Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Anyone here been listening to the new Megadeth album? I've avoided them in the past because I can't stand Dave's voice but this album is kinda growing on me. Has good riffs and the lyrics aren't half bad.

If only Metallica were still going strong like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Looks like the first two parts of the new documentary by the guy who did Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Global Metal are premiering on Much More Music in Canada tonight. His first two documentaries were pretty cool, probably worth checking out the new one.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

BGrifter posted:

Looks like the first two parts of the new documentary by the guy who did Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Global Metal are premiering on Much More Music in Canada tonight. His first two documentaries were pretty cool, probably worth checking out the new one.

What's the new one about?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

QPZIL posted:

What's the new one about?

TV guide listing says the first two parts are about "Pre-Metal" and "Early Metal", so I'd guess it's a more indepth history of metal.

Edit: Just watched up to the first commercial break, looks like they're starting with a discussion of where metal came from, then will be launching into a study of metal subgenres over several parts. Should be fun, Sam Dunn has a knack for getting tons of musicians to do interviews.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 26, 2011

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Ingram posted:

Anyone here been listening to the new Megadeth album? I've avoided them in the past because I can't stand Dave's voice but this album is kinda growing on me. Has good riffs and the lyrics aren't half bad.

Everyone always talks about how Metallica is fading, how Dave Mustaine is annoying, and how Kerry King of Slayer is fat or whatever. How is Anthrax? I was thinking about checking out their discography, and don't really remember any discussion about them.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Anthrax sucks.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gaggins posted:

Anthrax sucks.

They really do, I don't understand the hype how they are some great thrash band. They sound like loving poo poo and can kiss my rear end. Compared to the thrash bands from the bay area and overseas, they are just weak.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
So after seeing the lineup for Hellfest, my boyfriend and I have decided that we just HAVE to go (Darkspace are definitely on my bucket list of 'bands to see before I die'. Not to mention Arcturus, and a million other amazing bands).

Any goons been before? Any advice/warnings to offer? And what's the best way of getting to Clisson from London? We were thinking of getting the coach as my beloved is a bad flyer, and this way we don't have to worry about baggage limits etc. But if there's a better way, please let me know :)

e: sp

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 26, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's a concert, go and have fun. You don't need a manual to attend social events. :p

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

It's a concert, go and have fun. You don't need a manual to attend social events. :p

Er, I was thinking more stuff like "the toilets are poo poo, be prepared", "there's always massive queues for the bars", "the site is huge so try and camp in X sector as it's close to the arena" and stuff like that. I went to my first festival in 2000, and go to one every year so don't need any tips on how to prepare for/have fun at one, but would appreciate Hellfest-specific info, as I haven't been before. :)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Vintersorg posted:

They really do, I don't understand the hype how they are some great thrash band. They sound like loving poo poo and can kiss my rear end. Compared to the thrash bands from the bay area and overseas, they are just weak.

Fistful of Metal is a fantastic album.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ingram posted:

I love the new album! "Public Enemy No. 1" is kind of a low point, which is surprising considering how much of a hit it's supposed to be.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet
The new Cynic EP sucks. I am quite sad.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Orbital Sapling posted:

The new Cynic EP sucks. I am quite sad.

At least they're consistent.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Gorilla Radio posted:

Everyone always talks about how Metallica is fading, how Dave Mustaine is annoying, and how Kerry King of Slayer is fat or whatever. How is Anthrax? I was thinking about checking out their discography, and don't really remember any discussion about them.

Anthrax is a "fun" metal band, they put on a hell of a live show and you can tell they're having fun. I just saw them with Death Angel and Testament a few weeks ago, and saw them last year with Megadeth and Slayer. Great show each time.

The Orange Goblin
Oct 27, 2007
Don't blind my eyes turn them blue

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

So after seeing the lineup for Hellfest, my boyfriend and I have decided that we just HAVE to go (Darkspace are definitely on my bucket list of 'bands to see before I die'. Not to mention Arcturus, and a million other amazing bands).

Any goons been before? Any advice/warnings to offer? And what's the best way of getting to Clisson from London? We were thinking of getting the coach as my beloved is a bad flyer, and this way we don't have to worry about baggage limits etc. But if there's a better way, please let me know :)

Me and a mate have done Hellfest in 2009 and 2011 - phenomenal festival! Camping is all within a 10 or less walk of the main arena and the toilets are OK as long as you use them early on in the day...Normally we've done holidays prior to the festival then a train from Paris but I imagine a great way of doing it is Eurostar from London - change in Paris then the 3 hour train - also a supermarket within 15 minutes for cheap beer

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I was at hellfest this year, but I was with a band, so my experience is a little different.

If you can get to the Clisson airport, there's a shuttle from clisson to hellfest that's like 10 eur a person. :)

Advice: have a blast. Warnings: it rained the whole time, so waterproof the tent, bring some plastic to lay down and warm clothes.

Vic Rattlehead
Mar 13, 2002

Ingram posted:

Its grown on me a lot after the first couple listens. I think Megadeth's biggest problem at this point is they just need a good drummer. Shawn Drover is one lifeless bastard and his mediocrity is like a hole in a ship. Hearing David Ellefson back sounds pretty drat nice though, his tone is loving awesome and way up front in the mix.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

At least they're consistent.

Come on now, don't make me go on and tell you why your taste in music is objectively wrong.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

rxcowboy posted:

Anthrax is a "fun" metal band
Yeah this is what I always thought set Anthrax apart from the other Big 4. Megadeth had a bit more of this than the others, but Dave Mustaine was always a bit more vitriolic whereas I thought Anthrax kept that punk-y snarky attitude without being too incisive.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Anthrax is also more unapologetically nerdy than the rest of them. I mean, pretty much all metal has a strong streak of geekery to it, but Anthrax is doing songs about Judge Dredd and hiring Alex Ross to do album covers and poo poo.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Are there any metal related sales going on right now? I could use some new vinyl and shirts.

CMDistro has an up-to 40% off nearly everything sale.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Oh man, I just paid off my credit card too. My poor wallet.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Orbital Sapling posted:

Come on now, don't make me go on and tell you why your taste in music is objectively wrong.

Actually I think you should go on.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Cowboys from Hell might just be my favourite old metal album. There is literally not a bad song and unlike most old metal it actually sounds good (Listening to the 3 CD remastered edition.)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

The Orange Goblin posted:

Me and a mate have done Hellfest in 2009 and 2011 - phenomenal festival! Camping is all within a 10 or less walk of the main arena and the toilets are OK as long as you use them early on in the day...Normally we've done holidays prior to the festival then a train from Paris but I imagine a great way of doing it is Eurostar from London - change in Paris then the 3 hour train - also a supermarket within 15 minutes for cheap beer

Thanks for the reassurance :) Yeah, I think Eurostar could be the way to go - I love French trains. Thanks for the toilet warning, too - I've heard they're not great. :/ I mean, I've survived Reading - how bad can they be, in comparison? (I'm a lot older and fussier now, though!)

thepitgoddess posted:

I was at hellfest this year, but I was with a band, so my experience is a little different.

If you can get to the Clisson airport, there's a shuttle from clisson to hellfest that's like 10 eur a person. :)

Advice: have a blast. Warnings: it rained the whole time, so waterproof the tent, bring some plastic to lay down and warm clothes.

I spent a year living in Brittany - the weather was pretty bad, now you come to mention it... I've been incredibly lucky and never been to a really rainy festival - Leeds in 2002 and Bloodstock in 2010 were damp, but not that bad - relentless rain must be soul-sapping. I'll prepare accordingly. :)

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I spent a year living in Brittany - the weather was pretty bad, now you come to mention it... I've been incredibly lucky and never been to a really rainy festival - Leeds in 2002 and Bloodstock in 2010 were damp, but not that bad - relentless rain must be soul-sapping. I'll prepare accordingly. :)

Just cold, mostly! I was already in boots, but I only packed tshirts and shorts! Huge mistake, haha. Some people suggested bringing plastic to lay down in the tent under sleeping bags and stuff, and I'd suggest bringing jeans and shorts and a jacket or two. NIghts were freezing, but if you're loaded, you won't notice so much :D

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Splash Damage posted:

I recently got into Arckanum. Any other good black metal bands like that, besides the obvious classics?

Here are some albums I've been listening to lately that you might like:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Amestigon/Sun_of_All_Suns/233187

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Antaeus/Blood_Libels/126448

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Oranssi_Pazuzu/Kosmonument/317460

For a more 'accessible' sound I definitely recommend the Amestigon album. Antaeus is a GREAT band too. 'Cut Your Flesh and Worship Satan' rules as well.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power
Just wanted to drop in and post the demo for a band I'm working on.

Occult 45. For Fans of Brutal Truth, Napalm Death, Rotten Sound, etc
Four minutes of grind below.
http://occult45.bandcamp.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Occult45

Add us on Facebook if you like it.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Dyscrasia posted:

Finally got a chance to give this a go. Holy crap this sounds like Death. Even the style of the solos is Chuck. I've only heard a couple songs, not bad so far.

Coroner - Mental Vortex is also extremely Death-like, and jaw droppingly awesome. Like Rush and Slayer doing an album together

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think it would probably be more fair to say that Death is extremely Coroner like.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

I know there's a few Florida people here, so jsut to update....

The main Orlando venue, Club Firestone, will no longer be doing shows. As such, our shows got scattered all over the state. Most of the Spring tours will be at the Orpheum in Tampa.

The Cro Mags Dec 2 show got moved to Brass Mug, Tampa.
Obscura/Abysmal Dawn's Orlando date (dec 4) is at the Haven. The Tampa date is the same.
The Mayhem show got moved to a shithole called 321 Local in Cocoa. It's small as poo poo, and I honestly think there's a chance Mayhem will take one look and refuse to play, since it's smaller than the Brass Mug and I highly doubt their stage set will even fit.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Ingram posted:

Cowboys from Hell might just be my favourite old metal album. There is literally not a bad song and unlike most old metal it actually sounds good (Listening to the 3 CD remastered edition.)

I might just be old but in my mind that album is not "old metal".

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

MrBling posted:

I think it would probably be more fair to say that Death is extremely Coroner like.

I'll be damned, I didn't know Individual Thought Patterns was two years after Mental Vortex...

MrBling posted:

I might just be old but in my mind that album is not "old metal".

I heard Appetite For Destruction songs played on the area classic rock radio station here. I died a little that day.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 28, 2011

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Morbid Florist posted:

I heard Appetite For Destruction songs played on the area classic rock radio station here. I died a little that day.

The music-on-tv channels I get are the most hosed up. They play stuff from the 90s as oldies or classic rock, like Slipknot and barely-radio-friendly nu-metal stuff. The metal station also plays Asking Alexandria and Staind, it's completely unpredictable and really confusing. There's also a jazz channel that will occasionally get stuck in a mood of classic rock or blues with no jazz whatsoever.

My point is that people involved in broadcasting music, especially with the decline of radio, can often be really detached from it.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

thepitgoddess posted:

The main Orlando venue, Club Firestone, will no longer be doing shows. As such, our shows got scattered all over the state. Most of the Spring tours will be at the Orpheum in Tampa.

Obscura/Abysmal Dawn's Orlando date (dec 4) is at the Haven. The Tampa date is the same.
The Mayhem show got moved to a shithole called 321 Local in Cocoa. It's small as poo poo, and I honestly think there's a chance Mayhem will take one look and refuse to play, since it's smaller than the Brass Mug and I highly doubt their stage set will even fit.

Why can't you do your shows in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami? There are smaller venues than Revolution & The Culture room around here.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

MrBling posted:

Actually I think you should go on.

And risk sounding utterly retarded? I think not.

Really though, I think Traced In Air is one of my favourite albums and the new EP has pretty much none of what I liked about it.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

thepitgoddess posted:

Oh man, I don't live in Florida anymore, but I lived right down the road from the 321 local. It really is an awful tiny shithole who's usual bands are deathcore and bad indie rock. Ya, Mayhem isn't gonna play. They don't serve liquor either, just beer.

Any news as to why the Firestone isn't doing anymore shows? That was literally the only larger venue doing proper metal in Orlando.

The Orange Goblin
Oct 27, 2007
Don't blind my eyes turn them blue

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Thanks for the reassurance :) Yeah, I think Eurostar could be the way to go - I love French trains. Thanks for the toilet warning, too - I've heard they're not great. :/ I mean, I've survived Reading - how bad can they be, in comparison? (I'm a lot older and fussier now, though!)

The other option is to fly into Nantes airport - you can get a shuttle to/from the site
I also remembered it's a train from Paris to Nantes then a 45 min train from Nantes to Clisson then grab a minibus for up to 7 people for 10 euros to the site

I'm the same! Did Reading, am now fussy! There's hardly any mud and the toilets get cleaned so it's beats Reading straight away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

Why can't you do your shows in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami? There are smaller venues than Revolution & The Culture room around here.

My shows? I'm not a booker, these aren't my shows. I just like it when people go to stuff so bands come back, so I'm just promoting.

Also, if I had to guess, I'd say because Ft. L and miami are far as hell, expensive to drive to and the crowd could suck. I've been to some dead rear end shows there. It's probably not worth the gamble. So there's one FL date because people will drive once and congregate, the band can probably break even and it's less of a drive back out.

If the band has a driver, that driver can only drive like...8 or 9 hours before he has to take a legally mandated break. Shows have been cancelled because TMs don't take that into account. It's what, 12 hours from ATL to Miami?