaving someone behind to run things while she's gone. I'm not sure who she could leave behind (although Tyrion does, of course, come to mind) but whoever she left would have to be strong enough to make the people of Slaver's Bay to bow to her / his will as Daenerys' proxy.

Of course, if she put the fear of God into the people of Yunkai / Astapor / Meereen with a well-placed display of dragonfire things might change. Killing the nobility in Meereen would probably help with the whole nightly murder problem, but the Bloated One clearly doesn't want her doing anything terribly sensible.

Perhaps she could load a few of those refugees onto a dragon and have them lean over the side while making GBS threads their guts out with the bloody flux or white mare or whatever it's called over Yunkai and Astapor. It would probably decimate the population enough to make ruling them slightly easier.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Dany seems to be rather stupidly hung up on the idea that she can't frighten her "children" by letting the dragons ravage the eastern cities. It might happen, anyway, in a moment of insanity "empowerment" or something.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I think Gurm needs to go back to Tolkien. Everything major that happened in the LOTR could have a metal song written about it. Three hunters chase a hundred foes? Tree giants tear down the sorcerer's fortress? The ringbearer and his companion fight a giant loving spider? All of that is badass. There's a ton that goes into it, and Tolkien takes his time with the buildup and the logistics and putting all the dominoes in place, but he ends up showing powerful scenes that people remember. Gurm is loving with the pay-off too much, he's setting up the dominoes with too much space so it doesn't work.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

I think Gurm needs to go back to Tolkien. Everything major that happened in the LOTR could have a metal song written about it. Three hunters chase a hundred foes? Tree giants tear down the sorcerer's fortress? The ringbearer and his companion fight a giant loving spider? All of that is badass. There's a ton that goes into it, and Tolkien takes his time with the buildup and the logistics and putting all the dominoes in place, but he ends up showing powerful scenes that people remember. Gurm is loving with the pay-off too much, he's setting up the dominoes with too much space so it doesn't work.

ADWD was pretty metal:

Pierced nipples on a breastplate
Beating drums in the snow outside a castle
Ramsay Bolton's entire existence
Quentyn facing down a dragon
Dany making GBS threads on herself

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The problem is that most of this stuff is anti-climactic. Quentyn facing down the dragon sounds good until you realize that it was a horrible idea and he dies from his burns a little bit later. That's not metal at all.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Both dragons and magic returned because of an outside force, obviously.

Nah, it'll have landed and started burrowing deep into the earth and start force-evolving all life on the planet as a delicious snack later. In a few dozen million years there'll be floating continents and poo poo, until some meddling kids, their pet frog, and a robot decide to make it crash.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

The problem is that most of this stuff is anti-climactic. Quentyn facing down the dragon sounds good until you realize that it was a horrible idea and he dies from his burns a little bit later. That's not metal at all.

It's not all about the climax though, GURPS knows its all about the foreplay, the build up, the partner getting satisfaction, and the power one feels from being in control of whether their orgasm is achieved in the end.

Gurm is a master of denial games.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so, little behind here but just finished ADWD over the holiday weekend.

I enjoyed this book a lot better than the last and felt like some badass stuff happened but all in all I'm just getting pissed off at GURM (like most of this thread it would seem) for being such a giant loving cocktease and dragging poo poo out so long without any sort of resolving of any of the myriad sub-plots.

of all of the head-scratching wtf's I had in this book some of my biggest ones were... Jaime and Brienne? okay, why even mention Jaime running off with Brienne if you're just going to stop there and not say jack about it for the rest of the book. Bran? wtf is going on with Bran and the Reed's? he takes this epic trek beyond the wall only to sit in a chair and learn that he'll be able to have great knowledge but (apparently) no way to put any of this bullshit to any sort of effectual use? he just gets to be the wise tree-kid that sits buried under the ground? weak-loving-sauce.

Tyrion spends the entire book crossing the sea only to join with some lame sell-swords?

I think the most interesting/least-frustrating stuff for me was the John Connington & Aegon chapters. at this point I sort of just want them to gently caress up everything in Westeros, I'm so sick of pretty much everyone on the continent that I'm ready for them to just die (at least if it means resolution without 100 more subplots opened up in the meantime)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

neongrey posted:

Nah, it'll have landed and started burrowing deep into the earth and start force-evolving all life on the planet as a delicious snack later. In a few dozen million years there'll be floating continents and poo poo, until some meddling kids, their pet frog, and a robot decide to make it crash.

:psyduck: I don't have any idea what this is.

batomys
Sep 16, 2008

:psyduck: I don't have any idea what this is.

I think it's a reference to Crono Trigger.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

MMD3 posted:

I think the most interesting/least-frustrating stuff for me was the John Connington & Aegon chapters. at this point I sort of just want them to gently caress up everything in Westeros, I'm so sick of pretty much everyone on the continent that I'm ready for them to just die (at least if it means resolution without 100 more subplots opened up in the meantime)

I want Victarion to start sacrificing other POV characters like he did them sex slaves

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

bigmcgaffney posted:

Gurm is a master of denial games.

Or IS he? :crossarms:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Elindale posted:

I must of glossed over that part aswell. I had no idea that Beric had done that, I'd just assumed Cat had returned as a zombie because.. magic! I was honestly expecting much more out of that plot.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

NoneSuch posted:

I must of glossed over that part aswell. I had no idea that Beric had done that, I'd just assumed Cat had returned as a zombie because.. magic! I was honestly expecting much more out of that plot.

If I remember right Thoros of Myr was telling someone about how they found her body, he said he couldn't bring her back, Dondarrion was like whatever bitch, kissed her alive and then actually for-realsies died.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If I remember right Thoros of Myr was telling someone about how they found her body, he said he couldn't bring her back, Dondarrion was like whatever bitch, kissed her alive and then actually for-realsies died.

I can only hope that zombie Cat spends the next book moaning about men and their follies, men and war, men and battle, how men waste their lives, how men care about the wrong things, how her beautiful baby boy wasn't ready for war, how war consumes men, how women can't stop men from doing what they will, how men overreact with violence to slights, and then starts another war

Why didn't Robb listen to her during his war councils? She's his mother and she knows best

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 29, 2011

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Vertigus posted:

I can only hope that zombie Cat spends the next book moaning about brrrraaaaainss and their follies, brrrraaaaainss and war, men and brrrraaaaainss, how men waste their brrrraaaaainss, how brrrraaaaainss care about the wrong things, how her beautiful baby brrrraaaaainss wasn't ready for war, how war consumes brrrraaaaainss, how women can't stop brrrraaaaainss from doing what they will, how men overreact with violence to brrrraaaaainss, and then eats another brain.

:zombie::hf::zombie:

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Has he plugged Ty's book on the blog?

Just finished it, it's revealed on the last page that Ty co-wrote it under a pen-name. I guess the cover blurb from GRRM should have been a clue.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

GRRM posted:

If you're an ebook reader who has yet to sample the Wild Cards series, here's your chance to get a taste. I'd recommend that you start with either WILD CARDS (where it all began) or with INSIDE STRAIGHT (first of the "next generation" books, and a great intro to the world). But hell, at that price, you can buy all four for less than the price of a pizza.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Makes perfect sense to me, life is measured in pizzas.

Tell me about the Dunk & Egg books.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Let me be the 1000th person here to say gently caress that book. What's worse is that I don't see how the next book can be much better. Dany has to at some point get over that ocean. The whole series has been building to that. But how can she? First she has to make a drat decision, which could be getting back to her roots with the dothraki, then she has to beat some rear end. The problem is that the dragons are all untrained little things. Aren't we just going to to get a whole book of her training these drat things filled with bs back story about dragons and blahblah see you next book for the real showdown?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
You forget there's a magical dragon taming horn being delivered to her like so many dominoes pizza's

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Let me be the 1000th person here to say gently caress that book. What's worse is that I don't see how the next book can be much better. Dany has to at some point get over that ocean. The whole series has been building to that. But how can she? First she has to make a drat decision, which could be getting back to her roots with the dothraki, then she has to beat some rear end. The problem is that the dragons are all untrained little things. Aren't we just going to to get a whole book of her training these drat things filled with bs back story about dragons and blahblah see you next book for the real showdown?

This is the problem. There is a lot of ground that needs to be covered before we can reach the conclusion he's been hinting at with dragons and ice wights and all that poo poo, but the most recent book doesn't seem to have moved us towards that. It hasn't moved away either, it just feels like he's going to need to tie up a few things he pushed in the most recent book and then go back to finishing off earlier stuff. There's about a hundred pages of real stuff in there but you have to read the entire thing to get to it.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

DP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

NovemberMike posted:

This is the problem. There is a lot of ground that needs to be covered before we can reach the conclusion he's been hinting at with dragons and ice wights and all that poo poo, but the most recent book doesn't seem to have moved us towards that. It hasn't moved away either, it just feels like he's going to need to tie up a few things he pushed in the most recent book and then go back to finishing off earlier stuff. There's about a hundred pages of real stuff in there but you have to read the entire thing to get to it.

pretty good summation of how I felt.

with only 2 books (purportedly) remaining in the series, and knowing that it takes approximately AN ENTIRE BOOK for somebody to cross the narrow sea, it feels like the next book MIGHT see Dani heading towards Westeros which would leave a shitload of epic stuff that would all be crammed into the 7th book. It really seems like he's totally hosed his pacing and we should have seen Dani concluding business in Meereen, finding out about Aegon, and figuring out how to get her dragon butts across the ocean all take place in this book. I hope this all takes place in like the first 100 pages of the next book and we're off and running again but GRRM doesn't exactly have the best track record at this point.