Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody here ever used NeatReceipts for Mac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
error -36 s listed in various things as an OS 9 I/O error code.

Is it the same for os X? (Have I managed to kill another drive?)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
What's a good App for storing/managing passwords, credit card numbers, etc.? I've only heard of 1Password, which seems nice, because it also has an iPhone/iPad App. I don't really know what features to look for in such software though, other than storing stuff safely.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

FLX posted:

What's a good App for storing/managing passwords, credit card numbers, etc.? I've only heard of 1Password, which seems nice, because it also has an iPhone/iPad App. I don't really know what features to look for in such software though, other than storing stuff safely.

On OS X 1Password is probably the best thing out there. I set mine up syncing with dropbox and have the windows version at work.

Probably would be a good weekend to buy it as they are having a sale on the iOS apps, and I think the bundles as well. You can get the mac and windows license for $34.99, just mac for $24.99, and the iOS apps are half off.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

What's the upside of 1Password as opposed to something like KeePass?

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

yaoi prophet posted:

What's the upside of 1Password as opposed to something like KeePass?

Not having ever used Keepass, 1Password has a great user interface, excellent browser integration, works on Windows and Mac, syncs through Dropbox, and a javascript version can be accessed through Dropbox for use on public computers. I use all of those features regularly so if you think you would and Keepass doesn't do all that, there you go.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
LastPass is free and syncs between computers on it's own (doesn't require Dropbox, which my work just banned). Plugin works with with almost all desktop and browser combinations. Mobile app costs $1/month, but you can use the website with a browser for free, though it isn't optimized for mobile at all. They store your encrypted password file, it is only decrypted locally.

mwarkentin
Oct 26, 2004
+1 for LastPass. I've been using it for about 2 years. No problems, and it works on every platform I use.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll go with 1Password, because I feel more secure when I paid someone to encrypt the access to my life.

Speaking of software one sale: Parallels Desktop 7 is $59.99 until Nov 30.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

If you're willing to put up with a slightly cumbersome interface you can always use the inbuilt app Keychain Access.app. All your passwords you type in are automagically here, and you can add additional passwords and store arbitrary text notes as well. To actually view a password/note you have to type in the keychain password each and every time so it can be a bit annoying.

To avoid having to scroll through the massive list of passwords in the 'login' (default) keychain, you can make a new one and drag existing ones into there, and make any new ones in there.

If there was a way to make it so you could completely unlock a keychain and view passwords & notes without having to put in the password every bloody time I'd use it.

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 27, 2011

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Is there any difference between the Mac App Store version of 1Password and the one they sell through the site?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

priznat posted:

I saw that but I was wondering if it means that the license for the OSX is transferred over to the the windows one. I'd like to have both so probably the $20 one is the answer.

It might be ok though to do the upgrade to the windows one though, not sure.

I did the $17.49 Windows upgrade, and both my Mac and Windows copies are working without issue. I was actually given a separate product key for the Windows version.

vikingstrike posted:

Is there any difference between the Mac App Store version of 1Password and the one they sell through the site?

As far as I know, from an end-user perspective, no, but I would suggest you buy the MAS version unless you need some bundle deal they can only accomplish on their site. The MAS will for sure be a free upgrade to version 4 when it comes out (AgileBits has stated this, see comments), while I wouldn't be surprised if those who buy from the site are charged an upgrade fee. I can't find much info on the upgrade path for non-MAS users.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the link!

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have a Mac here that I need to reset the admin password on. It is a donated machine, so nobody knows the current password. It runs Tiger.

Does Tiger allow you to reset the password without loss of data by using the install disc?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

vikingstrike posted:

Yes, they’re different versions and slightly off track from each other. The MAS version, for example, didn’t support the WebKit nighties until a recent update.

The MAS version will also upgrade for free to 4.0 when that’s released.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I have a Mac here that I need to reset the admin password on. It is a donated machine, so nobody knows the current password. It runs Tiger.

Does Tiger allow you to reset the password without loss of data by using the install disc?

As far as I remember, the tool is on the disc. Boot into it, and check through what's listed in the Utilities section of the menu bar.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

If you don't have the disk, you should be able to boot into single user mode and reset the password. I haven't done this since about 10.3, but I doubt it has changed.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

SwimNurd posted:

If you don't have the disk, you should be able to boot into single user mode and reset the password. I haven't done this since about 10.3, but I doubt it has changed.

You can still do this up to Snow Leopard and via Terminal in Lion Recovery. I don't remember the commands for it off the top of my head though. I'd still recommend using the disc for those who aren't comfortable with Terminal commands or single user mode.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

1997 posted:

You can still do this up to Snow Leopard and via Terminal in Lion Recovery. I don't remember the commands for it off the top of my head though. I'd still recommend using the disc for those who aren't comfortable with Terminal commands or single user mode.

If you're in single user mode using terminal, you should be able to passwd the account to reset the password. Although I've never done this and don't know if there are any snags. For example, I believe this would get you into the system but some things like Keychain may not update.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

If you're in single user mode using terminal, you should be able to passwd the account to reset the password. Although I've never done this and don't know if there are any snags. For example, I believe this would get you into the system but some things like Keychain may not update.

I did this like half a year ago and I think I used this set of directions.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

adm posted:

Unfortunately I've done this twice now and it hasn't helped.. thanks though
(about Flash videos not working)
Does all Flash content not work, or just videos, and have you tried it out on other random sites? The best I can think of is maybe you have some system level blocker that's messing things up like GlimmerBlocker or whatever. That would explain why reinstalling Flash and doing anything in the browsers themselves isn't working.

kapalama posted:

error -36 s listed in various things as an OS 9 I/O error code.

Is it the same for os X? (Have I managed to kill another drive?)
Unexpected end of file or something? Yeah I think it's the same in OS X, it doesn't necessarily mean you killed the drive...although knowing you...

Well if you're lucky it could just be some software/filesystem gently caress up, I think I ran into that when my journal blew up.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

japtor posted:

(about Flash videos not working)
Does all Flash content not work, or just videos, and have you tried it out on other random sites? The best I can think of is maybe you have some system level blocker that's messing things up like GlimmerBlocker or whatever. That would explain why reinstalling Flash and doing anything in the browsers themselves isn't working.

Many flash sites with video work just fine, but many also do not, seems about 50/50. No system-level blockers installed. I've allowed (third-party) cookies and popups, disabled Adblock, shut down Little Snitch, ran browsers in safe-mode, set flash settings to wide open, the works. Pretty infuriating.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Tried messing with your DNS settings? Maybe your current one is messed up, test out the Google or OpenDNS ones I guess.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Not sure if this is a hardware (decoder) or software (player) problem, but the DVD Player app on my 13" MBA has stopped playing sound from both physical discs (using MBA external Superdrive) and ISOs. Other apps play sound just fine, and the discs can be ripped by Handbrake including the audio.

Is there some hidden mute setting I'm overlooking, or a preference file I can delete?

Relevant info:

Version of DVD Player:

Files I've deleted and let be recreated, to no avail:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I'm thinking of buying my girlfriend Lion for her Air. If I buy her a gift card online in the iTunes store, can she redeem it in the Mac App store?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Yep, there's a link to redeem iTunes gift cards on the front page of the App Store.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Probably a dumb question, but can I put all the "Adobe CS#" application folders into a generic "Adobe CS5" folder in /Applications/ without it breaking everything? I'd think yes but it is Adobe, so...

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
A random comment: Remember that time Lion reversed the default scrolling direction and some people thought that was a big deal? Good times.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

Probably a dumb question, but can I put all the "Adobe CS#" application folders into a generic "Adobe CS5" folder in /Applications/ without it breaking everything? I'd think yes but it is Adobe, so...

Theoretically yes. When you move any CS5 application, the next time you start that application, it will (should) detect it and want to "update the product configuration." Let it. This highly sensitive process requires you authenticate as an admin user.

At that point, everything should work, including updates. But maybe it will, maybe it won't, because it is Adobe, so...

Worst case it goes horribly wrong and you get stuck reinstalling Creative Suite. But it should work.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

computer parts posted:

I've asked it to install the apps specifically into such a folder, but there are always a few it leaves out...

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Kobayashi posted:

A random comment: Remember that time Lion reversed the default scrolling direction and some people thought that was a big deal? Good times.

Did anyone keep theirs that way or did everyone revert back to the old style?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

Haha, dealt with that two weeks ago. On my roommate's new MBP, which she had, in the initial set up, purposefully set to Italian. Somewhat proud I was able to navigate exactly to the relevant syspref.

Postal posted:

Actually, I reverted mine after installing Lion, and after three months or so, actually decided to go with the new paradigm. It did coincide with me updating my old blackberry to an android phone, and also I realized that the next Mac OS probably won't have it even as an option. Embrace the future, yo.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Postal posted:

REVERT.

Mother-in-law just got a Macbook Air, and I don't like a ton of the changes they made to the Finder. Disclaimer: I know these can be worked around, but remember that inexperienced users tend to stick with what's given to them.

For starters, it's nearly impossible to find your actual hard drive unless you know what to look for. I wanted to show where all her files actually were (the hard disk), but it wasn't in the sidebar at all, and of course it isn't on the Desktop either. But instead we get 'All Your Files?' Try explaining that no, there aren't two copies of your pictures, that's actually a folder of aliases blah blah.

And why exactly is the Library folder hidden in your Home folder? Is that really so Top Secret that it can't be visible from the start?

Also, apps that auto-open and revert themselves confuse the crap out of her. And again, I know I could tinker with all these things, but it's not my computer. I'm just there for support.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

lord funk posted:

REVERT.

Mother-in-law just got a Macbook Air, and I don't like a ton of the changes they made to the Finder. Disclaimer: I know these can be worked around, but remember that inexperienced users tend to stick with what's given to them.

For starters, it's nearly impossible to find your actual hard drive unless you know what to look for. I wanted to show where all her files actually were (the hard disk), but it wasn't in the sidebar at all, and of course it isn't on the Desktop either. But instead we get 'All Your Files?' Try explaining that no, there aren't two copies of your pictures, that's actually a folder of aliases blah blah.
Why the heck were you insistent on showing her the actual contents of the drive when you could have just shown her the user folder (which is where everything a normal user puts on their drive ends up, and oh look it's also the first thing that's shown when you open a finder window).

And what did you need to change in the library folder? You can quickly access it by holding option on the Go menu.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Postal posted:

Natural scrolling fo lyfe.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I played around with Launchbar and reverse scrolling for 5 minutes and then reverted back to the way god intended. "natural" scrolling makes no sense at all if you use a mouse.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I like "natural scrolling" so much I had to install some hacky thing to get it on my Windows PC at work. It makes perfect sense when you understand that you're moving the contents of the window, not the scroll thumb.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Why the heck were you insistent on showing her the actual contents of the drive when you could have just shown her the user folder (which is where everything a normal user puts on their drive ends up, and oh look it's also the first thing that's shown when you open a finder window).

And what did you need to change in the library folder? You can quickly access it by holding option on the Go menu.

Because sometimes you need to explain how things work so an older user can get it? And her home folder wasn't even listed in the sidebar by default.

Again, I know these things can be worked around. I just don't like the defaults Apple chose.

Re: hidden library folder. I don't get this one. It's just too arbitrarily hidden.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

I like "natural scrolling" so much I had to install some hacky thing to get it on my Windows PC at work. It makes perfect sense when you understand that you're moving the contents of the window, not the scroll thumb.

I wiped and reinstalled Lion last week, as I wasn't happy with the crap left over from my SL upgrade install. Decided to leave natural scrolling on for a little while, and after about 20 minutes it frustrated me to the point I reverted back to the old school method.

The odd thing is, it immediately felt wrong to go back and I kept finding myself subconsciously using the natural method still. So it's been on natural ever since and it just feels right, all I had to do was get over my prejudice towards it.

Also, I agree that it's best to describe it as moving the document itself, rather than a pushing a window/viewport around over the top of the document.

lord funk posted:

Re: hidden library folder. I don't get this one. It's just too arbitrarily hidden.

Why is it arbitrary? How often do you really need to go into the folder? It's not locked away, just hidden so that most users don't go in there and mess something up. In most cases, the reason you'd need to go into the Library folder is a support issue, and then the person offering support can just tell them to use the Go To Folder menu option or keyboard shortcut. Windows has kept important system stuff hidden by default for several versions and there hasn't been an uproar about that - power users can make it visible on both operating systems, other users don't know that they're missing anything and are prevented from upsetting things from inquisitive poking about.

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Not sure I like having to now pay for Hardware Growler AND Growl on the MAS (HG used to come free with 1.2.2), guess free updates will lessen the pain somewhat.

If SAFT ever shows up on the App Store, which would be like Dillinger showing up at the opening of a Wells Fargo, I'd be one of the first people to give him a no stars review. Never trust somebody who has the stones to sell his stuff off a dnsalias site.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 28, 2011